Age of Ultron The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 52

Why? So he can turn Thanos into a joke like he did with Ultron?:whatever::o

I didn't mind the humour from Ultron. What disappointed was the lack of threat and tension, which is more of an MCU issue than a Whedon one as Joss has proven he can do great, dark villains. Where as lack of threat is a common complaint for MCU villains.

Ultron is just not memorable and he could have been a real classic villain. I don't know exactly why Marvel villains generally haven't hit the mark so far but something needs to change. Just good that the heroes have been so good to make up for it.

Ultron is just not memorable and he could have been a real classic villain. I don't know exactly why Marvel villains generally haven't hit the mark so far but something needs to change. Just good that the heroes have been so good to make up for it.

Agreed, I think it's because they don't let directors go dark enough with the villains. A few dark acts can get them across as a threat. I am not asking for a bloodbath, but look how ruthless the likes of Reverse Flash, The Joker, Magneto and Loki were. It added bite and threat to their characters and they were charismatic and great to watch along with that.

Mjölnir;32218471 said:
I do too. I don't know if there's another villain I like to just listen to talk as much as Ultron.

Watching him talk was the best part, it's just that he never seems to back up his threats and didn't win one battle he had in the movie. That's why he is so frustrating, his CGI, look and personality were great, but they just forgot to make him a threat

I have said it before but compare Caps fight with Loki in the first movie to his one with Ultron here. Loki wiped the floor with him, Ultron struggled with Cap despite having several advantages over him. The Loki fight didn't make Cap look bad either, in fact I loved that he kept getting back despite despite being clearly outclassed. His fight with Ultron just made Ultron look weak for me.

Agreed, I think it's because they don't let directors go dark enough with the villains. A few dark acts can get them across as a threat. I am not asking for a bloodbath, but look how ruthless the likes of Reverse Flash, The Joker, Magneto and Loki were. It added bite and threat to their characters and they were charismatic and great to watch along with that.

Bingo. This is why my favorite moment of Ultron was him severing Klaw's hand out of frustration. But he apologized right away, that was a little bit of a let down.

But there should've been more of that type of violence. Well I guess they wanted the kids to enjoy the movie too and for good reason. You can't please everyone.

The way Joss wrote Ultron was note in the line that he was a threat to what the Avengers stood for. Ultron is soo OP in the comics. Joss took advantage of the A.I angle more than his physicality, that you can't kill him. And yeah Cap was being thrown around by Ultron. This Cap has much more experience in hand to hand combat than the one that fought Loki. He was getting tossed around and kept coming back and Ultron had him cornered until Pietro saved Cap.

Ultron was alive for all of three days. In that time, he nearly succeeded in causing a planetwide cataclysm. He was able to do this in the face of earths mightiest heroes because his knowledge, power, durability and numbers grew exponentially over the course of those days. Despite all that though, he still remained essentially a child.

He wasn't meant to be nefarious, diabolical or truly villainous in a classical sense. He was a mad program that, for all his efforts to step out of the shadow of his creator's massive personality, could not see that he was tied to it and a dark reflection of it. Klaue lost an arm when an offhand remark made him recall that he had once heard Tony Stark say the exact same thing. Ultron reacted like a triggered child then, vindictive and remorseful in turns. He is not an emotionless killing machine like the Terminator. Neither is he a godlike machinebeing like Amazo. He is somewhere in the middle, a mech-Pinocchio born of his father's deepest wishes and anxieties and thus, likewise burdened with his profound lack of introspection.

In this sense, it's notable that Jarvis/the Vision is both the first and last one to have a conversation with Ultron. They are wooden brothers, newly given form and let loose into the physical world. One is more optimistic about the fate of mankind, while the other's pessimism drives his calculations towards a darker direction. In the end though, they're both newborn babes with the power to change the world. Luckily, superior technology and morality were on the same side this time.

I loved Ultron. He's a great villain.

I loved Ultron. Spader gave a terrific performance and I loved how his character avoided typical villain tropes (not wanting to monologue away his plans to the heroes, hating having to actually fight the heroes in 1v1 scenarios etc). And I personally thought that the fact that he was able to gain the upper hand over Thor during the final battle was enough to make him seem like a legit threat.

"The first thing I want to say is:this movie is all mine." -Whedon on the BD commentary.

The way Joss wrote Ultron was note in the line that he was a threat to what the Avengers stood for. Ultron is soo OP in the comics. Joss took advantage of the A.I angle more than his physicality, that you can't kill him. And yeah Cap was being thrown around by Ultron. This Cap has much more experience in hand to hand combat than the one that fought Loki. He was getting tossed around and kept coming back and Ultron had him cornered until Pietro saved Cap.

