The Gaming Lounge: Beyond - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mean anything against their western IP acquisitions. Japan has been buying less games as well, it makes sense to increase their western sales as that's where the money is.

It's just that that's only a bandaid on a pretty big wound. Square's philosophy towards gaming has been degenerating over the years. It doesn't matter which IP's they buy if their fundamental view on how games should be doesn't change. Staying on the road they're on will just lead to even their new series going the way of FF.

What they need to do is think hard on why they're in decline, listen to critques, and fix the problems. They're simply not making games near the quality they used to be at. If they were, even with the recession, ect, sales would still be better. It's during especially hard times that we want a little escapism the most (talking to zenith's point). Maybe you can't afford to buy every game you want, but a GOOD FF would sell like hotcakes. It is/was a premiere series in a genre that let's you pay $60 to play hundreds of hours (so time wise, worth a dozen 10 hour games).

If the quality was still up there FF would still be a major property. If you look at the last several games they've made, they've gotten far more negative criticisms, and soured some of their old fan base on the series. Meanwhile other companies have ran in to steal the crown, and are willing adapt to the times to keep their spots. Square is just wondering around blind, relying on IP name power to keep them afloat, rather than putting out stellar, quality games like they used to (not that every game they've released is utter garbage, but they're definitely a shadow of their former selves).
Oh there's no doubt quality is a major factor here and that's what i kinda meant that people are looking for a bargain, how ever if there is with out a doubt the best quality there is and it is excellent, then yes some people will go out of their to buy that one game especially if it's fun and done well. But in that case they are making exception, it won't happen for every title that's coming out and people will wait it out. depending on their personal financial issues like if they have set a budget, despite what they want. it depends how much they want it and what they figure is worth it.

Regardless of what we thought of the quality, didn't FF XIII still sell relatively well? Enough so that they went and pushed out XIII-2 and soon another sequel to turn a profit.
yeah but we all know there were alot of fan boys /girls as they have stated with the latter in the press the FF series with lighting is aimed to that with the latter only bought out of habit and I'm sure they've all smartened up now with their doing the usual thing of not paying attention to thing's that they are into and are looking more deeper into what they buy now and keep them selves better informed, where before they just used to buy cause of the name that was on the box. People never used to question buying an FF title

this was just put up as we we're talking about this

Square Enix To Increase Focus On Region Specific Games. May 27, 2013 . 3:12pm

Up until now, Square Enix have been making investments in game development under the assumption that their major titles would be hits all over the world. This is not the case anymore.

Going forward, Square Enix have three strategies that they hope will turn their weakening console games business around. We outlined two of these earlier in the week—developing console-like games for phones and a new approach to how big-budget games are developed. The third strategy is “Regionality”.

Up until now, Square Enix have been making investments in game development under the assumption that their major titles would be hits all over the world. However, says soon-to-be president Yosuke Matsuda, this is in reality extremely difficult to achieve.

“We created our budgets on the basis that our games would be sold worldwide,” Matsuda shares in a financial results briefing. “We had not given much consideration of the regionality of each market, and had focused more on how to sell the major titles globally; however, titles fitting this method are limited.”

Many of the games that were recently re-examined or cancelled at Square Enix had been based in this way of thinking, Matsuda reveals.

He continues: “As the sheer amount of and diversification of game and entertainment products is increasing, I believe it is difficult to move forward on the assumption that many products can cover the tastes of the entire world, and sell across the entire world.” While globally-appealing games will be shown at this year’s E3, Matsuda believes this approach will not work for every game.

“Going forward, I think it is necessary to review the definition of ‘AAA Title,’ and we need to pursue a new type of blockbuster title, in addition to the conventional‐type of blockbusters,” Matsuda says. “Our customers’ tastes throughout the globe are as varied as the regions in which they live, and as we think about our product portfolio in various regions, we need to develop our games appropriately.”

