The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

It's pretty obvious to me, at least, that Snyder really didn't truly understand the material he had..... esp when a few years before MOS he openly stated he didn't know how to do superman.
He also had no respect or understanding for the die hard comic fans, he also had no idea what the general audience wanted, in terms of action super hero films.

He gave kids an adult film, he gave fans a movie that looked the part, but no substance. He gave the general audience a movie that made no sense.

It's not a masterpiece.....

In his head, maybe it was, I believe he believes that.

Winston Duke as Superman OR Black Panther is a downgrade. I can’t take him seriously after seeing him in Us. I liked the movie but he was awful in it.

So there apparently isn't a Superman movie on the horizon, but a Wonder Twins movie is? What is wrong with this world.

It really is insane. Like, WB has THE most iconic superhero at their disposal and they’re just like, “Welp, Man of Steel underperformed and Henry Cavill is a **** so let’s never use the character again. But hey, how about an Ambush Bug movie?”

I don’t get it. People didn’t like the Snyderverse? People didn’t like Cavill? Okay, fine. Hire a new director and actor and let’s GOOOOO.

Its weird for sure, especially since there is no way they arent aware how positive people embraced Superman and Lois.
WBs mindset on Superman is super weird.

Or maybe they just haven't got a pitch they liked...

And Superman and Lois, while awesome, isn't exactly a ratings bonanza.

And The Wonder Twins will be in HBO Max not a big budget tent pole film like Superman would be. One is much easier to greenlight than the other.

Superman is my favorite character in anything but I would rather they wait for the right project not just throw something out there.

Or maybe they just haven't got a pitch they liked...

And Superman and Lois, while awesome, isn't exactly a ratings bonanza.

And The Wonder Twins will be in HBO Max not a big budget tent pole film like Superman would be. One is much easier to greenlight than the other.

Superman is my favorite character in anything but I would rather they wait for the right project not just throw something out there.

I don’t know; there have been several high profile directors and other talents have pitched concepts to them and they’ve been ignored. Now, if we’re talking about someone like Mark Millar, I can maybe see why they would be hesitant because his stuff tends to be divisive (sometimes even more so than Snyder). I’m not sure what his Superman pitch was, but it’s possible that it was something really bonkers and they didn’t want to take the risk. But then you had guys like Christopher McQuarrie who wanted to do a Superman film, and they were apparently so dismissive of him that he publicly was like, “**** them.”

Then you had that Ta-Nehisi Coates Superman project, which is maybe still in development but we haven’t heard anything since the initial announcement. Which, when it comes to WB, usually means it’s not happening.

So yeah, something like Wonder Twins is low risk. Superman may be high risk, but it’s also high reward if it’s good. Yet for whatever reason they don’t even seem to want to bother with it.

So there apparently isn't a Superman movie on the horizon, but a Wonder Twins movie is? What is wrong with this world.

It really is insane. Like, WB has THE most iconic superhero at their disposal and they’re just like, “Welp, Man of Steel underperformed and Henry Cavill is a **** so let’s never use the character again. But hey, how about an Ambush Bug movie?”

I don’t get it. People didn’t like the Snyderverse? People didn’t like Cavill? Okay, fine. Hire a new director and actor and let’s GOOOOO.

Its weird for sure, especially since there is no way they arent aware how positive people embraced Superman and Lois.
WBs mindset on Superman is super weird.
This is ignoring how much they’re on thin ice with their cinematic portrayals of the character. It’s arguably one foot in the grave as far as cultural relevance and popularity, which is largely in part to their handling.

Had Singer and Snyder’s versions been way off in the distance, I could see the frustration in watching the studio being gun shy.

But they’re two strikes out with one pitch left. I don’t blame them at all. Their next move could bury this IP for good on the big screen.

This is ignoring how much they’re on thin ice with their cinematic portrayals of the character. It’s arguably one foot in the grave as far as cultural relevance and popularity, which is largely in part to their handling.

Had Singer and Snyder’s versions been way off in the distance, I could see the frustration in watching the studio being gun shy.

But they’re two strikes out with one pitch left. I don’t blame them at all. Their next move could bury this IP for good on the big screen.

I think I could accept that if it didn’t seem like they had 14 different Batman projects going at any given time. And while you can easily make the argument that Batman has overall been more successful, there have also been plenty of bad Batman-centric projects (Batman & Robin, BvS, Justice League). The Flash/Batman movie could turn out to be abysmal and bomb hard and it won’t deter them from keeping Batman going.

Man of Steel came out 9 years ago. It’s been 16 years since Superman Returns. I understand being gun shy but it’s not like these were recent mistakes. WB needs to get it’s **** together and give Superman another shot.

I think I could accept that if it didn’t seem like they had 14 different Batman projects going at any given time. And while you can easily make the argument that Batman has overall been more successful, there have also been plenty of bad Batman-centric projects (Batman & Robin, BvS, Justice League). The Flash/Batman movie could turn out to be abysmal and bomb hard and it won’t deter them from keeping Batman going.

Man of Steel came out 9 years ago. It’s been 16 years since Superman Returns. I understand being gun shy but it’s not like these were recent mistakes. WB needs to get it’s **** together and give Superman another shot.
The JL debacle in which Superman was highlighted thanks to the mustache meme, was only 5 years ago. Cavill's the face of Superman and so his appearances count.

With Batman you've made the counter-argument already. Batman is vastly more successful. There are still active fans of Nolan/Bale. A solo Joker "indie" movie made a billion dollars worldwide. As shown with the excitement for Reeves/Pattinson, the IP's stock hasn't been dented from the Snyder era.

