Dark Phoenix $ The DARK PHOENIX Box Office Speculation ThreaD $

What was the production budget for this before the reshoots? Because the movie just doesn't look very eXpensive, it doesn't look like it had a budget of 200 million, the movie looks small and small scaled. Genosha, the mansion, the buildings they have used shouldn't take a lot of money. While the previous movies had Cerebro, the subbasement, X-Jet, helicopters. The only thing really new is the space setting which lasted like 5 minutes. Most of the characters are in casual clothing as well. The movie isn't vfx heavy compare to X3. I guess the First Class cast got a pay raise to return for their 4th X-Men film.
Reshoots likely added to the budget.

It’s like opposite ends of the spectrum. I know Hellboy was also a bomb but I think people expected that to. No one expected DP to be a big hit either, but this is beyond the pale.

It’s like opposite ends of the spectrum. I know Hellboy was also a bomb but I think people expected that to. No one expected DP to be a big hit either, but this is beyond the pale.
Even those who expected it to fail didn’t expect it to do so badly. I had no idea these numbers were even possible for such a long-standing franchise that has always done at least ok numbers.

We always thought X-men was never going to suffer the same fate as F4, Inhumans.

When people were saying Disney shouldn't release the movie or instead just send it to streaming because getting a wide release would have a negative impact on the IP, they were laughed at and told that would never happen "the X-men brand is safe."

And yet here we are.

Sure Disney has $232Mil in the bank from the box office so far, but is this all worth it? The X-men has become a joke. Hopefully this is just a momentary set back.

Last edited:
We always thought X-men was never going to suffer the same fate as F4, Inhumans. When people were saying Disney should just not release the movie or send it to streaming because getting a wide release would have a negative impact on the IP, they were laughed at and told that would never happen "the X-men brand is safe." And yet here we are.

Sure Disney has $232Mil in the bank from the box office so far, but is this all worth it? The X-men has become a joke. Hopefully this is just a momentary set back.

While a few hundred million is good to have laying around...I agree that this is doing longterm damage to the property...and the Dark Phoenix story should probably never be told again...or at least for decades. Personally, I'd hand a version of that story (without the cosmic entity) to Scarlet Witch, and have her trigger the mutant gene worldwide...but I'm sure Marvel is smarter than I am.

We always thought X-men was never going to suffer the same fate as F4, Inhumans. When people were saying Disney should just not release the movie or send it to streaming because getting a wide release would have a negative impact on the IP, they were laughed at and told that would never happen "the X-men brand is safe." And yet here we are.

People said it would at least make back it's budget which is why it should be released, but has it even done that?

1-4-9

just three weekends inside the top X.... yikes! 230 million after 3 weeks, more yikes!

While a few hundred million is good to have laying around...I agree that this is doing longterm damage to the property...and the Dark Phoenix story should probably never be told again...or at least for decades. Personally, I'd hand a version of that story (without the cosmic entity) to Scarlet Witch, and have her trigger the mutant gene worldwide...but I'm sure Marvel is smarter than I am.
If they EVER tell the Dark Phoenix story again they have to tell it right. Use the Shia'r empire, the Phoenix being a cosmic being known as The Phoenix, etc.

The thing that upset me the most about the Dark Phoenix movie is that. The name of the movie Dark Phoenix. And yet they only use the word "Phoenix" only once in the whole movie. Cyclops tell Jean that the kids are calling her Phoenix and that's it. Never again the word is mentioned in the movie. They don't refer to the Phoenix force in the whole movie, they just call it "Power". Not even the Aliens who knew about the Phoenix called it by the name Phoenix. They also call it "Power".
Fox is really ashamed of embrace the comics and using the proper terms.

Anyway, we have no clue what the MCU will do to the X-Men but I'd prefer if they'd start in the future where the Phoenix story already happened. Marvel is supposed to "reboot" the X-Men in the comics this August. They're being very mysterious about this. They only said that it'll bring the X-men to their rightful place in the marvel universe. Maybe this "reboot" in the comics already is taking into consideration what they'll do with the X-Men in the movies.

In fact, Disney doesn't have $232Mil in the bank. The studio doesn't get all that money.

The studio only obtain 50% of the box office in USA. In other countries, the studio get even less.

People said it would at least make back it's budget which is why it should be released, but has it even done that?
The problem is Disney assumed the costs and debts that Dark Phoenix had when they bought Fox.

So, the release of this film will return some money to Disney. Although I suspect Disney doesn't expect this terrible box office.

