The Dark Knight The James Gordon / Gary Oldman Thread

Yeah no ****?!?! isn't there already a thread for this?

Merge...

The movies should follow the format of Year One, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory.

Year One introduces the Batman character, and the relationship between Batman and Gordon.

The Long Halloween introduces the start of "Freaks" taking over Gotham Crime. Introduces Dent. Ruins Dent. Causes a strain in Batman and Gordons relationship.

Dark Victory continues the Dent storyline, has Batman and Gordon eventuallly get over any differences Harvey's transformation made, and...introduces the character of Dick Grayson.

To me it works very well, and should get support from the comic fan world.

I liked that... until you mentioned Dick Grayson...

The movies should follow the format of Year One, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory.

Year One introduces the Batman character, and the relationship between Batman and Gordon.

The Long Halloween introduces the start of "Freaks" taking over Gotham Crime. Introduces Dent. Ruins Dent. Causes a strain in Batman and Gordons relationship.

Dark Victory continues the Dent storyline, has Batman and Gordon eventuallly get over any differences Harvey's transformation made, and...introduces the character of Dick Grayson.

To me it works very well, and should get support from the comic fan world.

Makes perfect sense. I'd also suggest Catwoman for movie3 as long as Grayson's part is very brief.

I liked that... until you mentioned Dick Grayson...

I don't see any problem adding Dick into the series, this doesn't necessarily mean that he will become Robin in Nolan's world but they can add him as Bruce's adopted son or ward or however they want to do it.

I agree. I think they should do this in the next film. Have batman call gordon lieutenant and Gordon is alway saying to him call me Jim. And by the end of the film he calls him Jim symbolizes there relatioship is growing from just alies.

I agree.

More of Gordon/Oldman the better. Even cooler if Rachel by Maggie is just a cameo.

A new interview in The Telegraph:-

smoldman23.jpg

In a drowsy London hotel room, from behind a bushy policeman's moustache, a quiet, reserved Gary Oldman is considering his reputation as - his words - 'Crazy-Scary-Gary'.

Gary Oldman
Gary Oldman: 'I don’t have a publicist. I don’t go to premieres. I don’t go to parties. I just have dinner at home every night with my kids'

That is: Gary Oldman, brilliant portrayer of skinheads, punks, vampires, assassins, psycho-cops, psycho-pimps, psycho-psychos.

The actor fundamental to the success and magic of Mike Leigh's Meantime, Stephen Frears's Prick Up Your Ears, Alex Cox's Sid and Nancy, Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula, Oliver Stone's JFK, Luc Besson's Leon, Tony Scott's True Romance and Alan Clarke's The Firm.

The writer-director whose gritty south-east London upbringing formed the backdrop to 1997's Nil by Mouth: a semi-autobiographical tale of alcoholism, drugs, criminality, wife-beating and the misery man hands on to man.

The 'bad boy' who, almost as soon as his career started, escaped Britain for high times in New York and Los Angeles.
advertisement

The thrice-married, thrice-divorced drinker who went into rehab in 1995 and hasn't, he says, touched a drop of alcohol since.

'I don't know how it happened,' Oldman says of his pigeonholing as a natural born gangster. He speaks slowly. Very slowly. In clipped sentences. 'I really don't. I was this... psycho guy. I just got into these parts. Then it... it... contaminates people. And they think that you're Crazy-Scary-Gary. The closest character to me,' he adds with ponderous gravity, 'is Jim Gordon.'

Jim Gordon is the police lieutenant in the Batman stories. Oldman played the veteran cop in Chris Nolan's hugely successful franchise reboot Batman Begins (2005). He is reprising the role in The Dark Knight, in which Lt Gordon teams up with Batman (Christian Bale) to take on the Joker (Heath Ledger). It is currently being filmed in the UK, which is what has briefly brought Oldman from his home in LA back to England.

The portrayal of kindly Lt Gordon also explains the droopy, salt'n'pepper moustache he is sporting today, if not the orange trainers the 49-year-old is wearing at the bottom of his sloppy-joe ensemble (dark suit jacket, grey cartoon T-shirt, jeans).

I tell Oldman that the first word that comes to mind when you think of Jim Gordon is 'avuncular'. 'Yeah,' he replies with a light shrug. 'Got a good sense of right and wrong. Family man. Just a regular geezer.'

Is this something that has come to Oldman as he approaches his 50th birthday, a good quarter of a century since he started out as an angry young man of British film?

Another shrug. Another reply so low and quiet my tape-recorder will barely pick it up.

'I've always been that way,' says Gary Oldman.

This is certainly not something I ever expected to hear about Gary Oldman. I can't believe he's so quiet and reserved. It just goes to show you how great of an actor the man truly is.

The thing i really liked about begins was the way Gordon was part of the story, not just a fat bloke in a trilby like B89. Oldman was perfect, he was gordon from Year 1

Awesome stuff. And some people doubted Oldman could play Gordon...

I guess that's why Gary was so good at Gordon, 'cause he was more like him than any of his other roles. Good read.

You know i really just hope they have beefed up his part..he plays the part so well.

:cool:

Awesome stuff. And some people doubted Oldman could play Gordon...

Really? I wasn't around much during the Begins hype, so I wouldn't know. I think he's a fantastic actor and he truly brought Gordon to the screen in an exceptional way. :up::up:

I'd like to see a scene based on the Jokers arrest at the end of NML where Gordon shoots him in the knee. Its just so emotional yet oddly amusing

He's just brilliant as Gordon. Hands down the best choice for the role.

I don't think I ever seen him in a role that I didn't like. His Lee Harvey Oswald in JFK was excellent.

Gary Oldman is simply one of the best actors :yay:

His Jim Gordon looks & acts like he's coming straight out of the comics. And besides, if he hadn't been Gordon, he could've played Maroni or Joker too, because he's different in every role.

Gary Oldman is simply one of the best actors :yay:

His Jim Gordon looks & acts like he's coming straight out of the comics. And besides, he could've played Maroni or Joker... too, because he's different in every role.

Oldman is a chamelon. He could play any role

Gary "there's nothing wise in what you do" Oldman is Gordon, I agree.

This is the one role I want seriously beefing up in TDK, he's part of the trio, he needs his own separate Joker investigation. He had a few nice moments in Begins but alot of it was there to say what the audience is thinking. The what the ****, who is this guy moments. He's the main guy that's been shaken out of apathy by Batman so he should be more proactive instead of reactive now. And this is Gary, I hate seeing him in small roles, no matter how good he makes them.

He's the main guy I'd like to chat to on set if I had the chance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"