The Election Night Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fell asleep for a few hours and I'm waking up to the news. SMH America. How did we go from Obama to this?

I've Bernie Sanders supporters voting Trump just simply because of not wanting to vote for Hillary.

Vagina...pretty much

That evil vagina is a pawn of the Devil.

81840659.gif

Fell asleep for a few hours and I'm waking up to the news. SMH America. How did we go from Obama to this?

I've Bernie Sanders supporters voting Trump just simply because of not wanting to vote for Hillary.

Rubber band theory of politics + electoral college (Clinton is very close to winning the popular vote)

I think as Van Jones called it, it's whitelash against the first Black President.

Trump down to a 0.2% national popular vote lead. Last update until Clinton overtakes him.

Weirdly it says there is like 94% counted. In 2012 they were stuck at like 85% well into December. If the 94% is true, the turnout for this election will be much less then 2012, hell Romney might get more votes then Trump(although it will be close)

You know what... I also blame the Internet for this. The Internet politically speaking promulgates conspiracy theories and incorrect information at an alarming rate. Surprise, surprise... The candidate that espoused insanely incorrect information and conspiracy theories won.

The solution is to get rid of all those whites.

Dude... No.

The solution is for Americans of all stripes stopping with the motivation based on baseless anger.

Here is the question: Did Trump win because of the demagoguery or despite it?

I'm getting a bit teary-eyed thinking about the future of this country. After the 8 years of Obama administration, this feels like a complete regression of human decency and tolerance. America has decided to empower the racism and sexism that once define this nation and elect a man who will do everything in his power to divide and destroy this country. Dark times are ahead.

Dude... No.

The solution is for Americans of all stripes stopping with the motivation based on baseless anger.

:up: Agree that's a good place to start....I was just trying to add a bit of levity(?)

I'm getting a bit teary-eyed thinking about the future of this country. After the 8 years of Obama administration, this feels like a complete regression of human decency and tolerance. America has decided to empower the racism and sexism that once define this nation and elect a man who will do everything in his power to divide and destroy this country. Dark times are ahead.

It's not THAT bad... But as I stated, elections have consequences. He's gonna have a mostly pliable congress, and we all have to wonder what exactly his foreign policy is going to be and how this man is going to react in a crisis. I don't want to contemplate a major terrorist attack on these shores under a Trump administration and what would come next.

It doesn't matter in the end, this running gag of "Lol white Americans are dumb let's send them to the moon" has taken hold, and they've responded to the fear mongering and the defensive posturing of what they consider one of their own. My tip for anyone in regard to everyone else, disagree with people, question their views, angrily refute their beliefs, but don't invalidate their identities. The invalidation of identity from the right for the last few decades gave rise to the regressive left, who in turn played the same game and lit a fire under uneducated white Americans who through demographic size just elected one of the worst potential leaders of the USA.

It's a joke to everyone who it doesn't affect.

"Lol get rid of the Mexicans", "Lol who cares about the gays?", "Lol get rid of the whites". In a world where there are survivors of genocides these statements don't ever go down well in attempts at humor, and even less as political strategy.

It doesn't matter in the end, this running gag of "Lol white Americans are dumb let's send them to the moon" has taken hold, and they've responded to the fear mongering and the defensive posturing of what they consider one of their own. My tip for anyone in regard to everyone else, disagree with people, question their views, angrily refute their beliefs, but don't invalidate their identities. The invalidation of identity from the right for the last few decades gave rise to the regressive left, who in turn played the same game and lit a fire under uneducated white Americans who through demographic size just elected one of the worst potential leaders of the USA.

It's a joke to everyone who it doesn't affect.

"Lol get rid of the Mexicans", "Lol who cares about the gays?", "Lol get rid of the whites". In a world where there are survivors of genocides these statements don't ever go down well in attempts at humor, and even less as political strategy.

Trump's "ban all muslims" strategy went down well with the Deplorables.

Trump's "ban all muslims" strategy went down well with the Deplorables.

Precisely. I mean the statements never go down well with the groups they're aimed at, jokes, sarcasm, or not. American political discourse has deteriorated into "which identities can I capture" for both sides. The reliance for parties to make token gestures to particular demographics is a blight on any attempts to get a population to engage a democracy beyond petty attempts at keeping "the out group" at bay.

The right has demonized minorities for decades, the left responds by demonizing white men. The "other" vs the "non-other" - it's a complete waste of time and allow catch phrase friendly morons like Trump to get a following just on the principle that he'll protect X from Y.

This is the last gasping breath of the uneducated angry white man. Now the question is just how far down the rabbit hole does senate and congress allow him to go? Hopefully, they do their best to keep him in check. He better institute term limits in congress like he promised, that could be one good thing to come out of a Trump presidency. As a white guy with a good job I don't think it's going to make much difference for me but it's people like my sponsor's son who is a heart baby that wouldn't have insurance had it not been for Obamacare that I'm scared for. The only thing that comes to mind now is they reap what they sow.

No one is invalidating anyone. These voters are dealing with legitimate issues. I don't deny that.

But that legitimate concern is also woven together with unfounded resentments, a low information world view capped off with some strange beliefs in ridiculous conspiracies. I can't respect that. Sorry. And I can't respect the cognitive dissonance that elects a Trump to shake up the system but then they re-vote in the same congressional representatives, some of whom have served a very long time. It's not so much about race as it is incredibly short sighted and flawed judgment.

This is the last gasping breath of the uneducated angry white man. Now the question is just how far down the rabbit hole does senate and congress allow him to go? Hopefully, they do their best to keep him in check. He better institute term limits in congress like he promised, that could be one good thing to come out of a Trump presidency. As a white guy with a good job I don't think it's going to make much difference for me but it's people like my sponsor's son who is a heart baby that wouldn't have insurance had it not been for Obamacare that I'm scared for. The only thing that comes to mind now is they reap what they sow.

I'm concerned about a pliable congress and the appointees Trump is going to make in his administration. That's not even mentioning the Supreme Court.

No one is invalidating anyone. These voters are dealing with legitimate issues. I don't deny that.

But that legitimate concern is also woven together with unfounded resentments, a low information world view capped off with some strange beliefs in ridiculous conspiracies. I can't respect that. Sorry. And I can't respect the cognitive dissonance that elects a Trump to shake up the system but then they re-vote in the same congressional representatives, some of whom have served a very long time. It's not so much about race as it is incredibly short sighted and flawed judgment.

Not according to the political interactions I've been witnessing on this board and social media in general, and not according to the fact that scare tactics from an inept tycoon got him elected president. The only way a despot gets elected is for his voter base to feel like they're under threat from something, and that's other identity groups.

That popular vote is getting closer and closer, in favor of Clinton. I wonder how people will react if she actually wins the popular vote? I was too young to remember 2000 but i hear Bush won the election without the popular vote. Quite the broken system we have

I voted Bernie in the Primary and I voted for Hillary in the GE. My conscious is clear. I sincerely hope the checks and balances the government has in place work like they are supposed to. As a white, Christian, straight man who has already served in the military, there isn't much I have to worry about. But if things go like I feel they are going to go, I want to get screengrabs of all the Trumpeters gloating right now so I can throw it back in their faces if the time comes. Hopefully, this rattles the DNC to its core, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"