Ultron was alive for all of three days. In that time, he nearly succeeded in causing a planetwide cataclysm. He was able to do this in the face of earths mightiest heroes because his knowledge, power, durability and numbers grew exponentially over the course of those days. Despite all that though, he still remained essentially a child.

He wasn't meant to be nefarious, diabolical or truly villainous in a classical sense. He was a mad program that, for all his efforts to step out of the shadow of his creator's massive personality, could not see that he was tied to it and a dark reflection of it. Klaue lost an arm when an offhand remark made him recall that he had once heard Tony Stark say the exact same thing. Ultron reacted like a triggered child then, vindictive and remorseful in turns. He is not an emotionless killing machine like the Terminator. Neither is he a godlike machinebeing like Amazo. He is somewhere in the middle, a mech-Pinocchio born of his father's deepest wishes and anxieties and thus, likewise burdened with his profound lack of introspection.

In this sense, it's notable that Jarvis/the Vision is both the first and last one to have a conversation with Ultron. They are wooden brothers, newly given form and let loose into the physical world. One is more optimistic about the fate of mankind, while the other's pessimism drives his calculations towards a darker direction. In the end though, they're both newborn babes with the power to change the world. Luckily, superior technology and morality were on the same side this time.

Agree with all of this. :highfive:

Great post.

Bingo. This is why my favorite moment of Ultron was him severing Klaw's hand out of frustration. But he apologized right away, that was a little bit of a let down.

But there should've been more of that type of violence. Well I guess they wanted the kids to enjoy the movie too and for good reason. You can't please everyone.

:up:

I can agree with a lot of that. As I have said I loved his look and personality, as well as anytime he spoke, none of that was my issue, I know he was a child in some scenes, but really that should have made him more prone to violent outbursts if anything as he doesn't know the consequences of his actions.

Sorry but I didn't see Cap getting thrown everywhere at all, he got thrown off the truck once after the actual fight with Ultron began and put up a very good fight. Yes he is a better fighter now, but against superior strength and other powers like flight he shouldn't have stood a chance, it's just another scene where Ultron is lacking in threat, it's why the final battle had no tension at all as not once did I fear the Avengers not succeeding.

I think Ultron had the potential to be a great villain, but because of some flaws in the movie and how he was presented he just ended up a disappointment to a lot of people.

Nooo. Marvel screwed with his vision.They never let directors have creative freedom.:o

We all know Whedon had battles with the studio on this movie, he has stated it outright and we all know about it around here. No one has said nothing in the movie was the directors.

We all know Whedon had battles with the studio on this movie, he has stated it outright and we all know about it around here. No one has said nothing in the movie was the directors.

Of course he did. All directors who work with Marvel HAVE to make concessions. The Russos said this. Its a shared universe after all. Certain elements have to be in the films. Marvel gives them notes on elements they need to have in the films. Its up to the director to fit those elements in with their vision of the story they are telling. Some work, some don't. Gunn is another example. He battled with Feige over the inclusion of Thanos in GotG. Even though Feige told him to scrap it if it wasn't working but Gunn worked it in anyways.

Ultron said like 3 jokes in the whole movie, I just don't understand why people keep complaining about the humor.

His apology was not real, it was more like "oops did I just cut your arm? lol sorry" the proof of this is that he immediatly kicks him down the stairs, Klaw was meaningless to him.

Of course he did. All directors who work with Marvel HAVE to make concessions. The Russos said this. Its a shared universe after all. Certain elements have to be in the films. Marvel gives them notes on elements they need to have in the films. Its up to the director to fit those elements in with their vision of the story they are telling. Some work, some don't. Gunn is another example. He battled with Feige over the inclusion of Thanos in GotG. Even though Feige told him to scrap it if it wasn't working but Gunn worked it in anyways.

Concessions happen in every studio too.

Yeah, I know all this and this isn't what I was talking about, the cutting of the pool scene was more what I was getting at, it wouldn't have effected the movie to put the full scene and have the farm scenes except to make it longer. Why cut it down as in the end it just hurt the movie? I am sure there were other instances like this also.

I don't think his apology was that sincere, I mean, he then kicked him in the face. :oldrazz:

I just don't understand why people keep complaining about the humor.

Because they didn't like it. It's not a huge unsolvable mystery.

I'd feel much the same if Marvel had Kang or Doom cracking wise all the time.

Anyway, eager to get my hands on this disc so I can watch it on repeat for days. Should make the wait for JJ more bearable.

The 'Ultron was a comedian' claim is the most overblown thing since the 'Iron Man 3 was a comedy' claim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"