• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Sequels The Official Mike Dougherty & Dan Harris Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only thing I'd love to see return is Spacey as Lex, he was wonderful, not some bafoon like Hackman, his name sure fits, he is a hack.
So just because Hackman played a version of Luthor you view as 'incorrect' (even though it was pretty accurate considering the time period it came out, and was the inspiration for the modern Lex Luthor, as admitted by Marv Wolfman himself) he is no longer a good actor? All those films hes done, and just because his Lex Luthor wore a wig he is a bad actor?

I don't care if you disliked his interpretation or not, but don't say he is a bad actor because of it. That's the kind of logic I expect from children.

I don't care about any of his other movies, I never thought he was all that special.
But his wig-wearing Luthor was the last straw, I bet :whatever:

But Spacey, now there's a man who gave the character the respect he deserved, it is just a darn shame they went for the same old motives, land.
...his Luthor was even goofier than Hackman's, and had considerably less depth (although that was the script's problem). Spacey's Luthor danced. The goofiest thing Hackman did was make jokes.

But if you do it respectfully to both you have a hit. The fact is, the faithful ones are the good successful ones.
The first two X-Men movies were successful, despite not being faithful AND directed by Bryan Singer. Funnily enough, these are the movies that I see you complain about the most.

Which goes to prove that faithfulness does not mean success, I DO believe that staying close to the comics will make a film the general audience love, simply because the outlandishness is what attracts people anyway. But it is impossible for faithfulness to have any impact, because the general audience don't read comics, so they have no idea what is faithful or not.

I appreciate that all you want is a faithful comic book movie (what everyone here wants) but you are being far too aggressive and unreasonable.

The guy as IESB made a good point. Singer is under a pay or play contract unless he walks away, then they don't have to pay him. And it is confirmed that Dan Lin and another top guy at the WB was pissed at Superman Returns. I believe this is to get Singer to walk away on his own. If he doesn't, they will just keep pushing a green light back till he does.

If singer is under a pay or play contract , wouldn't that mean that WB would still have to mako pay even even if he walked away :huh:
I was under the impression that under such a contract a person would be paid regardless of what happened to a production. However he wouldn't get paid if he himself would screw up the production. In this case singer being the one who would eventually quit the project.

Also buggs about that conformation of Dan Lin , do you have the link ?
And is it a confirmation straight from himself , kinda like how Horn said that he was disappointed with the BO performance of SR or just some Variety article mentioning that Lin was pissed

If singer is under a pay or play contract , wouldn't that mean that WB would still have to mako pay even even if he walked away :huh:
I was under the impression that under such a contract a person would be paid regardless of what happened to a production. However he wouldn't get paid if he himself would screw up the production. In this case singer being the one who would eventually quit the project.

Also buggs about that conformation of Dan Lin , do you have the link ?
And is it a confirmation straight from himself , kinda like how Horn said that he was disappointed with the BO performance of SR or just some Variety article mentioning that Lin was pissed
Iesb stated it from their sources.
Like I have said in the past, Jeff Robinov and Dan Lin are not a fans of Superman Returns
http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=170&func=view&id=3135&catid=20#3135

From the same link:
There was interest from the WB people to use Bryan Singer since he signed his very lucrative deal to direct the sequel. If he gets fired from TMOS, WB will have to pay him a lot of money. If he quits from the TMOS then they don’t have to pay him squat.

Iesb stated it from their sources.
Like I have said in the past, Jeff Robinov and Dan Lin are not a fans of Superman Returns
http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=170&func=view&id=3135&catid=20#3135

From the same link:
There was interest from the WB people to use Bryan Singer since he signed his very lucrative deal to direct the sequel. If he gets fired from TMOS, WB will have to pay him a lot of money. If he quits from the TMOS then they don’t have to pay him squat.

they wouldnt have signed him to do a sequel if they didnt want him, its common sense, and there is no way he would walk away from that cash

they wouldnt have signed him to do a sequel if they didnt want him, its common sense, and there is no way he would walk away from that cash

Sure they would have. Do you think studio execs geniunely enjoy the "____ Movie" franchise? Of course not. They green light them because they are easy cash during a dead time of the year. They signed Singer to develop a sequel because at the time they were not sure if they had an alternative such as JLA and they felt they would need a 2009 tent pole movie. That doesn't mean they like it. In fact, it seems Lin and Robinov have been very vocal that they did not.

