Iron Man 3 The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I'm not trying to deny you guys the the right to be upset, I'm aware that something like this can be disappointing. I get it and the way you feel is fine, even if I don't share your opinion.

But when you start going on a semi-psychotic rant saying things like "**** you Marvel/Disney, my family and I trusted you and you LIED TO US! I'm taking my ball and going home" then I'm gonna have a problem. It was a completely unwarranted reaction and I'd bet a large sum of money that it's also false. He's gonna see the movie just like we all are.

Another Know it all mind reader!!! And I thought Marvel had a shortage of telepaths.......Semi-psychotic huh??? As opposed to you having a "problem" with someone who is just voicing their opinion? Sounds like you're the psychotic one since I never spoke for my family and I stated my anger at Marvel. Why would that bother a normal non-psychotc person. Are you one of those "everyone must agree with me" people? If so, you've got problems. And you're right. I may see it some day on blu-ray.

While my biggest issue is with the way the Mandarin is being handled, there are many other things that upset me with this movie.

For example, why on earth to they feel the need to have Tony [BLACKOUT]blow up EVERY ARMOR HE HAS, CREATING A QUASI FIREWORKS DISPLAY THAT HE AND PEPPER EMBRACE UNDER IN THE CLIMAX OF THE FILM? WHAT'S THE PURPOSE?[/BLACKOUT]

Stupid sh...., ahem, stuff like that it why I'm pissed and have a REALLY hard time wanting to see this movie. now.

Maybe it really is "all in the execution" like people are saying, but I have a very hard time believing that.

Last edited:
Even if you may not agree with the directions the plot takes, the action sequences look pretty damn awesome, no?

Those who are having heart palpitations because of the alleged modification need to chill out.
Seriously.
It is just a character: when terms such as "mockery" enter the discourse, the need for taking a break from the Hype becomes paramount.

As a long-time (since 1974) Marvelphile, I have a sincere question I'd like to ask the ones who are shocked and appalled at Mandarin's portrayal in this movie:

.....where the **** have you alleged Mandarin "fans" been hiding these past five decades??? :huh:

Seriously. NOBODY has been a goddamn fan of that Fu Manchu stereotype *ever.* If they were, I would've seen Mandarin cosplays at all the comic-cons. I would've seen Mandarin on Top 10 lists of favorite Marvel villains anywhere on the interwebs. I would've seen Mandarin action figures and Heroclix and trading cards and other merch, and I would've seen them selling like hotcakes because he's, you know, so damn popular in Marvel fandom. (insert: :whatever:)

Mandarin has *never* been a popular villain. Ever. Iron Man's rogues gallery is notoriously lame amongst fandom; Hulk is the only one with a worse villain lineup than Tony Stark. Mandarin has been Stark's *most common* adversary, but to grant him the status of "nemesis" is to elevate him to the likes of The Joker, Lex Luthor, Green Goblin, Dr. Doom, Red Skull, Magneto or Sinestro, and nothing could be farther from the truth. Hell, even the cartoons that have tried to portray Mandarin have wound up not knowing a decent way to portray him, and they've all wound up making him look even more ridiculous than he already is in the comics.

And all the :waa:over "zomg Mandarin isn't Chinese....they're just sucking up to the Chinese markets...." Good god. :whatever: Favs already established that Mandarin --- if and when he ever showed up --- wouldn't be Chinese. Since 2008, Ten Rings has been yer basic Islamofascism 101 jihadists, based in Afghanistan. We knew damn well from IM1 that Mandarin was implicitly a Middle Eastern terrorist instead of a funky Chinese Fu Manchu.

Look, if any of you whiners want to make "The Mandarin Twist" (sounds like it could be pretty good, with some vodka and rum) a dealbreaker and go ahead and boycott, feel free. But quit acting like they've ruined some "cherished" Marvel icon....they haven't. Instead, they took a highly offensive, moronic and outdated Asian stereotype that Stan Lee would rather just sweep under the rug and they turned him into a topical character that makes the Iron Man series more contemporary and relevant. If you can't see that and accept it, then you really never understood what they're trying to do with the MCU in the first place.

