Age of Ultron The Official Scarlet Witch Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that we've got confirmation that the Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver will be in The Avengers 2, it's time to discuss Wanda Maximoff in all her magical glory.

Who would you like to see play Wanda in the movie? How do you think Joss Whedon should explain the Maximoff's origin with the mutant angle and their relationship with Magneto/Erik Lensherr off-limits?

Personally, I think that Mila Kunis would be ideal for the role. Emmy Rossum and Holland Roden would also be great choices. Whoever Marvel chooses, I'm certain they'll find the right actress because they've had amazing success in casting the team thus far.

tumblr_mj4s2dMnBj1qbn6jwo1_500.png

Well first of all, Thor DOESN'T spend "half the movie" with his shirt off. The hyperbole isn't helping your argument. Second, that's not Thor's SUPERHERO costume that he wears when fighting evil, so the comparison doesn't work. As for "political correctness" if wanting your female characters to wear costumes befitting a superhero that aren't designed PRIMARILY for sex appeal is PC, then I'll GLADLY admit to being PC. The fact that people try to use these strawman arguments to justify the ridiculously oversexualized costumes in comics that make female characters look more like strippers than superheroes, that's what's getting grating. Iron Man's outfit isn't designed primarily to be "sexy," or Thor's, or Cap's, and no one argues that they should be. It's ONLY when female heroes come into the picture that these arguments pop up. I'll tell you what, Wanda can wear that costume if Cap and Tony also spend the entire movie fighting crime in speedos, while Thor wears ass-less chaps. Then it'll be even.

I agree with what you're saying but I don't want to see Thor in assless chaps.

Pietro maybe.

And I particularly agree that wanda should wear something that reflects her essential nature to the avengers as a powerhouse and that thor's arms being exposed isn't the same as being oversexed.

I love everything Olsen is saying. I can see her pulling off the Cassady look. I just hope they don't make her a Carrie rip off with her powers but I'm sure they won't

Scarlet Witch is a gypsy witch with superpowers granted to her by an evil terrorist organization. She's going to look exotic, as befitting her exotic background. *Not* like another generic SHIELD agent in a black jumpsuit, or a normal girl in dowdy street clothes.

Marvel should consult Stevie Nicks for fashion advice.

Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
Are you really asking that question? It's like asking why a female soldier doesn't go into the field in a bikini. Common sense.
1) Wanda's not a soldier.
2) 99% of the combat Wanda sees is from a distance. She's an energy projector, not a melee brawler.
3) Wanda uses her "hex" powers to manipulate probabilities but suddenly her costume is what's too unrealistic!?
4) This overwhelming forced political correctness in EVERY SINGLE AREA of comic-dom is starting to get really, really grating.

Look, Wanda's classic costume fits the character's personality and does not directly inhibit her combat abilities (as she almost never fights hand-to-hand).

No one's complaining that Thor spends half a movie with his shirt off. Stop looking for reasons to get offended

I'm not talking about her 616 outfit :whatever: and no he didn't, it was one scene. There's a different between a woman being in combat in something provocative just to attract male viewers and Thor being in a scene shirtless. I'm not looking for reasons to be offended, I am offended that women are dressed as a way to attract obviously sad and horny men like you. It's degrading and sets women out to be a piece of eye candy rather than human beings. You can't talk, as a man you have been represented in nearly every superhero film. Check your privilege.

Last edited:
Well... That escalated quickly.

The tone of these posts are getting a wee bit hostile though. I'd rather spare any outrage I have over sexism in movies for whether Marvel or WB/DC finally get their ish together and give us a female-led project, or a hero-of-color-led project. Or more POC actresses for these movies....

But that's not about Wanda. Sexy costumes are fine, IMO; if i get to ogle at Cap's butt and Thor's arms for a while, I can be fine with some body-hugging costume or jumpsuit for Scarlet Witch.

Personally, I think they can take queues from either the Cassaday artwork for UA and craft her an elegant costume. There are also ways to adapt the more risqué Ultimates costume to something both utilitarian and feminine and sexy.

I would love to Wanda with an actual cape though. I think that would be so much fun.

I seriously would be fine with her 616 outfit, as long as it didn't show major cleveage and had heels. But I'm happy, Olson has already confirmed it's going to be a bit more "grounded".

