Sequels The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly.
As I said in the other thread: you don't kill the goose that laid the golden (billion + dollar) egg.

Marvel would be absolutely suicidal to start killing off their franchises, many before they even get really started.

Reel it in, peeps. Give these franchises *at least* a decade before you start trying to destroy them.

You guys can talk about how ridiculous it sounds all you want, I don't necessarily disagree. But what other story arc is SO popular that all the issues and GN is sold out and is apart of that collection posted other than Death of Cap? Add to the fact that logo looks exactly like Agent Rogers' uniform logo and it's hard not to believe.

Cap isn't the goose, Iron Man is. I think Tony will be killed in the beginning of A2 but revived somehow towards the end, but Cap ends up dead instead. Or something happens to him in TWS. We know he'll literally be teaming up with SHIELD in the film so it's not farfetched that he becomes Agent Rogers..

Lots of story arcs would be sold out, lol. And how is Death of Cap a part of that collection? Just b/c there's some Cap comics in there? Those Cap comics are both really early issues

Marvel isn't going to kill off any of the big four.

Save the deaths for when you put a franchise to rest for a few years before recasting. Killing Cap off now would be dumb.

Save the deaths for when you put a franchise to rest for a few years before recasting. Killing Cap off now would be dumb.
Thing is, they wouldn't be killing off Cap, they'd be killing off Steve Rogers. And like I said, they're fighting Thanos. Death is going to be a big part of their battle with him, and it would be a huge cop out if none of the heroes got the shaft in the film. We already know Joss said he's going to dig a painful knife deep into the team. What better way than seemingly killing off Tony at the beginning, then killing off Steve at the end? I'm not advocating for a Death of Cap storyline right now, I think it's too early as well, but that's one of the only stories that make sense right now.

Lots of story arcs would be sold out, lol. And how is Death of Cap a part of that collection? Just b/c there's some Cap comics in there? Those Cap comics are both really early issues

Marvel isn't going to kill off any of the big four.
It's clear that he was referring to a VERY popular storyline, the type that people still talk about. For one thing, only a handful of storylines have gotten Graphic Novels, much less sold out of them. None of those comics there make sense besides Cap's.

EDIT: One of those Cap issues (issue 100) actually involves a SHIELD agent posing as an ally of Baren Zemo being ordered to shoot Cap.

Last edited:
Rogers *is* Cap.

Anyway if you're seriously hoping for this I expect you will be disappointed.

It's clear that he was referring to a VERY popular storyline, the type that people still talk about. For one thing, only a handful of storylines have gotten Graphic Novels, much less sold out of them. None of those comics there make sense besides Cap's.
Are you serious? Almost every storyline Marvel has ever published has been reprinted as a trade paperback/graphic novel by now, lol. Certainly any arc involving any of the characters they'd be putting in a movie.

Rogers *is* Cap.
Exactly. That was literally what the point of BuckyCap was. Rogers was such a singular force of good for so long that Bucky could never be Cap, no matter how long he wore the costume. But he'd do it anyway.

You can't tell that story to movie audiences at this point.

I feel like some people here just look at the plot points of these stories in a vacuum instead of considering what gives them weight and makes them matter

Rogers *is* Cap.

Anyway if you're seriously hoping for this I expect you will be disappointed.
I specifically said I didn't want this to happen in the post. :/

Are you serious? Almost every storyline Marvel has ever published has been reprinted as a trade paperback/graphic novel by now, lol. Certainly any arc involving any of the characters they'd be putting in a movie.
Hardly. Many storylines from the 1960s-70s are only available in Omnibus releases, which I do not consider GNs.

Exactly. That was literally what the point of BuckyCap was. Rogers was such a singular force of good for so long that Bucky could never be Cap, no matter how long he wore the costume. But he'd do it anyway.

You can't tell that story to movie audiences at this point.

I feel like some people here just look at the plot points of these stories in a vacuum instead of considering what gives them weight and makes them matter
Oh please. I'm merely assessing the most likely storyline Mayimbe is hinting at given what we know right now. Also, however you want to spin it, the movies are called "Captain America" not "Steve Rogers". If they wanted to replace him for a while they can, that doesn't diminish the character or meant that Bucky would be Cap permanently either, just like the comics.

In any case we might just be looking at a storyline where Cap poses dead and is acting as Agent Rogers, rather than a straight up adaptation of the storyline.

Whiskey Tango said:
Easy enough to borrow or steal Tony's Jarvis tech and pattern it after his own brainwaves. One insertion into a custom built indestructible nanotech chassis later and voila!

Not that that's particularly clever of course. I did always like the idea that Tony based Jarvis personality on the Stark's family butler. But mostly I just like saying 'indestructible nanotech chassis'

The thing is I don't see Antman making Ultron, as even for a movie, a genius developing technology to be able to enlargen/shrink himself and then on the side make a robot who's powerful enough to fight the Avengers, too contrived for audiences.

I'm pretty sure the writers could make it work.

No.

Cap just got started in the MCU. The idea is ludicrous.

Thor could be an option though no? Hasn't he been killed and brought back in the comics?

You can have your drama and gravitas while still having your get out of jail card.