Last edited:
Based on this quote from Deadline, it'll probably be a while yet til it makes its budget back (if at all!):
finance experts tell us that the tale of Jean Grey will burn out with an estimated $100M-$120M loss after ancillaries, off a combined production and P&A estimated cost of $350M+ (which includes reshoots). Final global B.O. is projected at $300M-$325M, with one film finance suit telling us “If it drops like a stone, $285M."
In fact, Disney doesn't have $232Mil in the bank.
It's a figure of speech. You know what I meant :p

Last edited:
We always thought X-men was never going to suffer the same fate as F4, Inhumans.

When people were saying Disney shouldn't release the movie or instead just send it to streaming because getting a wide release would have a negative impact on the IP, they were laughed at and told that would never happen "the X-men brand is safe."

And yet here we are.

This is surely going to affected the opening weekend of the first MCU xmen no mater how good it turns out to be. Marvel really needs to go all out in the future to get people invested in the xmen again.

The first time we see mutants in the MCU won’t be in an X-men movie. They will probably do what they did with Spider-man and introduce characters in other movies first to get the anticipation up again. And it will be 5-6 years before we get an X-men movie.

I don't think so.
Mutants in general might appear first in other movies but the X-Men will only appear together in an X-Men movie.

The problem with the X-Men series as we know is that Brian Singer and Simon Kingberg had a very limited vision of what the X-men should be. We never got a X-Men movie where they go out on missions to save people. During the whole time in Fox was always about drama about them. This is boring for general audience to watch. They need to make a drama free X-men movie. Just have them to go out to save people and work as a team and have fun for while. Of course they'd have their internal struggle but that shouldn't be the focus of the movie like Fox did.

The X-Men will probably appear soon. How long did it take for the MCU to use Spider Man again after we just saw him in the Amazing Spider Man movies?

Amazing Spider-Man released in 2012
Captain America Civil War released in 2016

Spider Man first appear in Captain America Civil War. MCU waited only 4 years to use Spider Man.

Trust me, they won't wait long to use the X-Men. Sometimes I even think they'll surprise us and show the X-Men in a post credit scene of Spider Man far from home.

The first time we see mutants in the MCU won’t be in an X-men movie. They will probably do what they did with Spider-man and introduce characters in other movies first to get the anticipation up again. And it will be 5-6 years before we get an X-men movie.

That’s what I think. You will see them or some solo members here and there (maybe a Storm, a Prof X, a Wolverine, etc) in key/cool guest appearances/cameos in other movies and set it all up so when they finally have their own movie, people will know, how they are different then FoX-Men movies and who they are.

A reference to Wolverine prequel-type adventure/flashback introduced in some other film with the Hulk in the Canadian wilderness as Logan is set on a top secret mission to stop/retrieve Banner would be great for example.

That’s what I think. You will see them or some solo members here and there (maybe a Storm, a Prof X, a Wolverine, etc) in key/cool guest appearances/cameos in other movies and set it all up so when they finally have their own movie, people will know, how they are different then FoX-Men movies and who they are.

A reference to Wolverine prequel-type adventure/flashback introduced in some other film with the Hulk in the Canadian wilderness as Logan is set on a top secret mission to stop/retrieve Banner would be great for example.

Maybe it needs to be a cameo as part of a Hulk flashback. Why would Wolverine be after Hulk as he is now? But if Banner is telling someone about an incident that happened years ago when he was more savage, he could wonder "Who was that masked man?"

Maybe it needs to be a cameo as part of a Hulk flashback. Why would Wolverine be after Hulk as he is now? But if Banner is telling someone about an incident that happened years ago when he was more savage, he could wonder "Who was that masked man?"

That’s why I said prequel, it would be when Hulk was savage Hulk, probably some time just before TIH specifically. I don’t know what Marvel has planned but for the next few years you notice it’s a lot of prequels? Black Widow? Prequel. Eternals sounds like a huge prequel. Who know what else they have planned that it could be inserted into.

Hell, I would LOVE a Alpha Flight and it be a prequel. I doubt it would happen this soon, but then I didn’t expect Eternals.

That’s why I said prequel, it would be when Hulk was savage Hulk, probably some time just before TIH specifically. I don’t know what Marvel has planned but for the next few years you notice it’s a lot of prequels? Black Widow? Prequel. Eternals sounds like a huge prequel. Who know what else they have planned that it could be inserted into.

Hell, I would LOVE a Alpha Flight and it be a prequel. I doubt it would happen this soon, but then I didn’t expect Eternals.

I would've preferred Alpha Flight to the Eternals. They would be far more interesting, and open up other possibilities like a crossover with Hulk and Wolverine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"