The Dark Knight Rises TDKR SPOILERS (read at your own risk) - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
one thing I noticed was that it seemed like some things were left on the cutting room floor and some scenes that should have been in there were missing. One thing I wish they would have shown was after his meeting with Blake,when he decides to finally leave the house, they should have shown that. Maybe a quick scene of him shaving that beard off. Looking at himself in the mirror and doing a bit of self reflection. I also think they should have shown Fox giving him the EMP gun and maybe even the little keychain thing that took out the paparazzi along with showing him the Bat before he went to the masquerade ball. Not after.

just a couple of nits. I wonder how much of the original script was revised. It could have possibly made 2 good movies. Have him thrown in pit and leave it cliffhanging there. Kind of an homage to the old tv series :)

one thing I noticed was that it seemed like some things were left on the cutting room floor and some scenes that should have been in there were missing. One thing I wish they would have shown was after his meeting with Blake,when he decides to finally leave the house, they should have shown that. Maybe a quick scene of him shaving that beard off. Looking at himself in the mirror and doing a bit of self reflection. I also think they should have shown Fox giving him the EMP gun and maybe even the little keychain thing that took out the paparazzi along with showing him the Bat before he went to the masquerade ball. Not after.

just a couple of nits.
I'm glad that didn't make it into the film.

No..my point is that why did he make all his friends suffer and mourn if he was going to tell them he was alive anyway? He could've called.

It was kind of a dick move, wasn't it?

The whole point is that he wanted Bruce Wayne to be dead so he could start a new life. Why is that so hard to understand?

Why does Bruce Wayne have to be dead for Bruce Wayne to have a new life? What prevents him from just living as Bruce Wayne?

It's not forced drama. It's the perfect ending. The dude saved Gotham from a nuke that was seconds away from detonating. You cannot possibly retire on a higher note. There is no threat to Gotham that could possibly be more severe that...he'd given the city everything but his life, and he finally realized that is where he'd draw the line.

Oh, I think you can definitely retire on a higher note. So because he faced the biggest thread of all...he decided to fake his death? Just...because?

The genius of this movie is that Bruce willingly engineered his own fake sacrifice.

That isn't genius. It's soap opera 101.

Because in that pit, he regained the desire to live. To truly live, away from Batman. Stopping that bomb was his "last mission", and Bruce knows it from the get-go. He realizes by the end that he wants what Selina wants: a clean slate, a new start. Which is why it's so beautiful that they end up together.

But I don't recall him going "I don't want to be Bruce Wayne anymore" in the Pit. So then why couldn't he live as Bruce Wayne? Why does he need to fake his own death on both counts?

No one knows Bruce Wayne is Batman. No one's hunting him as either one of them. Had Batman been outed as Bruce Wayne...then yes, Bruce faking his and Batman's death would have made some sense. But he wasn't. No one knew Bruce was Batman but Gordon.

It seems they just wanted melodrama. Dramatic statue unveiling scene. Speeches. The scene with Fox. Alfred crying. Etc.

The bottom line is that based on what's in the film, he apparently fakes his death for no apparent reason other than being dramatic, and to make The Batman a symbol...which The Batman was anyway, and would have been had he saved Gotham and survived, especially since Blake was apparently going to take over as Batman.

Even with that, I can see why Batman would fake his death, to allow Bruce an exit.

But why the hell would Bruce Wayne need to appear dead as well?

Its like he faked his death for no reason.

First Bruce is not retiring; second John Blake is not going to be Batman. Let me break this down. John Blake is just a police officer who could not make detective on his own, Gordon had to make him detective then he only has police training and contrary to what Bruce said anyone can’t just be Batman, it took him 7 years of training. If Bruce let him try to be Batman he would be dead the first time a major criminal hits town, and you know they will because everyone thinks Batman is dead.

I know this is never going to happen, but I'd love for a limited (4 issue or so) comic book series starring John Blake as Batman/Robin/Nightwing...

I know this is never going to happen, but I'd love for a limited (4 issue or so) comic book series starring John Blake as Batman/Robin/Nightwing...

I would be in favor if the Nolan-verse continued in comic form.

Even with that, I can see why Batman would fake his death, to allow Bruce an exit.

But why the hell would Bruce Wayne need to appear dead as well?

Its like he faked his death for no reason.

I'm with you. It was for dramatic purposes only. For months they were hinting that Batman was going to die at the end of this film. They wanted the audience to think Bruce Wayne died and be all happy and relieved and cheer when we found out he wasn't dead. Alfred wanted Bruce to move on and have a happy life, not fake his death and and move on and have a happy life. I was okay with the ending because it worked. I was happy, relieved and cheered at the cafe scene just like the wanted. I don't get why he put Alfred through all that pain at the end. What if he heard Batman died and hung himself because he felt like he failed Bruce and his parents?

