The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best advice I could give you is to get a copy of Toast 7. It will do the conversion automatically for you and burn the movie to DVD. Otherwise you'll wind up having to muck with some more technical approaches and utilities that are tricky and a pain in the ass.

jag

jaguarr said:
The best advice I could give you is to get a copy of Toast 7. It will do the conversion automatically for you and burn the movie to DVD. Otherwise you'll wind up having to muck with some more technical approaches and utilities that are tricky and a pain in the ass.

jag
where could i get toast?

Joe Kerr said:
where could i get toast?

If you have an Apple Store nearby, they'd have it. Most CompUSA's would carry it in their Mac sections, as might Best Buy. Amazon.com, buy.com and many others online carry it. It's not real hard to find.

jag

jaguarr said:
If you have an Apple Store nearby, they'd have it. Most CompUSA's would carry it in their Mac sections, as might Best Buy. Amazon.com, buy.com and many others online carry it. It's not real hard to find.

jag
I'll find it somewhere... :up:

thanks jag.

Good luck. If you have questions about using Toast, just post 'em in here. :up:

jag

I'm trying to install Windows Media Player on my iMac but everytime I try to open it, it asks me what application I want to use to open it. How do I install it???:confused:

Orko Is King said:
I'm trying to install Windows Media Player on my iMac but everytime I try to open it, it asks me what application I want to use to open it. How do I install it???:confused:

What's the file extension on it. Or does it even have one? What's the exact file name, and which OS are you running?

jag

jaguarr said:
What's the file extension on it. Or does it even have one? What's the exact file name, and which OS are you running?

jag

It's ".sitx" and I'm running OS X.

Orko Is King said:
It's ".sitx" and I'm running OS X.

Do you have a copy of Allume's Stuffit or Stuffit Deluxe installed on your system? That's what you'll need to open that particular type of archive file. If you don't, you can download a free copy of Stuffit Expander to open it with.

jag

How come .mpg movies have no audio online on my MacBook Pro? .WMV videos play fine but .mpg videos have no audio. I have Flip4Mac but it's still not working. They used to play fine but it's almost like overnight .mpg videos stopped having audio in them.

Peacekeeper 2.0 said:
How come .mpg movies have no audio online on my MacBook Pro? .WMV videos play fine but .mpg videos have no audio. I have Flip4Mac but it's still not working. They used to play fine but it's almost like overnight .mpg videos stopped having audio in them.

You're probably missing the right codecs to play them back correctly. Check this link:

http://www.macdivx.com/

I highly recommend installing the Divx and 3ivx codecs and also utilizing the Video Lan Client. Should pretty much resolve any issues you're having.

jag

Any way to put the Mac HD icon somewhere else (ideally, the dock)? I have some wallpapers where the icon really just doesn't look right at any spot of the screen, so I'd prefer it was placed in a different area.

BK™ said:
Any way to put the Mac HD icon somewhere else (ideally, the dock)? I have some wallpapers where the icon really just doesn't look right at any spot of the screen, so I'd prefer it was placed in a different area.

Yep. From the Finder, click on the litle Mac Guy's face in the upper left hand corner and select "Preferences". You should be presented with a list of options under the "General" tab, one of which reads "Show these items on the Desktop:". Deselect the check box for "Hard disks".

Next, open up a finder window, which will list all your machine name, a Network link, and your hard drives in the top portion and all your primary folders in the bottom portion (Desktop, user folder, Applications, Documents, Movies, Music, Pictures, etc.). Click on your machine name in the top portion (should be the very top thing listed). In the right hand side of the finder window, a list of your hard drives and Network link will be displayed. Grab your hard drive and drag it to your dock until you find a place it will let you drop it in and add it to your dock.

Should be all you need to do. Let me know if you have questions.

jag

That did the trick, thanks. :up:

One more question, is there a keyboard shortcut to command windows to auto-center. There are times when I'm working on a lot of things so I need to place a lot of windows in certain areas. But after that, I'd like to return the windows to the absolute center (don't ask, it's my OCD :() next time I open them up.

Don't know of a keyboard shortcut to make all your windows pop into a certain place on your desktop. Glad the other trick worked for you, though. :up:

jag

Coo, that's no prob. Since I'm here though, do you know if there's a way to check out an image's properties on a webpage (i.e. resolution & size). It's oddly missing from the right-click menu, when it's available in every other Windows browser. :huh:

BK™ said:
Coo, that's no prob. Since I'm here though, do you know if there's a way to check out an image's properties on a webpage (i.e. resolution & size). It's oddly missing from the right-click menu, when it's available in every other Windows browser. :huh:

That's not a feature that Safari supports that I'm aware of (I'm assuming that's the browser you're using). Download Firefox for your Mac if you want a more feature-laden web browser.

jag

jaguarr said:
That's not a feature that Safari supports that I'm aware of (I'm assuming that's the browser you're using). Download Firefox for your Mac if you want a more feature-laden web browser.

jag
Also, try Camino.:)

I like Camino but it's not as feature replete as Firefox, so I haven't used it in ages.

jag

Anyone know why Tor is failing to operate with Firefox for me?

- Whirly

Whirlysplat said:
Anyone know why Tor is failing to operate with Firefox for me?

- Whirly

Not a clue, mate. Do you have the Tor plugins for Firefox installed or are you running it seperately?

jag

jaguarr said:
Not a clue, mate. Do you have the Tor plugins for Firefox installed or are you running it seperately?

jag

I downloaded it as part of the Vidalia bundle.

- Whirly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back