The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

Regarding wanting well known stars as side characters; I can get that. I remember loving when Laurence Fishbourne was cast as Perry White. But casting someone as Corenswet as Superman is perfectly fine by me (remembering all the Bond actors casting during my lifetime).

Last edited:
With all of the discussions of Bond actors being unknowns when casted, am I the only one who knew of Daniel Craig as the guy from Tomb Raider and most importantly as the bad guy from Road to Perdition? And I distinctly remember my wife and I being excited when Pierce Brosnan was cast because we thought Remington Steele would make a perfect Bond. Even my childhood Bond, Roger Moore, I would watch with my dad and he would tell me that he always thought of Roger Moore as the Saint.

I think that we overstate Bond actors as being unknowns by and large.

lol that’s probably all we’re getting today. At least it’s not just more pics of ****ing Pez dispensers.

It's nice to see the three of them, though I've never been fond of the whole 'Hey, here's the actors reading the comic' image. Feels sort of...tacky, like someone said 'Hey, hold this comic for a few seconds while we take a photo!'

But who knows? Maybe we'll get Jonathan and Martha Kent Pez dispensers next!

8n7bjj.jpg

Lets read to far into what was likely a random casual snapshot and issue choice...
We've all read and know why Gunn is reading Superman #1 and Brosnahan with Morrison's All-Star Superman #1, yet why is Corenswet with Action #114
8n7dak.jpg

Not gonna lie these two castings make me wonder if both Kents are already dead lol Neva specifically has more of a track record of being one of those actresses that get cast in reaaaally small roles. Some of her recent credits are just the type that are listed as "bus driver" "woman on the news", etc and like, it's not impossible both their roles could be bigger but both of them are the type of names you could comfortably hire for just pictures and archive footage and potentially reusing in flashbacks in the future and nothing else, like the Waynes in The Batman.
I mean it's not an origin story...the Kent's role is going to be small no matter what. That is why I never understood why everyone thought some A lister would get it the part is likely a few lines and out.

Last edited:
I think at this point, Superman definitely isn't Batman or Spider-Man in terms of brand popularity.

You mention Reeve Superman and Challenge of the Superfriends. A big problem is that those shows/movies were 40+ years ago, and IMO, no Superman media has had that level of pop culture ubiquity since.

Older generations may still view Superman as the king, but Millennials and Gen-Z? I think most of them would consider Batman or Spider-Man the top superhero. A lot of them would probably even choose Iron Man before they choose Superman.

With all due respect, but what you're saying is absolute nonsense.
When it comes to popularity Superman is still No.1 to the wider general public, don't believe me? check out those links below:

The one above is a yahoo front page poll in 2013 with over 138 thousand votes and our boy Kal b**ch slapped both Spidey and comicbooks's most overrated superhero who doesn't have superpowers aka Batman.

This poll was done at Disney land in an avergers ride opening event and yet Superman still came first!!

The thing about both of these polls is that they were completed by the general public (not some niche pop culture site like superhero hype or many others) and at the end of the day it's the general public that fills those movie seats not just Gen Z-ers.

Now compare the boxoffice openings of MOS, Spidey homecoming and the Batman for further proof

MOS: 116.5 Homecoming 117 The Batman 132

It seems that Superman made the least right? Nope. MOS came out in 2013, Spidey in 2017 and The Batman 2022
and if you adjust them for inflation you'd get:

MOS 156 Homecoming 149 The Batman 140

Superman is clearly the winner and btw I didn't include the 12 mill MOS made from wallmart advance sales otherwise the number would be considerably higher.
Now why did I choose opening weekend numbers instead of movie totals? Well it's because it's a movie's opening numbers that determines the baseline strength of an IP while the total depends largely on quality and competition.

I constantly see people underestimating Superman's popularity (something I used to be guilty of) but the character continues to endure despite of the garbage that Singer, Snyder and CW threw at the character. Heck under David Zaslev's own admission Superman was left to languish yet it's Superman who was chosen to lead Gunn's DCU and not Batman and it's because Zaslev sees Superman as the character with the greatest potential.

It's a tough balancing act. You don't want him looking like Bogdan.

New obscure topic to obsess over: Corenswet's eyebrows! There's definitely something "off" about them in this pic. They weren't like that at his appearance for that Ad he shot in Mexico a few days ago. Even his natural eyebrows are darker. This will definitely fuel the clone rumors.
1713454127568.png

I mean the irrational part of me wants to see the suit but I suppose seeing everything with fresh eyes for the first time is the best case scenario here

We're over a month into filming and still have less than we had before the cameras started rolling. Wish James Gunn would spend more time releasing something relevant than just responding to flat questions.

We're over a month into filming and still have less than we had before the cameras started rolling. Wish James Gunn would spend more time releasing something relevant than just responding to flat questions.

It is kind of annoying. Like, if Gunn was the type of director who goes into social media lockdown mode once filming starts, the lack of pics or anything else wouldn’t really bother me. But it seems like he takes the time to respond to every other troll on Threads and loves to post stupid things like superhero Pez dispensers on Instagram, so the lack of anything substantial is kind of grating. And I’m sorry, James, a picture of you, David and Rachel pretending to read some old comics isn’t going to cut it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"