The Joker Thread - Part 1

No issue with that. It's the silly notion that Harley was afraid because she can't swim when she was a cool as a cucumber under that water, using it to her advantage to attack Batman on the sly.

Exactly.

Thanks for sharing that. Your detailed reasoning behind this belief has won me over.

I should have posted as a continuation to the thread instead of a reply to whatever you said. I didn't mean to upset ya. My fault.

Clearly,many people had a big problem with the Joker in his brief stint. I really hope they go all in with Leto. If people want the damaged tattoo removed that much , I say remove it. Removing the grill( I honestly liked it) would be easy.
He's a very good actor. I wouldn't waste time almost .. hiding the Joker because of one performance people hated. Batman fans want batman v Joker (In general) so I hope they have the guts to do it.
If the director isn't confident in it then he's probably not the right director. But that's just one dude's opinion.

I have a bit of general information that I think all posters, both old and new, should be aware of (but the fact that it actually has to be explained to some posters is rather face palmable)........IMPORTANT INFORMATION - if you receive an infraction for a post, where the mod tells you that it is infraction worthy, uncivil, and for you to not do that again and then it is deleted....reposting it is considered to be a very unwise thing to do. Such actions can, and will, get you probation.

I know that I may be in a minority, but I for one loved Jared's Joker in Suicide Squad. The look, the acting, the dialogue, the mannerisms, the whole shebang. As I do all versions in movies and shows so far. They all bring something new and interesting to the character. The Joker is a character who's insanity and appearance morphs from one version to another. Always has and always will. But all of the versions kept the core of the character. Batman's arch-nemesis who is the biggest scourge upon Gotham and find humor and joy in crime. Also the characters visuals vary but almost all are consistent in the white face, green hair, red lips and purple suit departments.
Leto's Joker is taken as a modern day gangster which is not only new but it may be the first time the character has been 'modernized' in the full meaning of the word. In his original appearances, Joker very much resembled a 40's gangster with a clown twist, and for decades has continued to do so. Ayer and Leto brought us a 2010's gangster with the same clown twist that defines him.

He is also the first live action Joker to have a long history with Batman (not including the 66' version since any history doesn't play into the show or it's movie very much). The first Joker to have a Harley Quinn besides him. He is also said to influenced by Grant Morrison's take on the character, which is the best way to approach Joker that one could take, simply cause Morrison stated that the Joker reinvents himself from time to time, thus giving the actor, directors and the studio a way to play around with that idea for future movies. As I said I personally loved this version. I wanted a Joker who for once doesn't have any sort of perma-smile. Loved the permanent grimaces we've gotten through the years, but this gives us a Joker who can be serious and up the creepiness when the laugh comes out.

Also, I loved the laugh. Again, loved everything. The teeth fillings and scars were great editions especially for a version that's battled Batman for two decades. The tattoos are great cause they make this version unique to all the ones that came before. If someone asked me what would I like to see Joker look like on the big screen before Suicide Squad, I'd probably say: a mixture of The Dark Knight Returns, Batman R.I.P. and All-Star Batman and Robin.
What we basically got was that and so much more so I'm an extremely happy camper as you'd imagine. Of course I know a lot of people didn't like this version and want a more, let's say, 'classic' Joker which I respect. And while for now I hope they stay with the same vision they started, they do have the 'Morrison' loop-hole to change up the character if the so wish, and I'd be interested to see what they would come up with next.

Leto's casting was perfect from start so I really hope he stays on for multiple movies, which last I checked he said he'd love to, despite his anger at the editing of his role in Squad. The editing really is this character's only enemy in the movie for me since Leto obviously put a ton of work in his performance. His role was small, as we should have known it would be since it was a Suicide Squad movie, not a Batman, Harley Quinn or Joker one.
Hope to see him as the primary antagonist in future solo Batman movies so he can shine in all his crazy glory. I think he would win some people who disliked his performance over then. If not, they could at least dislike it when he has the proper screen time he deserves. :batty:

Sorry for the long post, just had to add my opinion on my favorite villain and second favorite character ever. Cheers :joker:

Last edited:
can we have leto as joker, but have him look completely different. as in, let's do a soft retcon on SS.

