The Dark Knight Rises TDKR SPOILERS (read at your own risk) - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't see why they couldn't have just made [blackout]John Blake's[/blackout] name [blackout]Dick Grayson[/blackout]. It would have made this perfect for me. I appreciate the nod to the character but it will always seem like a foul ball and not the homerun it could have been.

-R

I think they are creating a new interpretation of the character. Just as in the comics, we had [blackout] Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Jason Todd, etc[/blackout], they have created John Blake. That's how I see it.

Okay, I have a lot of questions. For those who've seen it, can we discuss?

(1) Why does Bane want to start a revolution in Gotham when they're going to blow up the city anyway? Why not just detonate the nuke and finish the job?

(2) Is John Blake going to be the next Batman? Is he going to be Robin? Is he going to be some new superhero character? Or is all that left up to our interpretation?

(3) Why did Miranda Tate sleep with Bruce when all along she knew he killed his father, especially with this grand plan of destroying Gotham brewing in the back of her head? Is this an inconsistency?

(4) Why does Bane wear the mask? Was it because he was brutally beaten in the prison and it's like a life support or was it because he fell ill with some disease?

(5) Okay, so Bruce is completely done with being Batman? He's just living incognito in the world?

(6) Was the purpose of getting Bruce's prints to approve the transaction to tank Wayne Enterprises so that Tate's company could take over and they could get to the R&D equipment?

(7) What was Bane and his men doing at the Stock Exchange? Was it to tank Wayne Enterprises?

i know number six. to approve billion dollar deals i imagine there would be that kind of security involved. prolly even in real life.

I really don't see why they couldn't have just made [blackout]John Blake's[/blackout] name [blackout]Dick Grayson[/blackout]. It would have made this perfect for me. I appreciate the nod to the character but it will always seem like a foul ball and not the homerun it could have been.

-R

I disagree.

No, this was not Dick Grayson. He wasn't an orphan child from the circus. He was never fostered or taken in by Bruce Wayne. But despite that (which is pretty cheesy and lame if we want to get technical about it), Blake embodies the idea of a 'Robin', which to me, is indicative of a person who relates himself to Bruce Wayne (orphan) and is inspired to join (or continue) the Batman's war on crime. Furthermore, Blake (like Grayson) earns the trust of Bruce Wayne, we allows Blake to enter his 'world'.

So, in essence, IT'S EXACTLY ****ING THE SAME. I'm never shocked at the complaints of fanboys, but I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone agree with me yet. Just because we never see Batman fighting alongside a little kid in a unitard, 'this sucks'. And despite the ending of TDKR (which is a full conclusion that still leaves the future open-ended), who knows if we'd ever have seen Batman and Blake fighting alongside or working together in some capacity?

In my opinion, THANK GOD we didn't get the full Robin story from Nolan. It never would have worked in his series (didn't even work in Batman Forever...) and this concept is much better.

-R
This might help or not ... but it could be implied by Nolan that John Blake was originally Dick Grayson or Jason Todd. Blake could have been the name of his foster parents as it's common for foster parents to re-name their children.

The only thing that the film really changes is the more modernized society where it'd be unlikely that in real life Wayne would ever have a "ward" or "young sidekick".

i know number six. to approve billion dollar deals i imagine there would be that kind of security involved. prolly even in real life.

Is the purpose of the deal to get Tate's company to control Wayne Enterprises so that they could get to R&D?

-R
This will always irritate me too. Doesn't matter if we don't get to see the
circus origin
, but I'd have accepted
him as that character
modified for the film.

@East District

(2) Is John Blake going to be the next Batman? Is he going to be Robin? Is he going to be some new superhero character? Or is all that left up to our interpretation?

Remember how the Batsignal was fixed? I think he might become the new Batman. Bruce tells him the thing about Batman is that anyone can be him.

(3) Why did Miranda Tate sleep with Bruce when all along she knew he killed his father, especially with this grand plan of destroying Gotham brewing in the back of her head? Is this an inconsistency?

Maybe she planned on having his child? He did single-handedly to defeat the League of Shadows...

I think they are creating a new interpretation of the character. Just as in the comics, we had [blackout] Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Jason Todd, etc[/blackout], they have created John Blake. That's how I see it.

Okay, I have a lot of questions. For those who've seen it, can we discuss?

(1) Why does Bane want to start a revolution in Gotham when they're going to blow up the city anyway? Why not just detonate the nuke and finish the job?

(4) Why does Bane wear the mask? Was it because he was brutally beaten in the prison and it's like a life support or was it because he fell ill with some disease?

(5) Okay, so Bruce is completely done with being Batman? He's just living incognito in the world?

(6) Was the purpose of getting Bruce's prints to approve the transaction to tank Wayne Enterprises so that Tate's company could take over and they could get to the R&D equipment?

(7) What was Bane and his men doing at the Stock Exchange? Was it to tank Wayne Enterprises?

I think #3 was all about the false pretense of trust-building and then [BLACKOUT]executing a very heightened level of deception[/BLACKOUT]. Kind of continuing the [BLACKOUT]stab-you-in-the-back M.O. from her father's story[/BLACKOUT].

@Alvin Draper: Thanks, that makes a lot of sense now!

@gnisis: Well, the thing is, the Tate/Wayne scene happened AFTER Tate made the deal with Wayne Enterprises. So it seems kind of out of place. She seemed trustworthy before and after all that happened. I guess I feel that that part is a bit inconsistent.

I still loved the movie though, definitely topped The Dark Knight for me.