Time will tell how this change will affect the release of Square Enix games worldwide.

source:siliconera

Last edited:
Regardless of what we thought of the quality, didn't FF XIII still sell relatively well? Enough so that they went and pushed out XIII-2 and soon another sequel to turn a profit.

In the past, when a FF was released it was usually accompanied by a lot of noise. It was plastered all over magazine covers, talked about by fans, ect. FFXIII got some noise, but after the disappointment, XIII-2, and XIV (and it's rerelase) coverage were next to nonexistant. Square may still have a chunk of the old fan base left, enough to sell over 5 million, but I doubt they're winning over any new fans. If you were to ask someone if they were looking forward to FFXIII-2, or Skyrim more, it wouldn't even be a question as to what they answer. Where in older gens it would have been FF without a doubt. When you release flop after flop, eventually even the die hards will abandon a series. Just look at something like Tony Hawk.

Myself for example. I was hyped for FFXIII. Despite having slowly fell out of love with the series, I still saw a new FF next gen title come out, and wanted it. I defended the title from people hating on it until I tried a second replay, and it finally clicked that Square's new approach just doesn't work. Now, even my excitement for Vs. XIII has went away. Will I get a nextgen FF? I'm honestly not sure, and I am/was a pretty big FF fan. I doubt I'm the only one who feels that way. Buying XIII-2 never even crossed my mind. If Vs XIII blows me away, and is more free reign I might, but in the meantime other RPG series have taken over that feeling I get when I see a new FF. Personally, the series has lost that special spot it held in previous gens.

I just put up their latest on what Square Enix's plans are above your post Fad sorry wasn't fast enough.

Last edited:
I just put up their latest on what Square Enix's plans are above your post Fad sorry wasn't fast enough.

It's alright. You only have to apologize if I end up looking like a bigger idiot than usual :woot:. Honestly, it probably looks like I'm putting more thought into the Square thing than I am. I did some stuff earlier today, and am just lazily switching back and forth from the internet (typing on here), and watching anime at the second with the rest of the holiday. Not to mention a friend brought over a few beers after I got back from decorating some graves with family....what this has to do with the conversation, I'm not sure, heh.

Anyway, I think my thoughts on Square stem from a more overall disappointment in some of the older developers, and their IP's. FF, amongst others, used to be that once in a generation type of release. Now to see a former giant stumble around to figure out why they're screwed up is sad. Doesn't give much hope that we'll be seeing another stellar FF anytime soon. Which gives me less hope to see another BoF, Suikoden, or the dozen of other great JRPG's lost to time right now.

Final Fantasy used to be the single most important game that would decide which console I would buy. VII & VIII were both my favourite games of their time. XIII I haven't even finished yet.

Final Fantasy used to be the single most important game that would decide which console I would buy. VII & VIII were both my favourite games of their time. XIII I haven't even finished yet.

FFVII is the game that really won me over to RPG's. I went from NES to Genesis, and didn't get an SNES until near the end of it's life. My friend showed me a few, tried to get me to play Chrono Trigger, ect. I remember liking Secret of Mana, but that was more for the multiplayer. The closest I got was Zelda, and Beyond the Oasis. I was very much an action, beat-em up fan.

When I got a PS, my friend convinced me to buy FFVII. I fell in love, never had I enjoyed, or been so sucked into a game, despite having been a gamer my whole life basically. After that I started playing older RPG's, and other PS RPG's. Suikoden 2, Xenogears, and BoF 3 hold good memories for me too. FFVIII became a must buy, I even bought Brave Fencer Musashi just for the demo (and ended up liking Brave Fencer Musashi too).

So yeah, FF's a pretty special series for me as well. Which is why seeing it slowly become what it has is so depressing. I hated X-2, XII was mediocre (to me), but replaying XIII was what broke me on the series. I was enjoying XIII for the most part, but felt rushed. I love to replay RPG's when I'm armed with knowledge and experience from a previous playthrough (especially the beginning, when you know how to get the good items, secret locations, and power level for early boss fights), and was looking forward to playing XIII again. I got like an hour into it, and just thought, "I can't do this", and never felt the urge to play it again. Absolutely felt indifferent to XIII-2, and even lost interest in vs XIII.

