The Dark Knight The Fate of Two Face

I wouldn't be so sure about that now. This is from last night at a TDK event in Beverly Hills.

I made it a point of digging into the fate of Eckhart’s character in the film. “I don’t care, I don’t think you’re dead,” I said. “Oh, I’m dead,” he responded. I immediately leaned in to Thomas and told her I’m well aware of what she has said on the matter, and all she could offer was a devilish grin. Eckhart jumped in: “Look, if you guys want me back (meaning Thomas, Nolan and company), I’d love to come back.” The case may not be as closed as we’d think.

http://www.incontention.com/?p=3271

The case is quite closed: he's dead. The actor, the writer and the script said so.

No room for interpretation: HE'S DEAD! End of story. It’s in the script, novelisation and Nolan himself has said so.

In this film, Two-Face isn't a villain. He's a vigilante with a personal grudge that can only go so far. He couldn't support his own film as a central villain. Ending it right after the origin story creates a very solid curve for the character. You have to put everything you can into the film and try to make it as great as it can be. Two Face, who already was a tragic character, has become even more so.

The film is about Harvey’s rise and fall from grace. Joker’s entire endgame is about this, and the film’s title hinges on Harvey’s death and subsequent cover up of it. Harvey Dent had an entire film of air time; let’s not think of Harvey Dent and Two Face as two separate people. So, really, he isn’t killing him off after twenty minutes. He is killing him off after two or so hours. Personally, I think the move is bold, and makes great sense in how the story progresses.

And given what else happens in the ending, it makes no sense if Dent survived that fall. Batman and Gordon would have to be the biggest idiots ever.

How about a The Face of Two Fate thread..? I mean, for a change :hehe:

The case is quite closed: he's dead. The actor, the writer and the script said so.

I agree 100%, but I wouldn't put it past Nolan to be just saying this just to keep the fans on their toes.

If Hush is in the next film, I would love more than anything for Harvey to return and
blast the bastard to hell, just like he did in the comics.

He's dead. Confirmed from the producer, the writer, in the goddamn script capitalized, and by the actor himself. HE IS DEAD. What keeps him alive is fanboy specualtion and hope.

Two Face died like a betch. Thanks Nolan for ruining a favorite character!

^ That's sad.

But he is dead. Nolan even said it in the audio commentary.

Harvey Dent had an entire film of air time; let’s not think of Harvey Dent and Two Face as two separate people. So, really, he isn’t killing him off after twenty minutes. He is killing him off after two or so hours. Personally, I think the move is bold, and makes great sense in how the story progresses.

Perfectly said, my thoughts exactly! :up:

I'm still waiting for a movie with Two-Face as a central villain. Tommy Lee Jones sucked, and while Eckhart was a great Harvey, i don't think he captured the psychosis and menace of Two-Face.

It just seemed like post-accident Harvey Dent, rather than the villain from the comics.

This was my main beef with TDK.

The script said he's dead, Eckart said he's dead. That more than enough for me to confirm he's dead!

Didn't Nolan him self say Two-Face is dead last week while doing the Live Commentary? I was one who always paid attention to them only saying "Harvey is dead" and from what I have read, Nolan actually said Two-Face the other night.

I'm still waiting for a movie with Two-Face as a central villain. Tommy Lee Jones sucked, and while Eckhart was a great Harvey, i don't think he captured the psychosis and menace of Two-Face.

It just seemed like post-accident Harvey Dent, rather than the villain from the comics.

Are you kidding me? I personally thought that, if it weren't for Eckhart, TDK wouldn't have felt as flawless as it did. I think he's what solidified the rest of the movie.

His story is finished "You ethier die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villian"
it would make no sense to bring him back,
tdk was the rise and fall of harvey dent

He is dead

next villian............

The way the scene is played out in the movie, Two Face's death could be easily reversed, because it was unclear in the movie whether Harvey was announced dead or not.

However, Nolan and Eckhart say that he is dead. Unless they change their minds, or a new director comes in, the character is dead.

Last edited:
No room for interpretation: HE'S DEAD! End of story. It’s in the script, novelisation and Nolan himself has said so.

In this film, Two-Face isn't a villain. He's a vigilante with a personal grudge that can only go so far. He couldn't support his own film as a central villain. Ending it right after the origin story creates a very solid curve for the character. You have to put everything you can into the film and try to make it as great as it can be. Two Face, who already was a tragic character, has become even more so.

The film is about Harvey’s rise and fall from grace. Joker’s entire endgame is about this, and the film’s title hinges on Harvey’s death and subsequent cover up of it. Harvey Dent had an entire film of air time; let’s not think of Harvey Dent and Two Face as two separate people. So, really, he isn’t killing him off after twenty minutes. He is killing him off after two or so hours. Personally, I think the move is bold, and makes great sense in how the story progresses.

And given what else happens in the ending, it makes no sense if Dent survived that fall. Batman and Gordon would have to be the biggest idiots ever.

Exactly. That is why in the script he is still refered to as Dent and not Two-Face.

I feel your pain, Raspy. He didn't even have a split personality. No daddy issues really hinted at. And now he's dead.

I don't think he needed all that but it does suck that he's dead. I'm really interested to see how they'll explore Batman being hunted...seeing as he actually did break his one rule & all, despite not killing those others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"