The Flash The Flash Season 1, Episode 18 "All-Star Team Up" General Discussion

I hate Iris, but she's not nearly as bad as Laurel. I think one of the biggest things we can give Arrow credit for is that they realized a) what they had in Felicity and b) what they didn't have in Laurel, and correctly pivoted the romantic direction of the show towards Felicity even though it doesn't jibe with the comics. Iris isn't as bad as Laurel and Caitlyn isn't nearly as good as Felicity, but I think the dynamic is similar, and I'd hope the producers have the same realization somewhere down the line that they have a woman with moderate acting ability and real chemistry with the lead, it's just not the one they intended, so they should change the direction of the show. In fact, I find that story a lot more interesting. Who wants to see Iris flip flop for several seasons? What can we really do with that? But a Barry-Caitlyn relationship has some legs. Maybe their initial breakup puts her on the path to becoming Killer Frost. Maybe there's an interesting rehabilitation storyline afterwards. I just think it gives them so many more directions to take the story. I don't want the traditional "she finds out who he is in the finale, they date in Season 2, break up towards the end, get back together end of Season 3, and Iris has nothing to do but worry about Barry" arc. It's just boring. Arrow moved away from it. I hope Flash does too.

Funny little story but my cousin just told me that my 7 year old niece had watched this episode as well (got hooked on the show a few weeks ago) and she actually came up with this song (sung with the Spider-Man theme) to describe her frustrations with Iris.

Iris West is a Virus at Best
Putting my patience
to the ultimate test
Going out with Eddie
while flirting with Barry
Look out Flash!
it's that darn Iris West

The things kids come up with these days.lol

:lmao::applaud

I'm so glad you're all not doing that ridiculous, hyperbolic nerd thing of taking everything Iris does and completely blowing it out of proportion while making her out to be zomgz teh worst thing evahhh.

Oh, wait. :o

Fun episode, the villain was just so gloriously comic booky like The Trickster and the nerdy banter with Cisco, Ray and Felicity was enjoyable, plus the end scene with Barry and Joe bringing in Cisco and Caitlin was good progression on the overarching plot.

I'm so glad you're all not doing that ridiculous, hyperbolic nerd thing of taking everything Iris does and completely blowing it out of proportion while making her out to be zomgz teh worst thing evahhh.

Oh, wait. :o

She's a hot girl on a TV show who doesn't do exactly as males of a certain persuasion would like women to do, therefore she is the anti-whateveryoubelievein.

Although I did think having her still give Eddie the hard ultimatum despite a perfect explanation from Barry as to why she should cut him some slack, was poor writing.

IF Cisco could remember dying,
Is it possible Iris could remember Barry revealing that he was The Flash?

Although I did think having her still give Eddie the hard ultimatum despite a perfect explanation from Barry as to why she should cut him some slack, was poor writing.

On one hand, I kind of agree. On the other, from her point of view, it's one thing to take that approach with your kids, it's another to take it with your significant other.

Overall it was a fun episode, though I think the writers went a little bit overboard writing Felicity. Yeah I know she is awkward girl but I just feel like it was overplayed this episode with her little mini-rant whatever you call them.

I greatly prefer funny, awkward Felicity to Oliver-angst Felicity. As soon as they made Olicity a thing, she lost so much of her charm it's not even funny. She should stay on The Flash.

First of all, this episode gets bonus points for Felicity in the red dress!:hmr: Now then, Ray was a lot more fun than he has been on Arrow. teaming him up with Cisco certainly helped. I feel that the show really has to stop making Iris look stupid though Think about it. WHEN she finds out, half the show is going to be her chewing Barry, Joe and poor Eddie out!:loco: Also, please bring Emily Kinney back with a bigger part next time? I love the fact this show had two hot blondes this time.

I greatly prefer funny, awkward Felicity to Oliver-angst Felicity. As soon as they made Olicity a thing, she lost so much of her charm it's not even funny. She should stay on The Flash.

So do I, but I like an even feel between funny/awkward Felicity with normal Felicity. Her "fight" between Queen Bee felt a little forced with the dialogue.

I liked the episode myself. It was nice to see Felicity back and I really think she fits better here than Arrow at the moment. The Ray and Cisco bro-mance was pretty funny and I can't wait to see Cisco and Laurel bond. I liked seeing more of the cocky Flash and Joe cracking up on it. It was also nice to see Eddie get a bigger role since he's been kinda in the backseat for alot of the season.

I do still wonder how or if they're gonna explain Cisco remembering the other time line. I do like that they did that because its better then the usual "I don't remember " stuff when time is reset .