I'd be down for that. I've liked the series since the first top down game, and up to the Soul Reaver series. Even though I like Kain as a character better than Raziel, I wasn't a big fan of the one where you played Kain that came out after Soul Reaver, where you could block directionally. So seeing it revived, and updated would be nice.

Last edited:
I have a question.

I have a internet Television with 4 HDMI ports and all are in use at the moment. (One for my Blu-Ray, one for PS3, one for 360 & and one for my Desktop......plus the video/audio cables are being used for my original Xbox.) My question is, I'm looking to buy a Wii U--which I read does use HDMI, I've also been researching multi HDMI ports/cables. Do you guys recommend those, and if so, a specific model/brand?

If I decide against it---I could sacrifice the Blu-Ray and Xbox---moving those to another room---I just like having everything in my entertainment area.

Last edited:
why do you have a bluray player AND a PS3 hooked up? Seems redundant to have the former as the PS3 already functions as one. Sorry don't have much experience with hubs/switches but other solutions besides removing your BR player is to get component cables for your 360. Those output HD and you'd be saving an HDMI port in the process. Since the 360 doesn't have BR, you really don't need an HDMI cable for it.

Like Havok said, ditch the BR player. Your PS3 is the best BR player on the market, you dont need a stand alone BR player. Move that bad boy to another room.

Well it's not any more. It used to be as good as the best but my current blu-ray player is much better. Unless your blu-ray player is a lot better than PS3 though disconnect it and use your PS3.

I have an adapter that I can connect PS3, 360 & wii to with just one port although I don't use it any more as they are in different rooms. I got it on ebay quite a long time ago for the same reason as you are looking for one. If interested I can dig it out and see what make it is and try and see it if is still for sale.

Edit: Sorry, this probably won't work with with wii U actually. I read it as wii originally.

Well it's not any more. It used to be as good as the best but my current blu-ray player is much better.

Check again. I doubt your Blu Ray can do everything the PS3 can. Im sure the PS3 has every feature ur BR unit has and then some.

I have a question.

I have a internet Television with 4 HDMI ports and all are in use at the moment. (One for my Blu-Ray, one for PS3, one for 360 & and one for my Desktop......plus the video/audio cables are being used for my original Xbox.) My question is, I'm looking to buy a Wii U--which I read does use HDMI, I've also been researching multi HDMI ports/cables. Do you guys recommend those, and if so, a specific model/brand?

If I decide against it---I could sacrifice the Blu-Ray and Xbox---moving those to another room---I just like having everything in my entertainment area.
I have a much simpler solution, which is that you could always just manually switch a HDMI wire to whatever console/device that you're using. In my room, I have a cable box, a DVD player and a PS3, but only 2 HDMI cables. So I normally leave the DVD without a wire, but on the rare occasion that I decide to use it, I just take the cable I have from my cable box and use it there. Sure its a little more work, but its cheaper than buying more cables or what not.

Check again. I doubt your Blu Ray can do everything the PS3 can. Im sure the PS3 has every feature ur BR unit has and then some.
I'm talking about home cinema performance not extra features. That's the reason why most fans of high end home cinema who are also PS3 gamers have both connected.

I have a much simpler solution, which is that you could always just manually switch a HDMI wire to whatever console/device that you're using. In my room, I have a cable box, a DVD player and a PS3, but only 2 HDMI cables. So I normally leave the DVD without a wire, but on the rare occasion that I decide to use it, I just take the cable I have from my cable box and use it there. Sure its a little more work, but its cheaper than buying more cables or what not.

I'll probably go with this...and eliminate the original Xbox.

I'm talking about home cinema performance not extra features. That's the reason why most fans of high end home cinema who are also PS3 gamers have both connected.

