The Joker Thread - Part 1

You shoot me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize!

Now we’re quoting different movies. Awesome.

Is it possible that Jake could be filming a scene for the sequel?? There's always the chance that he's not Joker, playing someone else, or not involved with the movie at all aside from some meetings with Reeves early on in production.

I can't really imagine Joker physically showing up in the first movie. Maaaybe some laughing in the background of Arkham Asylum, but I'm not really expecting much of anything aside from a throwaway mention.

Last edited:
The Gyllenhaal thing was never substantiated outside of Collider, from what I can recall. So it's possible it was never true to begin with.

I thought other sources popped up with the same info?

I can picture Joker showing up. I’m 50/50 on it. I don’t think Riddler, Penguin and Catwoman are the only rogues.

I can picture Joker showing up. I’m 50/50 on it. I don’t think Riddler, Penguin and Catwoman are the only rogues.
I was more taking into account the fatigue some people have been feeling with the character lately. Plus, if they do decide to go with a completely new iteration again, Phoenix will probably still be burned into people's minds so that's also a factor to be considered.

It would be better to save him for a sequel that teases him and/or sets him up for the third film.

I remember John Campea really going to bat with the Gyllenhaal thing, saying he was Reeves' first choice. Steve Weintraub then did a follow-up video where he said Reeves had taken a few meetings but otherwise there was no defined frontrunner.

I may be mistaken, but I really don't remember any other big news outlets pushing this rumor.

I don’t think Reeves will care about that since the Joker movie wasn’t even released when he finished his script. They were probably releasing the very first teaser trailer for Joker by the time Matt was dotting the i’s and crossing his t’s.

They were in pre-production when Joker came out and shocked everybody. I doubt he would have cut out a scene with his own Joker just because there was another successful version out in theaters. It would have been different if he was writing his script when that happened.

The Gyllenhaal thing was never substantiated outside of Collider, from what I can recall. So it's possible it was never true to begin with.

There were actually others out there that had heard it. Hell, I'm not a scooper and I heard the Gyllenhaal rumor about a week before it broke out to the masses. Obviously that doesn't guarantee anything, but the rumor didn't just come from nowhere.

Shauner, I remember you claiming how they had cast a lot of the same choices you had at one point for these characters. I feel like you might be a sort of "prognosticator". I know you're only human, but you might be onto something with your Joker choices.

If they cast somebody famous, I feel like it'll be just that. Somebody famous, no one who's just there for star power like Depp or DiCaprio. I'm thinking more Gyllenhaal, Driver, Dafoe, etc.

I like PROGNOSTICATOR!

Well this is my ego talkin, but the few Batman roles that I didn’t get right...it had everything to do with having tunnel vision when it came to age or race. Not thinking they would step outside of the white tradition for Gordon. Not thinking they would go with a rougher mid 50’s Alfred (and honestly thinking Serkis was too busy with Venom to do anything more than a Arkham cameo). Jesse Plemons was my choice for Penguin only because I figured they were looking at Jonah Hill’s age group.

Time to brag @AndyTrevino lol..

My DCEU Alfred picks were between Jeremy Irons and Malcolm McDowell. I knew in 2012 that Joaquin would destroy as Joker, but couldn’t see him in a Batman movie. I knew Margot Robbie would be Harley Quinn after Wolf of Wall Street in 2013. I knew Leto would play a Bowie esque Joker once I saw him in Dallas Buyers Club the same year (and with the news that Snyder was going for a veteran Frank Miller Batman). Only...Leto’s version ended up a little different in the end.

My intuition told me Jake Gyllenhaal would be a perfect Joker after 2014’s Nightcrawler, but it wouldn’t be for the DCEU (i also repped Jake HARD for Batman when I thought he was replacing Affleck). Dano for Riddler? Knew that in 2007. Kravitz for Catwoman? A no brainer, anyone else would have been disappointing. Lena Headey was my choice for 40 year old Catwoman in the DCEU (still think this is wise if Batfleck gets his own HBO series. Theron, Jolie & Eva Green were fancast to death so I always ignored them). Pattinson for Batman? I called it before it was even a rumour. People close to me thought I was mental.

