Iron Man 3 The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
New tv spot out showing the extremis soldiers.

[Yt]NTTI6MryM9I[/MEDIA]

Last edited:
i just watched the alternate ending to IM2, which i believe was the same in the storybook..
so i guess the ending of IM3 is not know yet...

PowerCosmic wrote:

Extremis Soldiers from new TV-spot!

CkFiYzo.png

It looks like Rhodey shot the Extremis soldiers, if those are actually supposed to be bullet holes in their chest. They're just shrugging the bullets off like nothing. :wow:

And is that soldier Asian? He looks like it to me in that quick shot, I could be wrong. Maybe Mandarin gets some soldiers from China.

The guy in the latest video looks like Mitchell Yee, who is credited on IMDB as "Mandarin Soldier." i.e., an Extremis Soldier.

creepy zombie soldiers = grounded realism

ten magical rings = too silly for a comic book movie

The ending the movie went with is WAY better than this, in my opinion.

This kind of plays out as the stereotypical "damsel in distress" ending, which wouldn't have worked for this movie or for a character like Pepper, in my opinion. Also, the dialogue was pretty terrible here.

And finally, not gonna lie: The ending they went with worked a lot better plot-wise as well. The focus needed to be on Iron Man and War Machine working as a team, which was Iron Man 2's major selling point. It was just plain cool to watch the two of them doing their thing together, especially against Whiplash in his armor.

In both endings Pepper is a damsel in distress. In both versions Iron Man and War Machine work together. Except in this ending they avoid just doing a weak version of Iron Monger again.

But this way we don't get an end fight at all. And Pepper is barely a D-I-D in the theatrical cut. I can handle a very short saving her from an explosion scenario much easier than what we get in the alternate cut. For heaven's sake, one of the things I loved most about the Iron Man films is that they were basically anti-Raimi's Spider-man movies. D-I-D's happened all the time in that series.

In both endings Pepper is a damsel in distress. In both versions Iron Man and War Machine work together. Except in this ending they avoid just doing a weak version of Iron Monger again.

I disagree. Sure, Tony does end up saving Pepper both times. In this "alternate" ending though, it's definitely more of the bad guy capturing the damsel, having a Snidely Whiplash (lol) moment. "Haha Iron Man, I have your girlfriend!"

In the version we got in the movie, it's just Pepper being caught in the middle of what's going on, rather than the villain actively capturing her. It's a completely different thing.

Also, the movie's ending definitely had more focus on Tony and War Machine being partners. As brief as the scene was with "Whiplash Monger," it's still much cooler than this alternate ending. I liked that the duo's final blow to the villain was a callback to what happened when Tony and Rhodey were fighting each other. The dialogue was better too.

Oh, and I personally prefer that the "Ex-Wife" was a dud. You lose that joke in the alternate version.

But this way we don't get an end fight at all. And Pepper is barely a D-I-D in the theatrical cut. I can handle a very short saving her from an explosion scenario much easier than what we get in the alternate cut. For heaven's sake, one of the things I loved most about the Iron Man films is that they were basically anti-Raimi's Spider-man movies. D-I-D's happened all the time in that series.
Pepper was a Damsel in Distress in both Iron Man films so far. Instead of being caught in the explosions Whiplash setup, he was there in person. I really didn't need an end fight, because the best bit was the Kill box scene. After that, there is no real fight. Whiplash just stands there waiting to die. He doesn't even try to avoid the blast. It just feels tacked on, like we needed to have them confront him, but they didn't know how.

And I never liked the saving Pepper thing, mainly because it reminds me of the Happy Tree Friends episode about a superhero flying around with a human being at break neck speeds, and what should result from that.

I disagree. Sure, Tony does end up saving Pepper both times. In this "alternate" ending though, it's definitely more of the bad guy capturing the damsel, having a Snidely Whiplash (lol) moment. "Haha Iron Man, I have your girlfriend!"

In the version we got in the movie, it's just Pepper being caught in the middle of what's going on, rather than the villain actively capturing her. It's a completely different thing.
It is a question of semantics. In both scenrios Pepper is in trouble and only Tony can save her.

Also, the movie's ending definitely had more focus on Tony and War Machine being partners. As brief as the scene was with "Whiplash Monger," it's still much cooler than this alternate ending. I liked that the duo's final blow to the villain was a callback to what happened when Tony and Rhodey were fighting each other. The dialogue was better too.
Which I find to be horrible writing. It is on the nose. Worse, it requires Whiplash to act like a fool. He has to stand there and not react while they have a conversation and then attack.

Also, I actually like the scenario where Tony kind of puts his and Pepper's life in Rhody's hands. That shows more trust and teamwork.

Oh, and I personally prefer that the "Ex-Wife" was a dud. You lose that joke in the alternate version.
I like the line, but I'd gladly lose it for a satisfying conclusion.

Last edited:
I want the Extremis Soldiers to be a threat, but like I said earlier I don't want them to be "Thor" tier. What I mean by that is I dont want them to be clearly overpowering Iron Man and crushing his suit.

Going toe to toe with him is fine, so I'd like for them to be around Loki level or a little lower.

I want the Extremis Soldiers to be a threat, but like I said earlier I don't want them to be "Thor" tier. What I mean by that is I dont want them to be clearly overpowering Iron Man and crushing his suit.

Going toe to toe with him is fine, so I'd like for them to be around Loki level or a little lower.

I don't think that matters. Thor's going to get a power upgraded in Thor TDW. Plus Thor wasn't fighting to kill in the avergers. He was trying to put him down but underestimated Ironman's abilities.

I'm not down with limiting one fans superheros villian to satisfy another fan. It's like I don't want them to limit Kurse to make Hulk fighting thor in the avengers look better.

