The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - - Part 86

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing I really think is hilarious is when people try to say that us fans of the movie are in denial. You don't speak for me. You can't read my mind.

I could just as easily say that you're in denial. You didn't like the movie because you didn't want to like the movie. You wanted Spidey in the MCU. That statement is no more or less valid than what you said.

But I don't say that. Because it's not true. You have your opinions and we have ours. But I'm not "in denial" about anything.
As much as I dislike TASM2, I would never say someone is "in denial" for saying they like it. I genuinely believe that you love this movie and wouldn't make such accusations against you. :up:

Out of general interest, what are some things you guys liked about the Amazing Spider-man movies?

I liked the chemistry between certain characters (Peter & Gwen, Peter & Aunt May, Peter & Uncle Ben), Electro's design, Oscorp tower, the build-up to Norman Osborn in TASM1 (although it wasn't worth the payoff), the costume in TASM2, Dane DeHaan's portrayal of Harry Osborn (not the writing), and Horner's theme song.

Out of general interest, what are some things you guys liked about the Amazing Spider-man movies?
  1. The moves, the way Spidey moves in those movies is amazing.
  2. I really like Spider-Man's moments helping children, the one in the burning car, and the one attacked by bullies.
  3. Both costumes look really good for their respective movies.
  4. Peter learning responsibility without his uncle telling him the "Great Power/Great Responsibility" line. Ben telling him that was made up for the 90s cartoon, and it served a purpose in the long running arc there. For the first Raimi film it feels like it came just because it's the line that defines superheroes as defined in Spider-Man's origin.
  5. I'm one of the people who like the parents story.
  6. Gwen Stacy is not the "cool in one movies, annoyingly mad and grumpy for little reason in the second.", she's a fine person throughout the story.
  7. Another thing I like is when Peter pretended to be a doctor at Harvard, it's a silly move, but he wanted to do Gwen a favor in his own gullible inexperienced -but nice- kind of way.
  8. Spider-Man waiting for the cop to come at the point he was standing at when he saw the cop. It did not feel like he was trying to deliver a quip or anything, he wanted to say "Hi officer, this guy I just webbed to a wall tried to steal a car". But then the cops shoots at him and Spider-Man has a decent reason to feel frustrated and talk back to the cop.
  9. At the dinner table at the Stacy's place, Peter was nice and calm when he was defending his reasoning, still inexperienced in how to better express things, but he was nice, and stood up for himself, without being rude or shouting, both George Stacy and Peter Parker allowed the other guy to complete what he was saying, and I love that.

2. I really like Spider-Man's moments helping children, the one in the burning car, and the one attacked by bullies.
  4. Peter learning responsibility without his uncle telling him the "Great Power/Great Responsibility" line. Ben telling him that was made up for the 90s cartoon, and it served a purpose in the long running arc there. For the first Raimi film it feels like it came just because it's the line that defines superheroes as defined in Spider-Man's origin.
  6. Gwen Stacy is not the "cool in one movies, annoyingly mad and grumpy for little reason in the second.", she's a fine person throughout the story.
  7. Another thing I like is when Peter pretended to be a doctor at Harvard, it's a silly move, but he wanted to do Gwen a favor in his own gullible inexperienced -but nice- kind of way.
  8. Spider-Man waiting for the cop to come at the point he was standing at when he saw the cop. It did not feel like he was trying to deliver a quip or anything, he wanted to say "Hi officer, this guy I just webbed to a wall tried to steal a car". But then the cops shoots at him and Spider-Man has a decent reason to feel frustrated and talk back to the cop.
  9. At the dinner table at the Stacy's place, Peter was nice and calm when he was defending his reasoning, still inexperienced in how to better express things, but he was nice, and stood up for himself, without being rude or shouting, both George Stacy and Peter Parker allowed the other guy to complete what he was saying, and I love that.
I agree with most of these points. :up:

Great post, Aziz.

Emma Stone as Gwen
The TASM 2 costume
Sally Field as Aunt May

Not much else I really liked. This franchise is no great loss, that's why the reaction to the Marvel deal has been universally positive, minus a very small minority of dissenting voices (no offense Daltonio and Co.).

Emma Stone as Gwen
The TASM 2 costume
Sally Field as Aunt May

Not much else I really liked. This franchise is no great loss, that's why the reaction to the Marvel deal has been universally positive, minus a very small minority of dissenting voices (no offense Daltonio and Co.).
I agree with your good points.

I will never accept a Spider-Man franchise that pushes Uncle Ben into the background.

I've come to realize that Gwen Stacy is only great because of Emma Stone because as written she is nothing but a flawless dream girl for geeks. That's not a real character.

