The Flash The Flash Season 1 Episode 17 "Tricksters"

I was kinda wondering the same...

Same here. Barry was letting his emotions get the better of him around Wells quite a few times in the episode and Wells is very observant and notices the smallest of details. He will know that something is up and will eventually (or perhaps he already has) realise that Barry knows his secret.

I don't think so. In that episode he had a sort of half mumbled line along the lines of "imagine how difficult it would be when you had many years worth of history to preserve". I think he was speaking of experience and referring to the fact that he has been going for 15 years trying to make sure that he only alters very specific things and not others, and it ultimately has tunred out to be very difficult, even for him.

Seemed to be that Thawne was telling the truth, but he was only speaking from one very bad personal experience, not extensive experimentation. Guess we'll find out eventually. (At least it's vague enough that they could go in any direction without contradicting themselves in this case)

Yeah at least Eddie seemed rather uncomfortable with the idea of keeping her in the dark. I hope that that becomes a source of tension between him and Barry/Joe (at least).

I can't think of many that I've loved this much and was so consistently good week after week from the start.

Alias season 1. Sadly, it went downhill fast shortly thereafter...

Alias season 1. Sadly, it went downhill fast shortly thereafter...

Never watched that. Maybe Lost was another shoe thag hooked me from the start but I didnt see that until netflix.

Dardevil starts in like 10 days and its gotten good reviews, could be another really strong cbm show so thats exciting.

The Tricksters were terrible, way too cheesy. The fact that they're all still lying to Iris is just stupid at this point. The Wells flashbacks were wonderful, however, and the preview was spectacular.

Harrison Wells (not Eobard Thawne) was pretty fascinating in the bit of time we spend with him. He was just a regular humble dorky scientist in love with his lady. I could totally see him as the guy who likely mentored the Flash that chased Thawne 15 years ago. Just goes to show how amazing Tom Cavanagh's range is. He completely sold 2 totally distinct characters in this series like it was nothing. Matt Letscher deserves credit too for emulating Cavanagh's Thawne-isms so well.

Trickster was great.

"That's not very sanitary" I actually LOL'ed.

The Tricksters were terrible, way too cheesy. The fact that they're all still lying to Iris is just stupid at this point. The Wells flashbacks were wonderful, however, and the preview was spectacular.
I liked the original trickster. I'd take him over Heatwave, Cap. Cold, Weather Wizard easily. The 2nd trickster didn't hold a candle to Mark. He was cheesy.

I think it's smart that they are lying to Iris. Because if they tell Iris the truth, the reporter in her will try to write a story on Wells and she would get herself or her father killed because of it.

No it's not, it's stupid as Hell. The reporter in her will STILL write stories that are Flash-related and will STILL be put in danger as a result. The only thing that this does is put her in MORE danger because she won't have all the facts and thus not take the necessary precautions to protect herself. This does NOTHING to "keep her safe" whatsoever.

And I'm just flat-out tired of her being the ONLY main character who doesn't know (hell even Eiling and Captain Cold know). It adds NOTHING of value to the show, it's just an anchor around the character's neck.

I couldn't understand why they had to lie about Mason Bridge i mean i know people can't stand Journalist but this guy was a good guy and was murdered for trying to get to the truth about Wells. now their covering it up someone elses murder that was annoying that Barry and the rest had to cover it up and not ever let the truth come out about what happened to Mason.

And as for the Trickster that was so cool seeing Mark and the original flash share scenes together.

Because it would not have been long before Iris started looking into his death on his own...and if he got killed for looking into Wells then so would Iris.

And she won't know because? Seriously the fact that she apparently swallowed that incredibly flimsy "explanation" as easily as she did just makes her look like a complete idiot. So the writers are treating her horribly no matter which way you slice it.

And she won't know because? Seriously the fact that she apparently swallowed that incredibly flimsy "explanation" as easily as she did just makes her look like a complete idiot. So the writers are treating her horribly no matter which way you slice it.

You are so over-dramatic and exaggeratory about anything related to Iris.

Late to here but my word. Another freaking brilliant episode! How do they keep on doing it?

Mark Hamill was extremely enjoyable to watch as the Trickster. The flashback of Wells/Thawne/Reverse Flash was fascinating. Also loved the Star Wars and Breaking Bad references.

The only disappointment was the Trickster's crime. I mean seriously, 20 years in jail and plenty of time to plot and the best they had him do was to rob the fellas in the City Hall.

Then again, the villains' crimes in the past few episodes have been slightly flat and were done only to serve the bigger plot of the Flash-Reverse Flash.

And oh, when is Iris going to find out that Barry is the Flash? He confronted the Trickster without vibrating his voice and even mentioned the name 'Henry Allen' pretty loud and twice!

I don't have as much a problem with Iris not knowing as I do with Eddie knowing. I mean,we know Joe is somewhat over-protective when it comes to Iris.But whom would you trust more with your secret in this case?

I couldn't understand why they had to lie about Mason Bridge i mean i know people can't stand Journalist but this guy was a good guy and was murdered for trying to get to the truth about Wells. now their covering it up someone elses murder that was annoying that Barry and the rest had to cover it up and not ever let the truth come out about what happened to Mason.

This isn't an ordinary murder that they've "covered up", and there are certainly not dealing with an ordinary killer.

They are dealing with a superhuman killer with genius-level intellect who has literally traveled through time and methodically/meticulously set in motion a 15-year plan; a man who has shown he will not let anyone or anything uncover his secret or come close to stopping him.

Keeping Mason's death a secret from everyone (including Iris) is essential right now, because otherwise, the Reverse Flash would know that they are on to him which could be extremely dangerous for everyone involved.

