The Joker Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by Thread Manager, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Mindreaper21 ?????

Jason would work best in this adaptation if he never had been nor becomes Robin. I would be interested in seeing Joker kidnapping Jason, beating him, faking his death and Jason shape up into becoming Red Hood. You can even throw in a nod at Dick by having things take place at a circus carnival.

You can even build on Joker’s story more by having him to shoot Barbra and paralyzing her so that she later becomes Oracle. She could probably just dream of being Batgirl without actually becoming Batgirl.

Joker’s part in this trilogy can be like some of his greatest hits and moments of his comic book history. Joker at his darkest and most evil affecting all of the people that we know in Batman’s personal life in the comics in order to forge new stories.

I may not be particularly fond of sidekicks, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want see a fresh take on the idea of Robin. I do like Nightwing and Redhood, but I feel like their stories can be told without them becoming Robin, if you want to have them in this kind of trilogy. My unpopular opinion is having a version of Carrie Kelly as Robin since she doesn’t have a major evolution and I’d love to see more females.

2. BattleAngel Registered

I feel like Nolan handled Robin appropriately enough in Rises. Not sure I could possibly cope with the Boy Wonder take, lol.

3. Luke995 Registered

An orphan teen adopted by Bruce (who can - thanks to him - really move on from his trauma becoming not just a Waynes' son anymore but also a man and a father growing with his own legacy) turned into a 20s cop who meets Bruce only three times and who become his successor just because he knows what means being an angry orphan and he is a good and idealistic man in love with the Batman legend?

Oh yeah, really well handled :whatever:

I don't really understand how today so many people still consider Robin a camp sidekick and not a keystone for Bruce's arc.

I mean, BTAS already proved it like 30 years ago and so many comics did the same... :ebr:

4. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

No matter how you try to spin it though, the idea of Bruce taking in a minor and recruiting him for his insane one-man war on crime just edges on a bit uncomfortable for some people, especially when put into live action. I think Batman Forever honestly did it pretty well, I was fine with aging Grayson up a bit. And I didn't need to see another third Batman film that repeated that arc.

Blake worked because he wasn't literally supposed to be Robin, or any sort of adaptation of any of the individual Robins. The name is just there as a nod, a tribute to the idea Robin represents at his core- the protege, the successor, the young idealist who might someday become an even better hero than Batman. I understand it's not for everyone though and if you're a hardcore Robin fan you might take issue with it. I get it.

Personally though, I think we have to admit that the tone IS inherently different when Robin is involved. It's inherently more playful and colorful, whether you want to call that "camp" or not. That's why even BTAS had plenty of episodes without Robin even when he was introduced. Sometimes you just want a good solo Batman story.

#13979 BatLobster, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  5. TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

That's a bit of a simplified version of what happened. Blake may have only met Bruce 3 times but, Bruce's impact on him as Batman started long before that given when he figured it out.

Bruce saw enough to know that Blake was more than capable.

6. Bruce Wayne obligatory anime seizure attack!

I've said this before to Andy, but thus far, the Riddler doesn't realty feel all that much like the Riddler to me. And it's not just the radical change in costume. His motivation seemingly being a desire to expose the Gotham elite's corruption, and not just proving his genius and intellectual superiority for its own sake, is also something I'm having trouble reconciling with the comics version.

But I'm not definitively passing judgement until I see the film in full. Maybe it'll work for me and I'll come to embrace it as an aspect of the character, much like how a lot of fans eventually embraced Burton/DeVito's radically different Penguin in Batman Returns.

AndyTrevino likes this.
  7. OtherwiseKnownAs We live inside a dream (P)(he/him/his)

He had a similar motivation in Arkham Origins.

8. ironwez20 Registered

Yea sorry but that rises “robin” or whatever you wanna call it was trash and was probably one of the reasons I hate that movie. Robin isn’t some wacky 60s sidekick that people always take him for. All of them have compelling arcs with great story and development. Watering it down to some no name guy who is a cop and has a name robin is disrespectful to the character imo. Robin isn’t a cheesy sidekick he’s just as good as Batman .

