The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion & Speculation Thread - - - - - - P - - Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet, it didn't seem to worthy enough to ruinnthe entire movie.
Something tells me though, that people would be a lot more acceptive of change if Chris Nolan was doing it than if Marc Webb did.

Depends on the change. All are not equal.

Had Nolan done something really drastic (ex. if Gordon was really dead after the assassination attempt in TDK), fans would not have accepted it at all.

Nolan does get away with a little bit because he's already made two excellent films and because nobody has actually seen the third yet, but if it is disappointing, the knives will come out in a hurry.

Last edited:
I know this is OT and I don't want to start anything, but how close has the Dark Knight trilogy been to the original source material? I know Nolan borrowed elements of story arcs and graphic novels, but how close has it been to the comics? Rachel Dawes was never a character, right? Two-Face was "born" when a criminal threw acid in his face during a trial not apart of the Joker's scheme, Batman doesn't kill in comics right except for the really old ones, is Fox a real character?
I have no idea this relates to TASM, but no Rachael is Nolan-created character basically an emotional anchor for Bruce for the trilogy. Yes, he has taken several liberties with certain characters and their origins, yes Lucius Fox is a character from the comics which i thought was perfect casting with Mr. Freeman.

Depends on the change. All are not equal.

Had Nolan done something really drastic (ex. if Gordon was really dead after the assassination attempt in TDK), fans would not have accepted it at all.

Nolan does get away with a little bit because he's already made two excellent films and because nobody has actually seen the third yet, but if it is disappointing, the knives will come out in a hurry.

That could be considered drastic, because it goes against the character's code to not kill people, especially so early in his career. But basically what I was saying is that it's ok for Nolan to do something, but not ok for Webb to.
Case in point, if you ever see any commentors with a TDK avatar talking crap about TASM because of Webb changing some things.

I have no idea this relates to TASM, but no Rachael is Nolan-created character basically an emotional anchor for Bruce for the trilogy. Yes, he has taken several liberties with certain characters and their origins, yes Lucius Fox is a character from the comics which i thought was perfect casting with Mr. Freeman.

Thanks. Yeah, I said my post was OT: Off-Topic. lol Back to the discussion at hand now.

That could be considered drastic, because it goes against the character's code to not kill people, especially so early in his career. But basically what I was saying is that it's ok for Nolan to do something, but not ok for Webb to.
Case in point, if you ever see any commentors with a TDK avatar talking crap about TASM because of Webb changing some things.

It wasn't okay for Nolan to do that. Like I said, it was probably the top complaint among Batman fans. But at the same time it didn't invalidate the other 99% of the film. Some never did get over it, but they are a minority.

It also had the advantage of being a singular moment at the end of the film, rather than a larger plot-point that would end up being an anchor to the rest of the movie. So the damage wasn't as great as it could have been.

Last edited:
It wasn't okay for Nolan to do that. Like I said, it was probably the top complaint among Batman fans. But at the same time it didn't invalidate the other 99% of the film. Some never did get over it, but they are a minority.

It also had the advantage of being a singular moment at the end of the film, rather than a larger plot-point that would end up being an anchor to the rest of the movie. So the damage wasn't as great as it could have been.

I just hope that TASM isn't a disappoint on a very large scale, because then I'd feel stupid for defending it against people for over a year that kept saying it was going to suck and complained about very minor and stupid things (Andrew's hair, which gets discussed A LOT for some reason).
I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it though. Because I liked the movie The Punisher and Daredevil (which IMO if you watch now, it seems to match Nolan's Batman movies tone pretty closely, even though it came out before them).

I love the Director's Cut of Daredevil. It is one of my favorite comic book films, although I know I'm in the minority.

I did not like any of the three Punisher movies, although the Thomas Jane one was the best of them.

I wouldn't feel stupid for defending the film. All we have to go on are trailers, sneak peaks, and photos and people have different opinions of those just like they do with the final product. I haven't liked what I have seen thus far, but I don't know what the end film will be like. I probably won't bother seeing it until it comes on TV though if the reviews are awful. If anyone feels otherwise, they are entitled to their opinion.

I have a treat for you guys. A TV Spot made by myself for The Amazing Spider-Man. Be warned though it does contain sequences that some of you may not have seen. Hope you guys enjoy.

http://youtu.be/R1W94lVAyrg

I love the Director's Cut of Daredevil. It is one of my favorite comic book films, although I know I'm in the minority.

I did not like any of the three Punisher movies, although the Thomas Jane one was the best of them.

I wouldn't feel stupid for defending the film. All we have to go on are trailers, sneak peaks, and photos and people have different opinions of those just like they do with the final product. I haven't liked what I have seen thus far, but I don't know what the end film will be like. I probably won't bother seeing it until it comes on TV though if the reviews are awful. If anyone feels otherwise, they are entitled to their opinion.

I know, but I feel like a lot of the reviews for this movie will seem unfair.
Critics are of course going to compare TASM to Raimi's Spider-Man, so they might say things like "The movie doesnt have that same upbeat charm as Raimi's did" or things around those lines. Also, since this movie is more geared towards reality, the dialogue will probably be more like how real people talk. The thing about a lot of movies is that it seems almost like the characters prepare speeches before they speak, saying really complex sentences and things like that. And some if the dialogue is more natural in Webb's Spider-Man, then some critics and audiences may believe the dialogue is "poorly written", if you get what I'm saying.

