The Moff (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' started by MurkeNyou, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Drizzle

Drizzle I'm gonna get real weird with it

I thought he looked a hell of a lot better than the Tarkin in Revenge of the Sith, and those were prosthetics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MurkeNyou

MurkeNyou Registered

There is only one actor you could recast as Tarkin (Bill Nighy), but this IMO was better, more seamless. There was only one Peter Cushing.

3. Frodo

Frodo Registered

Totally. It was amazing to see Cushing again in 2016 as if he'd never left us. I know there are alot of people complaining that it isn't perfect but come on. It was a welcome surprise for me at least.

4. MurkeNyou

MurkeNyou Registered

It couldn't work unless Tarkin was there. Cushing IS Tarkin.

5. The Caped Knight

The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

Damn straight, The CGI motion capture for Tarkin was brilliant and yes 100 times more real than his appearance in ROTS. Also it sound like Peter Cushing which was an added bonus.

6. Guts

Guts Smug

CGI Tarkin does look rather frightening when you put him side by side with the real guy.
    [​IMG]

7. Guts

Guts Smug

I think Lucas just tried to focus on how much Tarkin's face looks like a skull with those prosthetics. This is what a younger Cushing looked like during the Hammer Horror days.
    [​IMG]

8. Brian Braddock

Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Not quite. Guy Henry was the physical actor, Steven Stanton was the voice actor.

And just to chime in on the whole issue, I absolutely thought it was nothing short of amazing. The voice didnt quite sound like Cushing but that CG - they nailed Cushing. So brave too, as this isnt just a cameo.

9. C. Lee

C. Lee Superherohype Administrator

I was totally blown away by Tarkin being in it. I hadn't heard anything about it, it was a great fantastic surprise. Loved it.

10. GREEN =w= DAY

GREEN =w= DAY Registered

Loved seeing Tarkin again

The CGI was done well for the most part but in certain scenes you can totally tell it was fake

11. Sithborg

Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

I would've loved to see Scorpious (Wayne Pygram) portrayal of Tarkin.

12. NewYorkSpider

NewYorkSpider EndGame

I was fine with it. No complaints here.

13. JB33

JB33 The Eternal Deviant

Tarkin was one of my favourite parts of the movie. Strangely enough, I noticed it the most the second he first appeared in the movie, but then I just let it go and enjoyed his part in the movie and noticed it less and less.

Great job!

14. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

I found it to be a little distracting even though it's pretty much the best usage of I've ever seen, with the possible exception of the de-aging in Civil War and Ant-Man. But this was a different animal being a full recreation of an actor who was not there. I totally get why Tarkin needed to be in the movie as much as he was but I think they could've done more to conceal the effect. They were pretty blatant with the closeups on him. Using trickery with lighting and framing would have made it less distracting for me. Same with Leia, which I thought was more disorienting. I didn't need to see a full closeup of her face there. A profile shot would have been enough.

15. GreatMuta

GreatMuta Registered

Wrong. Stanton had nothing to do with Tarkin. He voiced Admiral Raddus, the Ackbar clone. Guy Henry was the body and voice of Tarkin. For some reason there has been a little confusion about this simply because Stanton does the voice in Rebels and The Clone Wars. I guess they went with Guy's voice because he's a superior actor and they wanted to match the mouth movements as those of us who are familiar with Guy's work can see the performance beneath the CGI. That's the thing - and this is hard to explain - but the CGI is like a mask. The facial expressions you see on screen are actually Guy's. They're not digitally there, they're real, with the VFX work moulded around them. Does that make sense? I think some of the confusion also emanates from Stanton's ego since he is neither confirming nor denying he's Tarkin on Twitter when asked if it was him, yet favourites the tweets so he's sort of leaving it ambiguous as a way to take credit for what was 100% nothing to do with him.

16. Venom 1988

Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

I guess I'm on the fence about it. I thought it was pretty cool to see Peter Cushing and while the CGI was great, it was slightly distracting. After the movie my girlfriend who doesn't know a whole lot about Star Wars, asked me why they used a CGI guy for these scenes, so to her the CGI stood out. But I honestly think they should have just re-casted him. I do like the idea of Bill Nighy playing him as someone previously mentioned.

17. redfirebird2008

redfirebird2008 Registered

It was very well done for the most part. Depending on the angle of each shot, it either looked 100% convincing or you could tell there was a deadness in the eyes in other shots. It's amazing how far the technology has come. 10 years from now they will have it down perfect.

18. Rowsdower!

Rowsdower! Registered

I thought he looked pretty good, though there were moments where you could tell something was... off. But I wonder if I would have even noticed had I not known there was going to be a CGI Tarkin and Peter Cushing has been dead for years.

One thing though... what kind of a rank is "moff"? I've always wondered this. Is that a real thing or just something Lucas made up?

19. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

I thought the CG was outstanding. There were some movements with the eyes which for me is always the give away that distracted me, minimally, but the work done was exceptional. My girlfriend didn't know he was cg but did tell me there was something off about his face. She attributed it to make up or something and was blown away when I told her he was an it. By the way Tarkin was absolutely necessary in the film as he was a major player at this time of the saga.

20. BatsDC

BatsDC Side-Kicker

I knew Tarkin was CG so I was expecting it, and it certainly was a little odd at first, but I feel the further into the film I got and the more used to it I was, the better he looked. Really great CGI overall. I thought Leia looked great too.

21. Matt

Matt IKYN Guy Groupie

I found it to be morbid, odd looking, and in bad taste.

22. scarlet-witch

scarlet-witch Stormborn

I thought he looked amazing. I think he could probably convince someone that doesn't realize the actor is dead. Leia, not so much.

Kudos to the actors who stood in and spoke for him and are getting zero credit right now. :funny:

23. JB33

JB33 The Eternal Deviant

This is exactly how it was with me. As the film went on, I was easily able to just go with it, likely because I just enjoyed the character too much to care.

24. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

I thought Tarkin looked more blatantly CGI to me but pretty dead-on with Peter Cushing, while Leia looked a bit more lifelike but a bit off from Carrie Fischer. Both were kinda weird and uncanny valley central for me.

What they achieved with Tarkin is no doubt impressive, but cutting back and forth between closeups of Mendelssohn and him just highlighted the "human vs not so human" effect for me. I think the de-aging effects we've seen in Ant-Man, Westworld, Civil War and even Terminator Genysis were more convincing...of course all of those at least had the original actors to work with. It was bold of them to try, but unfortunately it made all of his scenes feel like video game cutscenes for me.

25. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Starship Captain

Same here.