The Joker Thread - Part 1

That’s what I mean. He can still be colourful and be inspired by classic monster villains. Inspiration doesn’t mean xerox copy.

That’s what I mean. He can still be colourful and be inspired by classic monster villains. Inspiration doesn’t mean xerox copy.
I know, it's just that I get the sense that Reeves will lean super SUUUPER heavily into the gothic aesthetic. Which sounds cool mind you but I'd like him to pop a little more.

Eh fork it. The darker muted colors making him look like Orlok almost can be saved for "business" scenes to make him look more professional or whatever. Aside from that I'd like a bit more color

Last edited:
Recently I was watching some old Steptoe and Son. I've just now found myself wondering whether the character of Albert Steptoe would provide an interesting jumping-off point for a potential Joker look. It's just old-fashioned and Victorian enough for my tastes, while simultaneously being as grubby, tasteless and Kramer-esque as Andy might like. :funny: Or at least, I think so.

steptoe8.jpg

Steptoe-and-Son-starring-Harry-H-Corbett-and-Wilfred-Bramble.jpg

I like the black coat and red bandana.

I know, it's just that I get the sense that Reeves will lean super SUUUPER heavily into the gothic aesthetic. Which sounds cool mind you but I'd like him to pop a little more.

Eh **** it. The darker muted colors making him look like Orlok almost can be saved for "business" scenes to make him look more professional or whatever. Aside from that I'd like a bit more color
I’d do the opposite. Business scenes I’d have him dress more colourful. Creepy boogeyman stuff (in Arkham) go gothic.

I’d do the opposite. Business scenes I’d have him dress more colourful. Creepy boogeyman stuff (in Arkham) go gothic.
My only thing with that is, would they even allow him to really wear anything in Arkham that isn't a prison jumpsuit or a straitjacket??

Probably not, so they’ll likely keep it spooky in there. With the right lighting you obscure his gear and focus more on his face. So it’s easier to make him a gothic figure in his cell. When he’s out in the real world, let’s say a meeting with Penguin, you want him to stand out more.

Recently I was watching some old Steptoe and Son. I've just now found myself wondering whether the character of Albert Steptoe would provide an interesting jumping-off point for a potential Joker look. It's just old-fashioned and Victorian enough for my tastes, while simultaneously being as grubby, tasteless and Kramer-esque as Andy might like. :funny: Or at least, I think so.

steptoe8.jpg

Honestly I feel like that's a little TOO grubby and casual for my personal tastes. Feels more appropriate for Hatter.

It would be interesting if Joker is done similar to Michael Myers in the original Halloween for his introduction. Have him to be an escaped mental patient on the run. He starts off in a jumpsuit knifing people in what seems to be random murders. All the while he’s taking things like clothes, chemicals, laughing gas, sharp objects, a truck and so on.

Joker is slowly revealed throughout the film much like Michael as a sort of ghostly figure in the distance until he massacres all but one reporter at a news station. He has the reporter to read a “party invitation” to The Batman. When the reporter fails to do it as Joker is instructing from the background, Joker savagely kills the reporter then has a seat in front of the camera fully formed and delivers a short creepy and bizarre message himself.

Have it to be an intense slow burn building up to a horrifying laugh like Dracula.

steptoe8.jpg

My goodness. The last place I expected Albert Steptoe to show up was in a Joker thread. What a classic British comedy legend.

It would be interesting if Joker is done similar to Michael Myers in the original Halloween for his introduction. Have him to be an escaped mental patient on the run. He starts off in a jumpsuit knifing people in what seems to be random murders. All the while he’s taking things like clothes, chemicals, laughing gas, sharp objects, a truck and so on.

Joker is slowly revealed throughout the film much like Michael as a sort of ghostly figure in the distance until he massacres all but one reporter at a news station. He has the reporter to read a “party invitation” to The Batman. When the reporter fails to do it as Joker is instructing from the background, Joker savagely kills the reporter then has a seat in front of the camera fully formed and delivers a short creepy and bizarre message himself.

Have it to be an intense slow burn building up to a horrifying laugh like Dracula.

I love that idea. I'd love as well if they incorporated some of the ways Myers appears in the original Halloween. Could you imagine something like this, but all you see is the faint silhouette of a manic grin and wide eyes? Would be the stuff of nightmares

screenshot-2020-09-24-at-21450-pm_jeaqqC8.png

Last edited:
Willem Dafoe. No prosthetics needed.

I'd take almost anyone over Defoe, I like him as an actor, I really do, but that'd be the single most boring thing I can imagine happening.

I love that idea. I'd love as well if they incorporated some of the ways Myers appears in the original Halloween. Could you imagine something like this, but all you see is the faint silhouette of a manic grin and wide eyes? Would be the stuff of nightmares

screenshot-2020-09-24-at-21450-pm_jeaqqC8.png
This is exactly what I want to see

9874C92C-A860-4CA5-B758-7BE1B9EB4FF9.jpeg 37B058F9-9A1F-4A6A-8B9F-485E201F3242.gif 5FC58F6E-6B0F-40FC-A9EA-F96255D19726.gif

Not only would it be a sort of call back to A Death in the Family, but Joker would be absolutely terrifying in scenes like these.

Would it be too much for Joker to have a permanent grin? I remember Radiohead once did a photoshoot where they had their "imperfections" removed, and Thom Yorke looked creepy with this smile on his face. I think it would be unsettling if the Joker was constantly smiling.

57cZV2b.jpeg

My favourite scene in the original Halloween is where Michael follows Tommy after school. Despite the fact that he's already wearing the mask at this point, you don't see anything above the neckline. All you see is him slowly walking alongside the chain link fence while his breathing hitches.

Something like that would be a great introductory scene, if you wanted to go the Myers inspirational route. I love that for the first few scenes where he's back in Haddonfield, Myers is either too far off in the distance, partially out of shot, or simply filmed from behind. You never get a properly good look at the mask until later on in the film. It's a great way of further building up the mystique and inhuman feeling about him.

Last edited:
Reeve has emphasized a lot how the POV will be from Bruce's. I don't foresee him changing it up for Joker or in the sequels.

If Joker does show up in this franchise, I'm not expecting a grandiose intro a la Jack and Heath. I do think his inclusion into this world will be far more low-key and build to an explosion as the films go on.

Would it be too much for Joker to have a permanent grin? I remember Radiohead once did a photoshoot where they had their "imperfections" removed, and Thom Yorke looked creepy with this smile on his face. I think it would be unsettling if the Joker was constantly smiling.

57cZV2b.jpeg
I mean, I usually prefer him to be more expressive but idk. Maybe they could make it work. Especially since this isn't a super traditional universe anyways.

They did the permanent grin thing with Nicholson, and I don't really like it. I prefer The Joker to be able to have a wide range of expressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"