The Official Michael Shannon IS General Zod - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I frankly don't care how Michael Shannon comes off in interviews. He's given so many performances I cherish immensely, and he's an actor, not my friend. If he comes off as weird or stand-offish, it just doesn't matter.

I agree!

That mentality where people feel that celebrities should be happy and smiling all the time is childish and ignorant. Some people don't realize they are human and have a range of emotions like the rest of us.

I forget that some people still look up to celebrities as flawless gods.

How funny would it be if one of Zod's henchmen was named Neil and he's always calling out his name to get his attention?

I have to admit each time someone makes a joke about Zod screaming "Kneel!" around here, I always think of the Nostalgia Critic's parody of him, where it's almost a verbal tick for the character.

You just know someone has made a joke about Zod having a very rare form of Tourette's that forces him to shout "Kneel!" every five seconds.

And now that I've mentioned it, I'm really hoping Doug Walker reviews Man of Steel using his Zod impression, just so we can watch a clip battle of epic ham!

What's going on peeps, come on let's calm down

I agree!

That mentality where people feel that celebrities should be happy and smiling all the time is childish and ignorant. Some people don't realize they are human and have a range of emotions like the rest of us.

I forget that some people still look up to celebrities as flawless gods.

And when they are smiling all the time and look happy, they're fake and prom queens (*cough* Hathaway *cough*)

Uhhhhhhhhhhh....that seems like a different interpretation that ignores more classical interpretations as to who's being cast out of wherever they are.

It can be interpreted any way you choose. Personally I believe Zod was intended to be a villainous portrayal of God himself. And if we assume that's the case, then that would mean Superman is the sympathetic portrayal of Satan or possibly the son of Satan. I mean come on the guy's logo and family crest is a red S and he comes from the planet with the red sun.

I just think the Zod/God allegory has too many things going for it to be ignored. Both demand absolute power. Both demand undying loyalty. Both demand you kneel before them. When the President kneels and says "Oh God"... Zod corrects him and informs him it's actually pronounced "Zod".

I don't know what the plans are for MOS but judging from the trailer I fully expect Zod to once again to be depicted as some type of controlling, God-like figure. He fears Kal-El's natural birth because he doesn't want Kal-El to become something that can't be controlled. The idea of a man that can choose his own destiny is a threat to him.

I can see a definite Miltonian style turn in Zod, now that you mention it, though Paradise Lost has Lucifer being the one who demands obedience and is corrupted by his ideals. There's also a nice intersect between Zod growing old and scarred in battle armor while leading fanatical followers away from the planet they destroyed, while Milton's Lucifer succumbs to madness and decay because he thought "tis better to reign in hell than serve on heaven."

I can see the parallels you mention, it's just the archetypes you're describing are more commonly aligned opposite the way you've put them. The demand obedience thing you mentioned does seem to point towards a corrupted patriarchal figure similar to Zeus or a twisted view of the Abrahamic Yahweh, but Zod feels more like Lucifer to me. Once glorious and majestic, but rendered despicable and pitiable by pride.

There might be a parallel between Jor-El and the angel Michael. Both are relatively humble, unwarlike servants of the greater good who wind up banishing the higher ranking rebel from their celestial abode.

Though I'm really hoping the fight scenes play out like some old school war of the gods, like the Titanmachy or the Aesir vs. Vanir from Norse mythology, with Mountains being shattered in their wake.

And anyone else think that the reason Zod and co. use armor right now is because they need to wait a while to absorb enough solar energy to challenge Superman head to head? Or is the general consensus that Kal-El's natural birth makes him stronger than they can ever be?

Keep it nice and civil in here folks.

I can see a definite Miltonian style turn in Zod, now that you mention it, though Paradise Lost has Lucifer being the one who demands obedience and is corrupted by his ideals. There's also a nice intersect between Zod growing old and scarred in battle armor while leading fanatical followers away from the planet they destroyed, while Milton's Lucifer succumbs to madness and decay because he thought "tis better to reign in hell than serve on heaven."

I can see the parallels you mention, it's just the archetypes you're describing are more commonly aligned opposite the way you've put them. The demand obedience thing you mentioned does seem to point towards a corrupted patriarchal figure similar to Zeus or a twisted view of the Abrahamic Yahweh, but Zod feels more like Lucifer to me. Once glorious and majestic, but rendered despicable and pitiable by pride.

There might be a parallel between Jor-El and the angel Michael. Both are relatively humble, unwarlike servants of the greater good who wind up banishing the higher ranking rebel from their celestial abode.

Though I'm really hoping the fight scenes play out like some old school war of the gods, like the Titanmachy or the Aesir vs. Vanir from Norse mythology, with Mountains being shattered in their wake.