As far as the Iris stuff goes, If you like her you like her, if you don't you don't. I doubt at this point too many minds are gonna be changed either way. At the end of the day, if you like the show and like how they're handling the character or don't like it , that's all that matters.

I fully anticipated everyone would hate this episode after spending the weekend in the somber grittiness of Daredevil's world. And here,we've gone back to the Silver Age,with Bee puns and a "look up in the sky" reference. Needless to say,I'm back in my element.:hehe:

I pretty much loved this one across the board. Cisco's terror of bees. ("Why did it have to be bees?" :hehe:) His reaction to the name Atom and his co-naming Bug Eye Bandit with Ray. I also cracked up at Cisco using that humongous blaster to try and kill the bee.:funny:

Felicity looked :hubba tonight.

I could understand how Barry's feelings about Wells have begun to weigh on him.

The Atom VFX were excellent. (after being so-so in Arrow) I wish they would give him a mask rather than a clear face plate.Looks like they're going for the "Iron Man" effect yet again.

Ray inches (no pun intended.:oldrazz:) ever closer to shrinking.I don't know a whole lot about Atom in the comics,but I thought he was like this super smart guy. Did he really need all this help to pull his concept together there?

Bug Eye Bandit was pretty cool. I like her being Felicity's "Nemesis".:funny: I'm not sure I buy that Barry couldn't just "shake off" the bees at super speed,but such is the suspension of disbelief you need,since Flash is so damn powerful.

I really hope Eddie doesn't go bad simply over Iris getting ****** with him. I mean, that's like the Slade/Ollie fallout level of simplistic writing. I'm glad they gave us that scene of Barry defending Eddie,so Barry might not seem so all blamed obsessed over her now. Eddie was told Barry stuck up for him,so he really has no reason to blame him.

So Cisco is starting to remember his ill fated possible past. I'm guessing that's the emergence of his Vibe powers at work.

Nice to see Tina again. I'm hoping they can contrive a way for her and Shipp to be in at least one scene together before long. I also loved Wells reaction to her "Do you have another?" :funny:

Great episode 9 out of 10

Kinda tired of the DD worship myself. I liked it. It was definitely higher in quality than other superhero shows and it's hard not to compare season 3 of Arrow and its poorly written character arcs to the superb writing of DD but after finishing an episode I never once felt hyped about watching the next episode. Even after the finale I barely care much for what will happen next. Except for the Iron Fist connections of course. Second favorite Marvel character.
Flash almost always has me hyped for something in the future. Even Arrow has kept me interested and hopeful that there will be some sort of payoff in the end. Daredevil was just kind of there.

On another note, I kind of wish that the editing team would stop using the same old shots of Flash, whenever he's running in super speed.

I mean there's a pretty noticeable difference between his current cowl and the one that he previously had on earlier this season. Yet they still use shots from the period when Barry had on his old cowl, with some of them being consisted of the closeups that was used when he was taking on the first weather wizard (thus different cowl and no logo on his chest).

It really comes off as a sloppy and cheap editing tactic at times, something that I'd expect from a show in the 90's.

The villain is Swarm.

Lo, up in the sky.
"It's a bird"
"It's a plane"
It's Iron Man, who played Superman once.

I love Joe's reply to "When does my vote outweigh yours"
"When you become her husband" :up:

Oooh, ooh, good callback on the memory you didn't really live Cisko.

Barry my man, you did not merge two lessons you took; "running through solid objects" and " running on walls".

Why and how does Ray know?

It's really good to return to the fun red suited adventurer show after watching a whole season of the dark red adventurer show.

10/10
:awesome:

Kinda tired of the DD worship myself. I liked it. It was definitely higher in quality than other superhero shows and it's hard not to compare season 3 of Arrow and its poorly written character arcs to the superb writing of DD but after finishing an episode I never once felt hyped about watching the next episode. Even after the finale I barely care much for what will happen next. Except for the Iron Fist connections of course. Second favorite Marvel character.
Flash almost always has me hyped for something in the future. Even Arrow has kept me interested and hopeful that there will be some sort of payoff in the end. Daredevil was just kind of there.

Yeah.I compare it to MOS. (I would say DD was better written than MOS,and DD certainly had more humor than MOS,unlikely as that may seem.) But I mean, I just didn't feel emotionally connected to DD. I don't feel that I had any "fun". I don't mean that you can't be gritty and fun (I'd say TDK trilogy was successful at that) at the same time. But you need some kind of spectacle in your action scenes. MOS and (most of the time) DD felt like just punching for the sake of punching.They didn't live up to the comic book action spectacle the way Flash and Arrow have. IMO.

