The Moff (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' started by MurkeNyou, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Steyin

Steyin Bidding you ADIEU!

Cushing's CGI was distracting, though it did improve as the film went on. Leia's was much better.

2. Brian Braddock

Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Its all subjective, of course, but I'm the total opposite. I thought the Leia CG was far less impressive; even moreso when her CG doubl literally had one word to say, wheras Tarkins was full lines of dialogue with close ups and movement.

3. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

I liked both cg characters but found Leia more convincing but it did help it was just that one line where as Tarkin was full performance and had to emote.

4. BatsDC

BatsDC Side-Kicker

I thought Leia's CG was great.

5. redfirebird2008

redfirebird2008 Registered

Agreed. When she turned around, I instantly thought it didn't look like her. Tarkin looked like him, but his eyes were occasionally "dead."

6. souperman

souperman Side-Dish

CGI could have been better all around. Didn't ruin it for me but was a bit disappointed in ILM with this result. RDJ and M. Douglas young was SOOO much better. Even Hopkins in West World.

Tarkin got better as the film went on. Leia was recognizable but not accurate at all. The lighting was too much and unrealistic which may have contributed to the weird feel.

I think they could have "cheated" with ANH footage and clever editing to get a better...less expensive result for Leia. Tarkin's part was longer and needed the CGI but the frame timing and lighting should have been adjusted. Much of his role "could" have been as a hologram and only a few last key shots done as full character. May have been "more" convincing.

Again, I enjoyed the film and tie-in to ANH was great, just spoiled with better CGI I guess.

This is how Leia "should" have looked I think. Older tech and clever photo could have gotten this image for a few seconds...

[​IMG]

7. DJ Kornphlake

DJ Kornphlake Registered

Honestly, I don't think they even really needed to show Leia's face.

8. souperman

souperman Side-Dish

Nope, but I think sometimes they get carried away with technology and can't see the forest for the trees... remember Vader...these technological marvels are insignificant next to the power of the force... ; )

Much CGI fails to include the nuances of "life" and often make the CG too clean and sharp so we can see all the work and detail but it ends up looking weird.

They could have shot Leia from behind and shown her reflection in the glass and would have been better and more of a tease.

9. redfirebird2008

redfirebird2008 Registered

That's how I feel too. Everyone knew who it was without showing her face.

10. Boom

Boom I got nothin'

I felt like they overdid it. I was willing to buy it for one scene, but then he kept showing up. I'm surprised they were so cavalier with showing him straight-on like that, instead of relying on side profiles, glass reflections, and holograms. They could have gone about it in a few clever ways and saved themselves the hassle.

Don't get me wrong. This is the best digital human model ever put on screen. But there's still something just off about it that keeps it firmly planted in the uncanny valley. I distinctly remember something looking off about the way his mouth moved.

And I have to admit, there is something slightly off-putting about them "reviving" an actor like this. It certainly opens an interesting door. But hey, if his family was okay with it (I assume Disney got the go-ahead from them?), then who am I to say anything?

#60 Boom, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  11. DJ Kornphlake

DJ Kornphlake Registered

The problem I had was getting too preoccupied with studying his face that I was paying less attention to the actual scenes. I think that mainly stems from not knowing he was going to be in the movie.

12. OtherwiseKnownAs

OtherwiseKnownAs Damn fine coffee

Yeah, they got permission from Peter Cushing's Estate.

13. Guts

Guts Smug

I didn't notice anything was off about Leia's face until I saw this.

14. Gold Samurai

Gold Samurai Registered

My family thought Cushing was still alive

15. ry.stryker

ry.stryker Registered

I noticed Tarkin was CG right away but my girlfriend didnt know until i told her after the movie.

As for Leia, I thought she looked amazing up until she said her one word line of "Hope'. We should have heard her say the word Hope with her back still to the camera then turn around the reveal it was Leia. It would have looked better as the mouthing of hope looked very CG

16. Casius--J

Casius--J Web Master

I thought the CGI on him was amazing, they did a fantastic job. For me the first scene with him was the most obvious CGI but then after that I couldn't really tell.

I didn't know he was going to be in it so it was a nice surprise

17. jihado86

jihado86 Registered

The cinema I watch movies in hasn't that great quality of image, plus the 3D is always deceiving, it doesn't let you see the image and cinematography flaws, so, I can't judge if Tarkin and Lea's CGI was bad or good, but what I saw looked to me like a totally real person. I'll wait for the Bluray version to check. But I know for sure that using CGI to recreate real persons is always obvious.

18. Slushy

Slushy Registered

I thought his CGI was a bit off due to how his skin looked, but his performance was bone chilling. Hearing his voice from beyond the grave.

He's definitely the best thing about the movie.

19. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

I thought Tarkin was a highlight of the film. Not just the effects, but his role and performance of the actor also. It was Leia that I found that took me out of the experience. Whereas I couldn't find fault with Tarkin, Leia instantly looked out of place to me and the one word line of "hope" just didn't sit right with me.

20. Gold Samurai

Gold Samurai Registered

Do you think the issue could be resolved with a cleaner picture?

[​IMG]

She doesn't look so ghost like. This photo gives her color in her face.

Although the face still looks like someone squeezed her head in a vice grip. It needs to be wider.

21. souperman

souperman Side-Dish

Yes. The lighting was an issue in my viewing. Too bright but the facial build was just a little off. As you point out... A bit squeezed. Not terrible but should have been better.

The Yavin ceremony scene from the end of ANH has the same motion and movement turn and other shots gave the face I showed.

They could have simply overlaid the actual photog over the 3D to get closer I think. I think they marveled at the 3 d model and " got used" to seeing it so it looked better to them while animating it.

Tarkin was a bit, but not much off but was a good performance.

Looking forward to seeing it again.

#71 souperman, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  22. Gold Samurai

Gold Samurai Registered

i would love to hear what Lucas has to say about this. As we know he's a big fan of cgi.

He's cool with cgi characters in large roles(jar jar being the beginning)

I also thinks it's cool they used unused footage from a new hope for " red leader " scenes

23. Thundercrack85

Thundercrack85 Registered

Anyone else think that Krennic should have just been Tarkin?

24. henzINNIT

henzINNIT Registered

I might be mistaken but I believe Lucas was interested in using CGI for Tarkin in Ep.III.

I have mixed feelings. I think pushing forward with technology is necessary and I kind of admire the balls on the team for using Tarkin so much and not hiding him in holograms or whatever else...

... that said, I was in uncanny valley the whole time and it was pretty distracting. I think he could have been used more sparingly and would have had greater impact for doing so.

25. bubbadoom

bubbadoom Registered

The make-up of Tarkin in Ep 3 looked much better than this digital version - wonder why they did not at least start with that approach and enhance as necessary...?