I would super adore a callback to her classic 616 outfit; for me that's the Scarlet Witch look I grew up with!

The good thing about Marvel are their concept artists and vision. Aesthetics-wise, they really haven't messed up yet.

Now that we've got confirmation that the Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver will be in The Avengers 2, it's time to discuss Wanda Maximoff in all her magical glory.

Who would you like to see play Wanda in the movie? How do you think Joss Whedon should explain the Maximoff's origin with the mutant angle and their relationship with Magneto/Erik Lensherr off-limits?

Personally, I think that Mila Kunis would be ideal for the role. Emmy Rossum and Holland Roden would also be great choices. Whoever Marvel chooses, I'm certain they'll find the right actress because they've had amazing success in casting the team thus far.

tumblr_mj4s2dMnBj1qbn6jwo1_500.png

I'd be fine with an outfit like that for Wanda, even if there isn't as much cleavage showing. I want something that retains this look though. However, i would prefer a cape.

Mega-cleavage would not be a problem for Ms. Olsen. But I'm glad they arent going that route personally. I'm sure there will be some subtle cues to her classic outfits, and that will be enough.

And I think you guys are jumping the gun on her MCU backstory. We don't know yet, plain and simple.

I wonder if they will be referring to her as a gypsy in the movie. For one, it is considered to be a derogatory term by many Romani people. For another, it doesn't sit right with me to have blonde haired, blue eyed Elizabeth Olsen play a Romani (especially when you consider how white the Avengers team currently is - you missed an opportunity there, Whedon).

Then again, Hollywood doesn't seem to particularly care about this stuff. Noomi Rapace played a Romani fortune teller in Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, I don't remember reading any controversy about it (especially when compared to say, Johnny Depp as Tonto). And it's not like the Romani people have a particularly vocal presence in the United States.

I wonder if they will be referring to her as a gypsy in the movie. For one, it is considered to be a derogatory term by many Romani people. For another, it doesn't sit right with me to have blonde haired, blue eyed Elizabeth Olsen play a Romani (especially when you consider how white the Avengers team currently is - you missed an opportunity there, Whedon).

Then again, Hollywood doesn't seem to particularly care about this stuff. Noomi Rapace played a Romani fortune teller in Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, I don't remember reading any controversy about it (especially when compared to say, Johnny Depp as Tonto). And it's not like the Romani people have a particularly vocal presence in the United States.

Everyone's getting too PC these days. That's how everything becomes completely bland and characterless. I think it would be great for Scarlet to be a gypsy and to have that kind of costume. And the Romani people aren't exactly a huge market. Even if they don't use that word, they can still have her retain those characteristics.

Or maybe people are over **** and ass being the go to look for female characters in comic movies...

For me personally on paper as far as costumes are concerned anything goes for the most part in live medium it needs to make some sense to me.

Or maybe people are over **** and ass being the go to look for female characters in comic movies...

Maybe I'm over males being shirtless in every movie...but you know what I get over it.

I'm not just talking about costumes here either. But honestly look at what this generation wears, is Hollywood supposed to go against the norm. I live on a college campus I see skimpy dress in class, at the bars, wherever. If women want to quit being seen as objects, don't dress that way, otherwise get over it.

On a side note, people talking about isms on a blog isnt going to solve anything, the PC crowd drives me nuts. If you wanna solve issues you go out and work for it, be nicer and more considerate every day. Wish I could find the quote of Morgan Freeman's solution on racism. He basically said it would go away if people quit bringing it up. Whining about it doesn't do a darn thing.

And next time you take a shot at me, don't be so vulgar and so you know cursing isn't allowed here buddy.

Done with rant, I'm sidetracking a thread and I apologize.

The big difference is that you're not a superhero. You also aren't a part of a massive movie that's going to be seen by tens of millions of people. You're not a character that people are supposed to look up to. And you're not fighting crime in those outfits. So really, the two situations are not even remotely comparable.

Maybe I'm over males being shirtless in every movie...but you know what I get over it.
Totally different and you know it.

The eye candy scene with Alice Eve in Star Trek Into Darkness was pandering, but it was fine. Why? Because it made sense in the context of the scene. It was pandering yes, but she was not in her undies the res of the film because it would have made no sense other than to pander, the same way an over-sexualized costume would look for Scarlet Witch like the incestuous Ultimate version. And with a 'sexy' costume like that being used, it is hard to ignore the incest angle considering that's the sexual overtone that is associated with that costume.