When it comes to Iris specifically, why would they tip for off to Mason's murder or the nefarious things "Harrison Wells" has done? If she were to even ask the wrong question to someone or poke her head in the wrong places, she could easily wind up sharing the same fate that Mason did -- death. Barry and Joe do not yet know the extent of Wells' capabilities or his reach and keeping Iris in the dark for now is the best chance they have at keeping her safe. We've seen what Wells has done to people who know Wells' secrets or Barry's identity.

As for Mason, he knew that Harrison Wells was a dangerous person that was clearly up to no good, which is why he was investigating him. Even in death, I'm sure Mason would understand why his murder was not made public, especially if it means lives will be saved. As Joe or Barry said last night, Wells has been extremely patient with his plans, and they have to follow suit with their own so they don't blow this whole thing out of the water.

This isn't an ordinary murder that they've "covered up", and there are certainly not dealing with an ordinary killer.

They are dealing with a superhuman killer with genius-level intellect who has literally traveled through time and methodically/meticulously set in motion a 15-year plan; a man who has shown he will not let anyone or anything uncover his secret or come close to stopping him.

Keeping Mason's death a secret from everyone (including Iris) is essential right now, because otherwise, the Reverse Flash would know that they are on to him which could be extremely dangerous for everyone involved.

When it comes to Iris specifically, why would they tip for off to Mason's murder or the nefarious things "Harrison Wells" has done? If she were to even ask the wrong question to someone or poke her head in the wrong places, she could easily wind up sharing the same fate that Mason did -- death. Barry and Joe do not yet know the extent of Wells' capabilities or his reach and keeping Iris in the dark for now is the best chance they have at keeping her safe. We've seen what Wells has done to people who know Wells' secrets or Barry's identity.

As for Mason, he knew that Harrison Wells was a dangerous person that was clearly up to no good, which is why he was investigating him. Even in death, I'm sure Mason would understand why his murder was not made public, especially if it means lives will be saved. As Joe or Barry said last night, Wells has been extremely patient with his plans, and they have to follow suit with their own so they don't blow this whole thing out of the water.

and Barry still doesnt think he can beat Reverse Flash.

I don't have as much a problem with Iris not knowing as I do with Eddie knowing. I mean,we know Joe is somewhat over-protective when it comes to Iris.But whom would you trust more with your secret in this case?

It's not about who he trusts more or loves more.

Rather, Eddie is his a trained cop/detective and Joe's partner on the force who puts his life on the line every day, while Iris is a young, female, post-college journalist. Who would believe has a better shot at handling their own in a dangerous situation? Who would you trust more with a life-threatening secret?

Who has a better shot at helping Joe and Barry in their fight against Wells? Who "signed on" for a dangerous lifestyle and which one's life does NOT deserve to be at risk?

...keeping Iris in the dark for now is the best chance they have at keeping her safe.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Literally the entrire plot of 7 Harry Potter books hinges on the very same premise. Nobody tells Harry anything about what's going on "to protect him" and/or "he's too young to understand the severity of the situation". As a result Harry always goes off and gets into trouble because noone explained to him why it is important to stay put...

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree with this. Literally the entrire plot of 7 Harry Potter books hinges on the very same premise. Nobody tells Harry anything about what's going on "to protect him" and/or "he's too young to understand the severity of the situation". As a result Harry always goes off and gets into trouble because noone explained to him why it is important to stay put...

That's...completely different and possibly the worst comparison you could have made, to be honest. Harry Potter is a wizard with a monumental past and the subject of a huge, complicated prophecy against an evil wizard. For much of the series, he was also a young boy learning to develop his powers while at school, with people often hunting him or working against him.

Joe and Barry are essentially keeping a secret from Iris because they love her and don't want to give this psychopathic killer (Reverse Flash) any reason to kill her. Let's not forget that the Reverse Flash already threatened her life once to Joe.

The flashbacks with Wells and Eobard were interesting, the gimmick Eobard used to steal Wells body was very similar toi the one in Fringe that was used for body-snatching.

I am now thinking this body switcheroo gimmick is how Eddie's sudden heel turn comes about, once the Wells identity is exposed he's going to need a new body to use that will still keep him close to Barry. Of course that might prove tricky given they are relatives.....:hmm

As for the Trickster's story, I absolutely loved it, just classic comic book goodness and Hamill left no piece of scenery unchewed lol, plus he got a neat little ESB homage in. :D The whole tone of it reminded me of a STAS episode.
Just read you post, get out of my mind:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=31003345&postcount=974

;)

Harrison Wells (not Eobard Thawne) was pretty fascinating in the bit of time we spend with him. He was just a regular humble dorky scientist in love with his lady. I could totally see him as the guy who likely mentored the Flash that chased Thawne 15 years ago. Just goes to show how amazing Tom Cavanagh's range is. He completely sold 2 totally distinct characters in this series like it was nothing. Matt Letscher deserves credit too for emulating Cavanagh's Thawne-isms so well.

It was pretty great to see that stuff. I loved how much Letshcer sounded like Cavanagh while talking to the real Wells.

One thing that bugs me. They don't need evidence on Wells. They know he did it. He's not going to normal prison, if anything they would lock him up underneath Star Labs. So why not make Wells a special cup of tea. Wait for him to pass out then put him in the cell. Then ask him questions?

One thing that bugs me. They don't need evidence on Wells. They know he did it. He's not going to normal prison, if anything they would lock him up underneath Star Labs. So why not make Wells a special cup of tea. Wait for him to pass out then put him in the cell. Then ask him questions?

True, its a pretty difficult situation that they are in. But they need something. Their goal is to get Barry's dad out of prison and to do that they need prove that it was Wells that did it and not him. How they get this evidence, I do not know and it will not be easy. Perhaps they never will and Barry's dad will not get out of prison until the last season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"