The Winter Soldier The Falcon

UvimtKr.jpg

In addition to his burgeoning acting career, Mackie is also an athlete, regularly competing in the International Human Lawn Dart Competition.

UvimtKr.jpg

I believe I can fly! I believe I can touch the sky! I think about it every night and day! Spread my wings and fly away!

lvxn.jpg

ANTHONY: (Talking on the Phone) C'mon Joss! Are you telling me, that after watching my kick-ass performance in "The Winter Soldier", that I still shouldn't be involved with "Age of Ultron as well"?

And some other good photos of him as Falcon....

uld8.jpg

852x.jpg

uffw.jpg

g9c4.jpg

Last edited:
herolee, think you need to fix how you are posting pictures since they're all coming up as broken images for me.

On another note, does anyone know if Falcon either goes through a quick wardrobe change during the final Aerial Battle or if it was change mid-way to have Anthony's Falcon sport a short sleeve look as opposed to the long sleeve one shown below? I mean I noticed on how we haven't really seen any footage of shots of him in the long sleeve uniform that he was spotted in the first time we saw him shooting for the film.

anthonymackie-falcon-5.jpg

It would actually make more sense for him to be in long-sleeves due to the cold air while flying but I haven't seen any shots of him in long-sleeves in the trailers or TV spots so I think they went to a short-sleeve look. Maybe we do see him with long-sleeves for a bit but he ditches them when he has to put the wing pack on in a hurry or they're in hiding.

It would actually make more sense for him to be in long-sleeves due to the cold air while flying but I haven't seen any shots of him in long-sleeves in the trailers or TV spots so I think they went to a short-sleeve look. Maybe we do see him with long-sleeves for a bit but he ditches them when he has to put the wing pack on in a hurry or they're in hiding.

I think I remember having seen him wearing long sleeves, when the shot of him falling down from the hellcarrier as he was shooting at a oncoming Quinjet was first released from the first trailer, but since then... I remember seeing that same shot not too long ago, only it looked like he was in short sleeves in the shot this time around.

Personally, I think he looks better with the short sleeved look.

lvxn.jpg

ANTHONY: (Talking on the Phone) C'mon Joss! Are you telling me, that after watching my kick-ass performance in "The Winter Soldier", that I still shouldn't be involved with "Age of Ultron as well"?

Hope to god Joss includes at least cameos from Falcon and War Machine in AOU. If not, this is going to turn into a racist movie trope, the Black Sidekick Who's Not "Good Enough" To Make the Whites-Only All-Stars.

Falcon and War Machine are superheroes, for Christsake. And they ARE canonical Avengers, to boot. Keeping them out of the mix is just beyond stubborn and stupid --- it's ugly.

Hope to god Joss includes at least cameos from Falcon and War Machine in AOU. If not, this is going to turn into a racist movie trope, the Black Sidekick Who's Not "Good Enough" To Make the Whites-Only All-Stars.

Falcon and War Machine are superheroes, for Christsake. And they ARE canonical Avengers, to boot. Keeping them out of the mix is just beyond stubborn and stupid --- it's ugly.

Well it's not like Thor's white "sidekicks" make it either. No, Selvig doesn't count.

Well it's not like Thor's white "sidekicks" make it either. No, Selvig doesn't count.

Thor's sidekicks have never been Avengers. War Machine and Falcon have been....prominently.

It has nothing to do with racism.

If anything, it'd just be not knowing how to fit them in...

For all we know they save them for when Evans/Hemsworth/RDJ/ScarJo move on and they need to fill out the roster with Rudd/Ruffalo/Strange and these two.

It has nothing to do with racism.

If anything, it'd just be not knowing how to fit them in...

For all we know they save them for when Evans/Hemsworth/RDJ/ScarJo move on and they need to fill out the roster with Rudd/Ruffalo/Strange and these two.

Sorry, I don't buy that for a minute.
When the contracts run out on the Big Three/Four, there's no way in hell that Marvel just ditches those characters for The Benchwarmers. As a franchise, the movie Avengers will work the same way they do in the comics --- a core group of central characters with a rotating cast of auxiliaries. Marvel will just recast IM, Thor, Cap and/or Hulk before they *replace* them with second-stringers.

Sorry, I don't buy that for a minute.
When the contracts run out on the Big Three/Four, there's no way in hell that Marvel just ditches those characters for The Benchwarmers. As a franchise, the movie Avengers will work the same way they do in the comics --- a core group of central characters with a rotating cast of auxiliaries. Marvel will just recast IM, Thor, Cap and/or Hulk before they *replace* them with second-stringers.

1. If you constantly have the same characters in your face all the time, it will get tired and it won't new and fresh. Marvel knows that. It's why the rumors are that they're prepping Strange to be the new "leader" so to speak, ala RDJ's Iron Man, in the sense that the character drives things.

2. Marvel only makes so many movies a year, and if you keep the same guys around, they how do they get working on arcs for Black Panther, Strange, the Inhumans, Miss Marvel, etc.

I will not be even a bit surprised if the main cast of Avengers 4 or whatever they do is...

- Dr. Strange
- Hulk (?)
- Ant-Man
- Black Panther
- Miss Marvel
- Captain Bucky (?)
- Vision (?)

With Falcon and Rhoadey possible in supporting roles ala Widow and Hawkeye.

Do we know for sure? No. But we don't know if they'll keep the big characters around either. Maybe they take a break after RDJ, introduce Strange, and then work towards finding a new Steve Rogers/Tony Stark, etc. to come back. I really do think we'll see cycles so that it doesn't get repetitive for the GA. Us comic book people love the characters and have been reading them for years and aren't stuck in the "been there, seen that" mindset, but they have to know the GA is huge to keeping Marvel Studios a viable business, and that they can't get repetitive for those folks.

