The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

I will go out on a limb and say that Robin is one of my three favorite titles in Infinite Frontier. Joshua Williamson is doing good things with the character, and even better things with the story and supporting characters.

So, new comics week and a bit from last week because was too busy last week and didnt even had the time to read those of last week.

Justice league
Despite Bendis, I really enjoyed the dynamic of the characters and the overall feeling.
The focus Oliver gets is fantastic and im super interested in the plot of this arc.

NIghtwing
Nightwing keeps delivering good things here.
Of course such arcs with long lost family members, sudden family members etc can easily turn out to be pretty bad, but so far im super into it.

Shazam
Starting out strong and has me interested…for issue 1 it delivered what it supposed to do.

Supergirl WOT
It is a unique series so far that im very intrigued in at the moment.
Loving the art and the world building.

Superman and the Authority
Interesting start for sure and the art certainly helps selling this.
I will follow this for the moment, what I read and saw has me interested in finding out more

The Flash
Finally caught up…yeah the “IF” run isn’t that long, but still…took me a while to catch up to it(catching up to flash, get it? XD)
Also read Flash Annual and yes, that was really cool.
Flash definitely comes into the list of following series.

Last week was pretty good, this week wasn’t different.

Action Comics
The arc so far is absolutely good and the art is really pleasing.
All the little puzzle pieces, the conflict between Atlantis and Superman is cool.

Batman Reptilian
Damn is that cool.
Visual incredible unique and stylish thanks to the fanastic Liam sharp.
The story so far really interesting and well paced.

Detective Comics
Its weird that half the Issue seems to focus on a drunken guy recalling how he found out Bruce Wayne is batman, just for him to pass out and forget that…but the Art of that part was so incredible that it wasn’t a big deal.
The art, the coloring…Dan Mora slowly rises in my ranks as best artist.
That Penguin design, so much love for it.
But Mariko Tamaki also rises in my ranks because those last few pages moved the story so much forward that it didn’t matter that it stopped for most of the issue.
And I love that we get Penguin back as being a criminal.
Him and Worth working together fits really nice.
Im so excited for where this arc goes.

Harley Quinn
By now im in love with it, the writing, the art, the pacing.
Yeah im a fan.

Infinite Frontier
Very interested but im keeping a low profile on this, not saying too much.
There is a lot going on that I first want to see explored further.
It feels very much like a prologue and that’s why I enjoy it but keep most things to myself.

Robin
So much love for this, it is one of THE strongest IF series so far.
You have a fantastic written Damian, a interesting as hell story and absolutely great support characters.
And the cherry on top is the art that has so much live in it, with coloring that is perfectly used.
The whole team has been perfectly choosen for this comic, they all benefit from each other and make it so good.

Superman Son of Kal-El
It was better than expected, which is no surprise since its Tom Taylor who writes it.
But still, it misses unique characteristics for Jon.
He doesn’t feel like his own character or in general particular interesting.
But I wont give up on it since again, we are talking Tom Taylor as writer here…the man has a Talent and if one can do what is needed to make Jon work, its him.

Teen Titans Academy
Yeah, same with Harley Quinn.
First I wasn’t really into it, but by issue 5 im finding it really likeable and enjoyable.

Wonder Woman
The same as Always, loving the arc and the art.
It keeps using various mythologies and characters very well and gives every new place a different feeling…I really like it.

So much comics and so much to enjoy.
Honestly, I don’t get anybody who says comics have become bad or so, who don’t read comics.
Look at my list here, all fantastic reads…I don’t understand how someone can not enjoy this stuff.

Icon and Rocket was a nice retelling of the original origin but I felt it was unnecessarily drawn out a little bit. I know comics are more decompressed these days and written more for the graphic novel in trade but I feel like we should've gotten farther along in the story considering we did so with damn near the same one 20 years ago.

So much comics and so much to enjoy.
Honestly, I don’t get anybody who says comics have become bad or so, who don’t read comics.
Look at my list here, all fantastic reads…I don’t understand how someone can not enjoy this stuff.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I've seen a lot of people dumping on DC in comments and other forums, still riding the fabricated mania of those layoffs from months ago, saying DC is in the dumps.

