Comics The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Hmm…

I noticed the lack of an ‘Official’ Gambit thread and figured “heck gosh golly! I’ll just go ahead and create a little ol’ thread”!

You see, the way I figure it, Gambit is probably THE Love/Hate character of the X-Men, possibly second to Storm or Jean.

You either love the flash and charm and angst, or you hate him and dismiss him as a product of the style-over-substance nineties.

I’m in the boat were I learnt to love Gambit from the original animated series and have gravitated away from the character due to lack of poor writing.

But I do believe that Gambit can be written well! I think he’s one of those characters that, with the right hook and the right direction and the rightly balanced characterization, he can be a damn enjoyable, relatable and relevant character to the X-Men mythos.

So, primarily, this thread is created to discuss what YOU think is the best Gambit, and what you think the best direction to take him in would be. What do you like/hate about him? What worked/didn’t work in the past? Do you like the flashy, nonchalant charming thief? Do you like the angst ridden, tragic romantic? Do you like the time traveling, embroiled genetic conspirator? Do you like the Thieves guild and Bella Donna? Do you like New Orleans? Do you like Rogue/Gambit? Do you like Sinister/Gambit? Do you like the suspicion? Do you like the costume? Who would be the supporting characters in your Gambit ongoing/mini? Etc etc etc… I’m sure you get the point.

[Anywho, some pics, links and info:
Most information obtained from here:

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/spotlight/showquestion.asp?faq=10&fldAuto=83

GAMBIT
Remy LeBeau
Former Aliases:
none
X
X
Height:
6' 2"
Weight:
180 lbs.

Eyes:

black with red pupils
Hair color:
brown
X
X

First appearance:

Uncanny X-Men #266
Joined the X-Men in:
Uncanny X-Men Annual #14
Currently in:
X-Men
X
X

Known Relatives:

Jean-Luc LeBeau (adoptive father),
Henry LeBeau (adoptive brother, deceased),
Mercy LeBeau (sister-in-law),
Theoren Marceaux (cousin),
Etienne Marceaux (cousin, deceased),

Bella Donna Boudreaux (ex-wife),
Marius Boudreaux (father-in-law, deceased),
Julien Boudreaux (brother-in-law, deceased)

Profession:

thief
Group Affiliation:
X-Men, New Orleans Unified Guild
formerly New Orleans Thieves Guild

Powers:

· interkinetic power allows him to produce bio-kinetic energy within his body and use it to convert any inorganic object's potential energy into kinetic energy on contact, making the object highly volatile and explosive on contact, internal energy also grants him heightened agility and creates static interference that shields his mind from detection
· hypnotic charm allows him to exert subtle influence over sentient minds, compelling them to believe what he says and agree with his suggestions
· full power template enables him to charge any organic or inorganic object within his line of sight, manipulate the potency of the bio-kinetic energy to cause various effects such as burning, molecular discomfort, or incineration, and utilize the advanced levels of bio-energy active when he uses his powers to augment his strength, agility, endurance, and reflexes, for short periods

To my knowledge Gambit has had 2 miniseries, 2 ongoing series and played a big part in relatively recent X-men history with the Trial of Gambit and Traitor storylines.

Gambit's only appearance in the Age of X Alpha. :(

GambitAgeofXAlpha.jpg

No love for Gambit fans just yet so far.

EDIT: I no sooner posted this in the old thread than the stoopid manager closed it. :argh: I am ssooo not liking this fella of the name Thread Manager. He needs to DIE!

Gambit's only appearance in the Age of X Alpha. :(

GambitAgeofXAlpha.jpg

No love for Gambit fans just yet so far.

EDIT: I no sooner posted this in the old thread than the stoopid manager closed it. :argh: I am ssooo not liking this fella of the name Thread Manager. He needs to DIE!

We need to get Gambit to throw some charged cards at him!

We need to get Gambit to throw some charged cards at him!