My spidey senses tell me Christopher Abbott for Two-Face. Jake Gyllenhaal or if he’s younger, Caleb Landry Jones for Joker. Matt Reeves doesn’t make the casting choices until he asks me what I think is best for his movie.

Sick to your stomach yet? :) oh and Dick Grayson is either white or Asian in this universe. Two-Face and Joker will not be black. Richard Jenkins, John Gallagher Jr, Kodi Smit-McPhee and Jason Clarke will all be in this trilogy.

Last edited:
I like PROGNOSTICATOR!

Well this is my ego talkin, but the few Batman roles that I didn’t get right...it had everything to do with having tunnel vision when it came to age or race. Not thinking they would step outside of the white tradition for Gordon. Not thinking they would go with a rougher mid 50’s Alfred (and honestly thinking Serkis was too busy with Venom to do anything more than a Arkham cameo). Jesse Plemons was my choice for Penguin only because I figured they were looking at Jonah Hill’s age group.

Time to brag @AndyTrevino lol..

My DCEU Alfred picks were between Jeremy Irons and Malcolm McDowell. I knew in 2012 that Joaquin would destroy as Joker, but couldn’t see him in a Batman movie. I knew Margot Robbie would be Harley Quinn after Wolf of Wall Street in 2013. I knew Leto would play a Bowie esque Joker once I saw him in Dallas Buyers Club the same year (and with the news that Snyder was going for a veteran Frank Miller Batman). Only...Leto’s version ended up a little different in the end.

My intuition told me Jake Gyllenhaal would be a perfect Joker after 2014’s Nightcrawler, but it wouldn’t be for the DCEU (i also repped Jake HARD for Batman when I thought he was replacing Affleck). Dano for Riddler? Knew that in 2007. Kravitz for Catwoman? A no brainer, anyone else would have been disappointing. Lena Headey was my choice for 40 year old Catwoman in the DCEU (still think this is wise if Batfleck gets his own HBO series). Pattinson for Batman? I called it before it was even a rumour. People close to me thought I was mental.

My spidey senses tell me Christopher Abbott for Two-Face. Jake Gyllenhaal or if he’s younger, Caleb Landry Jones for Joker. Matt Reeves doesn’t make the casting choices until he asks me what I think is best for his movie.

Sick to your stomach yet? :) oh and Dick Grayson is either white or Asian in this universe. Two-Face and Joker will not be black. Richard Jenkins, John Gallagher Jr, Kodi Smit-McPhee and Jason Clarke will all be in this trilogy.

My choice for a forty-something Catwoman would be Charlize Theron, who I've fancasted for ages and who could still totally pull it off after seeing her in Fury Road, Atomic Blonde, and Old Guard. Woman still looks great and can kick some ass.

I'd be cool with either Gyllenhaal or CLJ for Joker (well, best as I can tell from what admittedly little I've seen of CLJ, though I'd still be curious about George MacKay).

Any ideas who Jenkins/McPhee/Clarke might play?

If I had to cast Clarke as anyone in the Batman world (and not just strictly limiting it to who will likely be appearing in Reeves' Batman series), it'd probably be Thomas Wayne. I think Clarke would play a great Flashpoint Thomas Wayne.

Yup. I have four options for Jason Clarke. The main one is Thomas Wayne. The other three are Hugo Strange (if the character is in his 50’s and was a young psychiatrist in the 90’s who knew Martha Arkham). The other is Lincoln March (if they go with my ‘brother of Thomas Wayne/Uncle to Bruce’ theory). The last one is Harvey Dent if Reeves chooses to age him up Tommy Lee Jones style. Which is my least favourite.

Richard Jenkins for an older Hugo Strange or a brief appearance as Ventriloquist. John Gallagher Jr and MCPhee will be playing obscure C list villains.

I always find Clarke bland tbh, so a thankless role like Thomas Wayne seems up his alley.

Only if those two actually get sizable roles. A bit of an insult otherwise.
Not an insult at all. Even if it’s just for a photo shoot it would be worth it. Doing a favour, maybe gettin paid to play Batman’s parents? Easy life.

That wasn’t my idea. That’s a popular fancast since Reeves got the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"