The Doctor Doom Thread

Discussion in 'Fantastic Four' started by Spider-Fan, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

bot sure if serious lol. But actual serious, how do yall feel if they cast a man of African descent as Doctor Doom? I mean that would tie in more with Wakanda possibly right?

2. Wolvieboy17 Anthropomorphic Clock

I'd honestly prefer they keep Doom of European descent, because I think it's a good commentary on the power of European wealth etc

That said, a black actor playing Reed Richards would be "fantastic" and could play off Doom in a really cool way, i.e. two brilliant men but one made it there through hard work, the other through privilege etc.

Would also make sense since we know his eventual descendant Kang the Conqueror is already played by Jonathon Majors.

WatchProtect likes this.
  3. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

I would prefer he stay Euro as well, but if I had a choice between female Doom or male Doom, its male.

4. Wolvieboy17 Anthropomorphic Clock

Yeah, I think a large part of the rivalry between Doom was always kind of class warfare. Old wealth vs new blood. Tradition and birthright against a nobody newcomer. Doom is born with privelege and believes himself to be superior to Reed in every way. I think that character works better as a white man, since when it comes to traditional privilege, wealth and power, that's what it's historically been.

That said, it also makes a good argument for a diverse F4.

5. thangaran Registered

What about Viggo Mortensen?

Stark Bauer likes this.
  6. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Eh, with a thousand years in between, any similarity in racial phenotype should be almost entirely coincidental. Especially since most of that interim millenia is almost certainly in the form of a cosmopolitan interstellar society. Which doesn't mean you can't cast a black actor as Reed Richards, it just isn't required out of some "racial groups are static on historical time scales" reasoning.

KRYPTON INC. and Stark Bauer like this.
  7. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

. . . um, you do realize that none of that is *actually* in the comics, right? Doom was born with the exact opposite of privilege- he was born Roma, in a country that oppressed and abused the Roma. He only gained power by his own hand and effort, he wasn't born with it.

8. Wolvieboy17 Anthropomorphic Clock

Genuinely didn't realise that! Only stuff I ever read in regards to Doom's origin was Ultimate Fantastic 4. Every 616 F4 comic I read, or version of Doom was in other titles. So I always was under the impression he was born into that wealth.

That's a pretty cool backstory though, gonna read up more on it now.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  9. Fluedd Registered

I hope they please, please, please stay far away from the Ultimate FF comics when it comes to Doom and the Fantastic Four. Far away.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  10. Detective Conan Registered

What’s wrong with Ultimate FF?

Stark Bauer likes this.
  11. Wolvieboy17 Anthropomorphic Clock

I hate the look for Ultimate Doom's goat legs, and I like an older F4 cast, but I always thought the Reed/Victor rivalry was pretty spot on?

Stark Bauer likes this.
  12. Fluedd Registered

Ultimate FF was okay if you're looking to read an alternate version of the FF, like a What If? type of story. Unfortunately I thought it was considerably weaker than some of the other Ultimate versions, like the Avengers (Ultimates) and Spider-Man. There were ideas from both of those books that found their way into the movies to great effect. But Ultimate FF shouldn't be anywhere near the movie screen IMO. But it already has.

The Ultimate FF brought in the idea of a transporter accident being the origin of their powers. And it introduced the idea of Doom receiving powers in the same accident - an idea that I absolutely HATE. Ultimate Victor "Van Damme" didn't wear armor, he was given a metallic skin in the accident. And he had legs that bent backwards like a goat. Made him look more devilish, I guess. And I don't even want to talk about what they did to Gah Lak Tus. Stick to the Lee/Kirby version, please. That's where the brilliance is, along with some of the John Byrne stuff.

Dark Raven and Stark Bauer like this.
  13. Fluedd Registered

Thanks for the reminder, it also introduced the FF as a teenage think tank of super geniuses. Uggh, I'm getting a migraine, I need to lie down.

Dark Raven and Stark Bauer like this.
  14. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I'm not sure there is anything worth the effort of redeeming from Ultimate FF. Even the Maker, if you want to use "Evil Reed as villain", there main continuity offers plenty of picks to do that, such as the Council of Crosstime Reeds, without the foul odor of Ultimate FF wafting from them.

Dark Raven, Stark Bauer and Fluedd like this.
  15. John Piretra Registered

Hopefully Bell/Von Bardas has a big role in BP2.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  16. Frodo Registered

You mean Victoria Von Doom? Lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Frodo Registered

Yeah, he woulda been great.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  18. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

*cough* The reason why gender-flipping Dr Doom would be a terrible idea- it would introduce an unavoidable sexual element to the rivalry with Reed Richards, and I don't believe for a second it would not ultimately translate into a lesser character. Yes, it would be nice if a woman could be the villainous rival and nemesis of a man without sexual subtext and undertones, but that is not the society with live in, and it would absolutely result in diminishing either Doom's agency or menace or both. Or society simply does not read female villainy in the same way as male villainy.

. . . also, Dr Doom already *has* a sexual undertone rivalry doing on, and do you *really* want to sacrifice his homo-erotic villain bromance with Namor? I don't. *eg*

patam and Stark Bauer like this.
  19. Fluedd Registered

SPOILER SPACE FOR BLACK WIDOW MOVIE if you care about such things.
    Well, they already made the Taskmaster a female. I thought the twist was kind of cool though. But if I was a big Taskmaster fan I probably would have been disappointed.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  20. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

a female villain that is done in a non sexual way usually means making her unattractive and repulsive. think Ursula or Medusa.

21. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

i honetsly didnt mind. i did mind that taskmaster wasnt wise cracking. also the costume looked more like a power ranger snake eyes knock off rather than being comic book accurate or at least capturing the spirit of the character - white hood skull face.

[​IMG]

Fluedd likes this.
  22. GoblinScrier Registered

We all know our wants for this character but let us all take a moment...do we really think Marvel Studios will give us THIS look of Doom, the whole classic attire, the burns/scarring, the green cloak, everything....OR...will they actually take liberties and make their own "necessary changes?" Can we hope that they will recognize that his look is beyond iconic and shouldn't be messed with???

C3ZZ753VUAA3bTO.jpg

Stark Bauer likes this.
  23. Fluedd Registered

You would expect Marvel to stay true to its own characters, but that really hasn't been the case. Look at what they've done with Spider-Man. It's been a pretty good adaptation, so I'm not going to complain. But MJ/Zantaya is NOT Mary Jane. It's a bit like doing Superman without Lois Lane, and replacing her with a new character instead of Lana Lang. They changed Aunt May and what happened with her, and took away the one thing Uncle Ben was most known for (if you've seen the new movie).

So will we see the "real" Doom, or the "real" FF? I hope so, but maybe not. Even if we don't, I hope they at least make a good movie and have a great story.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  24. Dweet Registered

One day it will happen. Someone who can see it its not broken don't fix it.

Fluedd and Stark Bauer like this.
  25. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

compare the main four avengers to their comic book looks. even Thanos was practically ripped from the pages. Doctor Strange imho has the best realized costume in the MCU

Ryan Meinerdring and Adi Granov are the go to concept artists for the MCU. I hope they go with their visions for Doom.

Adi Granov:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there are 5 more pages from the comic here in their proper context (8 pages total) Intermission: Doctor Doom

#150 Stark Bauer, Dec 30, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2021