Sequels The Official Remy LeBeau/Gambit Thread

Hahah, now way! I would never do that to Gambit. I know Gambit's character has been watered down. But i don't think making him young but with a lot of experience is a bad thing. Like i said the guy is a thief and has lived on the streets. You don't have to be 30 to have a lot of life expercience. And i think it would make sense if Storm was the only one that trusted him that he would try to prove the rest of them wrong and show his loyalty. He should just go about it differently. Remember that episode of TAS "Slave Island"? Remember how Gambit rescued Storm and Jubilee. That's how he should prove his loyalty. I agree with the rest of your post though. They should not make him into the prefect boyfriend. I hate that.

I dont understand why a lot of you want whiney bad acting young kids to play these roles. Having Josh Holloway would bring a mature aspect to the movie. I have been an x-men fan for a long time and im 22 yrs old but i feel like they keep many of these young actors and basically "high school" problems to appeal to the kids that fall into the pg13 rating.

Josh Halloway is way too old. They need a good unknown actor.

Completely agreed.

Besides, don't like Josh look at all.

He can have a lot experience and still be relatively young. The guy was raised as a thief. He can be 24,25,26 and still have that experience and worldliness. I don't like the idea of him being as old as Storm. Storm should see the potential in him to do good when no else trusts him, if he's as old as her i don't think their relationship would have the same affect. (yes i find the Storm/Gambit relationship important to their characters)
I completely agree with this point. Storm/Gambit is very important. Without Storm as the leader of the X-Men seeing potential in him, he's out in the streets. It's hard to see "potential" in a 40-year old. Again, 40-year old thieves are very hard to see "potential" in and be sympathetic toward.

Can't remember who and don't feel like checking said:
And changing him just to make him sympathetic is wrong. The character *isn't* just a mis-guided kid like some Romy folks would have you believe. Gambit is a hardened criminal who knew what he was doing but didn't care until the Mutant Massacre gave him a metaphorical swift kick.
If you want to make an indy film that will appeal to a small cult fan base, you can make him a serial killer for all I care. But when you're trying to make a film as big as the X-Men series, you should consider what the people will respond to. Honestly, I don't respond well to the 40-year old hardened criminal having a sudden epiphany that really doesn't present many behavioral changes (he's still shady, he's still secretive, and he still flirts with every woman he comes across. All that changes really is that he's working for the "good guys".) I respond a lot better to a young man who's been shoved around by life, who took a few wrong turns, and who wants to change but is afraid to. A change of heart without a lot of changed attitudes makes sense at that age. It doesn't make sense at 40. The 40-year old who has an almost invisible epiphany doesn't make for a good hero. You can only be so much of an anti-hero before you become a villian.

PS: I hope I didn't come across too harsh. I've been watching a lot of House lately. XD

canemacar said:
And changing him just to make him sympathetic is wrong. The character *isn't* just a mis-guided kid like some Romy folks would have you believe. Gambit is a hardened criminal who knew what he was doing but didn't care until the Mutant Massacre gave him a metaphorical swift kick.
Oh, I'd also like to add that it's not really "changing the character", so much as it is adjusting the character's age so that the character makes more sense. Turning Callisto into a hottie with super-speed? Now that's changing a character. ;)

I guess I too would prefer that they cast a relatively unknown (not necessarily "young") actor rather than the likes of Josh Holloway. The notion of Holloway as Gambit just feels like an attempt to replace Wolverine to me.

I completely agree with this point. Storm/Gambit is very important. Without Storm as the leader of the X-Men seeing potential in him, he's out in the streets. It's hard to see "potential" in a 40-year old. Again, 40-year old thieves are very hard to see "potential" in and be sympathetic toward.

She didn't recruit him because she saw "potential" in him. You forget that she had been de-aged to a child when they met. She saw him as something like a big brother. Which fits with the experienced and world-wise figure I'm talking about.