Regardless of my feelings or yours, we don't know. That's just how it is. Until it happens, it's all just speculation and it could go either way. So I don't think it warrants a "no way in hell"...

Also, the original point stands. It's not racism. For all we know, Whedon doesn't know how to fit them into the story when he has to do with adding Vision/SW/QS, plus getting more Hawkeye on screen. At some point it can get a bit bloated. Has to know where to draw a line. And both Falcon/WM add a lot to individual stories. If they all end up int he Avengers, what's so special about seeing them in the solos? You might as well just keep making 2-3 Avengers movies a year and not worry about solo efforts.

I know, it's just my way of saying "unlikely."

But I believe the core will remain, while future Avengers works on "developing" the auxiliary characters in each new episode, like Hawkeye, Widow, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, [BLACKOUT]Vision,[/BLACKOUT] and (hopefully) WM and Falcon.

The Core Four can remain central to Avenger plots as the team leadership, but more screentime can be devoted to introducing the new guys *without* having to actually *replace* the old guard.

Zero interest in war machine joining the Avengers. Redundant. Falcon is a definite yes though. Make it happen joss.

Speaking of... someone around here said Evans was willing to re-sign after his current deal, but he's also been said to want to take a break from acting when the deal is up. Anybody have source quotes on that?

RE: Mackie and Falcon -- I love that he loves the character. Sure, Evans/Hemsworth/RDJ have really embodied their characters, but there's something I love about an actor who's so committed to their character and place in the MCU and would jump at more movies and more cameros at a moment's notice. I.E. SLJ, Clark Gregg, Hiddleston and apparently now Mackie.

I agree. With The Avengers, not including Rhodey/War Machine was excusable for several reasons, not least of which was that they needed to establish the core group first. Now that the team is up and running it's going to be impossible to explain away the absence of the two major Black superheroes in the MCU. "But we didn't have room!" makes no sense because Wanda & Pietro have been added.

Rhodey is supposedly in AOU, but we'll see how that goes. It's going to look extremely bad if he only appears in civvies and is given nothing to do as part of the team. Even worse would be if Whedon does as too many fans assume he will and kills Rhodey off so that Ultron can make a point. Whatever happens, if Marvel continues to neglect its Black superheroes when it comes to the Avengers it won't have any more excuses to fall back on.

I agree. With The Avengers, not including Rhodey/War Machine was excusable for several reasons, not least of which was that they needed to establish the core group first. Now that the team is up and running it's going to be impossible to explain away the absence of the two major Black superheroes in the MCU. "But we didn't have room!" makes no sense because Wanda & Pietro have been added.

Rhodey is supposedly in AOU, but we'll see how that goes. It's going to look extremely bad if he only appears in civvies and is given nothing to do as part of the team. Even worse would be if Whedon does as too many fans assume he will and kills Rhodey off so that Ultron can make a point. Whatever happens, if Marvel continues to neglect its Black superheroes when it comes to the Avengers it won't have any more excuses to fall back on.

They've been working night and day to get a Black Panther movie going. There's no racism going.

With both WM/Falcon they are much of the same. QS/SW add different elements and dimensions to the team AS WELL as add to the story with Von Strucker.

Can we say the same of WM/Falcon? No. One is in the military and the other is a psychiatrist or whatever. Their is no story link to Strucker.

Let's say they show up for just the final battle, people would complain there isn't enough story for them. If they added story, people would complain about the scaling back of Cap/Stark/Vision whoever. It's already happened with the first Avengers -- people complaining about every character and their use in the film.

At the end of the day it's a big movie and there's only so much screen time and a story has to make sense. If they don't make sense to the story, I don't see the complaint. People would suddenly complain about being force fed them just like they did with SHIELD/BW in IM2.

They're working on BP at some point. Ms. Marvel is likely also in the cards. It's coming.

We're talking about Joss Whedon -- king of the male feminists -- he's far from some racist prick.

They've been working night and day to get a Black Panther movie going.

You're saying this based on what?

They're working on BP at some point. Ms. Marvel is likely also in the cards. It's coming.

That's a more believable statement than the previous quote. Though still just conjecture...

We're talking about Joss Whedon -- king of the male feminists -- he's far from some racist prick.

Not saying I think he's a racist but him being a feminist has nothing to do with it.

The really do need to bring Falcon in. If only for Mackie on the red carpet to promote it, along with RDJ/Ruffalo/Evans…

There are rumors that War Machine is in this movie. Don Cheadle has been evasive about it when asked.

Yeah, I thought I remember reading an article saying Cheadle had been signed for AoU already...

You're saying this based on what?

That's a more believable statement than the previous quote. Though still just conjecture...

It's a pretty known thing that Strange, BP, Inhumans and Ant-Man (now confirmed) are what they've been developing. As well as having completed scripts floating around for a Fury movie, and Widow movie.

Not saying I think he's a racist but him being a feminist has nothing to do with it.

I think it speaks to the type of person he is, and his beliefs in equality. Which is the point I was making -- if Falcon and WM aren't big players in AoU it's not a racist slight. You can think of it as a missed opportunity, sure. But not a racist backhand to black superheroes.

They've included WM in two IM movies with a hint at him in the origin. And they've now included Falcon in a movie with some substance, and walked away from the back story that some could have misread (a black pimp) by people looking too deep into it.

I have no doubt in my mind that black and female superheroes will get their due with Marvel. But they also want to focus on making the best movies possible and continuing to keep Marvel Studios a viable business and a big part of pop culture. If WM or Falcon don't fit the story ofAoU, then so be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"