Emma Stone as Gwen
The TASM 2 costume
Sally Field as Aunt May

This :up:

Emma Stone as Gwen
The TASM 2 costume
Sally Field as Aunt May

This. It's sad,but true.

I agree with what Joker said. Not enough for me to even consider purchasing on blu-Ray.

The clocktower fight and the electro fight were storyboarded well, but holy hell are they exceedingly cheesy. I mean, damn. It doesn't help that the neon soaked, primary color look of the film reminded me of Batman Forever.

I know it seems contradictory lamenting a comic book film for being colorful. But this is still a film. A certain level of grit (oh noes) is needed. Even the MCU films, as over the top as they are, didn't shoot up into this level of blinding colors everywhere.

Clock tower scene was actually a pretty good replacement for the bridge scene in the comics. I mean, there aren't a whole lot of superhero films that does clock towers.

I really liked the suits in both movies, and I didn't hate this franchise the way some people seem to or claim to.

I agree with your good points.

I will never accept a Spider-Man franchise that pushes Uncle Ben into the background.

I've come to realize that Gwen Stacy is only great because of Emma Stone because as written she is nothing but a flawless dream girl for geeks. That's not a real character.

I agree. She was a little too "Miss Perfect". Comic book Gwen was not that much sweetness and light, and had more fire to her character. And more flaws. Which made her more well rounded.

This. It's sad,but true.

I agree with what Joker said. Not enough for me to even consider purchasing on blu-Ray.

Thank you, gents.

or watch ever again.

I don't think I could sit through either of them again. Not even drunk.

The clocktower fight and the electro fight were storyboarded well, but holy hell are they exceedingly cheesy. I mean, damn. It doesn't help that the neon soaked, primary color look of the film reminded me of Batman Forever.

I know it seems contradictory lamenting a comic book film for being colorful. But this is still a film. A certain level of grit (oh noes) is needed. Even the MCU films, as over the top as they are, didn't shoot up into this level of blinding colors everywhere.

I concur :up:

I liked the chemistry between certain characters (Peter & Gwen, Peter & Aunt May, Peter & Uncle Ben), Electro's design, Oscorp tower, the build-up to Norman Osborn in TASM1 (although it wasn't worth the payoff), the costume in TASM2, Dane DeHaan's portrayal of Harry Osborn (not the writing), and Horner's theme song.

SM_WoS_Electro_by_OrionSTARB0Y.jpg

http://yjsnpi114514.deviantart.com/art/SM-WoS-Electro-173253463

When I saw this Electro design (left), I fell in love. It looks tremendously cool to me, that punk-ish, flamboyant street thug vibe. It would have meant a totally different approach to the character, obviously. I thought TASM2's was ok initially, but it's way too similar to Hellboy's Abe Sapien. I'd bet someone in the production must have brought it up at some point, evidently to no avail.

Emma Stone as Gwen
The TASM 2 costume
Sally Field as Aunt May

Agreed.:up: The women were the only ones to give good performances, IMO. It's not that Gwen was written all that great, but Stone was cute enough to make it work.

And Field is a talented vet. She could play that role in her sleep and win an Oscar.

I'm not as enamored with TASM 2 costume as others are. The eyes are kinda big,and Garfield wasn't really bulky enough to make it work. (I get some like their spidey super-skinny,but that's a debate for a different time.) I much preferred the Raimi costume.

• I never get too caught up about celebrities outside of films (their personal life, gossip, etc.), but the one celebrity I've genuinely adored playing Gwen was the best thing about these movies.

• The tone of TASM1.

• Denis Leary Captain Stacy.

• Spidey's suit in night shots of TASM1, all throughout TASM2.

• Sally Field as Aunt May.

• Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben and his relationship with Peter reminded me of the relationship I had with my uncle.

• The web-swinging in both films (especially the beginning of TASM2).

• The Oscorp tower.

Those are things I liked off the top of my head, but I'll add more if I think of something else.

A sm that acted like sm unlike in sm 1-3. A much better actor in AG and peter felt more like a real teen. ASM2 suit was perfect and slightly better then the already great sm 1-3 suit, better love story, web swinging and finally less cheesy then sm 1-3 oh and asm2 by far the best soundtrack in a sm movie. Also the fights where great not quit has good has raimi's but still great and I liked that they had him use his webs in the fights more then in sm 1-3 with less punches has it made it different then sm 1-3. The parents story line it didn't take away form the movie like people act like and was just enough of it. Also asm2 is one of the most emotion CBM and one of the CBM where I cary about the charaters the most.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"