Sequels The Official Mike Dougherty & Dan Harris Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran across the following while time travelling:

April 11, 2024

Variety reports that Warner Bros. is planning its fifteenth reboot of the "Superman" franchise.

WB studios spokesman Jerry Thunderkunt reports that studio execs are greenlighting another reboot of the ancient and enervated superhero franchise. "We've learned from the last fourteen critically panned flops which failed to recoup their initial budget," said Thunderkunt. "Clearly, audiences did not respond to the characterization of Lois Lane as a ****ed-up Jezebel attempting to seduce a bisexual autistic Man of Steel."

According to Thunderkunt, the WB Studio's nearly $320 billion combined loss on the past fourteen "Superman" trainwrecks has done nothing but steel studio executives' resolve to "buckle down, lay off the coke for fifteen minutes, and attempt to wring another dime from a bloodless and lifeless franchise."

"Clearly, having Superman undergo sexual transgendered reversal at the hands of Brainiac, travel back in time, impregnate himself, and then give birth to his own son who was--in fact---himself, confused audiences and accounted for the Burbank WB studios being firebombed by Underoo-wearing fanboys."

The Superman reboot saga goes back to the first decade of the century when forgotten director Bryan "Coxsman" Singer produced "Superman Returns" on a budget of over $200 million. The massively budgeted movie featured miniature train sets being destroyed by a home crystal-growing set, a super-powered bastard child, a seventeen-year-old Lois Lane, and a Superman on loan from the "Man-Hole" corner bar in San Francisco's Castro district. Years after the debacle, Singer remarked, "I was attempting to pull the greatest subversive act in the history of cinema: to slip right under the noses of unsuspecting straight Americans a totally gay superhero with virtually no interesting qualities, conflicts, or action. In the end, I simply made an unwatchable movie that sucked almighty balls."

LMAO I found this quite amusing. Creative.

"Industry chatter claimed the studio would start fresh with a new take on the Man of Steel, as if the previous pic never happened."

Music to mah ears!!!

I liked SR and I wouldn't mind a complete reboot at all. There were a number of things in the movie I could definitely do without being referenced in MOS. I'd be fine by me if the only thing than SR had to do with MOS was Brandon.

"Industry chatter claimed the studio would start fresh with a new take on the Man of Steel, as if the previous pic never happened."

Music to mah ears!!!
Pardon me, but could we get a link for that please?

Much appreciated.

VoteBellaEnvironment.jpg

When: Tuesday
Where: Hype Community

Something crossed my mind regarding Harris and Dougherty.

They are widely held to acclaim over X-Men 2. However, there are stark differences between that and the SR project.

X2 was based on the comicbook material - combining four storylines: God Loves Man Kills (Stryker), Operation Zero Tolerance (mansion raid), Weapon X (Wolverine's past) and Phoenix Saga (Jean's expanding power). All brilliantly combined.

The original X2 story treatment was by David Hayter (who worked on X1) and Zak Penn. Singer brought in Harris and Dougherty, Hayter left the project under bad terms (he was seriously pissed off) and Penn insisted on a story credit but was also pushed out.

The point being that Harris and Dougherty came up with the screenplay that was filmed.. but not the story nor the original ideas, which were down to Hayter/Penn and the comics respectively.

So, with SR, I think Harris and Dougherty needed a stronger foundation upon which to write. They needed to be doing what X2 did - basing it on key comicbook stories and story ideas from people experienced with the mythos. What they did seems so loosely connected to the mythos that this is part of the reason the fanbase is so divided.

I really wanted to love SR. I thought it would be 'X2-plus'....but it wasn't. It's not crap, but it's not an epic Superman movie either.

They are widely held to acclaim over X-Men 2. However, there are stark differences between that and the SR project.

X2 was based on the comicbook material - combining four storylines: God Loves Man Kills (Stryker), Operation Zero Tolerance (mansion raid), Weapon X (Wolverine's past) and Phoenix Saga (Jean's expanding power). All brilliantly combined.

The original X2 story treatment was by David Hayter (who worked on X1) and Zak Penn. Singer brought in Harris and Dougherty, Hayter left the project under bad terms (he was seriously pissed off) and Penn insisted on a story credit but was also pushed out.

The point being that Harris and Dougherty came up with the screenplay that was filmed.. but not the story nor the original ideas, which were down to Hayter/Penn and the comics respectively.

So, with SR, I think Harris and Dougherty needed a stronger foundation upon which to write. They needed to be doing what X2 did - basing it on key comicbook stories and story ideas from people experienced with the mythos. What they did seems so loosely connected to the mythos that this is part of the reason the fanbase is so divided.

