The Joker Thread - Part 1

Based on?
Mark Hamill, Troy Baker, Cesar Romero, Heath Ledger, Anthony Ingruber, Larry Storch, Joaquin Phoenix (kinda), Richard Epcar, and Michael Emerson just off the top of my head.

Even the deeper Joker voices tend to kind of fluctuate in pitch.

Very interesting track record there, Shauner!

So going off of your "Spidey Senses" as you put it, who would you say is more likely for Joker then; Jake Gyllenhaal or Caleb Landry Jones?
Oh the **** storm i’ve caused if none of these guys get cast and we’re stuck with friggin Rami Malek :funny:

I think it has to do with age and origin according to how Matt Reeves wants to bring Joker in. And whether he cast him in 2019 or not. If he’s 100 percent in The Batman, chances are it’s Jake. That means he wasn’t reactionary when it comes to Joaquin. So he’s gonna grab an A-lister at that time, who can play this role for 3 films. Hannibal Lecter in Arkham Asylum. The surprise in the theater will be tremendous because we all know who he is. And that creates more hype.

If he’s not in this movie, it’s Caleb. Now Reeves is reacting to Joaquin’s success and doing what he can to introduce a new Joker in his sequel by creating a version that will never be compared to JP. Age, aesthetic, whatever. A red hood origin is now on the table. You ease into this mysterious figure and help the audience discover him. He grows with Pattinson as the trilogy comes to a close, and now you’ve made a new A List star.

As a character actor, CLJ will not be payed Gyllenhaal money so that’s a bonus if you’re looking to grab him for multiple films.

Jake will one day play this role. Either in Reeves’ universe, the next reboot 10 years down the line or whatever. And if he doesn’t, he’ll join DaFoe in that what if scenario.

Oh the **** storm i’ve caused if none of these guys get cast and we’re stuck with friggin Rami Malek :funny:

I think it has to do with age and origin according to how Matt Reeves wants to bring Joker in. And whether he cast him in 2019 or not. If he’s 100 percent in The Batman, chances are it’s Jake. That means he wasn’t reactionary when it comes to Joaquin. So he’s gonna grab an A-lister at that time, who can play this role for 3 films. Hannibal Lecter in Arkham Asylum. The surprise in the theater will be tremendous because we all know who he is. And that creates more hype.

If he’s not in this movie, it’s Caleb. Now Reeves is reacting to Joaquin’s success and doing what he can to introduce a new Joker in his sequel by creating a version that will never be compared to JP. Age, aesthetic, whatever. A red hood origin is now on the table. You ease into this mysterious figure and help the audience discover him. He grows with Pattinson as the trilogy comes to a close, and now you’ve made a new A List star.

As a character actor, CLJ will not be payed Gyllenhaal money so that’s a bonus if you’re looking to grab him for multiple films.

Jake will one day play this role. Either in Reeves’ universe, the next reboot 10 years down the line or whatever. And if he doesn’t, he’ll join DaFoe in that what if scenario.

I don't think Rami Malek is ever gonna get the gig for this iteration. :funny: That said, if Jake ever does land the role, I'll be a very happy camper.

I will say Caleb is definitely one of the potential candidates that I see as being most likely to land the part. He's kinda got that same energy as Zoe Kravitz as Selina where he's "such an obvious pick, but in the best way possible." And he's got a very similar background of acting gigs in indie filmmaking as Rob and Paul Dano, as well as being a somewhat familiar face in previous big movies (Get Out, X-Men: First Class).

Personally I still wouldn't rule out actors like Harry Melling, Andrew Garfield or George MacKay for the part either. But Caleb definitely makes a ton of sense for Reeves-verse Joker.

Actually, here's another question for you, Shauner- if Caleb or Jake were to land the Joker gig, what sort of Joker do you personally think they'd each be?

I feel like Jake's Joker would be very manipulative, charismatic, vain, and short-tempered like his characters in Nightcrawler and FFH.

Caleb's Joker would probably be super creepy and sadistic. Maybe even mood-swinging but also might have a sense of flamboyance about him.

So was Art, I gather. I wouldn't say most of the Jokers you listed have high-pitched voices.
I'd say compared to a conventional male voice they're pretty high-pitched, especially against Batman and Superman for instance.

I don't think Rami Malek is ever gonna get the gig for this iteration. :funny: That said, if Jake ever does land the role, I'll be a very happy camper.

I will say Caleb is definitely one of the potential candidates that I see as being most likely to land the part. He's kinda got that same energy as Zoe Kravitz as Selina where he's "such an obvious pick, but in the best way possible." And he's got a very similar background of acting gigs in indie filmmaking as Rob and Paul Dano, as well as being a somewhat familiar face in previous big movies (Get Out, X-Men: First Class).

Personally I still wouldn't rule out actors like Harry Melling, Andrew Garfield or George MacKay for the part either. But Caleb definitely makes a ton of sense for Reeves-verse Joker.

Actually, here's another question for you, Shauner- if Caleb or Jake were to land the Joker gig, what sort of Joker do you personally think they'd each be?
Wait...Zoe and Caleb are both in X-Men: First Class!? I think I remember which character he was now. Wow.

Melling is my new pick for Mad Hatter. I’m so down for Garfield but I’d bet money on him not getting the role. I don’t see it happening. MacKay is my third choice. Definitely has a shot. But it doesn’t feel as much of a possibility as Caleb. Not sure why. Just a feeling..