While I profess to not know what any of the sales figures have been for DC since FutureState/Infinite Frontier began, and I concede that there really is an over-abundance of Batman-related books being announced every month, there has not been a SINGLE book that I've picked up that I haven't liked. In fact, I've only had to drop books because of cost. Green Lantern was solid. Wonder Woman was solid, and I may very well jump back into that. Action Comics is great. Mister Miracle has seen a turn-around in quality. Nightwing is great. Robin is great. Flash is great. The New Frontier mini is great. Detective Comics was pretty damn good and I may pick that back up too.

I picked up Superman: Son of Kal-El on a whim, as I like Tom Taylor, but do not like John Timms, but was still surprised by how much I liked it. I like the idea that because it's Jon, everyone tries to underestimate him, allowing Jon to react in ways that Clark probably wouldn't. And if that's the thrust of the book going forward, I'll strap myself in for that ride. If the book can maintain, and at least match what Philip Kennedy Johnson is doing in Action and what Tom King's doing in Supergirl, I think it's safe to say that it's been a veeeeery long time since the Super Family was in as good a shape as they are now.

Recieved some new books this week, the first 2 hardcovers of Gotham Central and the rest of the paperbacks from Grell's Green Arrow that I was missing. Will most likely start on the Gotham Central books once I'm done with my current reading.

For todays releases I picked up issue 3 of Nice House on the Lake. This one was a lot better than the last one. Really interesting stuff.
Also bought Suicide Squad Get Joker. Wasn't gonna pick this up at first but after looking at the preview I figured why not. Alex Maleev handles the art and he can do no wrong on that front. The story itself I'm not so keen on though. It's not bad, but it's also not superinteresting.

Seeing that they got the I Am Batman comic coming out soon do you think that we'll be getting the 5g Justice League ongoing comic anytime soon as well as the other comics from that?

Seeing that they got the I Am Batman comic coming out soon do you think that we'll be getting the 5g Justice League ongoing comic anytime soon as well as the other comics from that?

I dont think so though if they do I think they should probably do them as OGNs than ongoing series.

I dont think so though if they do I think they should probably do them as OGNs than ongoing series.
That's why I think they should've done something like what Marvel did with Spider-Girl. Letting them do Jon as Superman and the new Batman and more and the main line stay the same.

That's why I think they should've done something like what Marvel did with Spider-Girl. Letting them do Jon as Superman and the new Batman and more and the main line stay the same.

DC has missed so many of those opportunities it isnt even funny lol.

I'm still surprised they havent aged up Aquamans daughter yet.

DC has missed so many of those opportunities it isnt even funny lol.

I'm still surprised they havent aged up Aquamans daughter yet.

Dont Jinx it, who knows, dont say stuff like this on the internet...someone at DC will find this and think its a great idea.

Anyway, Comics week...

Batman
Ah i sometimes cant believe that we are pretty much still in the prelude to Fear state.
Its what? 10 issues or what of building towards it and im still super interested in it.
Love how Dangerous Scarecrow feels, this untouchable mastermind that is 4 steps ahead of everyone.
Im loving the new characters and Ghost-Maker and Harleys chemistry is so much fun.
Cant wait to see where this goes when Fear State starts, im having high hopes about it.

DC Horror Presents: The Conjuring
Its still a neat little series that i enjoy very much.
Well written and the Art is helping the whole feeling of it.

Justice League
Felt this time a bit too goofy for my taste and Bendis feels like he is all over the place with Power levels.
But we got more Dinah/Oliver stuff and im liking the size of Naomis role in this.
So thats good.

Justice League infinity
Ah the Nostalgia is still so strong and its well written.
But i wont lie, that cover art, i would love to see a Justice League series in that style.

Suicide Squad
Im getting really into this arc and with that tease for next issue, man i cant wait for the next issue.

Suicide Squad: Get Joker
A good start with a neat combination of team.
Its not always that you see someone getting a jump on Waller, interesting direction they go there.
Im curious about where this goes.
The writing and Art has me definitly wanting more.

The Swamp Thing
Its the same as usual, its not doing a lot of bad things but also not really stuff that shocks you or changes the landscape of Comics.
It is a series where i go "Oh cool, a new issue...neat" but im not sitting on the edge of my seat reading it or waiting for it.