I really wanted to love SR. I thought it would be 'X2-plus'....but it wasn't. It's not crap, but it's not an epic Superman movie either.

Good points. I thought the movie had great dialogue. Adding a third party would have certainly helped. I made the point that Superman doesn't have any real definitive stories outside of his introduction to Metropolis that aren't Elseworld stories. IMO.

You really need to know the mythos if you're going to cobble together a bunch of stoies.

I mostly agree with you here. Although, I think the large problem was not a poor base to build on, but rather that they all, including, and especially Singer, lost sight of the forest through the trees.

A lot of what made the whole idea behind Returns great was lost through editing and things cut even before and during shooting.

Initially a lont more focus was meant to be put on the dealing with whether or not he should be back, and being re-accepted. Instead, it ended up all being rushed over, outside of Lois, and he's instantly accepted again, no doubts for him or anyone, again, besides Lois.

Now I know that many thought 'not enough action,' and they're right, and this would have been focus on more non action material, BUT, leaving it out, along with the actual return to Krypton sequence, essentially negated the entire purpose of the film. That is, the fact that he left and came back served absolutely no purpose in the end, out side of Lois.

Everything else in the film could have been done without that. That's a hell of a lot of movie to have nothing to do with main concept.

Even the whole connection Luthor had with it all was written out.

If this was all put back in, AND the conflict/danger/ action was brought on earlier, it would have been a phenomenal film.

Also, given that these three were a large part of the reason X2 was so damned great, I was hopping they would have been around for the sequel, should there ever be one.

Still surprised people are 'cheering' over Harris and Dougherty leaving after X2, even with story elements coming from Penn and Hayter.

Good point there but let's not hide the truth. The movie was crap. Point blank.

I mostly agree with you here. Although, I think the large problem was not a poor base to build on, but rather that they all, including, and especially Singer, lost sight of the forest through the trees.

A lot of what made the whole idea behind Returns great was lost through editing and things cut even before and during shooting.

Initially a lont more focus was meant to be put on the dealing with whether or not he should be back, and being re-accepted. Instead, it ended up all being rushed over, outside of Lois, and he's instantly accepted again, no doubts for him or anyone, again, besides Lois.

Now I know that many thought 'not enough action,' and they're right, and this would have been focus on more non action material, BUT, leaving it out, along with the actual return to Krypton sequence, essentially negated the entire purpose of the film. That is, the fact that he left and came back served absolutely no purpose in the end, out side of Lois.

Everything else in the film could have been done without that. That's a hell of a lot of movie to have nothing to do with main concept.

Even the whole connection Luthor had with it all was written out.

If this was all put back in, AND the conflict/danger/ action was brought on earlier, it would have been a phenomenal film.

Also, given that these three were a large part of the reason X2 was so damned great, I was hopping they would have been around for the sequel, should there ever be one.

Still surprised people are 'cheering' over Harris and Dougherty leaving after X2, even with story elements coming from Penn and Hayter.

Good analysis gdw, X-Maniac made some great points too, well done guys. ;)

Also the "superson" was a terrible idea, not only it goes against the mythos, but most fans are not interested on seeing an emoSuperman anyway. Singer totally blew it right there, is just angsty drama, similar to Smallville's relationships, triangles... emoClark anyone? I think a reboot à la Batman Begins is what the franchise needs, no big deal, they did the same with the Hulk. The best Superman movie is waiting to be made, someone will finally get it right someday, lets hope is sooner than later.

Good point there but let's not hide the truth. The movie was crap. Point blank.

The truth? More like your opinion it's crap, not truth. If it was the truth, then not one people would like it or even see it. Even if some dislike SR, there are some that have supporters too.

The truth? More like your opinion it's crap, not truth. If it was the truth, then not one people would like it or even see it. Even if some dislike SR, there are some that have supporters too.

I guess that's why the sequel's already been greenlit and Singer and Co. had such an easy time of getting the script approved.

I guess that's why the sequel's already been greenlit and Singer and Co. had such an easy time of getting the script approved.

It's about the amount of money executives wanted.

If for people watching SR, numbers are higher than BB.

But they wanted more money.

Movies can be crap but if the BO is good they go with sequels. We all know that. So there's no relationship between quality of a movie and having sequels.

You're right. We all know Fantastic Four (a whopping 26% on RT!) was a great movie, so naturally it got a sequel.

And why we are getting a conclusion to this great story.

Oh, that's right, I forgot how great this story was and that it demands a conclusion to "Paternity Test For Superman."

How careless of me, how could I forget.

Oh, that's right, I forgot how great this story was and that it demands a conclusion to "Paternity Test For Superman."

How careless of me, how could I forget.

Not your first time. We forgive you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"