Although I do partially agree with this.

People need to remember that the PS3 was released was released nearly 7 years ago, so the performance of Blu-Ray Players have greatly increased.

Well...I think I made it a little easier. Eliminated the Blu-Ray player and the Original Xbox---those are off to the living room.

I also tried the component cables for the 360...no. Looks awful on my TV.

Any Wii U game recommendations?

Last edited:
I have I think 7 or 8 HDMI inputs on my amp. Makes life a lot easier. Still too many wires though. Wish these new consoles had been backward compatible so I could have got rid of the old ones.

People need to remember that the PS3 was released was released nearly 7 years ago, so the performance of Blu-Ray Players have greatly increased.
Yeah, a huge difference now for the best players. Back then it was a really great blu-ray player, actually better than a lot of the top standalone ones (that were much more expensive) that I looked at. I know it made the PS3 a lot more expensive than it should have been but it made it a great value purchase for me regardless of games.

FFVII is the game that really won me over to RPG's. I went from NES to Genesis, and didn't get an SNES until near the end of it's life. My friend showed me a few, tried to get me to play Chrono Trigger, ect. I remember liking Secret of Mana, but that was more for the multiplayer. The closest I got was Zelda, and Beyond the Oasis. I was very much an action, beat-em up fan.

When I got a PS, my friend convinced me to buy FFVII. I fell in love, never had I enjoyed, or been so sucked into a game, despite having been a gamer my whole life basically. After that I started playing older RPG's, and other PS RPG's. Suikoden 2, Xenogears, and BoF 3 hold good memories for me too. FFVIII became a must buy, I even bought Brave Fencer Musashi just for the demo (and ended up liking Brave Fencer Musashi too).

So yeah, FF's a pretty special series for me as well. Which is why seeing it slowly become what it has is so depressing. I hated X-2, XII was mediocre (to me), but replaying XIII was what broke me on the series. I was enjoying XIII for the most part, but felt rushed. I love to replay RPG's when I'm armed with knowledge and experience from a previous playthrough (especially the beginning, when you know how to get the good items, secret locations, and power level for early boss fights), and was looking forward to playing XIII again. I got like an hour into it, and just thought, "I can't do this", and never felt the urge to play it again. Absolutely felt indifferent to XIII-2, and even lost interest in vs XIII.
No way I'm replaying FFXIII! This series has dropped from 1st to about 20th on my list. VII, VIII & X were my favourites. X2 I started getting bored with the series. I never finished IX after being disappointed with the start (although I hear it's good) & XII I bought at a time when I had hardly any time for games. It's a real shame as I remember thinking that having made so many prior games they would keep making them forever and how good FF games would be in 10, 20 & 30 years time. Well the tech has delivered and they are still making FF games but it didn't really work out like I was hoping. :csad:

Finished XIII once and never went back to it. Eventually lend it a friend, and due to certain circumstances, I'm not seeing that friend anymore. He still has my game. I don't miss it one bit.

Wait so your treating a friend badly cause you lent him a game you don't like???? what's wrong this picture. That poor guy. he's left to have to play that game and made to suffer twice for playing it. Unless he did something really wrong prior he probably didn't deserve that. that's just as bad as that I lost my girl friend and wife cause of Leonardo DiCaprio during the freaking Titanic movie people were talking about that made the news around world and inspired Kojima to make Raiden cause crazed teen girls and older women sort doing the same. but it's only cause of in san likin of some instade of dislike of a product here. oh well . it'll be something of one then one person did that to a friend around the world cause XIII

Last edited:
I don't think XIII has anything to so with why he and his friend aren't talking. It's irrelevant

lol well it made it interesting to hear that he hates that game that much he's willing to lose a friend for it never to see it again. "I'm done with the game," "cool keep it" but I don't want it any more doesn't matter it's yours and we're not buddies any more . this friendship's OOOOOOOOOOOOOOover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"