The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

I think they may be going back to the drawing board with the movie. But if the HBO Max show catches on, it could mean a new Krypton universe with more Super-people. Val-Zod, Supergirl, Kal-El again eventually. Cool to have a big-budget Superman project going again, yay.

JJ and friends must be feeling the heat if they need to respond to the news of MBJ's announcement of writers to respond so quickly and forcefully.

If they truly felt comfortable with what they are dong they could have just said nothing and moved on, but they could not. Worrying much?

JJ and friends must be feeling the heat if they need to respond to the news of MBJ's announcement of writers to respond so quickly and forcefully.

If they truly felt comfortable with what they are dong they could have just said nothing and moved on, but they could not. Worrying much?

Eh? What have I missed?

Henry Cavill on ‘The Witcher’ Season Two, Superman Future, James Bond – The Hollywood Reporter

“There is still a lot of storytelling for me to do as a Superman, and I would absolutely love the opportunity,” Cavill says. “The killing of Zod gave a reason for the character never to kill again. Superman falling to the ground and screaming afterward — I don’t think that was originally in the script, but I wanted to show the pain he had. I did far more emotional takes they didn’t choose; tears were happening. He just killed the last remaining member of his species. That’s the choice he made in that moment, and he’ll never do that again. There’s an opportunity for growth after that, to explore the psyche of Superman as a deep, seemingly invulnerable god-like being but with real feeling on the inside. As I always say, ‘The cape is still in the closet.'”

He's been saying that "cape's still in the closet" mantra for 4 years now. The question was never "does Henry Cavill still want to play Superman?" It was always "does WB still want him to play Superman?" And that has remained the situation since 2017.

Personally, I'm hoping they don't. I've watched every major project he's done since the Tudors, and I'm now absolutely convinced he doesn't have a good Superman performance in him, regardless of director/script. The dude simply lacks the warmth and approachability of Clark Kent. He can't convincingly pull off that lovable blue collar, farm-grown dork. He's too stiff and aloof, even when he's trying to be charming. Which actually makes him a much better fit for Geralt of Rivia, the role he should stick with for the long term, imo.

I'm so over it. Make another or don't. I don't mind either way.
This is WB, They will never make a superman film that the majority likes anyway.

He's been saying that "cape's still in the closet" mantra for 4 years now. The question was never "does Henry Cavill still want to play Superman?" It was always "does WB still want him to play Superman?" And that has remained the situation since 2017.

Personally, I'm hoping they don't. I've watched every major project he's done since the Tudors, and I'm now absolutely convinced he doesn't have a good Superman performance in him, regardless of director/script. The dude simply lacks the warmth and approachability of Clark Kent. He can't convincingly pull off that lovable blue collar, farm-grown dork. He's too stiff and aloof, even when he's trying to be charming. Which actually makes him a much better fit for Geralt of Rivia, the role he should stick with for the long term, imo.

I agree with you, a lot, however I feel the right director can give us Cavill in a good movie.

However, is it needed??? Esp if they may want to focus on Pattison and his universe moving forward...which I hope is the case down the line.

What I can see happening, the flash movie retcons superman when then movie ends I will be so suprised if they don't cut to Barry in Metropolis looking for clark etc and when he does appear, or when superman appears, it's the MBJ superman. Giving us supergirl, batgirl, old man bruce, flash, new superman then the main players am, WW, Shazam! and this new GL series. They will then rinse that dry on HBO Max streaming service and a few movies that will probably finish with a big match against Black Adam for his sequel.

so around 2025/26 they start to introduce characters again who live in the same world as Reeves Batman.

I see Henry Cavill as Superman and Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man as being very similar situations. They’re both well liked by fans but starred in critical and financially underperforming films. Garfield got a second chance with No Way Home, and I would really like to see Cavill get another chance or even a proper sendoff before we get a new actor as Superman.

The DCEU needs a Clark Kent/Superman. The trinity is the basic foundation for any proper shared DC universe, and without their presence, it just feels off.

We have a number of opportunities to reintroduce Henry Cavill as Superman. But bringing him into The Flash with a new look and attitude would blow fans away!

The problem with that comparison is that Henry Cavill doesn’t have anything approaching Garfield’s talent - Garfield’s performance was never one of the problems with his films, whereas Henry’s was. He was an action figure-looking block of wood with some truly terrible line deliveries. So the chances of him turning things around (after more failed outings as the character than Garfield got too) and actually winning the majority of the audience over in the role are significantly reduced from Garfield’s, imo.

The problem with that comparison is that Henry Cavill doesn’t have anything approaching Garfield’s talent - Garfield’s performance was never one of the problems with his films, whereas Henry’s was. He was an action figure-looking block of wood with some truly terrible line deliveries. So the chances of him turning things around (after more failed outings as the character than Garfield got too) and actually winning the majority of the audience over in the role are significantly reduced from Garfield’s, imo.

Not only is Cavill a very limited actor, even worse, he's exudes smugness instead of likability.

Gal Gadot, not a good actress herself, was very charismatic and likable in Wonder Woman, and it made her a character to root for and to sympathize with.

The biggest mistake with casting Superman is that looks are the first, second and third thing the studio looks for and if there's a residue of talent, so much the better. Not really a big requirement considering the acting prowess or lack thereof of both Routh and Cavill.

Maybe going with a less cardboard handsome but a lot more talented actor is the way to go. Just a thought.

Never got smugness from Cavill but to each their own.

Hopefully, we get an update on the development of the next film here soon. I remember the Hollywood Reporter stating that Coates would turn in his (first?) draft in mid-December. I'm most interested in knowing one: who the director will be and two: WB confirming if this will indeed feature a black Clark Kent/ Superman.

Anyone
But
Cavill.

The smugness interpretation is spot on, he sadly really comes across that way in all of his interviews, arrogant as well. His interviews are painful to watch, with that combination of factors.

When Cavill was cast, I was excited. He certainly does have the look of Superman, but like some others I find his performance was lacking. He seems like a decent guy and all, his working for British vets, and animal organizations, but I do think it is time to move on. He is doing well, career wise, so good for him, but I do think he is one of the major problems with the films.

I do wonder if Superman should stay with tv, as since the original Reeves' films, the character seems to be better on tv. Are there some bad representations, yes, but still better than the films, and all of the missed and not made projects.

As for what is or may been in the works, the MBJ HBO project is far more interesting, at least to me

Since the success of NWH, I've seen loads of stories saying 'get all the Batmen together', 'do a multiverse with all Supermen' etc...
But if anyone follows Adeel of Steel on Twitter, he tweeted that Cavill, Routh and Welling all want to return to the role

Now that, along with Hoechelin, would be amazing!!! Doubt WB has the foresight to plan something like that though.

The foresight to literally copy something Marvel just did in a blatant cash grab? Thank god. That would be terrible.

Unless you want to tell a version of Crisis there is no reason for multiple Supermen in a film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"