The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad they're bringing back the old suit. If the ASM2 slightly altered the first movie's suit, I'd let them slide, but because they're so drastically different, I'm glad we're getting to see a transition.

As it is now, any explanation is akin to: "Oh, yeah, here's X reason (suit gets torn, Gwen designs it, etc...) Peter needs a new costume" when in reality we understand it's the execs saying, "we need to sell more toys". It's just a paper thin facade. It's nothing new, but it's completely lame to claim there's no other way.

i personally doubt its just for selling toys

-Or the movie could start with the new suit and we, the audience could intuit that peter made himself a new costume with a new design. It's not a huge leap of faith on the audiences' behalf there. lol.

As it is now, any explanation is akin to: "Oh, yeah, here's X reason (suit gets torn, Gwen designs it, etc...) Peter needs a new costume" when in reality we understand it's the execs saying, "we need to sell more toys". It's just a paper thin facade. It's nothing new, but it's completely lame to claim there's no other way.

But maybe you're right. It's cool if they have the old suit in the beginning and then transition to the new suit. It's keeping in perfect following with the emulation of Nolan's Batman films.

I would prefer this option.

if the first suit does appear in the sequel i think webb will explain why and how he gets or make the new suit

Why? Gwen Stacy wanted to make Peter a more "clean" suit...and she hated his leg stripes and the shoes.

How? Gwen Stacy has the money to buy better material.

-Or the movie could start with the new suit and we, the audience could intuit that peter made himself a new costume with a new design. It's not a huge leap of faith on the audiences' behalf there. lol.

But maybe you're right. It's cool if they have the old suit in the beginning and then transition to the new suit. It's keeping in perfect following with the emulation of Nolan's Batman films.

Considering your outright negativity and overall pessimism, I could see them starting the movie with a new suit without an explanation and then you claim they should have provided a reason for the change and since they didn't, it's lazy writing.

Why? Gwen Stacy wanted to make Peter a more "clean" suit...and she hated his leg stripes and the shoes.

How? Gwen Stacy has the money to buy better material.

I still like the idea that she creates the design out of an attempt to help his public image.

Considering your outright negativity and overall pessimism, I could see them starting the movie with a new suit without an explanation and then you claim they should have provided a reason for the change and since they didn't, it's lazy writing.

Huh? How would that make sense? I offered that as a solution. Why would I "complain" about it? Oh right, because I make critical observations about what I perceive as poor creative choices, that makes me a negative, pessimistic "hater". So simple.

I'd have prefered them not changing the costume so drastically in the first place, so no explanation or anything of the sort would be needed at all.

What's wrong with Gwen making the new suit for Peter because it better falls under the "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man" motif? This movie is including some obscure things from the comics (Ravencroft isn't widely known), it appears that Webb is trying to make the most "Spider-Man inspired" Spider-Man movie yet. Like the definitive Spider-Man movie, but at the same time wrapping it up in the universe he's established. Peter didn't make the original suit with heroics in mind, so why not have him recieve a more "heroic" looking suit since he's become widely known and has to maintain a public image as a hero? No need to be so cyncial.

I still like the idea that she creates the design out of an attempt to help his public image.

Gwen: "Listen, you need to clean up your public image- People HATE leg stripes and shoes, so those have to go. Also, mismatched colored gloves. Those just won't do."

I'd have prefered them not changing the costume so drastically in the first place, so no explanation or anything of the sort would be needed at all.

Nor would I. I thought the ASM suit was perfectly fine and just a few simple changes would have been enough from movie to movie. The fact that they did change the suit so drastically however warrants an explanation. Even a simple reason such as Gwen making it to help his public image would be sufficient enough. Without one, the audience may end up scratching their heads as to why he went from one design to the next without reason. They may be able to accept it just the same too, the difference being that Webb decided to include a reason and those tiny details are nice touches that we as fans appreciate.

What's wrong with Gwen making the new suit for Peter because it better falls under the "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man" motif? This movie is including some obscure things from the comics (Ravencroft isn't widely known), it appears that Webb is trying to make the most "Spider-Man inspired" Spider-Man movie yet. Like the definitive Spider-Man movie, but at the same time wrapping it up in the universe he's established. Peter didn't make the original suit with heroics in mind, so why not have him recieve a more "heroic" looking suit since he's become widely known and has to maintain a public image as a hero? No need to be so cyncial.

What's so "un-heroic" about his suit in TASM?

Yeah the public image thing doesn't make sense to me. Gwen making the suit might, if his old one is mangled or whatnot...but there isn't an insane difference between the two suits that screams one is more "friendly"...to me anyway.

Gwen: "Listen, you need to clean up your public image- People HATE leg stripes and shoes, so those have to go. Also, mismatched colored gloves. Those just won't do."

IMO the new suit has a "friendlier" vibe to it...larger eyes, softer colors, etc. The ASM suit imo looked 'mean' and insect-like. So, yeah, creating the design to help with his public image is plausible.

What's so "un-heroic" about his suit in TASM?

The texture is really harsh, the colors are kind of dark, it has a gritty look to it. The shape of the eyes are narrow and kind of threatning. The new suit looks softer, less gimmicky, and the eyes
make the suit appear more expressive and maybe even a little innocent, also considering that they're white.

The texture is really harsh, the colors are kind of dark, it has a gritty look to it. The shape of the eyes are narrow and kind of threatning. The new suit looks softer, less gimmicky, and the eyes
make the suit appear more expressive and maybe even a little innocent, also considering that they're white.

Ok. So the colors are "softer" and it looks "friendlier"...therefore, it's more heroic? By that account, Batman has the most un-heroic costume of all.

If this is really the way you think...then...

tumblr_m29zmfwAk51r5jtugo1_500.gif

Ok. So the colors are "softer" and it looks "friendlier"...therefore, it's more heroic? By that account, Batman has the most un-heroic costume of all.

Batman is a darker figure though. Menace and fear is his thing, not so much with Spidey, who's lighter in a darker world. The new suit looks more "iconic", streamlined, and clean. It looks less threatning, which means it looks more heroic. It's more symbolic looking, going hand in hand with the iconic thing. Seriously, you try so hard to make yourself sound like the one who's always "right".

Last edited:

But that's the point. Batman doesn't dress up to look like a hero. His costume is designed to scare bad guys, not look like the "god damn (friendly neighborhood) batman".

Last edited:

That's how it's supposed to be. Spiderman is suppose to be a people's hero and that's why the new suit and Batman is suppose to look like that because he works more with stealth and he is supposed to vigilante not a superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"