But, still, all that tragedy doesn't leave the viewer with much hope, with much empathy with the character. After all, if Superman can't really triumph over normal life, then what hope for the rest of us!? It's far too downbeat.
No it's not, The message of SR was not that, the message was:

When things around you break apart you sometimes can't heroically triumph over them but you can stand up, take a deep breath, take what you have and shape your own future instead of letting the tragedies in life take the reign and shaping his own future, that's exactly what he did at the end with him visiting his son et al.

From IESB (link):

Something else to think about, does WB really want to piss off Bryan Singer considering that he has been asked to testify in the Superman/Siegel/WB lawsuit? I think not.

This is starting to get confusing. OK, Dan Lin and Jeff Robinov didn't like SR, but they don't what to piss off Singer so they can keep him on side for the trial over Supes...

What a bloody mess.

Still, I don't think that anyone here can say that WB is going to keep on stonewalling Singer (because then he gets pissed, and WB cops it in court in 5 years), or that Singer is definately going to do the sequel (what with all the rumours of stonewalling and senoirs at WB not liking SR). So, I think we can all agree, there isn't much to give us a judgement one way or another on this.

Sheesh, Singer should make a movie about making a Superman movie. Heaps of drama and action right there :woot: .

I wouldn't mind if they drop Singer, if things come to that. Though I liked SR. I'd be find if they drop him as long as Routh is still Superman.

No. It will bring him into today's world and will make him actually interesting for today's audiences!
No one gives a hoot about cookie villains with land schemes anymore. Today's threats are politicians and global companies, not wacky bald guys who want to own worthless soil. They want to own the people!
Pre-Crisis Luthor would be a ruthless dictator. Post-Crisis Luthor would be a generally beloved leader, because no one would know what he was really up to! That's the actual plot point in the Post-Crisis stories: Superman needs to show and convince the people of who Lex really is to stop him!

Funny how you guys always ***** about "marvelising" the character when it's actually the main reason Superman is still around. That step was necessary for the comics (and worked perfectly) and it's damn well overdue for the movies! :o
Wonderful post....I love when others see the big picture. Big problems call for big solutions.

The more I think about this, the more I believe that a Superman solo movie is looking at an entirely new continuity and new franchise without Singer and without Routh. News has already slipped that a new director has been hired to direct a Flash movie specifically spun off from the JL movie. I find it out hard to believe that we will have a Superman in JL(not Routh) and then Routh in a follow up to SR which wasn't that loved by SR execs anyway.

The plan from WB is to get solo movies out of the characters that appear in the JL and I believe this now includes Superman. Batman is a bit trickier since they seem to be pleased with that franchise now. However, after TDK, there would be only one more movie with Nolan and Bale anyway, so that's not a big deal.

When things around you break apart you sometimes can't heroically triumph over them but you can stand up, take a deep breath, take what you have and shape your own future instead of letting the tragedies in life take the reign and shaping his own future, that's exactly what he did at the end with him visiting his son et al.
And then he flew off back into space were he came from in the beginning. So what? Will he return in another 5 years and take a look around and leave again? :woot:

I will agree Luthor has been done to death. I don't agree that he's been done right yet. No one's hit on what makes him an interesting character yet. Hating Superman isn't enough.

Well since we know that Superman doesn't take a WORMHOLE to get here, and travels in his ship at light speed until he gets to earth, and crash lands then well the trip he takes while it ages the baby only 5 years literally a thousand years have passed on his planet.

How the hell do you know how the details would have shaken out between the scripts? For all we know he did take a workhome? JJ's SUPERMAN only shows him blasting off, it doesn't show the journey. I imagine SUPERMAN 2 would have.

So the people from Krypton would still be slaves a thousand years later? Sorry that story makes little to no sense at all.

How the hell should I know? It doesn't make sense because you assume it doesn't make sense. But you never read the proposed new SUPERMAN 2 script. In fact, I don't believe it was ever written.

That's just bad writing if you ask me... Same as Superman going back to Krypton after he was told it blew up, and thats why he was sent to earth, and then going back on a story ran in a news paper, and getting back here to earth without having anyone age any! (Superman Returns stupid script.)

He goes back to save his people, who have been enslaved. That's not bad writing at all. That's Superman doing what Superman does: Help people. In a way that keeps Krypton central to his storyline over the course of a trilogy and makes it's explosion have some actual impact on him.

Could you lack any more of an imagination?