Thor was already "killed" and brought back in his first film though. Can't see them playing that card again. Whatever Feige and company have planned I think will have us all stunned by the end of Phase 2. Can't wait to take this ride!

You guys can talk about how ridiculous it sounds all you want, I don't necessarily disagree. But what other story arc is SO popular that all the issues and GN is sold out and is apart of that collection posted other than Death of Cap? Add to the fact that logo looks exactly like Agent Rogers' uniform logo and it's hard not to believe.

Cap isn't the goose, Iron Man is. I think Tony will be killed in the beginning of A2 but revived somehow towards the end, but Cap ends up dead instead. Or something happens to him in TWS. We know he'll literally be teaming up with SHIELD in the film so it's not farfetched that he becomes Agent Rogers..

Cap's "death" worked in the comics because Cap was already a beloved and LOOOONG-established centerpiece of the Marvel Universe, so when Millar and Bendis martyred him and made their little red-state/blue-state political statement, it resonated.

MCU Cap isn't even out of his diapers yet, by contrast. He's already been "dead" for 70 years, and his "resurrection" is just now being celebrated by the world (America, anyway). Killing him off *again,* and for real this time, would have a resonance factor of exactly zero with movie audiences.

Cap's "death" worked in the comics because Cap was already a beloved and LOOOONG-established centerpiece of the Marvel Universe, so when Millar and Bendis martyred him and made their little red-state/blue-state political statement, it resonated.

MCU Cap isn't even out of his diapers yet, by contrast. He's already been "dead" for 70 years, and his "resurrection" is just now being celebrated by the world (America, anyway). Killing him off *again,* and for real this time, would have a resonance factor of exactly zero with movie audiences.

On top of that, Steve Rogers has had very little time in the 21st Century. The "Man Out of Time" story was/is very important to Steve and Captain America, but if he dies now that will remain unexplored. The film universe also has yet to firmly establish Captain America as the well-regarded tactical leader and moral exemplar that he is in the comics. The audience has barely gotten to know the man, so why would they kill him off before he has a chance to fully develop and realize his potential?

Marvel found its perfect Steve Rogers in Chris Evans and fought long and hard to convince him to play the role. In fact, they put a lot of effort in getting him into a six-picture deal after he refused to sign on for nine. I don't think they will pull the plug on this version of Captain America until the character's story has been explored in several more films.

If Thanos is the big bad for this movie, I assume that there will be some pretty insane hand to hand battles taking place. While I realize that no single avenger can really take on Thanos alone (or barely as a team i guess) but I just got caught up daydreaming about Hulk attempting to go toe to toe with him and getting brutally stomped. Thor as well but, we have yet to see Hulk in any REAL danger. I guess abomination came somewhat close but not really. All he really did was stun Hulk, stab him with his elbow bone and piss him off. Thanos on the other hand could kill him (right?) or at the very least, knock him the **** out. If/when we get Avengers face to face with the mad titan. Its just going to be crazy! :woot:

Thor was already "killed" and brought back in his first film though. Can't see them playing that card again. Whatever Feige and company have planned I think will have us all stunned by the end of Phase 2. Can't wait to take this ride!

Yeah but I mean actually end the film on his death. While that scene in Thor was nicely done (and arguably amongst the best scenes in the entire MCU), I don't think anyone actually thought he was dead.

You lose a lot more in regard to the future of Marvel's films by killing any of these characters than you gain. And whatever you gain can be emulated with competent writing.

How do you guys think you can have Thanos in a movie without people dying??

Thanos might obtain the Tesseract in Thor 2.

People or Avengers? And if Avengers need to die then this story should be saved for later down the line. This isn't the comics where you can bring these guys back without looking stupid. (actually it's pretty stupid there too ;))

People can die in an Avengers/Thanos struggle--Odin or a GotG-introduced cosmic hero, for instance--but no way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks are they killing off any of the Big Four.

The two covers missing from El Mayimbe's scoop are related to Captain Marvel and Dr. Strange. That list of covers are all from Marvel Masterworks.

Best foot forward would be for Thanos to show up in Thor 2 and, in the process, kill Odin. I know Odin is stronger than Thanos, but Thanos is cunning and smart, so he'll find a way to win, leading to a battle between Thanos and the team in Avengers 2. Thanos vs. Thor + Belt of Strength would be a dream fight. Around 10-15 minutes would be beyond awesome.

The two covers missing from El Mayimbe's scoop are related to Captain Marvel and Dr. Strange. That list of covers are all from Marvel Masterworks.

So you're saying my Ms. Marvel Vagina Diamond Theorem still has a chance....? :oldrazz:

Thanos might obtain the Tesseract in Thor 2.

Best foot forward would be for Thanos to show up in Thor 2 and, in the process, kill Odin. I know Odin is stronger than Thanos, but Thanos is cunning and smart, so he'll find a way to win, leading to a battle between Thanos and the team in Avengers 2. Thanos vs. Thor + Belt of Strength would be a dream fight. Around 10-15 minutes would be beyond awesome.

Thanos is not in Thor: The Dark World. He is not going to kill Odin. And there definitely is not going to be a Thor/Thanos fight in that movie. You might want to read up on what's known about the movie, which is already in production, before commenting on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"