The villain is Swarm.

Lo, up in the sky.
"It's a bird"
"It's a plane"
It's Iron Man, who played Superman once.

I love Joe's reply to "When does my vote outweigh yours"
"When you become her husband" :up:

Oooh, ooh, good callback on the memory you didn't really live Cisko.

Barry my man, you did not merge two lessons you took; "running through solid objects" and " running on walls".

Why and how does Ray know?

It's really good to return to the fun red suited adventurer show after watching a whole season of the dark red adventurer show.

10/10
:awesome:
I loved that line too. Joe owned Eddie.And by the look on Eddie's face,he knew it. :hehe:

Oh! And I almost forgot! I loved Eddie's "Everybody knows but Iris?" :lmao: It's like he was speaking for the audience.

I hate Iris, but she's not nearly as bad as Laurel. I think one of the biggest things we can give Arrow credit for is that they realized a) what they had in Felicity and b) what they didn't have in Laurel, and correctly pivoted the romantic direction of the show towards Felicity even though it doesn't jibe with the comics. Iris isn't as bad as Laurel and Caitlyn isn't nearly as good as Felicity, but I think the dynamic is similar, and I'd hope the producers have the same realization somewhere down the line that they have a woman with moderate acting ability and real chemistry with the lead, it's just not the one they intended, so they should change the direction of the show. In fact, I find that story a lot more interesting. Who wants to see Iris flip flop for several seasons? What can we really do with that? But a Barry-Caitlyn relationship has some legs. Maybe their initial breakup puts her on the path to becoming Killer Frost. Maybe there's an interesting rehabilitation storyline afterwards. I just think it gives them so many more directions to take the story. I don't want the traditional "she finds out who he is in the finale, they date in Season 2, break up towards the end, get back together end of Season 3, and Iris has nothing to do but worry about Barry" arc. It's just boring. Arrow moved away from it. I hope Flash does too.

Olicity was the worst thing to happen to Felicity. Tonight was the first time in forever that she actually acted anything like the Felicity we used to have. I'm hoping somewhere down the line laurel and Ollie get back together. I won't have to see his love interest cry everything he does something dangerous that way. Felicity has cried almost every episode this year. Odd looking back and remembering that we had expected an Ollie with a lighter personality this year, all because of a pasta joke in the season promo.
As for Iris, your right. Flip flopping is bothersome. Put them together and be done with it. Plenty of shows have managed to keep couples together and still find other ways to keep tension up.

Personal tastes... That's all. Sounds like, You like the fun, light stuff more...

I think the biggest problem that plagues this series is the unevenness of Barry's powers. Taking just this episode - he is able to run into people's cars without them noticing, but he can't outrun bees? It's just sloppy writing.

Same problem with the Captain Cold/Heat Wave episode earlier in the season. Give the audience an actual reason why Barry was struggling with them. Captain Cold froze the ground around themselves or something, but instead some BS where Barry is forced to make their guns cross paths?

I understand one shouldn't take a comicbook show too seriously, but the writers need to be at least somewhat consistent. Or at least make plausible reasons why Barry struggles with various villains of the week rather than just slowing him down to make it a contest

Last edited:
Enjoyed it. So much more fun writers than Arrow. Felicity even says that Star City is the fun one.

Feel sorry for Eddie. No sex, girlfriend about to dump him. I'd just tell her to go and speak to Barry or her dad as it's not my secret to tell. In fact I'd have manned up in the beginning and said that I wouldn't be keeping a secret from her. That it was down to them to tell her. She's an adult and has every right to know what is going on with her family. You want to keep her safe? Biggest load of waffle ever. She doesn't even know that she might be in danger. Just tell her already. The drama is getting boring. End of rant.

I think the biggest problem that plagues this series is the unevenness of Barry's powers. Taking just this episode - he is able to run into people's cars without them noticing, but he can't outrun bees? It's just sloppy writing.

Same problem with the Captain Cold/Heat Wave episode earlier in the season. Give people an actual reason why Barry was struggling with them. Captain Cold froze the ground around themselves or something, but instead some BS where Barry is forced to make their guns cross paths?

I understand one shouldn't take a comicbook show too seriously, but the writers need to be at least somewhat consistent. Or at least make plausible reasons why Barry struggles with various villains of the week rather than just slowing him down to make it a contest

Yep. Why when trying to escape the bees didn't he just vibrate though a wall. Or create a mini tornado. Or swat them. Or pick up a fire extinguisher or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"