From the sounds of things, Gambit throws charged bullets in this version... :woot:

Why can't we have 616-Gambit try this out now and again?

Things got better for us Gambit fans in the next two books I read, X-men 7 and X23 #5. In X-men 7 there was so much Gambit action I couldn't scan the whole thing, too many pages! So here's a highlight. :)

X-men07gambitcarefulbooms.jpg

It was the same with X23, Gambit love was spread out through the whole book. Here is an interesting development on the last page, though, Lady Sinister reverts back to his ole evil self it seems:

X23issue05sneakysinister.jpg

That partially explains Gambit's presence in the X-23 book - his years and years of ties to Sinister make him an ideal player to frequently have on Laura's side. He also functions as a great way to sneak in Sinister backstory if/when they need it, without as much exposition.

Also of note... I see that some of the writers have tried to tone back Gambit's accent a bit, which I think is a good thing. One of the things that turned a lot of folks off to the character was heavy (and inaccurately) writers like Claremont would lay it on.

I dunno, I liked his accent. :p

Thanks for the spoilerzzszz!!!111 :cmad:

Jus kidding, glad we are getting more Gambit! :)

These two books should be picked up by and Gambit fan. He was in more than one page and he even had lines! :D

And he's standing up! Lol. I'm only at issue #5 of X-men, I have to catch up!

The artwork looks drastically different tho... O.O

I dunno, I liked his accent. :p

Me too! Although to hear true bayou Cajun is rare these days. I was quite thrilled to hear a Cajun cook/restaurant owner speak it in one of Jamie Oliver's shows. Granted, the restaurant was waaaaaaay out in Cajun country. It is a dying dialect:csad:

Things got better for us Gambit fans in the next two books I read, X-men 7 and X23 #5. In X-men 7 there was so much Gambit action I couldn't scan the whole thing, too many pages! So here's a highlight. :)

It was the same with X23, Gambit love was spread out through the whole book. Here is an interesting development on the last page, though, Lady Sinister reverts back to his ole evil self it seems:

Holy crap! Sinister is back!!! Hooray! It was worth putting up with Ms. Sinister for a while for that. But the artwork...meh...

Loved that scene in X Men...I think I am starting to like Bachalo's artwork more.

Bachalo's Gambit is improving, I've seen some old work he did for AoA and Gambit looked downright ugly in that. :( He loooks much better now.

Not sure about X-Men...the art hurts my eyes...

...But looks like theres some interesting developments in X23, I'm tempted to check it out.....haven't read or collected anything since X-Force/X-Statix, so its been a while...

The book has really improved since Gambit joined it (X23's), but then I might be a bit biased. Maybe. A little... :p

The book has really improved since Gambit joined it (X23's), but then I might be a bit biased. Maybe. A little... :p

Sure :cwink:

That scene where Gambit pounds Female Sinister to the ground is bad-@$$ ! :)

It's always nice to see Gambit as his old self, not moony mopey Gambit. :p

Sure :cwink:

That scene where Gambit pounds Female Sinister to the ground is bad-@$$ ! :)

I just hope that the latest development finally gives us a legitimate Gambit/Sinister final confrontation/fight. There have been so many opportunities to wrap up their personal storyline the past few years, but no writer ever gets around to it.

I just hope that the latest development finally gives us a legitimate Gambit/Sinister final confrontation/fight. There have been so many opportunities to wrap up their personal storyline the past few years, but no writer ever gets around to it.

Well, I bet if they are going to do some serious Gambit stuff, it will be in a Gambit solo series or an X-men book and not in X-23... this story seems to be exploring more of X-23 herself. But what do I know... :dry:

What the heck is that from? ^^

What the heck is that from? ^^

X-Men: To Serve and Protect #4. Could be a fun mini-story. Always nice to see Gambit mingling with characters outside of the traditional X-Verse and actually getting to be Gambit, rather than an angsty guy that hides in a dark room and sporadically turns into a ????

I'm gonna have to pick that up now. Thanks. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"