Just had to get that off *my* chest.

This is the best post I have read all night.

Hey, I'm not trying to deny you guys the the right to be upset, I'm aware that something like this can be disappointing. I get it and the way you feel is fine, even if I don't share your opinion.

But when you start going on a semi-psychotic rant saying things like "**** you Marvel/Disney, my family and I trusted you and you LIED TO US! I'm taking my ball and going home" then I'm gonna have a problem. It was a completely unwarranted reaction and I'd bet a large sum of money that it's also false. He's gonna see the movie just like we all are.

I didn't say all of that, but I assume you weren't regarding me.

Another Know it all mind reader!!! And I thought Marvel had a shortage of telepaths.......Semi-psychotic huh??? As opposed to you having a "problem" with someone who is just voicing their opinion? Sounds like you're the psychotic one since I never spoke for my family and I stated my anger at Marvel. Why would that bother a normal non-psychotc person. Are you one of those "everyone must agree with me" people? If so, you've got problems. And you're right. I may see it some day on blu-ray.

I don't have a problem with you voicing your opinion. Nor did I ever state or imply that it was my way or the highway, a really misguided assumption of yours since you don't actually know what my opinion of this situation is. If you don't like what Marvel did with the character then fine, more power to you. I have a problem with you acting like it was a personal affront to you.

Director's lie all the time, brah. JJ Abrams is infamous for it, does that mean you aren't going to see the new Star Trek film either? (And don't come back with a snide response like "Feh, Star Dreck, I wasn't going to see it anyway, that's beneath me")

Marvel/Disney made changes to a C-List comic book villain. They did not order a plague upon your house.

Last edited:
For example, why on earth to they feel the need to have Tony [BLACKOUT]blow up EVERY ARMOR HE HAS, CREATING A QUASI FIREWORKS DISPLAY THAT HE AND PEPPER EMBRACE UNDER IN THE CLIMAX OF THE FILM? WHAT'S THE PURPOSE?[/BLACKOUT]

Stupid sh...., ahem, stuff like that it why I'm pissed and have a REALLY hard time wanting to see this movie. now.
I don't know, it seems to me that it'll be a cathartic moment for the character, and perhaps it'll tie into his emotional arc in the film (which seems to be built around the idea that he has trouble letting certain things go)

Although I guess you're right that it makes more sense to assume that it's pointless and stupid and to TYPE IN ALL CAPS :cwink:

No, I wasn't. You've been perfectly civil and I respect your opinion.

Thanks, and the same to you. I'm just wondering where this puts Mandarin in the long run. [BLACKOUT]Will Kingsley's version just be a facade, whereas Killian is the real "Mandarin", like he supposedly calls himself in the movie? And if that's true, then if Pepper kills Killian that's the end of the Mandarin altogether. Or will Kingsley's version pop up with actual working rings eventually?[/BLACKOUT]

How is anyone even upset at the "twist"? Black has said from day one they're not gonna do the comics Mandy. Have you all been living under a rock?

So who's excited for Iron Man 3? :p

Me, me, me!!!

But it's DIFFERENT from the comics. HOW. DARE. THEY.

lol :woot: ..maybe people will eventually come around to the idea that this isn't the comics, it's movies inspired from and taking elements from the comics, things shall change and rightfully so.