And anyone else think that the reason Zod and co. use armor right now is because they need to wait a while to absorb enough solar energy to challenge Superman head to head? Or is the general consensus that Kal-El's natural birth makes him stronger than they can ever be?

I think that is exactly the reason since his body has absorbed so much solar radiation for 30 years that he is able to take on multiple kryptonians who looked to have arrived fairly recently thus needing suits for self preservation. Also, (and I doubt they would go this route) but I wouldn't mind if they took the All-Star Superman route similar to Bar-El and Lilo where their bodies deteriorate rather than thrive like Kal did due to how and when he arrived on Earth.

So far, and I know it's too early, but Shannon looks like he could kick Terrance Stamp's tail.....:)

Oh, yeah, definitely. Stamp's Zod was an aristocrat who tried to pull off a coup that ultimately failed. Shannon's Zod seems like a blunt and brutal professional soldier from a civil war with both training, weaponry, and most importantly, a command.

I'm hoping Zod at least reaches full power by the time of the final fight; I want to see Shannon start trading equally awesome air punches with Kal-El.

Oh, yeah, definitely. Stamp's Zod was an aristocrat who tried to pull off a coup that ultimately failed. Shannon's Zod seems like a blunt and brutal professional soldier from a civil war with both training, weaponry, and most importantly, a command.

I'm hoping Zod at least reaches full power by the time of the final fight; I want to see Shannon start trading equally awesome air punches with Kal-El.

I think you may be spot on. On another note, Stamp was an impressive actor, but never put any real fear into the character of Zod for me.
At first glance, Shannon looks to have the fear and brutality we all desire in the character.

Just can't get enough of Shannon in trailer #3. I think his acting in this movie might best Russell Crowe and that is saying quite a lot.
I was looking forward to Crowe's acting more than anyone in this movie, but Shannon may be my new favorite.

It can be interpreted any way you choose. Personally I believe Zod was intended to be a villainous portrayal of God himself. And if we assume that's the case, then that would mean Superman is the sympathetic portrayal of Satan or possibly the son of Satan. I mean come on the guy's logo and family crest is a red S and he comes from the planet with the red sun.

If you go to Supermanhomepage.com under the comic section they have an essay about that very thought. It is done by comparing Superman and Satan in a literary sense and if I remember right.

I think it is far too early to compare to Stamp. Stamp played him as genuinely terrifying given he can go toe-to-toe with Brando in the first film and has the most memorable line of all the Reeve movies.

But I will say that Shannon is bringing a fanatical intensity not seen before in Zod or most superhero movies. It looks like Zod will be closer to the level of crazed and allegorical fanaticism of the Nolan villains. It is actually a pretty clever way to adapt comic villains to the screen. It lets their largeness come off as natural.

I think it is far too early to compare to Stamp. Stamp played him as genuinely terrifying given he can go toe-to-toe with Brando in the first film and has the most memorable line of all the Reeve movies.

But I will say that Shannon is bringing a fanatical intensity not seen before in Zod or most superhero movies. It looks like Zod will be closer to the level of crazed and allegorical fanaticism of the Nolan villains. It is actually a pretty clever way to adapt comic villains to the screen. It lets their largeness come off as natural.

Well said. I didn't mean to give the impression the Stamp Zod wasn't relevant. From a short movie trailer, the Shannon Zod "seems" to have more intensity.

I could've told you that Shannon's Zod would bring oodles of intensity without seeing the trailer. I mean, just look at his career. The coiling sternness in Boardwalk Empire, the black hole into madness in Take Shelter, the loopy, alien weirdo in My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done?, anything and everything he did in Bug. Dude has the market cornered on off-putting, convincing intensity.

How did this guy go from being a racist KKK member in Bad Boys II to General Zod. It's just amusing to me how some actors simply make it.

If you REALLY want to see something awesome, Google this short film he was in called Mullitt. It will be the best 20 minutes of your life.

I really do think Shannon's gonna reach that great level of villain that Heath Ledger did with the Dark Knight. Not since 'funnily enough' Terence Stamp as Geberal Zod have we had this calibre of villain for Superman in live-action (Michael Rosenbaum's Lex Luthor doesn't count cause he wasn't a villain from the start).

Funny story about Stamp's intensity as Zod. According to an interview with Stamp a few months back, when they approached him to play the character, he was and had been living at an ashram in India for quite some time. He spent his time there meditating and practicing tantric sex. So, essentially, he credited his intensity while working with Brando to all his backed up man juices. :funny:

BIc_Yu_8_CUAAQbjf.jpg

The red heat vision eyes make him look freaky.

He looks brilliant. I'm almost getting a vibe that he may not be sure what's happening there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"