The Last Defenders

I liked it. It was a cute story with great art. I would've liked to see Isaac in his Gargoyle form more, though.

The Defenders have always been an odd team to peg down. You have a founding roster of heavy hitters, true, but over time that roster has shifted, especially since for long peroids of time, all of the founders had ongoing titles of their own. That naturally created a roster of longtime second and even third stringers who lacked the solo titles that DR. STRANGE, HULK, SILVER SURFER and NAMOR all had (yes, once upon a time, all of 'em had ongoings, well into the mid-late 90's even for some of 'em; only Hulk still has one today).

The basic idea of the Defenders was usually that Dr. Strange would randomly assemble these characters to deal with specific threats, or circumstances would cause that to happen. And hey, circumstance plays a big part in superhero team rosters. New Avengers reminded us of that (Cap was inspired to reform the team based on which heroes randomly showed up for the Rykers brawl).

Naturally, right now most of those core founders are busy. The Hulk just spent months in space, tried to conquor the earth to avenge Sakaar, was defeated by Sentry & Tony Stark, and is comatose in some military base, awaiting his movie to emerge again under his usual status quo. Silver Surfer is back as the herald of Galactus, a backward progression that was one of the only fumbles of ANNIHILATION. Namor is currently tending to plots to manipulate and undermine his regime, during and after Civil War. Technically Dr. Strange is busy on the New Avengers as well, but he has always multi-tasked. I mean he was defender of the cosmos in his own title and always had time for Defenders or other guest appearences over the years.

Of course, these Defenders may be a team of registered Initiative heroes, of which Dr. Strange is not apart of. Then again, he was technically given amnesty, and I could easily see him either relying on technicalities or other people looking away to aid this roster if he had to.

Nighthawk, Hellcat, Valkyrie, Gargoyle, and some of the others have relied on guest spots over the years, and a few of them have popped up recently, such as in THE THING, AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE, and even MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS. I don't mind seeing them regroup. Especially Valkyrie, who for many years was among one of Marvel's coolest heroines. However, there is a problem; Valkyrie usually rode the genetically bred winged steed Aragorn, given to her by Dane Whitman (Black Knight). That steed was recently blown up by Kraven in PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL.

The question is, who else besides those four? Angel, Iceman, and Beast were actually Defenders for a long while, with Angel funding the team. He's part of the Renegades right now. Beast is busy with MESSIAH COMPLEX (as is Angel). I'm unsure about Iceman; I actually wouldn't mind seeing him do some superheroing elsewhere if given the chance. He's a longtime X-Man who is rarely used to his full potential.

Damien Hellstorm (the Son of Satan, who has been connected to Hellcat for ages) is possible, but would probably need some retools. Moondragon is busy with Annihilation Conquest. Devil-Slayer is dead. Moon Knight is busy being crazy. Andromeda is probably busy helping Namor. Black Knight was also an associate, and he's been off the stage for a while...I wouldn't mind seeing him again. Clea is also probably available and since Dr. Strange is seeing Night-Nurse, may have some sour grapes.

Namor is currently doing the Odd couple thing with Doom. And he brought the entire Atlantian Army with him.

That was a surprise ending that legitimately took me by surprise, too. :up:

SHIELD was about to go to war with Atlantis because of Namor's crazy bastard kid blowing up Seattle (I think). Instead of risking a lost war, Namor killed his kid, made it look like Namor himself was dead, and took all of the Atlanteans citizens out through hidden tunnels to basically live among humans as sleeper agents until Namor comes a' callin'. Meanwhile, Namor takes his military guys to Latveria, upon an open invitation by Doom. Basically, Doom and Namor are working together now under the, "My enemy's enemy is my friend," mentality.

Well, realizing that if they went to war with the surface world, the end result would be the destruction of pretty much everybody. So, he packed everything up, and evacuated Atlantis, making everybody go to the surface world. He pretty much turned the entire population of Atlantis into one big sleeper cell, to be awoken when he sees fit to do so. Before he left, he strapped his dukee bag, murdering son who was responsible for this whole mess they were in, to the throne and made Nitro blow up the little bastard, and all of Atlantis. Then he took the Army to Latveria where they will sit, and wait, for whatever is to come next.

Damn, beat me to it.

Hmm. Homage to the Silver Age, then, since Dr. Doom and Namor teamed up in what was once SUPER VILLAIN TEAM UP or something, I think. They've formed alliances at times. Dr. Doom pretty much gives anyone who once fought the Fantastic Four a shot. Even Spider-Man.

Still, the point is that Namor is too busy to be on Defenders, especially a roster that may be full of registered heroes as part of the Initiative, as I believe this is (it has been a while since I saw the starting pages so I forgot, honestly).

I hope Millar and Hitch pick up on this, because as much as I dislike their books, they can do all out action and whatnot well. Imagine the FF versus Doom, and then you have the Wild Card of Namor. Does he side with the FF or does he side with Doom? :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

I imagine he'd side with Doom, since Doom is actually helping him while the FF would probably try to arrest him, what with Reed being in bed with Iron Man and all.

The pairing of Namor and Doom has always been a good one. Marvel's setting things up for a return to that. Here's to hoping they don't botch it.

Me, too. I'm usually pretty indifferent to Namor, too. I imagine a Namor fan would've loved it.

Did you read the Namor mini?

No, I was competing back in France at the time, and elected not to have comics for distraction.

(Enter, "Full-mode Logic Francoise", the single most inhuman, unrelatable, impersonal person ever to exist.)

A job that doesn't let you read comics in your spare time is a job not worth with having.

It wasn't a job, it was a competition. And I felt beating the hell out of that Egyptian know-it-all was totally worth it. n.n

But then I came to my senses.

A competition that doesn't let you read comics in your spare time is a competition not worth competing in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"