As a long-time (since 1974) Marvelphile, I have a sincere question I'd like to ask the ones who are shocked and appalled at Mandarin's portrayal in this movie:

.....where the **** have you alleged Mandarin "fans" been hiding these past five decades??? :huh:

Seriously. NOBODY has been a goddamn fan of that Fu Manchu stereotype *ever.* If they were, I would've seen Mandarin cosplays at all the comic-cons. I would've seen Mandarin on Top 10 lists of favorite Marvel villains anywhere on the interwebs. I would've seen Mandarin action figures and Heroclix and trading cards and other merch, and I would've seen them selling like hotcakes because he's, you know, so damn popular in Marvel fandom. (insert: :whatever:)

Mandarin has *never* been a popular villain. Ever. Iron Man's rogues gallery is notoriously lame amongst fandom; Hulk is the only one with a worse villain lineup than Tony Stark. Mandarin has been Stark's *most common* adversary, but to grant him the status of "nemesis" is to elevate him to the likes of The Joker, Lex Luthor, Green Goblin, Dr. Doom, Red Skull, Magneto or Sinestro, and nothing could be farther from the truth. Hell, even the cartoons that have tried to portray Mandarin have wound up not knowing a decent way to portray him, and they've all wound up making him look even more ridiculous than he already is in the comics.

And all the :waa:over "zomg Mandarin isn't Chinese....they're just sucking up to the Chinese markets...." Good god. :whatever: Favs already established that Mandarin --- if and when he ever showed up --- wouldn't be Chinese. Since 2008, Ten Rings has been yer basic Islamofascism 101 jihadists, based in Afghanistan. We knew damn well from IM1 that Mandarin was implicitly a Middle Eastern terrorist instead of a funky Chinese Fu Manchu.

Look, if any of you whiners want to make "The Mandarin Twist" (sounds like it could be pretty good, with some vodka and rum) a dealbreaker and go ahead and boycott, feel free. But quit acting like they've ruined some "cherished" Marvel icon....they haven't. Instead, they took a highly offensive, moronic and outdated Asian stereotype that Stan Lee would rather just sweep under the rug and they turned him into a topical character that makes the Iron Man series more contemporary and relevant. If you can't see that and accept it, then you really never understood what they're trying to do with the MCU in the first place.

Sam my friend, you win today's internet for oddly being the most level headed here. :yay:

sam I think that's the first time you've gone on a rant and I've agreed with it 100% :hehe:

Agreed. And congrats on being double quoted, you can win no.2 on favorite posts this week Chewy hehe.

You've had a serious case of nerdrage today for someone who's been a member for as long you have but still haven't gotten to 10 posts. Take a breather and try to understand that the MCU is not the comics, which means they won't follow one another exactly.

Last response from me to a post on this particular thread.

Where have you been??? Like it or not. Popular or unpopular, the Mandarin is Iron Man's Arch nemesis. What books have you been reading since 1974? Mandarin is responsible for most of the afflictions in Stark's life. I have numerous issues and might I add most of IM's anniversary issues feature him. But you'd know that. You'd also know that such honors are reserved to an archenemy. Long story short: Loki was done perfectly. Red Skull as well. The Leader was hinted at. Why should IM's ONLY real recurring enemy (at least as a real threat) be shunned! That's all. I was venting MY opinion. This is what these boards are for. But you and others come here and attack and claim i'm the psycho when you guys can't even mind your own business. What's it to you if I like Mandarin or not? Do you care about the hero or are you just swinging the way the wind blows? I'm all for change but as I said before, and NO ONE can deny this, they purposefully lied. Not to get their jollies. Not to me specifically. They did it to have their cake and eat it too. Get fans aboard but cater to the overly sensitive GA. I simply stated, that for me, and my family, (who were raised on Marvel by my mother who was a collector as well), these characters and stories are cherished. I don't like them being interpreted in manners that they were not meant to be and certainly not interpreting Stark in a "lethal weaponesque" suck fest.

Also, who speaks for the Middle eastern people who have been portrayed as the villains in this "contemporary and relevant" IM series??? hmm??

Its ok though. I leave you to your cherished IM 3 and hope you enjoy the heck out of it!

BTW- So the MCU is trying to modernize Marvel concepts. Strange that their biggest success is so closely attuned to the original comic. Go figure huh?