If you want to make an indy film that will appeal to a small cult fan base, you can make him a serial killer for all I care. But when you're trying to make a film as big as the X-Men series, you should consider what the people will respond to.

Which is why they changed Wolverine from a short and unpleasant guy into the tall, handsome, romance novel-esque guy he was in the films. Yes, I know they tend to make concepts more pretty for the films. The thing is; they've been doing that with Gambit in the comics for years and it's been disastrous.

Honestly, I don't respond well to the 40-year old hardened criminal having a sudden epiphany that really doesn't present many behavioral changes (he's still shady, he's still secretive, and he still flirts with every woman he comes across. All that changes really is that he's working for the "good guys".)

Causing the genocide of a society of outcasts is a bit more than a "sudden epiphany" as are the behavioral changes that comes from it (being shady and secretive is part of his personality; what he dropped was the self-centeredness and the apathy for the plights of others).

I respond a lot better to a young man who's been shoved around by life, who took a few wrong turns, and who wants to change but is afraid to.

And that kind of sappy sob story just bores the hell out of me.

A change of heart without a lot of changed attitudes makes sense at that age. It doesn't make sense at 40.

Actually, I'd say it makes perfect sense. People become set in their ways.

The 40-year old who has an almost invisible epiphany doesn't make for a good hero.

Again with this "almost invisible" stuff. The fact that he joins a superhero team and sets his life on the line isn't proof that he's changed? He has to be a clean-cut bore in order to be good?

You can only be so much of an anti-hero before you become a villian.

And Gambit is supposed to be on the line that separates the two. It's one of his defining characteristics. I know women like bad boys because they want to see the good in them and all, but you can't brush away all the less pleasant things or you'll end up with an entirely different character.

I guess I too would prefer that they cast a relatively unknown (not necessarily "young") actor rather than the likes of Josh Holloway. The notion of Holloway as Gambit just feels like an attempt to replace Wolverine to me.

Ummm...Thats exactly what they're trying to do it. Thats why they kept him out of the first couple movies; so he can be the "Replacement Wolverine" when Jackman gets tired of being Logan. They even admitted it.

She didn't recruit him because she saw "potential" in him. You forget that she had been de-aged to a child when they met. She saw him as something like a big brother. Which fits with the experienced and world-wise figure I'm talking about.
Unless you want to de-age Storm in the movies (which I'm sure we both agree wouldn't make sense), she's gonna have to see something in him.

Causing the genocide of a society of outcasts is a bit more than a "sudden epiphany" as are the behavioral changes that comes from it (being shady and secretive is part of his personality; what he dropped was the self-centeredness and the apathy for the plights of others).

Actually, I'd say it makes perfect sense. People become set in their ways.
Which is the reason I find 40-year old Gambit less believable than 24-year old Gambit. He'd have been set in his ways by 40, and I don't find it very believable that he would change.

Again with this "almost invisible" stuff. The fact that he joins a superhero team and sets his life on the line isn't proof that he's changed? He has to be a clean-cut bore in order to be good?
Obviously, I haven't been saying that. :oldrazz:

And Gambit is supposed to be on the line that separates the two. It's one of his defining characteristics. I know women like bad boys because they want to see the good in them and all, but you can't brush away all the less pleasant things or you'll end up with an entirely different character.
I'm not saying to take him off that line. I'm just saying, don't cross it. I don't want to change his personality; I just think his personality and the way his life experiences have affected him makes more sense if he is younger.

Ummm...Thats exactly what they're trying to do it. Thats why they kept him out of the first couple movies; so he can be the "Replacement Wolverine" when Jackman gets tired of being Logan. They even admitted it.
That would be awful, if they tried to do that. Gambit is his own character. Trying to make him Wolvie V2.0 would be the killer for his character, not age.

Unless you want to de-age Storm in the movies (which I'm sure we both agree wouldn't make sense), she's gonna have to see something in him.

I don't think so. He isn't, or shouldn't, be trying to become a rank and file X-man. He does his own thing and if that means working with the X-men, then so much the better. He doesn't have to prove anything to Storm or anyone else.