Superman hasn't been popular on the big screen since '81. That's over forty years ago. That's two whole generations of kids and adults who aren't exposed to the type of wonder this character could bring. I don't have to go into detail how cold this franchise has been. Whether you're a fan or not, it's just a fact he's no longer at the top, and never has been for several decades.

...Grant Morrison just dropped a great commentary on how DC has failed Superman for the past decade plus in the comics, let alone in film.

Just my opinion, but WB looks at Superman as outdated. They just don't "get" him.
I can imagine all the suits sitting around a table talking about a new pitch for superman that is actually good.
By the time the suits get done with it, we have an emo, polar bear fighting, can't really fly, metrosexual superman.

They try and re-invent the wheel when nothing is wrong with this one.

That said, if I'm honest, I seriously doubt we see a solo superman film again within 7 to 10 years.

Last edited:
Have to wonder what is happening with the JJ Abrams/Coates supposed script. Was supposed to be given to WB in December, yet nothing seems to be heard about it. Could still be in development stage, but if it were submitted one would hope to have a leak by now.

This is speculation only

I think the movie has been delayed or retooled to fit in with the future plans for Superman in the DCEU. There was much more support for the Val Zod and Supergirl projects than this movie. Clark Kent is still Henry Cavill to a lot of fans. I I’m fine with a reboot, but I think Cavill needs a proper sendoff first.

If I were WB, I’d hold off on the Abrams/Coates movie and focus on developing Val Zod and Supergirl projects with Cavill in a supporting role. I’d really like more team up films with Cavill.

I honestly wonder who has the talent and vision to give us something that is the Superman equivalent to what we're getting with Batman. Matt Reeves gave us a film that is pure batman, its the most complete batman film to date imo. The question is who can do that for superman and what does that look and feel like?

Last edited:
I honestly wonder who has the talent and vision to give us something that is the Superman equivalent to what we're getting with Batman. Mayt Reeves have us a film that is pure batman, its the most complete batman film to date imo. The question is who can do that for superman and what does that look and feel like?

I saw someone suggest taking the Paddington approach to Superman, where he doesn’t change but his values are tested and his virtues transform the world and characters around him. He’s sincere but never feels too sugary or sweet, and you never once question his complete sincerity and earnestness in doing the right thing and helping others. He’s really just that nice and good.

On that note, perhaps Paul King? With him having directed two films with a character who’s an immigrant that has travelled to another place from a home that’s been “destroyed, I’d say he’s more than qualified to tackle it. Also, as the set pieces in those films have shown, he’s really good at action and using it to tell story.

I've definitely seen his name come up quite a bit in the last few years. I've never seen the Paddington movies but I know they're critically acclaimed for good reason.
What you're describing is honestly how you have to treat superman, a character who should be timeless but at times feels past his time. This is why captain america worked so well in the mcu. He's a character who's core values never change even as the world around him test his mettle.

Last edited:
I honestly wonder who has the talent and vision to give us something that is the Superman equivalent to what we're getting with Batman. Matt Reeves gave us a film that is pure batman, its the most complete batman film to date imo. The question is who can do that for superman and what does that look and feel like?
yes... I walked out that cinema and thought to myself... that was the best comic to movie experience I have seen. It felt so... real.

I also wondered how Reeves would handle Superman.

I am so torn and conflicted... what I do want is Reeves universe for 'The Batman' to be the universe we see other heroes in. I want it expanded, but i never see them cross until it's right.

I thought about superman and it made me appreciate Snyders 'idea' of superman, his execution was terrible... but the idea that superman, the man in the cape was seen as a god, makes sense...Cavil couldn't pull that off and neither did Snyder but I understood now.

It's like, lois was dating an alien.. that could fly... and she seemed way to relaxed and calm about that... the military too..

I think for a superman movie to work, he operates in secret, quickly, where he can, knowing full well he will be directed by the media and governments both figuratively and literally.

There are social media videos of him, but it's all seen as hoaxes and it's not taken seriously. When we see superman in the suit, it's literally one days event... like the movie covers that one first time he is in the suit... so we see him be the hero... but the movie ends with like a choice, continue in that vein or go back to being discrete, urban legend type.. again, like how in MOS he was called out... so he had to expose himself.... but I really like the idea of a self contained moment, event... that reveals superman but maybe not to the wider world... so he still stays a myth...

Personally I don't know how I'd feel about Reeves doing superman because he definitely has a darker more bleak touch to his film making. Which is why it worked so well for batman. I'd want someone who is equally as talented and shares that same level of passion for superman. I also don't need superman to feel quite as real world grounded as the batman was, its just not the nature of the character and the world the character exist in.

Ok, having seen and LOVED The Batman. I need a Superman film done with that same level of vision, love, and passion. C'mon WB...please!!!!

All I know was s that director won’t be JJ Abrams

I think the movie has been delayed or retooled to fit in with the future plans for Superman in the DCEU. There was much more support for the Val Zod and Supergirl projects than this movie. Clark Kent is still Henry Cavill to a lot of fans. I I’m fine with a reboot, but I think Cavill needs a proper sendoff first.

If I were WB, I’d hold off on the Abrams/Coates movie and focus on developing Val Zod and Supergirl projects with Cavill in a supporting role. I’d really like more team up films with Cavill.

They need to either give Cavill a proper send off like they will with Affleck or just do a retool/reboot of the character but stick with Cavill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"