Comics The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Carey has little interest in Gambit outside of making him Rogue's b-tch. I like what we've been seeing of him in X-23. I wish other writers care enough to write him in a meaningful capacity. I wish he had been picked for X-force. Id trade him for Deadpool or Fantomex

Carey has little interest in Gambit outside of making him Rogue's b-tch. I like what we've been seeing of him in X-23. I wish other writers care enough to write him in a meaningful capacity. I wish he had been picked for X-force. Id trade him for Deadpool or Fantomex

Given Gambit's past, experience and powers... he'd of been great on X-Force.

But that would have made too much sense for the current X-Office team.

Given Gambit's past, experience and powers... he'd of been great on X-Force.

But that would have made too much sense for the current X-Office team.
and then you got the personal history with Archangel. The two men plus Wolverine have all been Horsemen of Death, Gambit being the most recent victim of that with the initial arc having the team track down Apocalypse. Psylocke unwillingly played a role in his trial. There were plenty of connections to play off here with him. I think he'd be better suited for a more mature title which doesnt hold back as much as the other books

I'd love to see him in X-Force. :D Well, I'd just love to see him steady in anything really. I am kinda biased that way, lol. :p

I'd love to see him in X-Force. :D Well, I'd just love to see him steady in anything really. I am kinda biased that way, lol. :p

Aren't we all, Squeeks, aren't we all????:woot:

As for Gambit on X-Force. I really like X Force, but in a way, I am glad Gambit isn't on it. I think it goes against what he personally believes in. He has no problem killing someone if it is in self defense or to save someone he cares about, but to be part of a cold blooded assasination squad? I don't see him walking down that path, especially given his history with the Assasins Guild. The one good thing Carey did with Gambit was having him come to Professor X's aid in Legacy when no one else did. It is a bit ironic that Gambit, who probably was the furthest from believing in the "Dream" has become one of the few who seems to still believe in it at some level (his comments to Cannonball in Hellbound also hints at he isn't down with Cyclop's dictatorship). I see him still loyal to Xavier's and Storm's ideals, although he has trouble living up to them himself, and it will be interesting to see which side he choses in the upcoming Xmen rift.

I wouldn't want Remy to replace Deadpool. As a Deadpool fan, this seems to be the only publication that gets the character right-a tortured, not wholly evil guy with smart-"ss remarks and periods of insanity that we haven't seen since Cable and Deadpool.

Aren't we all, Squeeks, aren't we all????:woot:

As for Gambit on X-Force. I really like X Force, but in a way, I am glad Gambit isn't on it. I think it goes against what he personally believes in. He has no problem killing someone if it is in self defense or to save someone he cares about, but to be part of a cold blooded assasination squad? I don't see him walking down that path, especially given his history with the Assasins Guild. The one good thing Carey did with Gambit was having him come to Professor X's aid in Legacy when no one else did. It is a bit ironic that Gambit, who probably was the furthest from believing in the "Dream" has become one of the few who seems to still believe in it at some level (his comments to Cannonball in Hellbound also hints at he isn't down with Cyclop's dictatorship). I see him still loyal to Xavier's and Storm's ideals, although he has trouble living up to them himself, and it will be interesting to see which side he choses in the upcoming Xmen rift.

I wouldn't want Remy to replace Deadpool. As a Deadpool fan, this seems to be the only publication that gets the character right-a tortured, not wholly evil guy with smart-"ss remarks and periods of insanity that we haven't seen since Cable and Deadpool.

Meh, the Gambit that I like the best WOULD be fine with X-Force. Back in the day the character was among the darkest of the X-Men - he had no qualms with doing what had to be done.

At some point that got dropped for the cliche thief with a heart of gold type of character, which radically morphed into the Gambit we saw for the latter half of the 2000s - a spineless wretch of a character.

The non-Carey stories lately have been a lot better - but I at time I still miss the darker Gambit we saw in the early-mid 90s.

And while I guess they could say he's starting to buy into the Dream... In the past, Gambit was NEVER into the Dream. He was largely with the X-Men because he had nowhere else to go. Then it was because he was falling for Rogue. Then it was because he was seeking redemption for his role in the Morlock Massacre (albeit a poorly written and overplayed role that was dumb).

I mean I guess we can assume that at some point he bought into it, but the character has rarely shown signs of it. His solo books always seemed to establish that he didn't view himself as any different from human beings - he just happened to be able to blow stuff up.

Last edited:
You know, Death-Gambit could have been pretty awesome if someone who cared about him wrote it.

Meh, the Gambit that I like the best WOULD be fine with X-Force. Back in the day the character was among the darkest of the X-Men - he had no qualms with doing what had to be done.