Which is the reason I find 40-year old Gambit less believable than 24-year old Gambit. He'd have been set in his ways by 40, and I don't find it very believable that he would change.

Causing a *full-scale genocide* can do a lot to change a person's paradigms.

Obviously, I haven't been saying that. :oldrazz:

You're certainly trying to take away the shady, experienced, and dangerous parts of him.

I'm not saying to take him off that line. I'm just saying, don't cross it. I don't want to change his personality; I just think his personality and the way his life experiences have affected him makes more sense if he is younger.

And I'm saying making him younger does just that. He isn't a misguided kid and making him one changes the character. Go read Oliver Twist if that what you're looking for.

I don't think so. He isn't, or shouldn't, be trying to become a rank and file X-man. He does his own thing and if that means working with the X-men, then so much the better. He doesn't have to prove anything to Storm or anyone else.
Sorry to not answer anything in your post, but I don't think I can answer without repeating what I've already said (multiple times). We've reached the end of the argument on those points, and just have to agree to disagree or else it's just get real boring. :oldrazz:

As for this point, though: Why would he be recruited to the X-Men? I don't really see how a guy like this could be recruited into a team like the X-Men without somebody having some level of sympathy for him; and again, it's hard to conjure up that kind of sympathy for a 40-year old. In Logan's case, the whole amnesia thing led Xavier to feel sympathy for him; but I don't think Gambit has anything like that about his character.

I agree with the "does his own thing" aspect. In my storyline, he doesn't want to join them, but Storm asks him to stay a couple nights at the Mansion as some level of repayment for her saving his life. He sits in on a class (where he and Logan have that fight I mentioned somewhere earlier) just for the heck of it, but isn't really a student. He joins them on a mission so he can kick some Sentinel booty. He never really "officially" joins them at all; he just does his own thing and ends up with them - hardly a "rank and file X-Man". That's how I have my 24-year old Gambit joining the team.

Sorry to not answer anything in your post, but I don't think I can answer without repeating what I've already said (multiple times). We've reached the end of the argument on those points, and just have to agree to disagree or else it's just get real boring. :oldrazz:

I suppose. You want him to be a Byronic Hero and I want him to be an Anti-Hero

As for this point, though: Why would he be recruited to the X-Men? I don't really see how a guy like this could be recruited into a team like the X-Men without somebody having some level of sympathy for him; and again, it's hard to conjure up that kind of sympathy for a 40-year old. In Logan's case, the whole amnesia thing led Xavier to feel sympathy for him; but I don't think Gambit has anything like that about his character.

Who says he should even be recruited? I'm not interested in a cliche story about a street kid who gets taken in because he has "potential" and was only a punk because of the bad hand he got dealt blah blah blah. I'm not watching Rebel without a Cause and I don't want to get that kind of cliche badboy story with Gambit.

I agree with the "does his own thing" aspect. In my storyline, he doesn't want to join them, but Storm asks him to stay a couple nights at the Mansion as some level of repayment for her saving his life. He sits in on a class (where he and Logan have that fight I mentioned somewhere earlier) just for the heck of it, but isn't really a student. He joins them on a mission so he can kick some Sentinel booty. He never really "officially" joins them at all; he just does his own thing and ends up with them - hardly a "rank and file X-Man". That's how I have my 24-year old Gambit joining the team.

I'd hate for that to be how the film goes. He's too much like an annoying frat boy and the whole sob story thing would really bug me the whole time: I hate Rogue for that very reason (she's a constant sob story).

