The Official PS4 Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah.. That's more or less what I meant. Sony decreed that all first party titles must be native 1080p. I honestly think that's why Killzone truly look NEXT Gen. More so than anything else.

I can honestly barely the different between 720 and 1080 on my TV. I only have a 30 inch, though.

FYI, I'm pretty sure you can make the PS3 output in 1080. In the display settings select manual instead of automatic and under resolutions, deselect 720p. Not sure if you'll get 1080p but my TV can do 1080i. I just leave it at its native resolution though which is 720p for the vast majority of games

I think I've tried that. with the exception of a few games ( which do say 1080p on the back ), I think if I uncheck 720p it will display in 480p instead......lol

You should be able to get a 1080p output on each console (as in the correct number of pixels are displayed) if you set them up right but the native resolution is 720p and there will be no more pixel information beyond 720p. Tron, yeah you probably need a bigger TV. :) The difference from 480p to 720p or 720p to 1080p is a jump of smaller magnitude than 1080p to 4K which is more equivalent to going from 480 to 1080p so you need keener eyesight to be able to tell the difference on less than large TVs.

I can honestly barely the different between 720 and 1080 on my TV. I only have a 30 inch, though.

You shouldn't be able to then. TV size and viewing distance are the two biggest factors to consider. For most peoples set up the difference won't be noticeable unless you are above 42 inches. I myself only have 32". Really want to upgrade to at least a 46 for the PS4 but can't afford that

Neogaf is confirming COD: Ghosts runs 1080p on PS4...but 720 on Xbone...

ibryYmcJAsTHdb.gif

God, Microsoft....why do you have to make it so damn DIFFICULT?!? :doh:

Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed IV bonus content exclusive to Sony for 6 months

(28 minutes ago)

[YT]jQvggeBG-KE[/YT]

The PlayStation 3 and PS4 incarnations of Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed 4 will both feature exclusive downloadable content additions - but only for six months.

That time limit is stated plainly in the above PlayStation 4 ad. At the 1:19 mark, the ad trumpets "60 minutes of exclusive gameplay" only found in PlayStation 4 version of Assassin's Creed IV, but as the footnote explains this exclusivity is valid for six months. A similar scene focused on Watch Dogs plays out seconds later.

As Shacknews points out, this isn't necessarily a guarantee that these DLC packs will find their way to Microsoft- and Nintendo-branded consoles. Ubisoft could ignore other platforms once the exclusivity agreement ends, though that makes little financial sense if Assassin's Creed IV and Watch Dogs are the big hits Ubisoft intends them to be.

Source: Shacknews & GI

Last edited:
Man I absolutely cannot wait for Killzone: Shadowfall. I've loved the series since the first game and as soon as this was announced, it automatically became my most anticipated. GAH.....this is going to be a LOOOOOONG 3 weeks. Can't believe we are so close to launch though. Hard to believe.

I still need to play the first game. I got the Trilogy set and havent touched it. I dont think I'll have time to run through the entire series in 3 weeks unforunately.

I haven't even played a Killzone game........lol

how does Killzone compare to other FPS?

like what sets it apart?

is the story good?

Shadow Fall actually doesn't require having played the previous games in the series. I believe it takes place a good while after 3..GG said this is a new jumping in point for players.. I assume that's why it's called Shadow Fall instead of 4.

I haven't even played a Killzone game........lol

how does Killzone compare to other FPS?

like what sets it apart?

is the story good?
Haha, no. KZ’s 2 story was alright but 3 was awful. There was barely one there and it was mainly to take you from point A to B. It does have interesting and memorable characrters though. I would say after COD4, KZ2 is my favorite FPS of this generation. The graphics are REALLY good. Best looking ones on consoles. If you are used to just COD, then KZ will amaze you. I like the futuristic space setting and the struggle between ISA and Helghast, the two primary factions in the group. KZ has great set pieces which go along great with the visuals as well as interesting level design.

As far as what sets it apart, the guns have a bit of weight to them so that it does things don’t feel as "arcadey” for lack of a better word than other shooters”. One may or may not like that though. The main thing that sets it apart is the multiplayer. I forgot what its called (think Warzone), but its set up as 5 rounds and rotates objectives. So one round it might be a team deathmatch and the next its a variation of CTF, then search and destroy, etc… It all happens very fast without an exit to the menu. Plus Killzone is one of the few games that actually has bots so you can do this all solo if you choose. It has a very rewarding upgrade system and well balanced class system. I really enjoy it. Unfortunately SF will remove jetpacks which were a really fun addition to the last game

Not sure what series Id compare it to as KZ really does feel different and original to me. It was dubbed a "Halo killer" but it has enough different that I really don’t see too many comparisons to Halo when playing it. Maybe that they both tackle futuristic space colony.

Last edited:
thanks!

I might check out Shadowfall on PS4. but I'm not sure it's enough to warrant purchasing a PS4 at launch.........

too bad Watchdogs was delayed......... :(

How Sony helped Killzone: Shadow Fall go from 290 to 40 GB

Killzone: Shadow Fall's disc image shrunk during development from an estimated 290 GB to about 40 GB with Sony's help, Guerrilla Games' technical director Michiel van der Leeuw told Eurogamer.

Van der Leeuw said that the "bulk" of the first-person shooter's 39.7 GB is made up of high-res textures designed exclusively for the PlayStation 4.

"I think at some point the disc image that we were generating was around 180 GB," van der Leeuw said. "And if we would have put all the levels in, which we didn't, because then the disc image generator broke, it would have been around 290 GB of data.

"So we had to completely re-architect how we deal with data. And we did a lot of work — this is actually something I'm extremely proud of — to optimize our disc access pattern. Sony made special libraries for us because we were the first ones hitting these sort of problems. I think it's something that a lot of people will need to be doing in future."

Those who purchase Killzone: Shadow Fall through the PlayStation Store will be able to begin playing after the first 7.5 GB have downloaded. Sony engineer Neil Brown said in July that players would able to play "at least the first section" of a game as it downloads. Microsoft's next-gen console, the Xbox One, will have a similar feature.

So Killzone is 40GB, not the 50 that was reported earlier, and the digital version can start being played after a 7.5 GB download.

Suddenly that 500gb HDD seems even smaller. I'd upgrade to a 1tb if money wasn't an issue. Thankfully the PSN library will be relatively small so that it won't be an issue anytime soon for me. Most of my digital titles are Plus stuff anyway

Yeah, I'll be getting a 1tb drive for it that's for dang sure.

but with the PS4, you don't have to install the game. you can still play off the disc. right?

290GB?! Glad they worked on it or you would have only one game on your 500 GB hard drive lol. And even at 40GB with nothing else on your drive you could store only 12 games of that size. The future is obviously not digital just yet.

but with the PS4, you don't have to install the game. you can still play off the disc. right?

Has that been said? I figured it'd be like the PS3 where some games would require an install and some wouldn't.

Yup looks like I will be getting a 1TB sometime next year...oh joy....

oh, but you don't have to install the full game right? if you want to play from the disc? it just installs a small portion of the game. correct?

I wouldn't want 40-50GB taken up just for 1 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"