9. PurpleStar Registered

I think best thing to do if utilising an actual Robin would be to age up and maybe make the costume better. As I think it's the age and costume (due to association with the 60s show which makes some regard it as a bit silly) which puts some people off.

#13984 PurpleStar, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  10. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

Is this the joker thread or the Robin thread

Jermobooka, 3rdstone and AndyTrevino like this.
  11. BattleAngel Registered

I think it started devolving from a Joker-related hope by some to not only introduce Robin, but establish Robin to the point where the Joker-murders-Robin storyline plays out. I just can’t see it happening.

What I meant about John ‘Robin’ Blake being done reasonably well is: A) He wasn’t Bruce Wayne’s actual child ward B) He was a different kind of hero, but inspired by Batman’s example C) He wasn’t a full-on sidekick - of course, TDKR does all kinds of stuff terribly, and it’s condensation of time is just completely bonkers and I agree that the brisk speed with which Bruce trusts Blake with his legacy is insane. But as others have said, Bruce is a brilliant and intuitive figure (and actually a little impulsive) and probably thought he had seen enough to make the gamble.

Hawkeye recently tackled a more traditional Robin-like side-kick storyline ‘reasonably well’ - but that was set in a world where superheroes are as plentiful as rockstars were in the 1970s.

I do not feel like the grounded world if these films is likely conducive to anything resembling a traditional Robin story and DEFINITELY not to the point of the Jason Todd Red Hood arc involving Joker.

Bringing it back to Joker, I would truly love for him to be a Hannibal Lecter, intellectual/spiritual foil-behind-bars for much of the trilogy.

AndyTrevino likes this.
  12. Mindreaper21 ?????

Even if Jason doesn’t show up, I want Joker to kill someone with a crowbar.

Jermobooka and Rick190293 like this.
  13. hegele Registered

Re-watched Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY and I can't get MIKE FIAST as The Joker out of my head. He's so damn good in it. Exudes charisma.

[​IMG]

TheAQU4M4N and weezerspider like this.
  14. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

I could see him playing a young version of Jack Napier.

Jermobooka likes this.
  15. The Vafrous Registered

Definitely not him.

16. Chip Chipperson the big guy

We’ve already gotten our first look at our new Joker. He’s just hidden in plain sight is all.

8A051EE8-D412-43B8-9951-24A09598787C.jpeg

17. The Lazarus Pit The Boy Wonder

Pale man Joker here we come. Scott Snyder Joker is better than Morrison’s… fight me

18. OtherwiseKnownAs We live inside a dream (P)(he/him/his)

[​IMG]

Motown Marvel and antsman41 like this.
  19. Snow Queen 4AF (she/her)

A reminder, please.

I should ban you right now. :o

ArmsHeldOut and DKDetective like this.
  20. cryptic name No Limits

This picture really is fascinating.

AndyTrevino likes this.
  21. Brotherhood Registered

Just wondering, where can we discuss our casting suggestions for Harley Quinn?

22. The Lazarus Pit The Boy Wonder

Harley Quinn

23. Art Vandelay Registered

I've been seeing a lot of anti Joker sentiment in the leading up to this movie. A lot of people seem be worn out on him, with some feeling he'd just end up detracting from the other villains. While I get being tired of him, I do think it's funny people think there's even the slightest chance they'd consider not having Joker show up at some point. It would be too glaring an omission not to include him.

PurpleStar and AndyTrevino like this.
  24. KGBANE Registered

I think it would be cool to have joker at the end of the third movie. He could get knocked in the acid and get born as the Joker or have him take the acid bath in part two .

25. Asr Registered

Considering the villains that haven't been done in live action yet, I say it's time to see them before doing Joker again.

Bring on Ventriloquist, Black Mask, Strange, Clayface, or Mad Hatter. Or better versions of villains from the past like Freeze, Poison Ivy, or Bane (hopefully properly Latino in his next appearance).