I would love to see Gambit as a 40 yr old mutant set in his ways join the x-men in X4. It would be a breath of fresh air if we have an outside mutant who has lived his own life and mastered his powers join and not some kid at school who makes mistakes. It seems like Storm, Wolverine, Jean, Cyclops all of them have been trained and know there powers and how to use them so a great addition for the team should be someone already mature and what better mutant to introduce than gambit?

and so wut if he replaces wolverine, im sick of him lol

I suppose. You want him to be a Byronic Hero and I want him to be an Anti-Hero
What's a byronic hero? XD lol sorry

Who says he should even be recruited? I'm not interested in a cliche story about a street kid who gets taken in because he has "potential" and was only a punk because of the bad hand he got dealt blah blah blah. I'm not watching Rebel without a Cause and I don't want to get that kind of cliche badboy story with Gambit.
Oh, I assumed you'd want him to be with the X-Men? What else would you want?

wolfgang85 said:
I would love to see Gambit as a 40 yr old mutant set in his ways join the x-men in X4. It would be a breath of fresh air if we have an outside mutant who has lived his own life and mastered his powers join and not some kid at school who makes mistakes. It seems like Storm, Wolverine, Jean, Cyclops all of them have been trained and know there powers and how to use them so a great addition for the team should be someone already mature and what better mutant to introduce than gambit?
I think Gambit could be self-trained by his mid-twenties, especially after the procedure Sinister did on him to make his powers more manageable. I don't think he'd make a good student, either.

What's a byronic hero? XD lol sorry

The Byronic hero is the kind of hero the Lord Byron often wrote about during the Victorian era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byronic_hero

Gambit usually turns into one of them when women have creative control (in fan-fics usually, especially the slash kind).

Oh, I assumed you'd want him to be with the X-Men? What else would you want?

I'd prefer for him to be a neutral party, but one that is willing to help the X-men (especially since it helps his own goals as well.)

I think Gambit could be self-trained by his mid-twenties, especially after the procedure Sinister did on him to make his powers more manageable. I don't think he'd make a good student, either.

Sorry, but that just doesn't cut it for me. You can't be a young 'un and still be esperienced and worldly. Those are mutually exclusive.

what if they make gambit brotherhood? they did with multiple-man

Gambit/Remy LeBeau Casting Thread
GAMBIT006_COV.jpg

Copying Angamb's Emma Frost thead, but now it's for Gambit
I know there is a few Gambit casting threads but I'm making the official casting thread. With that being said, if there is an X4, Gambit is most likely to be introduced(Finally!).
So fellow Hypers, how would you cast as the Ragin, Causan(Sp?)?
List your choice/choices for the role, also, try and post pictures of the person so those of us who don't know them or dn't know them by name, can see who you are talking about.​

Let the games begin Mon Ami. ;)

Jared Leto. No Holloway. And isn't there already a thread on this?
jared-leto.jpg

That could be interesting. He could join the X-men to spy on them for Magneto and doesn't have a change of heart. But he would really need a good reason to work for the brotherhood. Maybe he owes Magneto.

yeah there is, i said that in the first post,but im making the official one, theres alot of emma casting thread, but angamb still made one nad im knid of glad he did

btw nice choice i like leto

yeah there is, i said that in the first post,but im making the official one, theres alot of emma casting thread, but angamb still made one nad im knid of glad he did

btw nice choice i like leto
So you get to decide what's "official"? The other ones are just... what... rogue, unlicensed threads where chaos is the rule of the day? You have a monopoly on order? :cool:

Yeah, no Jared Leto. He looks the part and all, but he's a grade-A prick, I can see him going all diva-style and ruining the production.

Eh, I never heard anything bad from movies he's worked on. And he a damned good actor.

sure :), seriously though, i just made a thread because what happened to the other one, and as i said before, theres a bunch of emma casting thread yet angamb made another and he put 'official', why arent you giving him this talk as well? lol ( im not trying to bad talk angamb btw)

anyways my vote goes to the ever popular choice, rodrigo santoro
52957.jpg

but if mods want, they can merge/ or delete this thread

fnl_07_muller.jpg

i casted Taylor Kitsch in my script so i dont wana see anyone else but Kitsch as Gambit

^I have him as Avalanche in mine. I replaced Chad Faust for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"