The Dark Knight The James Gordon / Gary Oldman Thread

I love Gary and his Gordon is so great, it's really nice to finally see an actor who looks like Jim.

Noone who came before looked like him, not on the 60's show, not in the movies, until now.

Too bad they didn't make Alfred look just like he does in the comics like they did with Gordon.

I love Gary and his Gordon is so great, it's really nice to finally see an actor who looks like Jim.

Noone who came before looked like him, not on the 60's show, not in the movies, until now.

Morg, that's the second time in a week that you've said something I agree with.

I'm frightened.

So very, very frightened. ;)

The Batman-Gordon relationship is one of my fav things about this new series cause Batman wise ive only seen the first four movies (tis it) and never realised he was such an important character, now he's one of my favs :yay:

The Batman-Gordon relationship is one of my fav things about this new series cause Batman wise ive only seen the first four movies (tis it) and never realised he was such an important character, now he's one of my favs :yay:

You should read Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One". You'd dig it. :yay:

I love Gary Oldman as Jim Gordon. It's such a simple character to write and yet it took them this long to finally get a Gordon on to the screen that even remotely resembled the Jim Gordon from the comics.

That's probably the most repeated bunch of thoughts ever for this take on the character, but it's late, I'm in that so tired I'm wired mood, and I saw that this thread had only 2 pages, so thought I'd bring it some love.

But I agree; Gordon is a great character that I'd love to see developed more fully on the big screen. And if they ever bring Essen into the franchise, I hope it's Laura Dern (does she even act anymore?).

This year, Laura Dern got rave-reviews for what is reported to be a towering performance in David Lynch's three-hour epic "INLAND EMPIRE".

And yes, she would be an inspired choice for Sarah Essen. I'd say her or Linda Fiorentino.

That's probably the most repeated bunch of thoughts ever for this take on the character, but it's late, I'm in that so tired I'm wired mood, and I saw that this thread had only 2 pages, so thought I'd bring it some love.

It's much appreciated! COME ON PEOPLE, SHOW THE LOVE!

This year, Laura Dern got rave-reviews for what is reported to be a towering performance in David Lynch's three-hour epic "INLAND EMPIRE".

And yes, she would be an inspired choice for Sarah Essen. I'd say her or Linda Fiorentino.

Thanks for the info, and I'm glad she's still working. I could see Fiorentino as Essen as well, but Dern is still my top choice.

Yeah, I've loved Gary Oldman since Air Force one. I can't wait to see more of him in TDK, being the tough badass that he is - See the "sides" thread, and seeing him be compassionate with his son - see the "sides" thread.

Julianne Moore would be my choice for Essen. Loved her ever since Boogie Nights. Though I would think Laura Dern would be a great choice also.

What more do you want him to say, really? Give speeches about justice? These movies have enough of that as it is.

He had a touching scene with young Bruce (not in the comics, I know, but I thought it was a welcome change..and proof Nolan is interested in this relationship).

A perfect meeting scene with pre-Batman Bruce ("Now we're two..", just classic, and indicative of Gordon's heroic nature, chasing who he thought to be an armed maniac up to the rooftop).

Great scenes with Flass in the car and Loeb in the police station illustrating his disillusion with corruption and interest in Batman's methods/desire to "work outside the box."

All of the scenes of him on his own, however brief - interrogating Crane, finding Falcone, learning about the water contamination.

The scene behind his house; "I think you're trying to help..."

The fact that he essentially brought down Ra's (whether or not you agree with his driving the Batmobile, the important of those actions are undeniable in the context of the movie).

And of course, the final scene, which is just about as iconic and cool as you can get in a Batman movie. Something people had been dying for yet are still now unsatisfied.

Their relationship was more than developed for an origin movie that had to fit in a half dozen other plot elements at the same time.

After the almost non-existent relationship in the Burton/Schumacher movies (Before anybody asks, Bats & Gordon directly interacted/spoke roughly less than 10 times during the course of all 4 movies - and that included such memorable moments as "Bats giving Gordon the thumbs up from the Batwing", "Gordon giving Bats the lowdown about Freeze on his Batmobile mini-computer", and "Gordon walking in on Bats' and Chase's rooftop lovefest."), I was tickled pink to get the relationship we got in Begins. Nothing is fleshed-out enough for fans; we always want more. Because we're spoiled on ongoing comics and cartoons that allow for dozens and dozens of moments for every character to shine. Movies don't have that luxury, all we can hope is that the sequel delivers more of what we want.

Well said! I've loved Gary since I first saw The Professional/Leon and Dracula and I thought he was THE Gordon!