Does anyone else have answers to my other questions? I'm watching it again this Thursday, so I want to go in having fully understood everything.

something I read on a foreign movie forum bothers me !

It's said by someone who saw it that...well it's a good story but a good Bruce Wayne story, not Batman !

To all the people who've seen it too here: does Batman get enough screentime to have an impact ??:007

I disagree.

No, this was not Dick Grayson. He wasn't an orphan child from the circus. He was never fostered or taken in by Bruce Wayne. But despite that (which is pretty cheesy and lame if we want to get technical about it), Blake embodies the idea of a 'Robin', which to me, is indicative of a person who relates himself to Bruce Wayne (orphan) and is inspired to join (or continue) the Batman's war on crime. Furthermore, Blake (like Grayson) earns the trust of Bruce Wayne, we allows Blake to enter his 'world'.

So, in essence, IT'S EXACTLY ****ING THE SAME. I'm never shocked at the complaints of fanboys, but I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone agree with me yet. Just because we never see Batman fighting alongside a little kid in a unitard, 'this sucks'. And despite the ending of TDKR (which is a full conclusion that still leaves the future open-ended), who knows if we'd ever have seen Batman and Blake fighting alongside or working together in some capacity?

In my opinion, THANK GOD we didn't get the full Robin story from Nolan. It never would have worked in his series (didn't even work in Batman Forever...) and this concept is much better.

I agree with you big time. Havent seen the film yet but I love this
new concept of Robin
the Nolans created. They are geniuses.

Last edited:
something I read on a foreign movie forum bothers me !

It's said by someone who saw it that...well it's a good story but a good Bruce Wayne story, not Batman !

To all the people who've seen it too here: does Batman get enough screentime to have an impact ??:007

I've read at least 2 reviews myself that state there is not a lot of Batman in the movie. That kind of makes me nervous, but I'll withhold judgment until I see for myself.

Is Wayne manor left to the boys school or something?

Could be a future breeding ground for Batmen!

@theShape:

Just curious to hear your thoughts on this...[BLACKOUT]based on what we now know about the film, do you believe the ending could be a good jumping off point for something new, fresh, and a bit more fantastical?[/BLACKOUT]

To answer questions about Batman's screen time:

Yes, he actually appears in 3 scenes (all major) in the movie: His return, his fight with Bane in the sewer, and the finale. They're all long and important scenes, mind you, and whenever he is there, it is awesome.

Bruce Wayne IS Batman, so even though he doesn't have his mask and cape on, the story really is about the both of them. What happens to Bruce Wayne sets up all the stuff that happens to Batman. It was an incredible experience!

Did you have any specific issues with the movie? Anything you would have liked to have seen better executed?

@gnisis: Not sure who you're talking to, but I'll just put my two cents anyway.

I think any plot inconsistency (or what seemed to be inconsistencies) is overshadowed by the sheer scale and grandness of the film. It's truly the most epic Batman film ever made. To answer your question, it is extremely well made, not perfect, but very close to it IMO.

As for being a third film, TDKR is EASILY HANDS DOWN the best third film of any trilogy. It ends the trilogy by giving fans what we want: repeated references to the first two films, cameos by former cast members, flashbacks to events from Bruce's childhood, and brings Batman's journey full circle by giving us some amazing plot twists at the end. The last 30 minutes are the best last 30 minutes I've ever seen in a movie, I kept squealing over what they were doing.

(Side note: I felt that Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were vastly different in tone and setting. They used some CG for BB and nearly none for TDK. BB still felt like a bit like a comic book film whereas TDK felt completely grounded in reality. TDKR takes the realism of TDK and blends it with the mythology from BB. I'd say the tone and feel of each of the Batman movies are very different)

This is the greatest superhero movie of all time. When it cut to the credits, I couldn't believe what I just watched. It was enormously satisfying and it exceeded my expectations. I don't think I can watch Batman Begins and The Dark Knight anymore....they just really won't satisfy me because I'll keep comparing them to TDKR.

Last edited:
@gnisis: Not sure who you're talking to, but I'll just put my two cents anyway.

I think any plot inconsistency (or what seemed to be inconsistencies) is overshadowed by the sheer scale and grandness of the film. It's truly the most epic Batman film ever made. To answer your question, it is extremely well made, not perfect, but very close to it IMO.

As for being a third film, TDKR is EASILY HANDS DOWN the best third film of any trilogy. It ends the trilogy by giving fans what we want: repeated references to the first two films, cameos by former cast members, flashbacks to events from Bruce's childhood, and brings Batman's journey full circle by giving us some amazing plot twists at the end. The last 30 minutes are the best last 30 minutes I've ever seen in a movie, I kept squealing over what they were doing.

(Side note: I felt that Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were vastly different in tone and setting. They used some CG for BB and nearly none for TDK. BB still felt like a bit like a comic book film whereas TDK felt completely grounded in reality. TDKR takes the realism of TDK and blends it with the mythology from BB. I'd say the tone and feel of each of the Batman movies are very different)

This is the greatest superhero movie of all time. When it cut to the credits, I couldn't believe what I just watched. It was enormously satisfying and it exceeded my expectations. I don't think I can watch Batman Begins and The Dark Knight anymore....they just really won't satisfy me because I'll keep comparing them to TDKR.
quick question the siler 3 found on the soundtrack. Is it part of the movie??? thanks

sorry i meant to say if the song from trailer 3 is it feature on the movie.

Can someone answer this question, it really bugs me because it's a huge part of the movie (even if it's unanswered, it won't change how I felt about TDKR):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"