The Justice League Skepticism thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerMcQueen

Superhero
Reaction score
Many posters here did not like MoS or BvS, but still are very much interested in these films, there is already an excitement thread for those of us who enjoyed the films and are 100% looking forward to JL, but not everyone else feels that way, so this thread is for those that are skeptical of the film and would like to share their concerns with others who feel the same way, please do not use this thread to complain about people who liked MoS and BvS, it would be nice to avoid the mods having to close the thread.

Bear in mind this is the skepticism thread, if you enjoyed the films, do not be offended by this thread, I did in fact like BvS, I am not trying to start anything, it is merely meant to keep things in the general forum more neutral, please be respectful of those that aren't feeling confident in the DCEU.

Last edited:
After the recent trailer I thought most of it was good until i saw Snyder direction for Aquaman as he sounded like a big tough guy which is not like hot Aquaman is portrayed in the comics. Therefore my skepticism for this film still exists.

Well if this happens... Could be in trouble again.

[YT]38Cy_Qlh7VM[/YT]

Well we definetly got a tone change going for us. At this point I'd say whether this was always planned or a last mi ute change is irrelevant. What is important is its happened. JL seems lighter, and I'm finding the humor better than the Lex "you should not pick a fight with this person" joke in BVS trailer 2.

Storytelling and writing are my biggest worries. I hope Snyder and WB come to an agreement and stick to it when it comes to movie length.

And also writing it's all on Terrio now, can't scapegoat Goyer anymore. Snyder has a habit of making cool scenes that he has trouble stitching together into a coherent movie. The best example being the Knightmare scene, a really cool scene on its own that doesn't really fit anywhere in BVS.

[YT]38Cy_Qlh7VM[/YT]

Literally this video, it's my biggest gripe with Snyder

Snyder makes really cool moments in his movies, like has all these really awesome ideas. Then he tries to force them to work together in a coherent movie and that's where things can fall apart. Like the video says he made it work in 300 but BVS i felt it didn't.

Last thing Snyder strikes me as a guy who doesn't want to change or really listen to criticism. Man of Steel was divisive, and Snyder only doubled down for BVS. Collateral damage in MOS was only given lip service when General Swanwick gave a line about abondened buildings in BVS.

Luckily tone at least seems to be changing hopefully we don't go through this again

IL6EE0e.jpg

Last edited:
I liked the teaser. Liked Ezra but not sold on the suit yet. Also not sold on anything Aquaman or the effects for Cyborg. However I am excited for WW.
My big concern is my personal dislike for this version of both Superman and Batman. Batman has been broken and as a fan, I just don't see how they can make him come back from that have it be convincing. I don't by the redemption arc they did for him. The Batman I grew up on would hang up the cape and cowl if he ever crossed that line and Gordon would bring him to justice.

They killed Clark Kent. A lot of people don't see this as a problem. I do. Clark is Superman not the other way around. How do you bring him back. He was buried. Plus I like my Superman with a pinch of hope and happiness.

Honestly, throwing in a few jokes (of varying quality) does not make a tone shift. It's still dark and dreary looking.

The problem was never darkness, the problem was pretension of darkness, they misunderstood darkness and thought it means dark colors, angry faces, some "philosophical" lines here and there. If you want an example of a coherent really dark movie, watch The Dark Knight, the darkness came from its ideas. and these ideas run smoothly within the film's events, that even when you throw a funny line, still the film is dark.

My main concern would have to be that Snyder n co may not have realized what the true problem with BvS was. It wasn't the tone, for me anyway, it was the plot. Just don't make JL so convoluted with multiple sub plots and you'll be right.

^^
Exactly, the condensed the plot with too many unnecessary sub-plots, thinking it would strengthen their story, but instead, it made it a big mess, and it took two hours from the movie run time, which made it really boring and uncomfortable.
If they fix that, then the humor won't even be needed.

Also I'm skeptical towards their writing skills, they don't have that fluid style of storytelling, they can't also make you indulge into the movie and form a bond with its characters. That's why I say Marvel are excellent in choosing writers and directors with indie background, these people specialize in recreating human moments in their movie, by that I mean everything, mainly the dialogues. Look at Jon Favreau for example in Iron Man, watch also his movie Chef and you'll understand what I mean, the movie really makes you not only believe that this guys and the boy are a dad and son, but also love them, and the dialogue between them was too realistic, when you watch you forget this is a movie, and you think there's a camera filming them while "living". Goyer, Terrio & Snyder aren't for that, at least that's what BvS and MoS proved (although I liked MoS), they deal with their characters as some entities, Goyer specializes in some twists and mystery, Snyder in graphic moments, while Terrio I can't really seem to fully know his specialty, I think I only watched Argo for him, but that maybe was a different style.
All in all, Marvel people are the ones closest to Cinema and real film-making.
WB need to really care about writing and dialogues, they need to show their characters as realistic as possible. Well the JL teaser maybe went that way, but it was just cheesy and forced.