Here's what I want at the end of the movie:

The doorbell rings at Wayne Manor at around 10am. Alfred answers the door and barely flinches when he sees the newly appointed Commisioner Gordon. Gordon asks if he can speat to Mr. Wayne and Alfred informs him he's unavailable. Off camera Bruce says "I'm available Alfred, merely somewhat incapacitated."

Gorden enters and sees Bruce in a bathrobe looking like crap and his left arm in a sling. Bruce leads him to the drawing room saying You're a policeman, aren't you? I've seen you on television somewhere."

Gordon replies: "I'm the top cop now and I've seen you on television too." They sit and both men are silent for a few seconds.

Bruce finally says: "Have I done something wrong?". Gordon chuckles and replies.

"I don't know what billionaires do but chances are... I apologize for my intrusion. I don't want this to be an "official" visit I... need to tell you some things and I'm afraid I have to ask that our conversation remains confidential."

Bruce: "Good, that means I can't incriminate myself, right?" Bruce smiles and Gordon frowns.

"It's about the Batman, I'm sure you know who he is."

Bruce hesitates: "Yes..."

"He uses a lot of 'gadgets'... real high-tech stuff and the FBI and CIA are crawling around everywhere trying to discern how much money this guy has and what corporation is developing his ever-changing arsenal. Wayne-Tech has had government contracts in the past that no doubt have attracted their attention."

"Your'e saying someone thinks someone at Wayne-Tech is involved with someone who's providing the Batman these 'gadgets'" Wayne asks sounding amused. Gordon shuffles in his chair.

"Yes. But that's not why I'm here. Most of whatever technology Batman uses seems to destroy itself after being used. Over the last few months GPD has recovered a couple of items that have been analyized."

"Good!" Bruce exclaims. "If the FBI or CIA has anything that links Wayne-Tech to the Batman then we can find out who he is, and I can throw one hell of a party." Gordon is irritated and sneers at Bruce.

"The FBI & CIA ever never seen these items GPD collected."

Bruce looks stunned and asks: "Who anayized them?" Gordon hesitates.

"An old friend who does consultant work for the federal government. He's a techno-genius-geek and a very strange man, but I trust him."

Bruce feigns impatience and says: "Ok, and he found what?" Gordon stands as he almost shouts:

"That this "stuff" is more advanced than our army has, that any foreign army has and whoever possesses this technology is going to have the full force of the United States government trying that person for treason. And he said his best guess was that it was developed by S.T.A.R. labs and they may as well be a government agency."

Bruce shrugs. "Did your friend mention Wayne-Tech?" Gordon sighs.

"Yes. He said Wayne-Tech doesn't really have the stomach for the true theoretical science necessary to develop thiese gizmos, that 'they're penny- grabbing-practical'."

"Well..." Bruce says somewhat insulted, "I like money more than I'm willing to admit."

Gordon stares Bruce down. "I've warned you. And Mr. Wayne I thought this conversation would be more appropriate here. Should we meet again in the future you would be wise to remember I'm not an idiot."

Gordon walks out as Alfred barely is able to open the front door ahead of him. Bruce and Alfred exchange looks as Bruce takes something out of his pocket and walks toward the drawing room and says "Lucious".

LF: "What's up Bruce?"

BW: "How does Gordon know our guy?"

LF: "Oh boy," (Lucious groans) "you want the long version this time?"

BW: "Just this once" (sarcastic)

LF: "High School friends. Gordon may be one of maybe four or five people our friend talks to in any given year".

"Great. Gordon-"

"Do I get to tell you the long version "just once" or not?"

BW: (hesitates then sighs) "Sorry."

LF: "Gordon was given the fried guidance-controlled "BATARANG" 3 months ago, and I obviously knew it wasn't completely destroyed and I was able to track it. Gordon kept it and the next two that were recovered at his home. When they were moved again I knew about it and asked our friend to call Gordon."

BW: "Why? You said you weren't worried about the government retrieving anything."

LF: "I'm not. But I think it was illuminating to see what Gordon did. And both Alfred and I are little concerned that the people who help you and protect you or, God forbid, care about you are just screwed."

BW: "Alfred get in here! Lucious, Gordon knows. How is that good for him?"

Alfred (entering): "Perhaps he doesn't like being perceived as an idiot by a friend?"

LF: "I wish I'd said that. Bruce, you are a hero. Look, I don't know what Gordon knows and you don't either. But you need to allow yourself hope that your friends won't become your enemies. You have far too many enemies that are very dangerous and have nothing but hatred for you."

BW: (harumph) "Is that it?"

