The Joker Thread - Part 1

If you put every one of our favourite Joker picks on Nicholson’s head for a deepfake it won’t work either.

I also would have no aversions to old Joker with young Batman. I think it's a cool dynamic.

It's one of the reasons I think a new Joaquin iteration could be great. Dafoe is also ideal but it'll never happen

I also would have no aversions to old Joker with young Batman. I think it's a cool dynamic.

It's one of the reasons I think a new Joaquin iteration could be great. Dafoe is also ideal but it'll never happen
I'm just tired of seeing that everywhere. Just get someone around Pattinson's age, maybe even slightly younger and there ya go. Let the makeup and prosthetics team do their thing and voila

I don't really have a preference one way or the other, but if they did go with someone older (obviously Dafoe won't happen let's be real) it could add a cool dynamic that there wouldn't be otherwise. I just want something new

CG video game Joker can still move however he wants, Dafoe is an old man and no matter how spry you look, you just don't have the same energy.

CG video game Joker can still move however he wants, Dafoe is an old man and no matter how spry you look, you just don't have the same energy.
He can definitely channel that same energy. Which ironically makes him a bit too obvious

Phoenix as just another Joker is exciting to me.

I don’t truly have a preference as I’m open to what Reeves wants to bring to the table, but that would just be very cool to me.

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if TheVileOne really wants this

batman_female_joker.jpg

I feel like a female Joker would be redundant when Catwoman exists. Because Batman's "relationship" to Joker is his most intense, and I think if you were to change Joker's gender, the dynamic would end up being inherently sexual. At which point, is this even the Joker?

Those aspects are already inherent.

Well-intentioned guy goes crazy after experiencing events he never deserved to go through (taken at face value, which is the case for a lot of people).

OK...so what's the problem?

..... You can have both, it definitely doesn't have to be either or. Remember the Red Hood Gang? And for this trilogy, Batman doesn't literally have to throw him over a catwalk into a giant vat of chemicals. Maybe here he's inspired by both Batman AND Gotham in general. The city starts getting crazier once a guy in a bat costume shows up, and this version of Gotham is especially bleak. Perfect opportunity for a maniac in colorful outfits to pop up and turn the whole thing upside down. In a world where Riddler is an ominous serial killer, what the hell is Joker going to be like?

I don't know what Joker is going to be like. No idea at all. So why can't Joker be a woman? It seems like if Riddler is an ominous serial killer who doesn't wear a bowler, use a cane, or have a question mark motif, then Joker would share few similarities with his comic persona as well...

Again, it takes away his edge. This is someone who's infamous for freaking out even the most ruthless criminals out there. He shouldn't feel even remotely human (characterization-wise of course). And it validates all the neckbeards who project themselves onto this mass murderer.

I don't know what Joker is going to be like. No idea at all. So why can't Joker be a woman? It seems like if Riddler is an ominous serial killer who doesn't wear a bowler, use a cane, or have a question mark motif, then Joker would share few similarities with his comic persona as well...
When I said that I was mainly coming from a characterization standpoint. If Riddler seems like much more of a threat here than usual, then why would you downgrade The Joker in comparison? Look at their status in the comics. Riddler doesn't usually inspire fear like Joker does. So when they've strengthened Riddler as a villain like this, shouldn't Joker feel like the devil?

Aside from that, yes, Riddler isn't immediately recognizable in the trailer. But we only see him killing someone; obviously he wouldn't be wearing that same getup out in public, but I'm also not counting on him wearing a business suit. And by the way, the question mark motif is there. Look at the protestors from the set photos.

However....Batman, Catwoman, and Penguin all look arguably more comic book-y and more stylized than, say, Nolan's movies. Very Bermejo-esque. So I'm not expecting a super radical Joker in a frilly clown suit or anything like that. I feel like he'll be permawhite somehow yet a bit uglier than usual.

Some of us have a hunch as to how Joker could be interpreted in this universe. Three (Five?) words: BigBatTheory. Drops. Arkham.

Riddler has a change of clothes, but you’re suggesting a change in Joker’s gender. That’s totally different. There’s just no point in changing Joker’s gender. I could understand if it were a D list villain that no one really has a lot interest in to try and strengthen their appeal. Like The Terrible Trio could be led by a woman. I’d love to see that. Joker is already such a vastly developed character. Making him female adds nothing to that. If Joker took inspiration from some female characters or women in life, I could get on board with that.

A rivalry between a man and woman is just as inherently sexual as between a man and a man. I’d make the case that most rivalries between men in films always has a good dose of homoeroticism.

and again, the suggestion isn’t to make The Joker a woman (well maybe for VileOne it is), but to have a woman play The Joker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"