The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

I see Henry Cavill as Superman and Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man as being very similar situations. They’re both well liked by fans but starred in critical and financially underperforming films. Garfield got a second chance with No Way Home, and I would really like to see Cavill get another chance or even a proper sendoff before we get a new actor as Superman.

The DCEU needs a Clark Kent/Superman. The trinity is the basic foundation for any proper shared DC universe, and without their presence, it just feels off.

We have a number of opportunities to reintroduce Henry Cavill as Superman. But bringing him into The Flash with a new look and attitude would blow fans away!

This is what I think - them having Zod and Faora is significant - to either retcon something or add another layer - maybe Zod wasn't killed, if so, no doomsday monster, no BvS or JL. That helps explain the retcon of batfleck to Keaton in the new world post flashpoint. This is how we get a happier Clark, free to be SM, people love him, he's happier and more classic superman. He pays dumb when around people in the office, on the streets he is true to himself, when he is superman he portrays a heroic stance.

Do we see the retconned earth as having a Michael b j superman and see the alternate history where he battled them instead?

The problem with that comparison is that Henry Cavill doesn’t have anything approaching Garfield’s talent - Garfield’s performance was never one of the problems with his films, whereas Henry’s was. He was an action figure-looking block of wood with some truly terrible line deliveries. So the chances of him turning things around (after more failed outings as the character than Garfield got too) and actually winning the majority of the audience over in the role are significantly reduced from Garfield’s, imo.

I think with Cavill, play superman straight... after all he's eye candy whilst saving the day... people don't really care for superman talking his way out of a fight... sadly..

Give us goofy Kent in the office, where he tries to blend in, play it dumb... let's see him hang with his new pal Jimmy, on head sets playing computer games... the nerd aspect... he should in theory be amazing at those games. Then as a reporter, let's see him with good dialogue. 3 aspects he can handle...

If Mrs. Kent was still around I can only imagine the 12 paragraph response you would get flick :o:wow::D
You mean Misslane38? Sheesh, she would tell me I was wrong and detail why I was wrong over 12 paragraphs lol. I do miss her.

Yes! Misslane! I used to love her posts but it got to the point she would come back at me with those posts and I was agreeing with her! :wow::D

i wouldn't go far as to say that garfield's performance wasn't one of the problems with his films. but he did have more to work with than what WB has given henry for superman and it's a shame

I think with Cavill, play superman straight... after all he's eye candy whilst saving the day... people don't really care for superman talking his way out of a fight... sadly..

Give us goofy Kent in the office, where he tries to blend in, play it dumb... let's see him hang with his new pal Jimmy, on head sets playing computer games... the nerd aspect... he should in theory be amazing at those games. Then as a reporter, let's see him with good dialogue. 3 aspects he can handle...

I dont doubt that Cavill has some range, my problem is more that i feel like he lacks charisma to pull it off.
Like look at Gadot, the Woman cant act herself out of a box but has a ton of Natural Charisma.
Maybe i have seen too little of Cavill, but i dont know if he can really do a Goofy, warm character as you would need for Clark.

i wouldn't go far as to say that garfield's performance wasn't one of the problems with his films. but he did have more to work with than what WB has given henry for superman and it's a shame

I wouldnt say that the Material given is the full problem, direction etc is part of it too.
I do think it could have been possible to make Snyders Superman work, even with the limited and questionable writing.

Im definitly curious if Cavill could do more with better material, its why part of me does want Cavill to get one final shot at Superman.
Something simple and in its own tightly locked universe, not snyders nor any other.
Take one of the good Superman stories and adapt it with him.

Except everyone will connect it with Snyder even if it isn't. They literally started the universe together and Snyder spent years calling his plan a Superman Opus. (calling into question whether he knows who Superman is or what an opus is) Any Cavill film will have 2 strikes against it. Even worse, you will have the entire Snyder fanbase ready to pounce if it doesn't follow along the path they think is second only to the the The Bible in its greatness.

The film would have no chance and the clickbaiters would go nuts like they did with Batfleck.

There are hundreds of actors as good or better than Cavill with zero baggage.

I think Cavill could be fine with a good script and the right direction.

Cavill is open with changing his performance if there is constructive criticism.

Cavill already changed his performance. Remember the theatrical cut of Justice League?

Anyway, I think it really is time to move on from Cavill. Sometimes things just don't work out. He's doing fine with the Witcher. I guess he wants the Superman money too, but he and his uber fans should just move on.

Cavill already changed his performance. Remember the theatrical cut of Justice League?

Anyway, I think it really is time to move on from Cavill. Sometimes things just don't work out. He's doing fine with the Witcher. I guess he wants the Superman money too, but he and his uber fans should just move on.
And I actually preferred it than the Snyder Cut performance. I know I'm sick. :p

And I actually preferred it than the Snyder Cut performance. I know I'm sick. :p

Nothing wrong with preferring a Superman who actually has lines of dialogue. Blows my mind that Whedon actually gave Superman 41 lines of dialogue in a trimmed down 2 hour film whereas Snyder only gave him 13 lines of dialogue in a 4 hour film.

I guess I'm in the minority here where I would love to see Cavill remain in the roll and be given a greater chance to prove himself. I'm a huge fan of MoS and ultimately like what I saw in BvS and JL, but wish he had more. I get certain people don't like his or Snyder's interpretation of Superman and why, but having been a big fan of Smallville, Cavill's Clark aligned to the Clark Welling portrayed - an outsider trying to find his place in the world.

I admire Cavill's passion for the role and how he's modeled his life after Supes and really hope the stars can align to give him at least one more shot to give us the hero we deserve and the one he deserves to play.