Are you seriously saying that you think it looks bad??? Cause than, my friend, you just gave me the biggest laugh of the week.

This is more of a comment on the "practical web swinging".

I don't like how different the practical and the CGI web swinging looks. Spider-Man instantly looks more agile, light and fast once the CGI kicks in. It makes the CGI all the more apparent.

If you aren't going to catch the same range of speed and motion with the practical stuff, not sure why you do it.

This is more of a comment on the "practical web swinging".

I don't like how different the practical and the CGI web swinging looks. Spider-Man instantly looks more agile, light and fast once the CGI kicks in. It makes the CGI all the more apparent.

If you aren't going to catch the same range of speed and motion with the practical stuff, not sure why you do it.

The pratical web swinging is when he first starts doing it, so he isn't going to be as daring as when he gets the hang of it. Plus he was under a bridge when he was doing the pratical swinging, and the other times he's like 200-300 feet off the ground, so he'll have more room and freedom to do those sort of things.

The pratical web swinging is when he first starts doing it, so he isn't going to be as daring as when he gets the hang of it. Plus he was under a bridge when he was doing the pratical swinging, and the other times he's like 200-300 feet off the ground, so he'll have more room and freedom to do those sort of things.

Spidey's agility makes tight spaces a non-issue. In fact moving swiftly in small spaces is a big thing for him.

Spider-Man is one of those characters you can really only do via CG or animation. He moves way too creepy and fast for practical stuntwork.

[YT]USfB3207cSo&feature=related[/YT]

Extended carjacker scene.
I totally, totally LOLed when Spider just sat in the car chilling for a few seconds before making his presence known. :lmao:

And judging from his whoops, it looks like that's the first time he tries swinging like that?

I know this is OT and I don't want to start anything, but how close has the Dark Knight trilogy been to the original source material? I know Nolan borrowed elements of story arcs and graphic novels, but how close has it been to the comics? Rachel Dawes was never a character, right? Two-Face was "born" when a criminal threw acid in his face during a trial not apart of the Joker's scheme, Batman doesn't kill in comics right except for the really old ones, is Fox a real character?
Plot points are borrowed heavily from several renowned Batman graphic novels, although neither could be considered straight adaptations of any comic. Year One for BB, and The Long Halloween for TDK. From what we've seen so far, TDKR looks like it'll be influenced by The Dark Knight Returns and No Man's Land. Probably Knightfall too.

It isn't the specificities of how close they are to the source material, but the spirit of them. For BB, it was mainly the relationship between Gordon and Batman that contained the spirit of Year One. For TDK, it was the mob getting into everything and destroying Harvey Dent that mirrored The Long Halloween.

I don't think anyone would get up in arms here if ASM didn't follow the comics canon to a tee, as long as the movie contained the spirit of the comics we know.

That's probably because Nolan has worked his way up, with no bad films under his resume. It would be easier for me to accept these changes if Nolan was directing. He is proven, unlike Webb.
Nolan honestly hadn't really done squat before he was given Batman Begins. :funny: It was definitely a leap of faith for WB.

I have a treat for you guys. A TV Spot made by myself for The Amazing Spider-Man. Be warned though it does contain sequences that some of you may not have seen. Hope you guys enjoy.

http://youtu.be/R1W94lVAyrg
Sweet! It's like all the Spidey action in one TV spot. Me likely! :applaud

Spider-Man is one of those characters you can really only do via CG or animation. He moves way too creepy and fast for practical stuntwork.

I agree. But I think if you are going to go the practical route, you need to temper the CGI. Some of the crazy stuff they have already shown makes the practical bits just look terrible.

Spidey's agility makes tight spaces a non-issue. In fact moving swiftly in small spaces is a big thing for him.
Not true. There's plenty of times where spidey has mentioned needing to get out in the open in order to better fight a guy. Spidey is all about jumping and swinging, etc. he needs that open space to be effective.

And again, the majority of the practical stuff is earlier in the film when he's new to it. This has been confirmed by Webb.

Not true. There's plenty of times where spidey has mentioned needing to get out in the open in order to better fight a guy. Spidey is all about jumping and swinging, etc. he needs that open space to be effective.

And again, the majority of the practical stuff is earlier in the film when he's new to it. This has been confirmed by Webb.

In small spaces Peter suddenly loses the ability to manipulate his body with very little start up?

In the trailers for this very film they show Peter creating a huge amount of speed and force from near dead stops.

In small spaces Peter suddenly loses the ability to manipulate his body with very little start up?

In the trailers for this very film they show Peter creating a huge amount of speed and force from near dead stops.

Like we said, when he gets used to this stuff. They also used the practical effects to help with creating more weight for the CGI aspects of him.

That's why he doesn't seem to glide through the air as much as Raimi's Spidey did.

Does anyone really think that Marc Webb is going to leave after this movie? I feel like if this is successful, it would be a bit of a waste for him to just abandon ship.

I don't know whether or not to call this the "Marc Webb trilogy." If a new director comes along, that means the tone and direction will be very different (take X-Men: the Last Stand).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"