The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'The Avengers Sequels' started by Thread Manager, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Which for me is a big problem. Even with the hectic schedule and script problems, Vaughn easily delivered the best X-Men film with First Class. His direction was a huge part of that.

2. ThePowerCosmic

By beat them to the punch, I mean featuring the character in their movie first.

And it sounds like you are assuming a lot at the moment. In the X-Movies that Singer has directed, the mutants that he featured didn't have any forgettable roles. Even the ones that had little to do.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  3. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Even in the strong X-Men films, a lot of missed opportunities with characters and and how they are written. So many underwritten.

4. ThePowerCosmic

It happens. Unfortunately.

5. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

"It happens" because Fox keeps shoehorning in pointless cameos.

6. ThePowerCosmic

In the Singer directed X-films, there weren't pointless cameos.

7. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

Fox likes the X-Men movies to be huge and have more of a focus on large scale action and plot than intricate character interaction. It's the exact opposite for Avengers. I would like to see an X-Men film that kept the team to the traditional Chris Claremont group (Professor X, Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Angel, Iceman, Colossus, Rogue, Kitty Pryde) fighting against a singular enemy instead of another team up group (Brotherhood, Hellfire, etc).

They haven't even attempted to touch on the villains outside of those groups in X-Men mythos, and some of those are far better and more interesting concepts.

8. Whiskey Tango

The last of which was in 2003, aka one decade ago, and there have been three X-Films since then, and four when you add in The Wolverine. And each of those four have featured good characters reduced to pale imitations of themselves.

Seriously dude. Can you look at this massive cast list and honestly say that Thunderbird or Quicksilver or Blink are going to be anything more than fanservice cameos? C'mon.

9. ThePowerCosmic

Can't agree with that. In Singer's movies, there was plenty of intricate character interaction.

10. ThePowerCosmic

Yep, and now Singer is back at the helm for a movie due out in 2014. Now watch him work his magic.

And yes, I can look at the massive cast list and say that the mutants you mentioned will be more than mere fanservice cameos. Singer will give them importance.

11. Mr. Dent

Between Wolverine and whatever other character was involved with him, and Professor X and Magneto. Otherwise the character were thrown to the way side. Avengers has every character interacting with each other and explores their dynamics.

I'd say the Fox movies portray the X-Men as more of a society than a team, which is somewhat appropriate I guess.

12. Whiskey Tango

We'll see.

13. ThePowerCosmic

Pyro, Rogue, Bobby, Mystique, Nightcrawler, Storm, Jean Grey, Cyclops... all of them got chances for intricate character interaction without Wolverine.

I understand what you're saying about the different dynamics, but they did get intricate character interaction. It was just presented in a different way from The Avengers.

14. Mr. Dent

I sort of see what you're saying but yeah it's different than what I consider to be intricate. Like I said, it's more of a society than a team to me in the Fox films.

15. ThePowerCosmic

That's agreeable.

16. Saitou Hajime

Saitou Hajime Well-Known Member

Kitty Pride, Siryn, Colossus, Pyro.

17. Eros

Eros Well-Known Member

Pyro,Bobby,Mystique,Nightcrawler,storm, and jean received character interaction. Cyclops the supposed team leader and, is either shafted,kidnapped, or killed in the singer/Fox movies. Now wolverine is the central character in the X-men movies, we know more about him then the people who actually remember there pasts.

18. Chewy

Chewy REDACTED

Those were all legitimate cameos, unlike the stupid distracting garbage that came post-X2

19. ThePowerCosmic

How were they pointless cameos when it's a school for mutants? Are you saying that you'd rather not see the mutant children there displaying their abilities? It came with the territory and was not pointless, because it was establishing that these kids are gifted.

Kitty Pride played a part in X1 because when she ran through the door, it shocked Logan just like it shocked the audience.

Siryn played a part because she was a mutant in danger defending herself against the soldiers, and it showed how their darts could instantly knock out the mutants. Which gave the Wolverine scene more of an impact when he wasn't dropping by the darts.

Colossus played a part because once again, he was defending himself and the rest of the children. He was also a prelude towards a "larger" role in X3. His role would have been even better if Singer had directed X3.

20. ThePowerCosmic

Cyclops had intricate character scenes with Jean in both movies.

21. Eros

Eros Well-Known Member

Colossus had a larger role in X3?

22. ThePowerCosmic

This.

23. Chewy

Chewy REDACTED

Haha :woot:

24. Eros

Eros Well-Known Member

yes after he was kidnapped,shafted, and received little development as a character.

25. ThePowerCosmic

Edited my post before that, you should go back and read it.

Oh what the hell, I'll say it here. Colossus would've had a larger role in X3, if Singer was directing. When Ratner took the helm, he was sidelined. Not Singer's fault.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.