The Doctor Doom Thread

Discussion in 'Fantastic Four' started by Spider-Fan, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Fluedd Registered

Bite your tongue, son. I like Hickman's FF, but he only evolved and expanded on the original premise. Lee/Kirby FF does not need improvement. It's this same type of thinking that made Galactus a cloud. I remember reading numerous, numerous posts saying how today's moviegoers would never accept a giant purple robot. Then you have Guardians of the Galaxy that features Celestials and Watchers. Give the real fans what they want and it will rarely bite you in the arse.

Stark Bauer and Johnny Richards like this.
  2. Johnny Richards Registered

I think 99% of moviegoers will love giant purple Galactus in an IMAX screen when the time comes. It'll be even more mind-blowing than seeing Arishem six months ago.

The morons at FOX weren't emulating Hickman. Hickman's run began 2 years after Rise of The Silver Surfer (FF #570 in August '09). The FOX people weren't even "grounding" the FF when they pulled their Galactus cloud stunt. They were just being cheap. The budget for Rise of the Silver Surfer barely allowed for the Surfer to be in the movie. Unbelievable, right? Why even bother to adapt the "Coming of Galactus" story if you can't afford the Surfer? It's just sheer stupidity. They couldn't afford Galactus so they made a cloud. That movie should have never been made. The studio clearly wasn't confident in the franchise even after a modestly successful albeit whatever origin story.

2007 was a tough year for Marvel movies. Ghost Rider, Spider-Man 3 & Rise of The Silver Surfer. Ouch.

Fluedd and Stark Bauer like this.
  3. Silvermoth Krakoan native

ha, I kind of love this

4. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

Marvel never has and never will do a direct translation of any story.

Look at the Infinity Saga. Yeah, you’ve go Thanos and the stones and the gauntlet, but the details are very different.

If we get a “ Secret Wars”, it will likely involve a large number of Marvel Characters engaged in various battles. Probably on an alien planet or planets, but not necessarily. It will probably feature the Beyonder, but not necessarily.

The actual details will probably borrow an occasional scene or moment here or there, but overall, it will likely feel like a very different story than what we’ve seen.

Spider-Fan and Stark Bauer like this.
  5. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

it has its pros and cons. Pro it is something unpredictable even for die-hards. Con it might anger the purists such as myself. Small changes are fine with me such as Yin Sen not being Chinese. Big changes are not alright. Especially if it changes the character's motivations or their composition (Tony Stark did not die at the end of The Infinity Gauntlet, War in the comics).

Willie Lumpkin likes this.
  6. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

Yeah, it could be a bit of a trap for Marvel.

There will be artistic and practical barriers to telling the story the way fans know it, but presumably the reason they’d be doing a Secret Wars story (as opposed to a more novel multiple crossover event) would be fan service.

They’ll have a tough line to walk to please hard-core fans while also doing something that fits with the MCU.

For example, replace Beyonder with Kang? Unthinkable, but with the direction the MCU is going, something like that could happen.

And that’s just one example. If you think about the story and where the MCU is right now, there are likely to be a lot of changes.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  7. Tg11 Registered

Nikolaj Coster Waldau as Victor Von Doom

8. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

probably the best choice at this juncture

9. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

I'd love Nikolaj in the role, but I fear he's aged out of their casting poll. Can't picture them going over 50 for a role like this.

10. Johnny Richards Registered

Not Kang. Doom.

11. Fluedd Registered

Imagine if it hadn't been made, we could be looking forward to a first MCU FF movie doing the story, properly this time. Some might object to doing Galactus straight out of the gate, but I think it would be okay.

The thing about that movie that really astounded me was that after "Rise of the Silver Surfer" set the ultimate example of how not to do things, the Green Lantern movie goes and make Parralax a cloud.

Stark Bauer and Johnny Richards like this.
  12. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

in all fairness you have the de-aging tech and also isnt Doom wearing a mask anyway? plus iirc his face is disfigured like Freddy Krueger

#262 Stark Bauer, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
  13. Tg11 Registered

Or who could they cast as Doctor Doom? I mean you could go Alexander Skarsgard

14. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

I have a gut feeling Adam Driver might get the part - he is young enough, has ties with Disney, and has the acting chops. He has experience playing dark hooded villains - hopefully he can be less emo though and more mature. Say what you want about Star Wars, but he certainly has screen presence. Tell me this doesn't look like the ruler of a fictional Eastern European nation called Latveria:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#264 Stark Bauer, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
  15. Johnny Richards Registered

He's one of my top 3 picks for Doom but I doubt he'll do it. After wearing the Kylo Ren mask I doubt he'll be down to wear the Doom mask.

16. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

I am sure Feige will make him an offer he can't refuse. Is there really an actor alive that would NOT want to be part of the MCU? It seems like a rite of passage at this point. A whos who of Hollywood. If you are "BIG" enough, you have been or will be in a Marvel Studios project, whether that is their Disney+ shows or feature films. Basically, if you can get your foot in the door at Marvel Studios, you have made it.

Johnny Richards likes this.
  17. Johnny Richards Registered

I totally agree with you. Specially with you know who playing Reed. It'd be a major victory to get Driver as Doom.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  18. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

The interplay and dynamic between what the audience perceives as a kind, down to earth, cool calm + collected, compassionate
    John Krasinski
    as Reed Richards vs. the merciless, blazingly emotionally intense, obsessive, power hungry Adam Driver will be a sight to behold.

Johnny Richards likes this.
  19. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

You are legit scaring me that that's how they're going to be portraying Reed, because that could not be a more wrong description of the character. :dry:
    Oh, for sure, Doom would ideally only be showing his face for flashbacks and his small role in the origin, but just being realistic, I don't see them doing a casting call that open. If Reed is in his 40's, that's what I expect they'll be looking at for Doom.

Also, I've always advocated for a mini-series depicting Doom's journey of mastering magic and technology to take back control of Latveria, and he would likely be unmasked for most of that. (I favor the "ancestral armor" narrative for the mask, not the "I, one of the smartest men in the world, am going to shove this burning hot metal onto my face" origin)

Stark Bauer likes this.
  20. Boom I got nothin'

Cillian Murphy please.

21. Johnny Richards Registered

He's awesome. A master.

BUT

1. Too short
    2. Too Old (46)

22. MilkmanDan Registered

I don't think that's a bad description of Reed. I think he works best when portrayed as reserved but essentially kind-hearted. Confident in his intelligence, knowing he's usually the smartest person in the room, but never thinking less of others for not seeing the world the way he and his unusual brain does.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  23. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

That's not Reed, though. If he was actually like that, he wouldn't need Sue the way he does. He's aloof, bound to his shared humanity by a tenuous strand that could break at any moment if his family isn't grounding him. He turned a bunch of Skrulls into cows without a second thought in one of his first missions! I just don't see him as "essentially kind-hearted." Left on his own, he would completely shut off his emotions if he could.

24. MilkmanDan Registered

Reed occasionally needs his family and friends to remind him to shower, eat and sleep because he's overly fascinated by all the cool stuff he can discover about the universe. That's not the same as him being cold and aloof to people once he's out of his laboratory.

And personally, I would put the turning Skrulls into cows down to 60's weirdness. It's not like the other FF members objected to the idea. And even at the time that was arguably meant to be a compassionate solution to dealing with a dangerous enemy that had come to Earth to kill and conquer it's inhabitants.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  25. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

Cillian is a great actor - but he is a Brit. He does not come across or even look like an Eatern European i.e. Romani. He would be great as an X-Men villain perhaps (Pyro maybe), we will see if he gets to be in the MCU - hopefully he does in some shape or form