I know that I may be in a minority, but I for one loved Jared's Joker in Suicide Squad. The look, the acting, the dialogue, the mannerisms, the whole shebang. As I do all versions in movies and shows so far. They all bring something new and interesting to the character. The Joker is a character who's insanity and appearance morphs from one version to another. Always has and always will. But all of the versions kept the core of the character. Batman's arch-nemesis who is the biggest scourge upon Gotham and find humor and joy in crime. Also the characters visuals vary but almost all are consistent in the white face, green hair, red lips and purple suit departments.
Leto's Joker is taken as a modern day gangster which is not only new but it may be the first time the character has been 'modernized' in the full meaning of the word. In his original appearances, Joker very much resembled a 40's gangster with a clown twist, and for decades has continued to do so. Ayer and Leto brought us a 2010's gangster with the same clown twist that defines him.

He is also the first live action Joker to have a long history with Batman (not including the 66' version since any history doesn't play into the show or it's movie very much). The first Joker to have a Harley Quinn besides him. He is also said to influenced by Grant Morrison's take on the character, which is the best way to approach Joker that one could take, simply cause Morrison stated that the Joker reinvents himself from time to time, thus giving the actor, directors and the studio a way to play around with that idea for future movies. As I said I personally loved this version. I wanted a Joker who for once doesn't have any sort of perma-smile. Loved the permanent grimaces we've gotten through the years, but this gives us a Joker who can be serious and up the creepiness when the laugh comes out.

Also, I loved the laugh. Again, loved everything. The teeth fillings and scars were great editions especially for a version that's battled Batman for two decades. The tattoos are great cause they make this version unique to all the ones that came before. If someone asked me what would I like to see Joker look like on the big screen before Suicide Squad, I'd probably say: a mixture of The Dark Knight Returns, Batman R.I.P. and All-Star Batman and Robin.
What we basically got was that and so much more so I'm an extremely happy camper as you'd imagine. Of course I know a lot of people didn't like this version and want a more, let's say, 'classic' Joker which I respect. And while for now I hope they stay with the same vision they started, they do have the 'Morrison' loop-hole to change up the character if the so wish, and I'd be interested to see what they would come up with next.

Leto's casting was perfect from start so I really hope he stays on for multiple movies, which last I checked he said he'd love to, despite his anger at the editing of his role in Squad. The editing really is this character's only enemy in the movie for me since Leto obviously put a ton of work in his performance. His role was small, as we should have known it would be since it was a Suicide Squad movie, not a Batman, Harley Quinn or Joker one.
Hope to see him as the primary antagonist in future solo Batman movies so he can shine in all his crazy glory. I think he would win some people who disliked his performance over then. If not, they could at least dislike it when he has the proper screen time he deserves. :batty:

Sorry for the long post, just had to add my opinion on my favorite villain and second favorite character ever. Cheers :joker:

horror-you-are-not-alone.gif

100% agreed :up:

can we have leto as joker, but have him look completely different. as in, let's do a soft retcon on SS.

That would be ideal. Completely erase that horrendous "Joker" we got in SS and start afresh.

C45EcReVMAA7jQm.jpg

He's got the facial structure for it.

As someone else mentioned it would be cool if the Joker just had a totally different look every different movie.

That would be ideal. Completely erase that horrendous "Joker" we got in SS and start afresh.

There is nothing wrong with that joker he just got butchered in the editing bay. A "gangster" Joker isn't a bad idea. He just needs more then 5 minutes of screen time.

Holding out hope this shows up in the future, it looks spectacular.

RIa5C2S.png

Amazing how much better he looks when he's cleaned up a bit.

Read the interview with Suicide Squad's makeup artist.

They name-dropped Conrad Veidt and David Bowie, so they were at least on the right track at the beginning. Have to imagine all of the embellishments (tattoos, grillz, jewelry, open shirts) were Ayer's own contributions.

So yeah. Here's hoping that the next filmmaker to tackle The Joker opts for a more refined look.

Last edited:
I would do anything to see Gibson direct Leto , telling him to knock it off with his b.s. Of course I doubt Joker will be in thenext one. But imagine that behind the scenes gossip.

It's sad to see how much better the concept art looked than the finished product. The whole Joker look just screams excess.

I hope he does show up in the Bat solo. I want to see him under Reeves direction.

I mean, I feel like Joker has always been excessive. I'd like to see his look change for every film though, even within films would be cool. The larger issue lies in the execution of the character. I didn't like him under Ayer's direction, so I'd like to see him under someone with a bit more restraint like Reeves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"