Overall a good week again.
And like i said before, how can you not enjoy what DC is doing?
Sure they could always do better, a Green Arrow/Black Canary series drawn by otto schmidt for example XD ,but all in all im having a ton of fun with what DC does currently.
Its been a while since i subscribed to so many series of comics.

Yeah Benis JL went downhill fast for me after the initial arc. Best thing about it is the BC/GA scenes. Also why introduce a long lost brother to Lois Lane? She don't need that.

If anyone's interested in reading public domain Golden/Silver Age comics for free online, this website is a fantastic resource (completely above board, compiled and maintained by enthisiasts, no login or subscription required to read);

Comic Book Plus - Free And Legal Public Domain Books

"We are the original and still the premier site to read and download Golden and Silver Age comic books. Plus, we also hold a large and growing selection of comic strips and pulp fiction.

The even better news is that all the content is FREE and LEGAL.

This is a historically significant archive, that has taken a great many people thousands of hours to create and we are ever vigilant to ensure that no content breaches copyright or trademark laws."

Their archive is huge :up:

Just got done with the first 10 or so issues of Gotham Central, and yeah, this is some good stuff.
Just finished the second book, so up to issue 22. Anyone read this stuff? I'm really really liking it.

Decided I didn't like my back anymore when I went to Eternal Con yesterday and picked up the first two volumes of the JSA omnibuses. I couldn't pass up paying 175 for both while still sealed in shrink wrap. Also found a copy of Green Lantern: Will World hardcover as well so I had to pick that up. Now I just hope to get to these books before 2025.

So they chose to make Tim bi. Ok, waiting to see how this turns out. I still think DC is missing out by not doing this angle with Wonder Woman and sticking with it.

So they chose to make Tim bi. Ok, waiting to see how this turns out. I still think DC is missing out by not doing this angle with Wonder Woman and sticking with it.

A big :sleepy::whatever: from my part. Would be great if writers had any other tricks to their sleeve. Either its to get any sort of mainstream news regarding comics (holy this and that Batman) or the People making the Titans TV show wanted a bisexual Tim.

A big :sleepy::whatever: from my part. Would be great if writers had any other tricks to their sleeve. Either its to get any sort of mainstream news regarding comics (this and that Batman) or the People making the Titans TV show wanted a bisexual Tim.
Agreed. I'm not on board with this given his history but it's whatever at this point. I know the age and time we're in plus since they aren't really doing anything with him, Conner, Cassie, & Bart anymore and just skipped completely over them I'm just guessing this is something because they don't know what to do with him.

Its exactly it. They dont really know what to do with the character. If this somehow gives the title healthy sales and they keep the book ongoing(yes, reveal is in that Batman anthology book, havent gotten the issue yet) for like 5 years and dont reboot it, I will say "Good move there on this DC! I was wrong". Most likely Robin will be cancelled the next time Warner/AT&T/Discovery decides to cut away some DC books.

Last edited:
Its exactly it. They dont really know what to do with the character. If this somehow gives the title healthy sales and they keep the book ongoing for like 5 years and dont reboot it, I will say "Good move there on this DC! I was wrong". Most likely Robin will be cancelled the next time Warner/AT&T/Discovery decides to cut away some DC books.
Really what should've happened as I have said before if you were going to have a new Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman & Flash it should've been Conner, Tim, Cassie & Bart. You could've had Superman retire to raise & train John out of the public spotlight (if Bendis didn't age him up), Tim take over for Bruce (for one reason or another), Cassie take up the role of Wonder Woman (also would've been the prefect reason to bring back the Superman & Wonder Woman title) and Bart as the Flash. If you wanted to follow John's training you have the Super Sons and later when he is ready Legion of Super-Heroes and then you go on from there. I just can't understand why they skipped over the whole YJ/TT crew when they really should've been taking over.

Last edited:
There is a lot of stuff DC could do better. I think a lot of things are very scattered right now. and their "big name" writers doing deals with Comixology and Substack will probably mess around stuff even more.

The odd part about the news regarding Tim is that they’ve made his character synonymous with his relationship with Stephanie for quite a long time now. Their romance has, to a degree, defined them and has actually been well done for the most part. They’re so different and play off one another very well.

This seems left field for a character who has been monogamous for decades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"