LF: "No, our friend built a computer network for Gordon's niece, and the only thing more impressive than the system is what she's doing with it. She's 13."

BW: "I'm going back to bed now Lucious."

LF: "Alfred, our hero has a brain afterall."

Alfred: "We live in hope Lucious. Bye."

Bruce leaves the room as he mutters: "Heroes are the best targets."

I always liked the fact that it seems Gordon knows that Bruce and Batman are the same person but never has said anything or even hinted at it. As Bruce once said in the comics "Gordon's too good of a detective to have NOT figured it out by now".

I always liked the fact that it seems Gordon knows that Bruce and Batman are the same person but never has said anything or even hinted at it. As Bruce once said in the comics "Gordon's too good of a detective to have NOT figured it out by now".

Yeah. That's sort of how Lucius Fox was in Batman Begins, too. Although that's more a case of having to be completely brain dead to NOT figure it out.

Yeah. That's sort of how Lucius Fox was in Batman Begins, too. Although that's more a case of having to be completely brain dead to NOT figure it out.

That's the only problem I have with Tim Drake's becoming Robin. If Gordon and (in the movies) Fox hint around knowing who he is then why is it so phenomenal that Tim figured out Bruce and Dick's secret? I LOVE the fact that Tim wanted Robin and worked for it and I LOVE that in HUSH even Bruce admits that someday Tim will be the world's greatest detective but I just don't get the significance of him figuring out the Bruce/Batman scenario.

That's the only problem I have with Tim Drake's becoming Robin. If Gordon and (in the movies) Fox hint around knowing who he is then why is it so phenomenal that Tim figured out Bruce and Dick's secret? I LOVE the fact that Tim wanted Robin and worked for it and I LOVE that in HUSH even Bruce admits that someday Tim will be the world's greatest detective but I just don't get the significance of him figuring out the Bruce/Batman scenario.

I think it probably has to do with the fact that Tim was young when he figured it out and did so without any formal real training (like a police detective would have). I can see how a teenager having that kind of deductive ability would impress Bruce. Tim Drake rules.

But I really like the two Hush quotes that have been mentioned in the past few posts, and I love the ending of Year One (my all-time favorite comic storyline) where Gordon says he's practically blind without his glasses. Personally, I always read that to mean he's telling Bruce that he'll keep the secret safe, but other people see it as Gordon actually not being able to see his face. I can understand either reading of it, though.

I always figured that Gordon saw Batman was Bruce Wayne way back in Year One. I thought that "I can't see anything without my glasses" line was just baloney to cover up the fact that Gordon had just seen Batman without his mask on. If he "doesn't know", then he's under no obligation to arrest him.

I always figured that Gordon saw Batman was Bruce Wayne way back in Year One. I thought that "I can't see anything without my glasses" line was just baloney to cover up the fact that Gordon had just seen Batman without his mask on. If he "doesn't know", then he's under no obligation to arrest him.

Agree 100%. I didn't even think it was up for debate.

Yeah that would make sense....I would love to hear a line similar to this or even have it hinted at more and more that Gordon knows or do you guys think Nolan will go with Gordon thinking Dent is Batman?

Yeah that would make sense....I would love to hear a line similar to this or even have it hinted at more and more that Gordon knows or do you guys think Nolan will go with Gordon thinking Dent is Batman?

I'd be up for Batman setting up Gordon to think it was Dent, but it doesn't seem "organic" in that this movie seems to be about fighting a war on all fronts. Unfortunately there's not enough time in any trilogy for that.

I do wish that Superhero movies would add special scenes in the DVD release that could be filmed cheaply that would give true fanboys greater scope and yet not provide information that the masses even need to know.

Either that or I wish all Batman films could be 4 hours long. :woot:

I'd be up for Batman setting up Gordon to think it was Dent, but it doesn't seem "organic" in that this movie seems to be about fighting a war on all fronts. Unfortunately there's not enough time in any trilogy for that.

I do wish that Superhero movies would add special scenes in the DVD release that could be filmed cheaply that would give true fanboys greater scope and yet not provide information that the masses even need to know.

Either that or I wish all Batman films could be 4 hours long. :woot:

Yeah the more I think about it the more I think if they wanted Gordon to believe it is Dent then they needed to introduce Dent in BB although it could still be a possibility. Oh and all batfans wish Batfilms were 4 hours long :woot:.

gordon.jpg

Hey this has just gave me an idea. We didn't see Gordon smoke in the other film what if in this film because everything goes wrong Gordon starts smoking out of stress and after that because of all the freaks we always see hi mwith a pipe or cigarratte.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"