At some point that got dropped for the cliche thief with a heart of gold type of character, which radically morphed into the Gambit we saw for the latter half of the 2000s - a spineless wretch of a character.
:highfive:

The former is the Gambit that I love. No offense to anyone, but it always puzzles me how people are like "No! He wouldn't do that!" Who says? He steals for a living, for goodness sakes. He isn't the most morally upstanding guy in the world.

The non-Carey stories lately have been a lot better - but I at time I still miss the darker Gambit we saw in the early-mid 90s.

And while I guess they could say he's starting to buy into the Dream... In the past, Gambit was NEVER into the Dream. He was largely with the X-Men because he had nowhere else to go. Then it was because he was falling for Rogue. Then it was because he was seeking redemption for his role in the Morlock Massacre (albeit a poorly written and overplayed role that was dumb).

I mean I guess we can assume that at some point he bought into it, but the character has rarely shown signs of it. His solo books always seemed to establish that he didn't view himself as any different from human beings - he just happened to be able to blow stuff up.

I see where you are coming from, but Gambit may have been "darker" but he was never that dark where I could see him being on kill squad like X Force, especially after his experience as a theif for hire for Sinister. He also has had some authority issues that would make it difficult to be able to function in a paramillitary group like X Force.

And if you remember, in his earliest appearances, he was a Robin Hood type character who took de-aged Storm under his wing (Uncanny X-Men 267). So his heart of gold character was there from day one. One can argue that after Claremont, he was made darker (Gambit kicked some @ss, but never gave me the impression of being capable of being a cold hearted assasin, and Claremont has always written Gambit sympethetically.). Although for years his reason for staying with the X Men was unclear, it seemed that he earnestly was looking for some sort of redemption rather than just hanging out because of Rogue. But that's my interpretation of the character.

I'm just happy so many writers are using him these days, and they are focusing on his friendship with Storm rather than the carwreck that is Romy these days (which is a pity-when it's written well, they are a great team/couple).

Well, things have been quiet around here, in spite of the fact that our boy has been in loads of comics recently. Is everybody out celebrating?

Loved the preview for the new issue of X-23. Gambit's reaction to being called "old" by Laura was priceless! Can't wait for the TB!

Is it possible that us Gambit fans are actually happy with where Gambit is at?

uncanny-x-men-534-wondercon-variant.jpg

Last edited:
Works for me! :)

Here's a sample from that X23 preview:

Whatdoyouthink.jpg

oldguy.jpg

Yeah. Whoever it is makes Gambit look great! :)

Nice to have a change, eh? Figures they would add Gambit to a cover right when I was thinking about dropping Uncanny, lol. They keep me sucked in!

I wonder why they're wearing blue and red instead of blue and gold. Great cover though.

Yeah its Black And Orange like the stupid Giants, since the X-men are technicly in San Francisco and the stupid lame Giants won the World Series (they are holding the World Series trophy). lame (I am a die hard San Diego Padres fan, sorry)

I like how Emma is still only wearing white.

Nice to have a change, eh? Figures they would add Gambit to a cover right when I was thinking about dropping Uncanny, lol. They keep me sucked in!

Drop it, Squeeks! Just because they put Gambit on a varient cover doesn't mean that he will actually make an appearance in the book. We've been down this road before...

Uncanny has been boring me for a while now... :(

Yeah its Black And Orange like the stupid Giants, since the X-men are technicly in San Francisco and the stupid lame Giants won the World Series (they are holding the World Series trophy). lame (I am a die hard San Diego Padres fan, sorry)

I like how Emma is still only wearing white.

OIC now.

Yeah Emma wears white no matter what everyone else has on. I've noticed that for over a decade. I can easily imagine her wearing a white version of those black suits they wore in the movieverse.

Uncanny has been boring me for a while now... :(

but, its about to get new writers! I'm super excited, this Quarantine arc has been so lame. I just wish Greg Land would go away also.

and because this is the Gambit thread and not the uncanny xmen thread... GAMBIT!

I love how Gambit's thread is the only one that stays consistently atop the X-forum.

Ya can't stop us gambit fanboys(and girls)!

Damn straight! Hopefully Gambit will be a bit more present in the X books now. Looks like he will hang around the X-23 title for a while, and he is apparently an important player in Legacy from 250, according to Carey (which may not necessarily be a good thing...). If Uncanny suddenly becomes good because of Fraction leaving (not holding my breath quite yet...), I wouldn't mind a few Cajun appearances there too.

Now if we can just get him in a movie/animated series!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"