International TV Spot from a few days ago is now online in HQ!

[YT]lWwhuQnCDiU[/YT]

Perhaps they will just have to bulk up Thor's power as well. :woot:

I don't think that matters. Thor's going to get a power upgraded in Thor TDW. Plus Thor wasn't fighting to kill in the avergers. He was trying to put him down but underestimated Ironman's abilities.

I'm not down with limiting one fans superheros villian to satisfy another fan. It's like I don't want them to limit Kurse to make Hulk fighting thor in the avengers look better.

exactly. In terms of brawling, and punch to punch, I would hope that thor won't stand a chance, and that it will be assumed, that in just a slugfest, Kurse could easily take on hulk as well

exactly. In terms of brawling, and punch to punch, I would hope that thor won't stand a chance, and that it will be assumed, that in just a slugfest, Kurse could easily take on hulk as well

Unless we get World War Hulk power upgrade for the Hulk. Then not even the hole MCU combined could take on the Hulk. :o

Pepper was a Damsel in Distress in both Iron Man films so far. Instead of being caught in the explosions Whiplash setup, he was there in person. I really didn't need an end fight, because the best bit was the Kill box scene. After that, there is no real fight. Whiplash just stands there waiting to die. He doesn't even try to avoid the blast. It just feels tacked on, like we needed to have them confront him, but they didn't know how.

The thing is, Pepper being in danger to me =/= the type of damsel in distress that I was talking about. In both films her being in danger and need of rescuing is incidental. More than that, it comes about as a matter of her own actions being pro-actively taken in regards to the whole conflict of the story. She's helping out and that as well and simply being in Tony's orbit puts her in danger. That's a helluva big difference from just being bait used by the villain to attract the hero which is what we got many, many times in all the Raimi Spider-man movies.

And I never liked the saving Pepper thing, mainly because it reminds me of the Happy Tree Friends episode about a superhero flying around with a human being at break neck speeds, and what should result from that.

I've no clue what that is so no comment on that. However, her surviving that is just a small thing and falls into the same category as Tony surviving the fall in the Mark 1 armor after his escape in the first film. I can overlook small stuff like that as long as they don't do it too much. These films are fantasy after all and sometimes the emotion you get with a scene trumps whether it actually would work in real life. Both of those scenes from the 2 films meet that criteria, IMO.

creepy zombie soldiers = grounded realism

ten magical rings = too silly for a comic book movie

It's not a question of being "silly." It's simply science fiction vs. fantasy. The Extremis Soldiers are *not* "creepy zombie soldiers" --- they're guys whose DNA is augmented and altered by nanotech implants to give them superhuman powers. That's a helluva lot different in tone and WSOD (Willing Suspension of Disbelief) than finding the corpse of an alien dragon in a crashed spaceship and scoring a handful of nifty rings that shoot fireballs and lightning bolts at people.

It's not a question of being "silly." It's simply science fiction vs. fantasy. The Extremis Soldiers are *not* "creepy zombie soldiers" --- they're guys whose DNA is augmented and altered by nanotech implants to give them superhuman powers. That's a helluva lot different in tone and WSOD (Willing Suspension of Disbelief) than finding the corpse of an alien dragon in a crashed spaceship and scoring a handful of nifty rings that shoot fireballs and lightning bolts at people.

It wasn't a space dragon and a handful of nifty rings that shoot fire bolts. It was reptilian biological anomaly unearthed in Siberia whose gauntlet manipulated specific chemical bonds found on Earth giving it the ability to control natural elements.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I just want to see more fantastic elements worked into modern superhero stories. I don't care how they get there.

PowerCosmic wrote:

Extremis Soldiers from new TV-spot!

CkFiYzo.png

The guy in the latest video looks like Mitchell Yee, who is credited on IMDB as "Mandarin Soldier." i.e., an Extremis Soldier.

The Extremis Soldiers looks Sick! I like that Red glowing! :twisted:

It wasn't a space dragon and a handful of nifty rings that shoot fire bolts. It was reptilian biological anomaly unearthed in Siberia whose gauntlet manipulated specific chemical bonds found on Earth giving it the ability to control natural elements.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I just want to see more fantastic elements worked into modern superhero stories. I don't care how they get there.

I do, too --- in the right place. Yes, Iron Man will fight fantastic (in the "fantasy" sense of the word, not just the "AWESOME!!!" sense of the word) villains, especially in Avengers, but his solo franchise (movie AND comic) has been more grounded, nuts-n-bolts sci-fi rather than the more over-the-top stuff. Superpowers based more on tech and sci-fi fits IM stories far better than aliens, deities, and magic-users.

Has anyone seen this? It seems like a huge stretch. You can't copyright a physical pose.
Just one month before Disney plans to launch “Iron Man 3,” its biggest motion picture since “The Avengers,” the studio is accused of using someone else’s copyrighted image for one of the “Iron Man 3” movie posters, featuring Robert Downey Jr.

In a cease and desist letter sent today to Disney and Marvel Entertainment, Horizon Comics claims that one of the movie’s promotional posters copied an image right out of a page from their 2001 comic book series “Radix”.

Iron-Man-3_Radix-posters-300x222.jpg
I mean, it's not even the same pose.

isn't Iron Man's iconic landing pose one hand and one knee down the other arm out and head up? If anything I'd say that Radix took from Iron Man, espcially if he lands like that in the comics or any older animation lol. People always looking for some money out there.

I guess being on one hand and one knee is copy-written?

I mean, that's more of a Spider-Man pose than anything else...

It's not often that I'll willingly side with the big corporation over the independent artist, but this is one of those cases.

Meanwhile, in other news...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"