The Official Choose A Director Thread

Singer should come back and continue the franshise. Like he's stated, now that the characters are established, we'll now be able to see alot more. And I hope one of those things is more action. I look forward to what Winger will bring.

OK, but is there any OTHER director you'd like to see step in if Singer doesn't? And, if so, who and why?

Spider, you're missing the point of the thread. You like Singer. Fine. But if he weren't to return, who would you like to see take the helm?

Motown Marvel said:
singer needs to stay. and since he IS staying, this thread is pointless. it should be closed.
I don't understand why it can't stay open for discussion. Some of us aren't satisfyed with the movie and we'd like to discuss it. If we closed every thread that was pointless, we wouldn't have many threads.

"IF" singer did not return,I would be happy with either Spielberg,or Alfonso Cuaron.

I vote for you david..you obviously think yourself and many other complainers could do better..

go david.!

If Spidey 3 is Raimi's last Spidey movie then I'd like him to deliver the Superman film we deserve. If not then Ridley Scott.

Having just rewatched a couple of John Woo films....I would like to see his take on the character. He does exciting visuals and wild character storylines in his movies....so yeah, I'd like to see what he would do.

I thought about Woo taking it on, that would definately be a different take on Superman. What about Gore Verbinski, I heard he might be available soon?

Showtime029 said:
I thought about Woo taking it on, that would definately be a different take on Superman. What about Gore Verbinski, I heard he might be available soon?
Not too sure about him. I absolutely love "Mouse Hunt".....his other movies are good, but just seem a little overblown to me....I'd have to think about it more.

I think he really has a grasp on "fun action" which Superman should go hand in hand with.

But he tends to lean towards more slapstick than I think the character needs.

I agree, it would have to be a middle ground that I am not sure he even understands.

ROBOCOP CPU001 said:
I vote for you david..you obviously think yourself and many other complainers could do better..

go david.!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Get me the funding.

I'll certainly make the kind of Superman movie that some of us seem to want.

and, yes, I have experience with small independent films.

The Sage said:
I'd like to see Singer continue, but if he doesn't, then I'd definitely go with Steven Spielberg. I think he'd be more suited for Green Lantern than Superman though. We all know he can handle sci-fi and fantasy. But my favorite Spielberg films are Minority Report and Munich, the latter moreso because it's a great character study, and shows Spielberg can get in the head of his characters.

Peter Jackson would be another good choice, as I liked King Kong and his 1930s New York, which is somewhat similar to my idea of Metropolis. Also can't forget his work on LOTR.

The Wachowski Brothers are another choice, on the strength of the first Matrix film and V for Vendetta. I think they'd have a better time adapting Superman due to the plethora of stories to choose from. They would just need someone to keep their CGI usage in check.

And I too loved MSJ's work on Daredevil, mainly the Director's Cut which is one of the best superhero flicks I've seen.

We don't always agree on everything, but you really said everything I was thinking with regard to possible directors. :up:

Loved the comment on the DD Director's Cut as well. I completely agree with you there. :up:

DavidTyler said:
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Get me the funding.

I'll certainly make the kind of Superman movie that some of us seem to want.

and, yes, I have experience with small independent films.

Unfortunately even if you make a movie that some posters might want, there will be loads of others who will be against it and they will be ripping you day and night on the boards. "Tylerman Sucks". You can't win my friend.

Showtime029 said:
Unfortunately even if you make a movie that some posters might want, there will be loads of others who will be against it and they will be ripping you day and night on the boards. "Tylerman Sucks". You can't win my friend.

Yeah, but I'd be willing to take that chance.

Superman can be a great character if handled properly. I see it as a serious blend of science fiction, action, heavy drama, heavy character interation, and strong human emotion.

There should be a sadness and a great joy to the character. Lois should be vibrant and a lioness, ready to take on any challenge. I see that as what attracted Clark to her in the first place.

And I firmly believe that if you don't use Science Fiction themes with Superman, then you're completely missing the boat w/the character. He was born of the science fiction that Siegel and Shuster were familiar with as kids. He faced and continues (in the comics) to face down science fiction type adversaries. Hell, even Luthor in the comics has a strong bent in that direction. We really need to see Supes as more than the hero of Metropolis ... he needs to be the hero of Earth. He needs to face down adversaries of global proportion. By the same token, however, he needs to face difficult problems on the small scale. Problems such as the wife beater from 'Crisis At Hand'.

And the supporting cast ... Perry needs to be a great bear of a man, growling at those around him while still having a huge heart. Sure, he barks at Jimmy but he loves him like a son. He's concerned about Lois and her recklessness but he's proud of her at the same time.

Oh... and Jimmy .. I can't say this enough: Jimmy needs to be representative of the average 20 somethings today not the 1930's. I want to see him the way he's presented in STAS. And I want to go farther. I want him messing around w/skateboards and constantly hooked up to his iPod. The bow tie would only come up for some dress up occassion .. other than that it's a black tee shirt and some thing flashy over it. He'd have better than average computer skills but not enough to be totally techno. He would be an asset to the Lois and Clark instead of a home baker. And just as courageous and reckless as Lois. Clark's work would be cut out for him just keeping these two safe.

Clark..... No more nerdy Clark. He'd be a quiet type who exhibits an insatiable curiosity. That's the quality that made Perry hire him in the first place.

I'd bring in Maggie Sawyer and Dan Turpin. The Kent's would both still be alive and well and living happily in Smallville. Smallville would be Clark's recharge emotionally. When he's having trouble sorting out his life, he goes home and bales hay with Jonathan while talking out the problem. Martha would be a resource to him in the same way.

But I need to stop. This isn't what the thread is about.

That would be interesting to see.
C. Lee said:
Having just rewatched a couple of John Woo films....I would like to see his take on the character. He does exciting visuals and wild character storylines in his movies....so yeah, I'd like to see what he would do.

i think singer knows what he has to do for the next one to save his name and WB's.

if they do change to another person and he just does all amazing action action with no real plot and the general public loves it, singer is gonna look like an idiot

zanos said:
Peter Jackson but at this point I could care less. Singer has done enough damage that I don't think a new director will add much to the films.
:woot: we need to pull of a nolan on the whole thing

Hmm.. I'd go with someone with a sense of Idealism... Someone like J.J. But only if he has a writer along the lines of a Nolan/Goyer combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"