Maybe he didn't have more because he is a rather average actor...

See, I personally find that a little hard to believe. He's been so close to a number of high-profile roles that wouldn't just be given to "average actors" (I know that can be used as an argument against his acting skills, but I digress). He was nearly Superman before the Routh version we got but lost out due to his age at the time. He's mentioned multiple times he previously lost out on Bond, again due to his age, and even missed out on Twilight, which frankly was probably the best thing for him. I've seen enough of his Superman performances to know something is there, he just hasn't been given the right material. MoS was definitely an origin story and we shouldn't have expected a fully developed Superman throughout that film (again, I love that film because his portrayal reminded me so much of the Smallville version of Clark). BvS and JL, while I like and appreciate them, did the character a disservice that sadly a lot of folks continue to point to. I don't blame him for that and truly believe he could give us a great performance if he had the right script and director.

Maybe he didn't have more because he is a rather average actor...

I used to be in the camp that felt like Cavill could be great with the right material but after 2 seasons of The Wittcher and his run as Superman, I have no interest in watching anything Cavill does at this point. Seems like a cool dude but he's just not a very good actor.

See, I personally find that a little hard to believe. He's been so close to a number of high-profile roles that wouldn't just be given to "average actors" (I know that can be used as an argument against his acting skills, but I digress). He was nearly Superman before the Routh version we got but lost out due to his age at the time. He's mentioned multiple times he previously lost out on Bond, again due to his age, and even missed out on Twilight, which frankly was probably the best thing for him. I've seen enough of his Superman performances to know something is there, he just hasn't been given the right material. MoS was definitely an origin story and we shouldn't have expected a fully developed Superman throughout that film (again, I love that film because his portrayal reminded me so much of the Smallville version of Clark). BvS and JL, while I like and appreciate them, did the character a disservice that sadly a lot of folks continue to point to. I don't blame him for that and truly believe he could give us a great performance if he had the right script and director.

I like Cavill enough...but he has had chances and nothing has ever really clicked. His performance in Mission Impossible was ok and no one saw The Man From UNCLE. I think he is exactly where he should be, making Netflix shows. He, like Snyder, are best when there is not BO pressure on them.

I think he could put forth a good Superman performance, but I don't think he could ever be great. He doesn't have the skillset or the charisma on screen. And I say that as someone that loves MOS. (though it is aging badly for me because Snyder got progressively worse) I think he comes off as hollow a lot of the time.

To me, Cavill is a dime a dozen. Plenty of actors out there can do what he can do.

Nothing wrong with preferring a Superman who actually has lines of dialogue. Blows my mind that Whedon actually gave Superman 41 lines of dialogue in a trimmed down 2 hour film whereas Snyder only gave him 13 lines of dialogue in a 4 hour film.
Needed to do the Darkseid montage. :o

I like Cavill enough...but he has had chances and nothing has ever really clicked. His performance in Mission Impossible was ok and no one saw The Man From UNCLE. I think he is exactly where he should be, making Netflix shows. He, like Snyder, are best when there is not BO pressure on them.

I think he could put forth a good Superman performance, but I don't think he could ever be great. He doesn't have the skillset or the charisma on screen. And I say that as someone that loves MOS. (though it is aging badly for me because Snyder got progressively worse) I think he comes off as hollow a lot of the time.

To me, Cavill is a dime a dozen. Plenty of actors out there can do what he can do.

I can kind of see what you mean, but I don't think he's been given a chance to show any solid range. I was one of the two people that saw The Man from U.N.C.L.E (my wife being the other :cwink:) and I thought he was pretty good in it. It's just a bad Guy Ritchie film. And as Geralt, witchers are presented in the world as being emotionless, so I think that informs a lot of his performance.

Despite having three outings as Superman, I don't think he's really been given a fair shake. MoS barely scratched the surface of the character, and he was pretty much sidelined in BvS and JL (I personally liked what we did get though).

For me, I think it's his passion that is infectious. He really cares about the character and I think he gets the criticism surrounding the films he's been in. I like when actors are really invested in the characters they play other than a paycheck and I see that in Cavill :shrug:

For me, I think it's his passion that is infectious. He really cares about the character and I think he gets the criticism surrounding the films he's been in. I like when actors are really invested in the characters they play other than a paycheck and I see that in Cavill :shrug:

This I agree with. He definitely loves the character and playing it. I respect him and his performances I just think he is damaged goods at this point.

I hate to say it, but can I get the Donnerverse hopefulness with actual action and comic accurate villains?

I'm over the Donnerverse. It was great when I was a kid, but it's so dated and cheesy. I'd rather have a modern interpretation of Superman than a throwback. Unless they did a period film and placed him back into the 30s/40s and gave it a Fleischer aesthetic. That would be pretty rad.

I'm over the Donnerverse. It was great when I was a kid, but it's so dated and cheesy. I'd rather have a modern interpretation of Superman than a throwback. Unless they did a period film and placed him back into the 30s/40s and gave it a Fleischer aesthetic. That would be pretty rad.
You misunderstand. I want the hope of the Donnerverse like what Patty did with the first Wonder Woman.

Imo, I think we probably have seen the last of cavill.
That said, it's possible we may see him somehow in Flashpoint? A changing of the guard if you will.
I have no idea if that will happen, but it would be a good time to do it.
End him on a high note and introduce a new actor as Superman on another Earth.

He11, bring routh back. He looks better as supes now than he did in 06.

Last edited:
I like Routh, but he really is best suited to tv. As for Cavill, he truly is damage goods.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"