The Official Marvel Recommendations Thread - Part 1

Thank you everyone! I will look into all these :)

I've been reading the Power Man and Iron Fist Epic Collection - Heroes For Hire, and have enjoyed it so far. Are there any other Power Man and Iron Fist stories worth reading? If not any Power Man/Luke Cage stories or Iron Fist stories?

The Iron Fist Epic Collection came out recently that has all of Iron Fist's stories leading up to the Power-Man and Iron Fist Epic Collection. I've read most of those comics and loved them.

Outside of those, read The Immortal Iron Fist. That's what turned me into a fan of the character.

I just binge-read the Black Widow series by Nathon Edmonson and Phil Noto. Great story and gorgeous artwork. Definitely recommended.

While we're on the subject of Nathan Edmundson, I recommend his recent Punisher run.

Also what issue does Frank Miller's DD run start?

#168 is the first issue both written and drawn by Frank Miller. If you want issues where he does the pencils, but Robert McKenzie writes, it starts with 158. I'll tell you that 159-161, 163-164, and 166 have some elements that Miller later drew on heavily. 168 is a vast improvement over what came before, but I do like what came before and I think it's worth reading as a sort of build up to what comes next.

I wish I would've seen this thread before my Marvel Unlimited subscription ended.There are some good recommendations in here.

OK so the trailer for the Jessica Jones Netflix series has me intrigued. As I know nect ot nothing about the character, what are the must read trades?

OK so the trailer for the Jessica Jones Netflix series has me intrigued. As I know nect ot nothing about the character, what are the must read trades?

This. Apparently her debut comic is Alias (which I need to find).

On a different note, Mark Waid and Chris Samnee are doing the new Black Widow comic and I am beyond excited.

They just re-released Alias as a new Trade Paperback. I've ordered volume 1 (issues 1-9). I haven't checked beyond that. But that's what to get.

You can also get the Alias Omnibus on Amazon for around $70.

Yep, Alias and then that was followed by Pulse. Alias was a MAX title (basically rated R) while Pulse was not. After that she became a supporting member of Bendis' Avengers run.

I'll probably pick up Alias.

For someone who knows only a bit more than the basics of The Inhumans, what is the best introductory trade to them?

I'd say the Inhumans trade by Jenkins. That was my first real intro to them and it's just a good story.

I'll second that. A lot of their early stuff is inaccessible (a 70s series not available on Marvel Unlimited and backup stories in Thor also unavailable). If you can enjoy Silver Age Lee/Kirby (which, frankly, can be difficult sometimes) I would suggest reading Fantastic Four 41-43 (Medusa with the Frightful Four), 44 (first appearance of Gorgon), and 45-48 (the first Inhumans story, proper). The second season of the 90s Fantastic Four cartoon (which is vastly superior to the first season) covers this story fairly faithfully.

Plus, issue 48 is also the beginning of the first story of Galactus (through 50), 51 is a bit of a fill-in, but 52 is the first appearance of Black Panther. It's truly the high point of Fantastic Four's writing.

Reading Marvel's X-Men/Avengers: Onslaught omnibus right now.

Loving it--which I suspect is at least partially coming from a.) nostalgia and b.) seeing the X-Men actually as a cohesive team. No Schism, No AvX, and a Jean Grey who isn't time-displaced.

It's what I was so hoping would happen after Secret Wars, but 8 Months Later looks more convoluted than ever. Maybe I'll just have to check out X-Men '92

I just picked up the Jenkins' trade of Inhumans and loved it! I'll have to hunt down the ones you recommended Mike. What about the stuff by Charles Soule? I did read his Point One comic with Crystal and liked it but I was wondering about his more recent run?

Will do!

Just read Karnak...wow that was weird. In a really great way.

I'd like to read Secret Wars when it gets released on Marvel Unlimited. Right now, I've been reading the stuff leading up to it, mainly Hickman's run on Avengers and New Avengers. I'm using this list as a reference for what I have to read.

They also suggest I read Hickman's stuff in the Ultimates line. While that's certainly straight forward, my question is this: Is it worth doing more? I'm thinking Ultimate Spider-Man and maybe even Ultimate Fantastic Four.

The problem is I'm also reading Waid's Daredevil, the Claremont/Simonson run of X-Men, X-Factor, and New Mutants, and the Priest run of Black Panther (with plans to go on to Hudlin after that). When they pop up on MU, I read Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel, although they're both about to take a break for Secret Wars. Is it worth diving into the Ultimate Comics Universe. Should I just read Miles Morales's Spider-Man (Vol. 2) or should I start from the beginning? What about FF, read or skip?

I'd like to read Secret Wars when it gets released on Marvel Unlimited. Right now, I've been reading the stuff leading up to it, mainly Hickman's run on Avengers and New Avengers. I'm using this list as a reference for what I have to read.

They also suggest I read Hickman's stuff in the Ultimates line. While that's certainly straight forward, my question is this: Is it worth doing more? I'm thinking Ultimate Spider-Man and maybe even Ultimate Fantastic Four.

The problem is I'm also reading Waid's Daredevil, the Claremont/Simonson run of X-Men, X-Factor, and New Mutants, and the Priest run of Black Panther (with plans to go on to Hudlin after that). When they pop up on MU, I read Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel, although they're both about to take a break for Secret Wars. Is it worth diving into the Ultimate Comics Universe. Should I just read Miles Morales's Spider-Man (Vol. 2) or should I start from the beginning? What about FF, read or skip?
The entire run of Ultimate Spiderman is fantastic, but is a definite time commitment. Took me about a month and a half to read on Marvel Unlimited. Also, skip the Clone Saga arc, it's terrible. Can't speak to Ultimate Fantastic Four but have heard iffy things.

OK, I've decided to sort of split the difference and read more of Ultimate Spider-Man, but still try and not read all of it.

I know this is difficult but could you think of stories that you'd say are essential? Or give me stories to skip (e.g., the Clone Saga?) that aren't great and don't do a lot to add to the overall story progression? I currently have about 200 stories to read and I'd like to pare that down significantly.

So I read the All New Spider-Woman - And I REALLY REALLY enjoyed it!

So if you were on the fence, I really recommend it! It's a pretty fun read - there's more characterization than plot for this issue, but I was ok that. Also, Javier Rodriguez's art was ON POINT.

The new Ultimates is off to a really good start with its first issue, imo. I mean, it's a lot of exposition/set-up, but Ewing establishes the characters and their dynamics so well, the art is gorgeous and the concept is very exciting. I haven't been so jazzed about the first issue of anything since Fraction's Hawkeye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"