The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - Part 8

Discussion in 'Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3' started by Thread Manager, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brain Damage

Brain Damage Everything Under the Sun

Rosemary Harris is an absolutely perfect classic comic Aunt May.
    Sally Field is a better version of Ultimate Aunt May.

I love em both so much.

2. SpideyVille

SpideyVille Walking out the Desert

Yeah, SM2 is still the best comic book movie to me, for that reason. Like Avengers is a great superhero film, and TDK is a great movie about a superhero, but SM2 has both elements mixed in, and neither well done halfway. Despite Peter "quitting", there's still great Spidey action mixed in with wonderful story telling that is driven by the character. This is the film that taught me that it sucks to be a superhero, but its still cool to be the hero who does the right thing at the end of the day.

I decided to watch SM2 tonight, and I just saw that scene, and its true, its a really heartbreaking scene, and a very well executed one because it reminds Peter that as bad as his day was, her life was really messed up by Ben's death, yeah she never used that as an excuse to stop loving Peter and trying to do the best that she could for him.

That's kinda what I liked about how ASM was setting things up, because by the end you could see she was slowly becoming the same grey hair aunt that struggled to keep things together.

3. UltimateWebhead

UltimateWebhead Black's the new Red&Blue

Yeah, I don't think he has ever stated his dislike before so literally, and even though it was pretty evident from his other statements at other times, i.e. saying he had no creative control, it's nice to finally hear him flat out say it.

Have you ever watched SM3 and listened to the commentary? It's a little humorous and a bit sad to hear Raimi talking about the film. There are several times when you can hear his frustrations with everything. I can't imagine it was a pleasant experience for him to make that movie but it's very good to hear that he wanted SM4 to end on a "high note" and to make the "best SM movie." The fact that he knew he wasn't going to be able to make that happen and wasn't willing to settle for anything less than that, he respectfully bowed out. I think that shows how awesome the guy really is.

4. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

He should've said "Yah, this was ****ing stupid" during his commentary :funny:

5. DX

DX YES! YES! YES!

Has anyone here seen Oz yet? Is it any good?

6. roach

roach I am the night

I saw it and I liked it a lot

7. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

Possibly my favourite scene in the trilogy, its just so heartbreaking, for both Peter and Aunt May, Peter finally letting his guilt out and telling Aunt May he could have stopped Ben's death, and then Aunt May's reaction, not saying anything, just going upstairs and slamming the door, leaving Peter there.

Just so many emotions go through your head in that scene, and its brilliantly acted by both parties, its Spider-Man in motion, because Peter and May's relationship is the heart of that story, and it nearly broke down here. Amazing scene that gets me everytime.

8. roach

roach I am the night

Aunt May in SM2 is just full of amazing performances...her monologue about heroes makes me tear up every time I hear it.

9. Dragon

Dragon No Way as Way

Saw it. Wanted to like it. Just couldn't. Great visuals. Bad script. Very bad casting.

10. SpideyVille

SpideyVille Walking out the Desert

I heard they originally wanted Robert Downey Jr for the role of Oz.

11. Dragon

Dragon No Way as Way

They needed him. Or Depp. Even Jim Carrey would've been better. They needed someone who could play a showman. Especially from that time period.
    And Mila Kunis was completely wrong.

12. Anno_Domini

I don't know if I'll like it or not. Never cared for that "world" as I didn't even like Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Yah, I know, blasphemy right? Lol; just never cared for it. It could have very well been that way ever since I watched it once with my grandma right before she passed away and I've just never watched it since.

13. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

I definitely think James Franco was miscast in Oz...

14. Dragon

Dragon No Way as Way

I grew up watching Oz and it has a warm place in my heart. But I wasn't looking at this film nostalgically. I expected it to stand or fall on its own merits.

There's no question Franco is a talented actor. For that matter, I like Kunis as an actress. But they can't do everything and it showed in this film. I guess TPTB were so concerned about the look- and the film certainly looks great- that they forgot about the substance. Even Michelle Williams who has gotten props for her acting was kind of phoning it in.

But I was also thinking that the WWW showed what a prosthetic-masked Green Goblin could've been, although the GG mask they were testing in Spidey 1 was scarier.

15. StarLord

StarLord Boogeyman

I need to watch this trilogy again, it's been a while.

16. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

Glad confirmed a lot of what we suspected for a long time that Raimi-haters refused to let go. That he wanted Black Cat, not Vultress, that he wasn't happy with SM3, etc. Over the years, Raimi has taken abuse on here, and wrongfully for much of it. But, doubt it changes anything with the Raimi haters.

17. Anno_Domini

What Raimi-haters said he was happy with S-M 3?

And I don't know still...he says he wanted Black Cat, so it makes me think Vulture wasn't even really confirmed when that name was in the same article that mentioned Hathaway being the Vulturess.

18. Leenie

Leenie Well-Known Member

I don't understand the Raimi hate, even if people hated Spider-Man 3. I mean, this is the guy that made the Evil Dead movies AND the first two Spider-Man movies. Whether people want to admit it or not, the first Spider-Man movie was a HUGE game-changer for comic book movies 11 years ago.

That said, I don't hate Spider-Man 3. Granted, I see it has a huge downgrade in comparison to the first two Spider-Man movies, but I think there are much worse comic book movies out there, and I certainly enjoy it more than The Amazing Spider-Man (which I'm apparently not supposed to say 'round these parts, haha).

Anyway, I don't even remember how The Vultress rumors started. They were ridiculous, that's all I can say. Did people start that rumor JUST to throw some shade at Raimi?

19. Anno_Domini

The rumor started when a confirmation popped up with Hathaway and Malkovich being cast. But, when thinking back, I can't even believe Malkovich was going to play Vulture even if the Vulturess wasn't true. If they got Vulturess wrong, then who's to say Malkovich wouldn't be someone else as well?

20. henzINNIT

henzINNIT Well-Known Member

I'm sure Malkovich confirmed that he was cast as Vulture.

21. Dragon

Dragon No Way as Way

It's not really that complex. There were certain characters that Raimi historically wanted in the series. Vulture (We know he wanted Vulture since Spidey 3) Black Cat and Lizard both of whom were considered since Spidey 2. If Venom, a character he was vocal about NOT wanting to use weren't forced down his throat, Raimi would've produced the series he wanted.

22. A Necessary Evil

A Necessary Evil One. Bad. Day.

Malckovich confirmed he was going to play the Vulture. I think..then a day or two later, the reboot was announced.

23. Vid Electricz

Vid Electricz Well-Known Member

The Vultress rumours, in my opinion, were just that. Rumours. These things happen with every film. Unconfirmed grumblings and rumours are put out there and then are somehow accepted as fact by those looking for material to use against the director (Raimi in this case). It's the same thing about the ridiculous rumours around 2010 that TASM would have had Peter Parker finding a stash of cold case files in the attic and the series would revolve around him solving them. Just garbage.

24. A Necessary Evil

A Necessary Evil One. Bad. Day.

I mean..to be fair...he did find a briefcase in the basement...and is still solving the mystery of his parents death... :o

25. Doc Ock

Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

I need to go to a alternate dimension so I can watch Spider-Man 4 and take some pics then come back and show everyone...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.