First Bruce is not retiring; second John Blake is not going to be Batman. Let me break this down. John Blake is just a police officer who could not make detective on his own, Gordon had to make him detective then he only has police training and contrary to what Bruce said anyone can’t just be Batman, it took him 7 years of training. If Bruce let him try to be Batman he would be dead the first time a major criminal hits town, and you know they will because everyone thinks Batman is dead.

Bruce is dead to the world outside of his little circle. Blake was obviously well trained and didn't like the shackles and restrictions of working for the police department.

Bruce also made several references to Blake having to wear a mask meaning he did trust the torch in Blake's hands.

Blake was obviously well trained and didn't like the shackles and restrictions of working for the police department.

He was well trained the first thing you learn is police training is basic Judo throws which he had no knowledge of. Bruce trust him enough to train him but he's not going to be Batman, he didn't even know enough for Gordon to get the drop on him. Like I said he didn't past the detective exam Gordon made him a detective. that's just like any police trying to be Batman and if he comes upon someone with a little bit of combat training he dead.

Actuallyy....I'm down for some nolanverse comics. That could be cool maybe have nolan bros have some quick ideas and other writers flesh it out.

I just had a thought...I don't know if it of any value...but wouldn't it have been cool. if during the Crane court scene...Harvey Dent would have been the lawyer. And when it was Gordon's turn he would've have to flipped the coin and it would turn out to be heads and he would have to help Jim take back Gotham? just a thought but it still makes sense why he died. but just maybe...

Actuallyy....I'm down for some nolanverse comics. That could be cool maybe have nolan bros have some quick ideas and other writers flesh it out.

Yep. Maybe he could take down a villain that we never saw onscreen. Like the Riddler or something.

And I got the impression that Blake would be doing something along the lines of what Bruce did. The little hints for me were, Blake quitting the police force... and Blake's "rise" (literally) as the final shot in the movie. Maybe he won't be Batman, but he'll be doing something similar.

What book was Gordon reading from at the end? Was it A Tale of Two Cities? It didn't sound like a bible verse

Nolan wasn't making Dark Knight Returns.

elements of this story parallel the Miller books. why so adamant against one little scene that would simply highlight his change of heart?

Apparently Gordon reads the last line of Two Cities...but he reads it from the middle of the book.

^ That. That is why people on these boards can get irritating.

I didn't notice it. A friend of mine did. Tale of Two Cities is like her favorite book.

I didn't notice it. A friend of mine did. Tale of Two Cities is like her favorite book.

It was just the lines. I never saw the book being labeled... though I could have missed it. Needless to say, the lines have been published in many books or it could have been a little note that Gordon wrote down and was using as a bookmark sort of thing.

When an ending makes absolutely no logical sense, it isnt brilliant or fitting. It is just a forced melodrama and a forced twist. The minute I left the theater, I talked to my friend about it and he said I had a point he didnt think about it and agreed with me.

TDKR isn't a bad movie by any means. It's epic and emotional. But the glaring plot-holes and absurdity of some things really brings it down and the excuse of being a comic book movie isn't enough to save all these problems.

This movie is barely a 7 and i`m being generous just because I'm a Batman fan and Chris Nolan has done so well in this Trilogy. But it is clear to me he got lost in the scope of this movie and really didn't analyze the script that much. It is a shame.

ps:so now we will understand the movie better and forgive some of its plot-holes after reading the novel? LMAO

If Chris wanted to put those things in the movie, he would've.

Last edited:
When an ending makes absolutely no logical sense, it isnt brilliant or fitting. It is just a forced melodrama and a forced twist. The minute I left the theater, I talked to my friend about it and he said I had a point he didnt think about it and agreed with me.

TDKR isn't a bad movie by any means. It's epic and emotional. But the glaring plot-holes and absurdity of some things really brings it down and the excuse of being a comic book movie isn't enough to save all these problems.

This movie is barely a 7 and i`m being generous just because I'm a Batman fan and Chris Nolan has done so well in this Trilogy. But it is clear to me he got lost in the scope of this movie and really didn't analyze the script that much. It is a shame.

ps:so now we will understand the movie better and forgive some of its plot-holes after reading the novel? LMAO

If Chris wanted to put those things in the movie, he would've.

7/10 is a great score...for something like the Hunger Games. But from Chris Nolan, you expect something more. I also give it about a 7 out of 10. I wonder if Superman and whatever else was too much of a distraction for some of these guys in pre-production or other worse behind-the-scenese problems.

It hurts because Im a Batman fan and because I loved the other movies so much. I expected 10 out 10 or a 9 at least. A 7 isn't enough for an ending. :(

I really wanted to love it like a lot of people in this forum, the general audience or even critics. But I don't. I feel really disappointed and this feeling sucks. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"