Suckerpunch had an amazing trailer... but was awful.
Watchmen had an amazing trailer... but Snyder missed the half the point of the book.
MoS had an amazing trailer... but was bland and average at best.
BvS had an amazing trailer... but was pretty awful.

Justice league has a great trailer.... I'm not falling for that one again Snyder :cmad: The guy should stick to cutting trailers.

Amazing picture! So true.

[YT]38Cy_Qlh7VM[/YT]
OMG that video nailed it right on the head.

I just want to say that I love there's a dedicated Skepticism thread again, like there was for BvS. It's great to keep all the trolls who think this film might not be completely awesome in one place. True fans shouldn't have to tolerate their clearly biased negativity.

My worries are that the movies will get more generic and cheap looking, because of the complaints. If WB continue with the changes, adding more kiddie jokes for the men-children etc., we're in for another "Batman & Robin".

My worries are that the movies will get more generic and cheap looking, because of the complaints. If WB continue with the changes, adding more kiddie jokes for the men-children etc., we're in for another "Batman & Robin".

That is my greatest fear now.

Though, I'm pretty sure that marketing (as of now, JL teaser only) focusing on the lighter tone is simply to gain favorable reactions after BvS backlash and is not indicative of the general tone in the actual film. There is a fact that JL was always going to be somewhat lighter, so these "changes" seen in teaser may be a part of natural progression and not result of some extreme tone shift.

Still, somewhere in the back of the mind, the worry persists. Until I see a trailer that shows some genuine and compelling drama and more serious tone, I guess it will remain.

My main concern would have to be that Snyder n co may not have realized what the true problem with BvS was. It wasn't the tone, for me anyway, it was the plot. Just don't make JL so convoluted with multiple sub plots and you'll be right.
This.

By the way, the video above is a good explanation of why Snyder movies have cold and detached feel about them. I don't think it's a flaw, it's just a characteristic.

Though, I'm pretty sure that marketing (as of now, JL teaser only) focusing on the lighter tone is simply to gain favorable reactions after BvS backlash and is not indicative of the general tone in the actual film. There is a fact that JL was always going to be somewhat lighter, so these "changes" seen in teaser may be a part of natural progression and not result of some extreme tone shift.

Still, somewhere in the back of the mind, the worry persists. Until I see a trailer that shows some genuine and compelling drama and more serious tone, I guess it will remain.

Agreed.I want a small change in the tone,not a drastic one.There's still a major threat in the story,as Darkseid is coming.I want the tone of the movie to mirror the ones we read in the comics.Heck,even the animated series didnt have a light/quippy tone.The humor mainly came from Flash and character interactions and I want that to be the case in JL.

Just don't make JL so convoluted

Agreed.I believe the convolution came from the fact that they tried to make three movies at once,MOS2,BvS and a trinity story.Although the UC did make it better in that regard.

Agreed.

You have to deal with Steppenwolf, the return of Superman, introducing the JL members, and the recruitment. It sounds like a lot already.

I agree with this statement. Although I'm hopeful and as a DC fan, REALLY want this movie to work, since Snyder is at the helm I'm still worried about how this will end up.

Snyder MUST plan for a 2.5 hour movie if that's what WB is looking to release. The UC being better than the TC doesn't mean much after the fact.

Geoff Johns and Ben Affleck overseeing the movie's production gives me hope. I hope they don't let me down.

I don't think the movie will be good but we'll see next year. Zack Snyder is a really bad director. I dislike Sucker Punch a lot. I thought BvS was really bad while Man of Steel was trying to be something smart and it just ended up as a mindless popcorn flick. I also don't like the look of Flash/Aquaman while I don't care about Cyborg at all.

I'm surprised it took this long.

This will end up being the most active thread on here. It's going to be like a support group for BvS "survivors" that are going to recount their worst tales of how Snyder has abused them.

My hope is that Ben and Geoff have more at stake now in the production. They are now the ones who edit, peer review, and provide feedback to Snyder.

Snyder is an awesome visual director, hands down... the production needs to simply reign him in and not give him so much sway... because quite frankly, his story ideas are crap.

This will end up being the most active thread on here. It's going to be like a support group for BvS "survivors" that are going to recount their worst tales of how Snyder has abused them.

:hehe: It'll probably be like that as the thread grows but at the moment it's interesting to read some of the constructive criticisms. At least there's less of the "Sack Snyder" stuff going on.

I appreciate this thread's existence, if only because it means that both sides will be less inclined to whine at each other like children.

Posts like these were inflammatory, unnecessary, and ride on the DOJ board, and they are here too. Please don't come in here just to start ****. It happens enough in the General Discussion thread.

The problem was never darkness, the problem was pretension of darkness, they misunderstood darkness and thought it means dark colors, angry faces, some "philosophical" lines here and there. If you want an example of a coherent really dark movie, watch The Dark Knight, the darkness came from its ideas. and these ideas run smoothly within the film's events, that even when you throw a funny line, still the film is dark.

100% agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"