The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

I think it’s silly to pretend the Superman name doesn’t sell itself, considering what the last couple bad Superman movies made at the box office. Superman is a brand name everyone across the world knows, and a good number of people have built-in affection for. That is indisputable. There is certainly a contingent of people who will go see a movie simply for having “Superman” in the title. BUT I agree the actual reality is that it doesn’t automatically sell ENOUGH to make a movie profitable, especially given the ridiculous budgets movies have these days.

“Star Power” certainly would have helped this movie’s box office prospects, and I would have felt better about them having it, but oh well. Now the movie will truly have to succeed on its own merits (and marketing). Which isn’t the worst thing, obviously, but not ideal in such a crowded marketplace as the 2025 slate is gonna be. The trailers just need to be really f***ing good, and the movie has to then deliver on them. No pressure. :funny:

I think it’s silly to pretend the Superman name doesn’t sell itself, considering what the last couple bad Superman movies made at the box office. Superman is a brand name everyone across the world knows, and a good number of people have built-in affection for. That is indisputable. There is certainly a contingent of people who will go see a movie simply for having “Superman” in the title. BUT I agree the actual reality is that it doesn’t automatically sell ENOUGH to make a movie profitable, especially given the ridiculous budgets movies have these days.

“Star Power” certainly would have helped this movie’s box office prospects, and I would have felt better about them having it, but oh well. Now the movie will truly have to succeed on its own merits (and marketing). Which isn’t the worst thing, obviously, but not ideal in such a crowded marketplace as the 2025 slate is gonna be. The trailers just need to be really f***ing good, and the movie has to then deliver on them. No pressure. :funny:
Oh for sure, I don't think the Superman name is irrelevant but I also don't think it's Batman or Spider-Man. Part of that though is the legacy of movies that didn't connect with the audience and the broader disinterest in anything that has the DC name on it that isn't Batman or Joker.

Wouldn't it be preferable for this to be a box office hit
McDonald's makes money but not good food. I'd rather a great film over box office success. Yes I do want the movie to make squillions but it's not the be all and end all. A good movie is remembered more than a movie that made lots of money but wasn't any good. It happens.

As someone who fairly recently suggested Rainn Wilson for the part, I'm in the group that doesn't mind an unconventional choice for Pa Kent. To me, Jor-El and Krypton can and should feel larger than life but Kents are where Clark's humility and unexpected normality comes from. And I think that might work better if Pa Kent looks less like an aging action hero and more like just an ordinary dad.

As for Ma Kent... How about Melissa Leo?
I was hoping they'd cast an actor who evokes the vibe of the farmer in American Gothic.

Someone like Bruce Dern.

Not casting big stars is letting the characters shine first and foremost, and I am ok with that.

It woulda been cool to have a Kurt Russell Pa Kent give some warm feel good monologues on the farm, but I trust Gunn is going for something very specific with these actors. He’s got a proven enough track record to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Ma Kent!

Not gonna lie these two castings make me wonder if both Kents are already dead lol Neva specifically has more of a track record of being one of those actresses that get cast in reaaaally small roles. Some of her recent credits are just the type that are listed as "bus driver" "woman on the news", etc and like, it's not impossible both their roles could be bigger but both of them are the type of names you could comfortably hire for just pictures and archive footage and potentially reusing in flashbacks in the future and nothing else, like the Waynes in The Batman.

I'm fine with the Kents only having small roles in the film. 1 or 2 scenes is fine. I think it's really important for us to see them, to see the farm/farmhouse and have a sense of his roots, but I don't think they need to be actively involved in the plot.

Haven’t seen their work, but I’m sure they’ll do well. I’ve grown to prefer dead Kents, but now that we know they’re in the movie, I can only hope they’re used well :yay:

Haven’t seen their work, but I’m sure they’ll do well. I’ve grown to prefer dead Kents, but now that we know they’re in the movie, I can only hope they’re used well :yay:
They could be dead still lmao

Not gonna lie these two castings make me wonder if both Kents are already dead lol Neva specifically has more of a track record of being one of those actresses that get cast in reaaaally small roles. Some of her recent credits are just the type that are listed as "bus driver" "woman on the news", etc and like, it's not impossible both their roles could be bigger but both of them are the type of names you could comfortably hire for just pictures and archive footage and potentially reusing in flashbacks in the future and nothing else, like the Waynes in The Batman.
Even Thomas Wayne's actor in The Batman is a rather more notable bit of casting, maybe not quite par with Pruitt but he was still Someone.

Even Thomas Wayne's actor in The Batman is a rather more notable bit of casting, maybe not quite par with Pruitt but he was still Someone.
The Ma Kent actress is the one that reaaally makes me raise an eyebrow because okay, Pa Kent is someone that has been dead for every cinematic incarnation so whatever, but Ma Kent is supposedly the one that should be alive between the two and ehhh they cast someone that only ever has been cast in the type of roles that are like 30 seconds each and nameless at most, so she is someone that can comfortably be cast for pics and just that.

The Ma Kent actress is the one that reaaally makes me raise an eyebrow because okay, Pa Kent is someone that has been dead for every cinematic incarnation so whatever, but Ma Kent is supposedly the one that should be alive between the two and ehhh they cast someone that only ever has been cast in the type of roles that are like 30 seconds each and nameless at most, so she is someone that can comfortably be cast for pics and just that.
This could be true but I also just think ultimately it's budget saving tactics or a deliberate choice to avoid "names". It lines up with the rest of the cast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"