And clearly, you're not over shirtless men if you have to bring it up.

I'm not just talking about costumes here either. But honestly look at what this generation wears, is Hollywood supposed to go against the norm. I live on a college campus I see skimpy dress in class, at the bars, wherever. If women want to quit being seen as objects, don't dress that way, otherwise get over it.
This section is just drooling with misogyny, but I'm just gonna respond to the last sentence.

No matter how anyone dresses, it does not mean they are inviting a stereotype of being treated like an object.
But to go with your ridiculous mindset, the fans of Scarlet Witch more than likely do not want her to be treated like an object, which is why some of us don't want the skanky version of her, character or costume, in the movie.

On a side note, people talking about isms on a blog isnt going to solve anything, the PC crowd drives me nuts. If you wanna solve issues you go out and work for it, be nicer and more considerate every day. Wish I could find the quote of Morgan Freeman's solution on racism. He basically said it would go away if people quit bringing it up. Whining about it doesn't do a darn thing.
And again, when it has come to movie costumes for female characters on this forum, it's usually those wanting **** and ass bringing it up non-stop or making overly revealing costume manips so they can get the comic looks, when it looks ridiculous for the characters in live action.

And next time you take a shot at me, don't be so vulgar and so you know cursing isn't allowed here buddy.

Done with rant, I'm sidetracking a thread and I apologize.
Saying **** and ass isn't cursing/swearing as vulgar as you may find it; It's the same amount of vulgar as the skanky look some don't want in Scarlet Witch.

And just so we're clear, I didn't take a shot at anyone specific, in fact, it was a response to the shot/comment saying everyone is too PC. Just because you happened to agree with it, don't assume it was directed at you alone.

You had no need to rant. At all.

I wonder if something similar to Tara's outfit here would work (she's the one on the right).

239051_1242856511265_full.jpg

You have some sexiness with the corset, without the look being T&A focused. It also provides a visually different look from Black Widow's darker, tight-fitting outfit.

The big difference is that you're not a superhero. You also aren't a part of a massive movie that's going to be seen by tens of millions of people. You're not a character that people are supposed to look up to. And you're not fighting crime in those outfits. So really, the two situations are not even remotely comparable.

Who's fighting crime in the MCU....? :huh:

Honestly, most of the reason I don't want super skimpy outfits is that I think, too much of the time, they look poorly designed and cheap. I just cannot see how something like Starfire's bikini, or Vampirella's pasties could possibly look like anything other than Fredrick's of Hollywood bargain basement bin on the big screen.

That said, I think I've seen some pretty good cosplay of those characters, and of others, including Scarlet Witch, but the materials used
don't really come together well through a camera. So the translation really does need to be carefully thought out and planned, which I'm sure it is for this movie.

That was part of my objection with the manip of Olsen in the Ultimates costume. I thought it looked too Frederick's as it was. Now… it would be very interesting if they did something similar to that costume, but make it more of a jumpsuit, maybe make the top a halter top and give her a cape. Also, either give her wedge heels or thicker boots for running… But she can have some sort of elevated shoe, heel or whatever.

I do want it somewhat functional maybe, but it's not a requirement. More than anything, it should reflect the character. If she's going to wear something sexy, make it germane to what she does, her personality, her powers, etc. Look at Emma Frost. She kicks so much butt and look at what she wears.

One of my all time favorite female characters spent a lot of her time kicking all the ass in midriff-baring tops, halters, heels, skirts, all sorts of stuff you'd find at Forever 21. Who am I talking about, you ask?

tumblr_n013xkzQx91srr0hjo1_250.gif

I like how this is already on the second thread while Quicksilver's thread is dead lol.

I… would not object if they decided QS needed to go shirtless.

For aerodynamics and whatnot.

Just saying.

I like how this is already on the second thread while Quicksilver's thread is dead lol.
Let's be real, no one really cares that much about Quicksilver. He's okay and all, but Scarlet Witch and Vision are the exciting additions. With Quicksilver, he's SW's brother, he runs fast and he's a *****e. Not much else to say, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"