I don't know, it seems to me that it'll be a cathartic moment for the character, and perhaps it'll tie into his emotional arc in the film (which seems to be built around the idea that he has trouble letting certain things go)

Although I guess you're right that it makes more sense to assume that it's pointless and stupid and to TYPE IN ALL CAPS :cwink:

I was angry. typing in caps helps display that. sue me.

While my biggest issue is with the way the Mandarin is being handled, there are many other things that upset me with this movie.

Maybe it really is "all in the execution" like people are saying, but I have a very hard time believing that.

You have a hard time believing a movie might execute a twist better when you haven't even seen the damn thing. Really now. This faux outrage is hilarious.

also you gotta think like 80% of the audience isn't going to be familiar with who the Madarin is in the comic book history of Iron Man, because I would assume the majority of movie-goers aren't familiar with the Iron Man books.

So the 'twist' of building, building, and building Mandy over the course of the film then revealing something other than they've been thinking for an hour and a half is probably going to go over very well. Which can also be seen in the numerous praise filled reviews reporting that it was executed well and very unexpected.

I gotta say I'm a bit upset that I've kept up here and confirmed that twist for myself, because even though I always suspected something was going to be up in the Mandy-Killian relationship, I would have liked to be surprised. Granted I still don't know the exact execution of the 'twist' but I'm excited to see it and how it's done in the films context.

Thanks, and the same to you. I'm just wondering where this puts Mandarin in the long run. [BLACKOUT]Will Kingsley's version just be a facade, whereas Killian is the real "Mandarin", like he supposedly calls himself in the movie? And if that's true, then if Pepper kills Killian that's the end of the Mandarin altogether. Or will Kingsley's version pop up with actual working rings eventually?[/BLACKOUT]

Well if the article is true then
not only is Guy Pierce the actual Mandarin, but Kingsley's character is a drunken bafoon. So it sounds like even if Kingsley's "Mandarin" were to get his hands on an actual alien ring of power he wouldn't be cunning enough to actually use it.

BTW- So the MCU is trying to modernize Marvel concepts. Strange that their biggest success is so closely attuned to the original comic. Go figure huh?

It's not though. Were you this mad when Ant-Man wasn't a founding member of the Avengers. Because THATS NOT HOW IT HAPPEND IN THE COMICS :whatever:

You have a hard time believing a movie might execute a twist better when you haven't even seen the damn thing. Really now. This faux outrage is hilarious.
Funny how people get outraged over a movie they haven't even seen yet. People are so spoiled/entitled now with how early reviews and spoilers get posted before a film is released and then having a place to vent.

Last edited:
There's more things wrong with this movie than the Mandarin thing, but that's definitely the biggest.

Have you even seen the movie? What a silly statement if you haven't. I am so sick of people online tearing into a movie before they even see it. Film is a visual medium. It has to be seen to be judged.

I was angry. typing in caps helps display that. sue me.
It seems a little goofy to get worked up over a broad description of a scene you don't know the context of from a movie you haven't seen.

But hey, whatever floats your boat :)

cherokeesam, I agree with every word you said.

Only reason I'm not sure if I'll love the twist is because of how much I love Ben Kingsley.

Well if the article is true then
not only is Guy Pierce the actual Mandarin, but Kingsley's character is a drunken bafoon. So it sounds like even if Kingsley's "Mandarin" were to get his hands on an actual alien ring of power he wouldn't be cunning enough to actually use it.

And that is why I can't get behind this twist. The possibilities of seeing a Mandarin ring battle are gone, not to mention the character got screwed. I wish the twist was done in a way to still leave the door open for the Mandarin. The Red Skull wasn't as cool as he could have been in CA, but at least they left the door open for his character by sending him somewhere into the cosmos for a later reappearance. Though I guess the Mandarin technically didn't exist in the MCU to get screwed in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"