I want the new Joker to throw darts at a framed Rami Mercury photo.

Jake would deliver a full laugh. While Caleb, I can see being more giggly. Both flamboyant and snakey. Jake would fit the manipulative Hannibal Lecter vibe. Caleb would be downright creepy and more unpredictable in his movements. And he’s more likely to transform in prosthetics. I can see them keeping Jake’s features intact like the recent manips.

Wait...Zoe and Caleb are both in X-Men: First Class!? I think I remember which character he was now. Wow.

Melling is my new pick for Mad Hatter. I’m so down for Garfield but I’d bet money on him not getting the role. I don’t see it happening. MacKay is my third choice. Definitely has a shot. But it doesn’t feel as much of a possibility as Caleb. Not sure why. Just a feeling..

Jake would deliver a full laugh. While Caleb, I can see being more giggly. Both flamboyant and snakey. Jake would fit the manipulative Hannibal Lecter vibe. Caleb would be downright creepy and more unpredictable in his movements. And he’s more likely to transform in prosthetics. I can see them keeping Jake’s features intact like the recent manips.
Nooooooo don't give Caleb prosthetics, unless it's just superficial skin damage. Nothing that'll hide his natural resemblance too much.

CLJ would be the type to hide under Gordon’s bed. Jake would be the type to crossdress in Arkham Asylum and be the leader of the institution.

Yeah, Caleb was Banshee! Crazy that he was unceremoniously killed offscreen in-between films.

I know I've said this in the past for other actors, but I'm going to say it again for Melling; Mad Hatter would be a waste of the man's talents. He's an interesting character, but I don't ever see Reeves or any other filmmaker in the relatively near future making the most out of him for a live action Batman film. He'd be "Scarecrow in Nolan trilogy" at best, which isn't a bad thing- but I'd rather see Melling take on Joker personally if given the chance.

Unfortunately I kind of agree with you about Garfield. He'd be great, but IDK how likely he'd ever be for the job. And I do see what you mean about MacKay versus either Jake or Caleb.

Yeah, I can very easily see Caleb Landry Jones playing more of a Greg Capullo type Joker, especially after re-reading Batman: Endgame earlier this week. IMO at least he has a very similar head shape to Capullo's Joker. Capullo draws a Joker that's a bit less long and thin-faced than most other comic artists IMO. Personally I'd only want minimal prosthetics for Caleb as Joker. Maybe something to indicate acid burns or something on his face a little, but that's just me.

Yeah, Caleb was Banshee! Crazy that he was unceremoniously killed offscreen in-between films.

I know I've said this in the past for other actors, but I'm going to say it again for Melling; Mad Hatter would be a waste of the man's talents. He's an interesting character, but I don't ever see Reeves or any other filmmaker in the relatively near future making the most out of him for a live action Batman film. He'd be "Scarecrow in Nolan trilogy" at best, which isn't a bad thing- but I'd rather see Melling take on Joker personally if given the chance.

Unfortunately I kind of agree with you about Garfield. He'd be great, but IDK how likely he'd ever be for the job. And I do see what you mean about MacKay versus either Jake or Caleb.

Yeah, I can very easily see Caleb Landry Jones playing more of a Greg Capullo type Joker, especially after re-reading Batman: Endgame earlier this week. IMO at least he has a very similar head shape to Capullo's Joker. Capullo draws a Joker that's a bit less long and thin-faced than most other comic artists IMO. Personally I'd only want minimal prosthetics for Caleb as Joker. Maybe something to indicate acid burns or something on his face a little, but that's just me.
Caleb and Capullo's Joker both have very prominent laugh lines too (the smile "indents" on your cheeks that kinda wrinkle a bit).

The Ayer Cut of Suicide Squad may show some Capullo-esque Joker though. I mean, that deleted scene where Leto is in a tux and a part of his face is f’d up with burns. The way the hair is messy on top.

I’ll wait and see in a year when the Batman comes out. If there’s no Joker appearance, and then in 2022 we see the full performance from Jared (there’s hours of Leto footage on the cutting room floor).

yohjdq41snc41.gif

The Ayer Cut of Suicide Squad may show some Capullo-esque Joker though. I mean, that deleted scene where Leto is in a tux and a part of his face is f’d up with burns. The way the hair is messy on top.

I’ll wait and see in a year when the Batman comes out. If there’s no Joker appearance, and then in 2022 we see the full performance from Jared (there’s hours of Leto footage on the cutting room floor).
I feel like it'll just be a half measure or just scratch the surface like the rest of that movie, which gives them an opportunity to go all the way with it in Reeves' universe.

Last edited:
Speaking of casting actors, how much say does Matt Reeves actually have in this regard?

WB obviously has to sign off but we know Reeves has an unusual amount of control for a franchise movie so I don't think they'd force an actor on him. Reeves strikes me as the type who would walk if they did.

With all the David Fincher comparisons, it'd be funny if this movie suddenly went the way of Alien 3 in terms of studio meddling and just became a major **** show. :funny:

E76C4F01-2F67-4A8D-A540-4B0ED5C965B3.jpeg 36BAA25F-26E6-41CA-A3A1-2F5A5CC070CD.jpeg

Also, Alien 3 is one of the worst Alien movies for sure.

Alien
Prometheus
Aliens
Alien vs Predator
Alien: Covenant
Alien: Resurrection
Alien 3
Alien vs Predator: Requiem

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics