Age of Ultron The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - - - Part 49

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has this been posted yet? twitter reaction from an RT critic

Matthew Turner @FilmFan1971 · Apr 16
Enjoyed the hell out of Avengers: Age of Ultron. Retains the first film's balance of action and character. Bettany's Vision utterly perfect.

Matthew Turner @FilmFan1971 · Apr 16
Actually pretty blown away by just how faithful the film is to the comics version of The Vision. Ultron / Spader also excellent. #Avengers

I'm getting so confused with these reactions...

Since the last thread closed.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/examvi...age-of-ultron-spoiler-free-review-324616.html

4/5 stars

They liked the movie but had problems with it.

This is the part where they talk about what they didn't like.

Ultimately that’s the real problem with Age of Ultron, the consequences don’t seem that high. Partly that’s because we’ve previously seen bigger stakes in the likes of Thor: The Dark World and Guardians it’s also because it’s all starting to seem a bit familiar. Seeing this crew coming together in The Avengers was exciting and new and the possibility of extraterrestrial interference and the threat of Thanos was big and bold and terrifying. But with two films a year, they’re going to have to change up the formula.

There’s also the issue of Marvel revealing their upcoming slate. For example we know that the massive Infinity War will be covered in two films in the future and that Civil War is on the way in Captain America 3. Together with a planned Thor threequel it’s pretty clear that certain things aren’t going to change this time around so Age of Ultron actually has very little effect on the state of play in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

That’s a shame, especially given all the work which Joss Whedon has put into getting this franchise to where it is today. There’s also a bit of a sense of fatigue about the picture, a little less energy and zing which suggests now is a good time for him to bow out, as he’s decided to do.

But listen, Age of Ultron is still an enjoyable superhero feature, another impressive feat from Marvel and bound to excite fans around the world. It would have been next to impossible to recapture the alchemy of The Avengers and instead this film does a solid job of reminding us what these heroes are up to, and subtly pointing us forward to the delights to come from the MCU.

"Wow, almost PERFECT. Whedon did it again."

"Terrific everything. Action is insane. Characters are balanced very well. Won't be disappointed."

"Great time seeing #Avengers tonight. Personally enjoyed the first film more, but this one doesn't disappoint."

"BRILLIANTTTTT #AgeOfUltron"

"What an awful movie."

"Didn't quite enjoy this film as much as other MCU installments. Still think a fine job was done."

^None real, but close to being. Sums up what I've read all week.

I think anyone that says this movie is awful is trolling or just doesn't like superhero films or fun in general.

Generally consensus from the Irish seems to be that it is a lot of fun but:

* has too many Whedonisms, especially humour wise
* mixed opinions on antagonists' effectiveness (and MCU!QS is still not as memorable as DoFP!QS)
* repetitive climax and resolution

Feels a bit 'it's not a game changer, but it'll do'. Critics may not always be accurate (see their absurd reviews of Black Widow in Avengers) but tbh I foresee issues with WOM and the film may gross less than TA. Even if the franchise is 'critic proof' like Transformers there is only so much goodwill it can squander, especially as the MCU's marquee event.

Having said that the response from American critics seems to better than European ones so far.

Like with Iron Man 3 I'm starting to get the sense that the opinions depend on whether or not you're a fan of the source material, but with the positions reversed. For instance, the positive reviews highlight stuff like how the Vision comes "straight off the page" and "this is what the fans have been waiting for!" while the more tempered ones have said stuff about him being a Deus Ex Machina.

I think anyone that says this movie is awful is trolling or just doesn't like superhero films or fun in general.

And I think people who accuse anyone who dislikes the film of being trolls or fanboys for rival studios need to chill out and realize not everyone is going to like the same thing.

Every clip Ive seen from the film made me happy so thats how Im judging it right now.

I dont expect everyone to love this movie but I do want the majority of people who see it to enjoy it. Esp Marvel fans.