Man, I love when people try to argue with The Guard. I did a tour of duty with that a year or so back, then realized I needed to quit because of all the time I had to denote to replying. That and my wife kept calling me a loser.

Endless loop arguments are like the staff of life at hype. But yeah, it does get old. Most everybody leaves for a while, then comes back to face a new round. :up: :woot: It's the hype way.

Well said and agree, the movie was about standing up and dealing with problems in a normal way. It also humanised Superman for me.

Endless loop arguments are like the staff of life at hype. But yeah, it does get old. Most everybody leaves for a while, then comes back to face a new round. :up: :woot: It's the hype way.
Well, I'm never one to shy away from some prime geek discussion, but it really makes me re-evaluate my priorities when I realize I'm still awake at 3 am discussing cape attachments and the like.

Cape attachments ...
1.gif

been there done that.
:ninja:

He was only signed to develop. And he gave two pitches which the WB didn't like, as evidence of them getting new writers, no matter what you guys think, the WB replaced them. This is how it goes. Before they signed him to develop 2, there was a rumor that the casting offices in LA were told there would be no 2 unless SR makes 200 domestic. When it did, which it took months to do, all of a sudden there was a deal the next day, and the film was out of theaters the next week. So I think there was a contractual thing from him signing onto 1 that 2 had to make 200 mill dom. in order for there to be a sequel, and if it did make that, then they had to sign for him to at least develop a sequel. However, they don't have to greenlight that sequel. If he stays, he has some control in his agency contract, but the WB is not happy with his approach, and they want drastic changes. Changes that he is not going to do as he is arrogant and egotistical. So they are stalling it till he leaves so that they can do what they want and not lose money paying him for doing nothing. This kind of things happens all the time.

However, someone at the WB must have been reading the boards all over the net and seen that a lot of people hate SR and that number is growing all the time ( no matter what the ones who love the movie will spout, or bring in the damn RT poll or critics ratings) and they comissioned the JLA script and that has taken priority as they can actually see making money with it, and win back the fans and GA that didn't like or were pissed with SR.

He was only signed to develop.

That's not what the trades reported last year...

Bryan Singer has inked a deal with Warner Bros. Pictures to direct and produce a sequel to "Superman Returns," with Legendary Pictures expected to co-finance.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117952909.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Not saying the films happening but WB signed Singer to do more than just "develop" the next Superman film, they signed him to direct and produce it and this happened months after SR was released. Dougherty and Harris were never signed for another film.

that is a development deal provided that they greenlight his pitch he will direct and produce. Had SR been more successful, he would not have really had to pitch. But since it had to crawl to 200 mill, he had to pitch it and it is obvious that the WB shot down his pitches as the film is not green lit yet and in limbo.

the article states-
Sequel is apparently at the very beginning of the development process and, as with any other project, there are any number of factors that must be addressed before it is greenlit.

Pact with Singer signals that Warners isn't ready to walk away from the iconic franchise -- or Singer --even though "Superman Returns," while grossing more than $390 million worldwide, wasn't the performer studio had hoped for.

That is a development contract. When he is signed to produce and direct is when the film was greenlit.

He was only signed to develop. And he gave two pitches which the WB didn't like, as evidence of them getting new writers, no matter what you guys think, the WB replaced them. This is how it goes. Before they signed him to develop 2, there was a rumor that the casting offices in LA were told there would be no 2 unless SR makes 200 domestic. When it did, which it took months to do, all of a sudden there was a deal the next day, and the film was out of theaters the next week. So I think there was a contractual thing from him signing onto 1 that 2 had to make 200 mill dom. in order for there to be a sequel, and if it did make that, then they had to sign for him to at least develop a sequel. However, they don't have to greenlight that sequel. If he stays, he has some control in his agency contract, but the WB is not happy with his approach, and they want drastic changes. Changes that he is not going to do as he is arrogant and egotistical. So they are stalling it till he leaves so that they can do what they want and not lose money paying him for doing nothing. This kind of things happens all the time.

However, someone at the WB must have been reading the boards all over the net and seen that a lot of people hate SR and that number is growing all the time ( no matter what the ones who love the movie will spout, or bring in the damn RT poll or critics ratings) and they comissioned the JLA script and that has taken priority as they can actually see making money with it, and win back the fans and GA that didn't like or were pissed with SR.

so they will stall, not make the movie and lose money by not having a superman movie so they can wait till he walks so they can then bring in one of the hacks that signed on to do GL or Flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"