Last edited:
I think people who accuse anyone who dislikes the film of being trolls or fanboys for rival studios need to chill out and realize not everyone is going to like the same thing.

Yup, already encountered some of this crap in another thread this morning. Tedious.

Every clip Ive seen from the film made me happy so thats how Im judging it right now.

I just don't pay any attention to what other people think about movies. I end up enjoying just about every movie I see because I'm a crappy critic and am happy about that. The notable exceptions last year were Crapformers: Age of Suckstinktion and TASM2 (which wasn't nearly as bad as the former, but I can't say I enjoyed it).

I think the Brutasha (I'm feeling so clever today.....) romance increases the chance that something happens to one of them, but doesn't mean death necessarily. You can't kill off the Hulk and I don't see Joss killing of one of the female leads. Who knows???

Wait did a reviewer say the stakes were higher in Thor:The Dark World? How can that even be remotely true? The villain in Thor: The Dark World was one of, if not the weakest Marvel Movie villain to date. His goal was weak and he wasn't threating at all. And the stakes didn't feel high at all in Dark World. Just from what I have read about Ultron in this movie ( without spoilers) he is way more threatening and the stakes are definitely high.

Wait did a reviewer say the stakes were higher in Thor:The Dark World? How can that even be remotely true? The villain in Thor: The Dark World was one of, if not the weakest Marvel Movie villain to date. His goal was weak and he wasn't threating at all. And the stakes didn't feel high at all in Dark World. Just from what I have read about Ultron in this movie ( without spoilers) he is way more threatening and the stakes are definitely high.

To be fair the reviewer is technically correct since Malekith would destroy the Nine Realms, while Ultron was 'just' wiping out a single planet.

The stakes in TDW were the entire universe. So yeah higher stakes.

Which thread? I just want to know so I can avoid at all costs, LOL!!:sly:

The Ultron thread. I stopped by to look for reactions to the released clip that shared the concerns I had only to see a few criticisms drowned in a torrent of whiny dismissals from the usual 4 or 5 suspects who act like every negative comment is a personal insult against their ancestors. The fanboys are every bit as insufferable as the trolls these days.

The Ultron thread. I stopped by to look for reactions to the released clip that shared the concerns I had only to see a few criticisms drowned in a torrent of whiny dismissals from the usual 4 or 5 suspects who act like every negative comment is a personal insult against their ancestors. The fanboys are every bit as insufferable as the trolls these days.

Most of my ancestors kind of suck so I'd probably act differently....maybe I'd react like they insulted my dog. In any case, I must have really thick skin because the only way I'd have any reaction to a review would be if it got a good or poor review, I saw it, and disagreed. Even then, I'd just think "Huh. That's weird" and then go have lunch or whatever.

I'm really starting to think something is going to happen (not sure what) to Hulk/BW or Cap/Maria. People like to make romance difficult and what better way to do it than to frell things up for a character?

Theres 2 factions I think: Those who are clearly looking for anything to complain/nitpick about to have something to discuss and those who are chilling out until they actually see the film in its entirety before they start ripping it apart or judging it on its flaws.

To be fair the reviewer is technically correct since Malekith would destroy the Nine Realms, while Ultron was 'just' wiping out a single planet.

Maybe so be it certainly didn't feel that way watching the movie. Not saying it's horrible, but in my opinon it's the weakest of the MCU films.

A good movie which has some flaws? UNHEARD OF! Guys chill no movie is perfect. The reactions so far have all been positive except for like what a couple? And even reviews pointing out all the flaws in the world with scores gave it one shy of a perfect score lol.

We'll know for sure how it is in a few more days when SHH fans see it. They wont lie about it.

All I know is I'm going to freak seeing Vision on Screen for the first time :D

Whiskey: You can rant all you want but until we all see the FINISHED FILM that BS makes no difference. You know it. If those scenes are really total crap like you're saying then you can say you told us so. But right now its just more complaining with no real proof thats what we're getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"